Who's anticipating Southern Cross?

Keith

Ok, it shipped, now it's just waiting for the damn thing to arrive.

Has anyone gotten a hold of it yet? I find myself anticipating it more than I expected. I'm starting to remember bits & pieces of mangled robotech plot from when I watched it in 85. I can't wait to see how much more sense the original makes :)

Whats weird is that I was in Best Buy today, and they had Southern Cross and Genesis Climber in their anime section, but I never saw SDF there.....Why?

Simple

ADV: Large player in market

Animeigo: Niche player in market

ADV simply has larger market share and links with retailers than Animeigo.

Cyc

Ok, got my set today. I won't have a chance to watch it until later, but I did take a peak at the book included. It's not nearly as interview intensive as the Mospeada one, there are a couple of paragraphs, but not too much. There is an extensive chart of different military factions, as well as some character & mecha bio's. Overall, not bad at all.

I'll give more impressions tomorrow once I actaully watch some episodes.

Ok, got my set today. I won't have a chance to watch it until later, but I did take a peak at the book included. It's not nearly as interview intensive as the Mospeada one, there are a couple of paragraphs, but not too much. There is an extensive chart of different military factions, as well as some character & mecha bio's. Overall, not bad at all.

I'll give more impressions tomorrow once I actaully watch some episodes.

Thanks for the heads-up K! Seems like I'll have to get this one after all. The military factions chart, as well as character and mecha bios are a very nice added bonus..especially since I don't know much about the original SC.

I'd be interested to hear about how the set actually looks when you have had a chance to watch it. Didn't ADV also do a restoration job on SC? I'd be interested to know how that turned out. It should look a bit better...albeit, not as good as SDF Macross did after Animeigo's restoration. (yes, I realize nothing so extensive was planned for the SC set) But still, just wondering how SC looks in comparison to the RT Masters set.

Anyone know where I can find screen shots comparing the two?

Thanks,

Melissa

Watched the first disc last night.

Video: Remastered definately, colors are brighter, but it's also noticably granier than Mospeada, and has that same blue cast to it. Overall as good as could be expected.

Audio: Pretty good, but also has a fair amount of static in it. Probably due to the show being less maintained than Mospeada.

Extra's: Just some line art & clean opening & ending on the 5th disc, and some previews on the 4th disc.

The show is fun so far, but the terrible mecha designs is probably what hurt its potential & got its run shortened.

I'm interesting in know if the original Dana, I think her name was Jeanne in SDC, is like. Please tell she's more mature or at least less annoying then the Robotech Dana.

I haven't found her annoying. While she does still ignore orders, rush into battles, etc, she's still pretty good natured, and is all business when a battle is in action. Plus the regular showers don't hurt either.

The plot so far is pretty simple, not too much background on the Zor, and what is told is told through exposition at the beginning of each episode (like in the second or 3rd episode when we're told over the city PA that they found out the aliens are called Zor by monitoring their communications). The familiar Macross Seiyuu also help entertain. Overall, I'd say whle a weaker show than Orguss, it's still fun.

BTW, the episode count is 5/5/5/4/4

Whats weird is that I was in Best Buy today, and they had Southern Cross and Genesis Climber in their anime section, but I never saw SDF there.....Why?

Simple

Cyc

Sometimes I have to wonder if Animeigo was the best choice to have released Macross because of this. Mospeada and Southern Cross are a lot less popular and a lot less recognized then Macross, but yet the DVD sets for those two series have been appearing at a lot more stores (like Best Buy) and at much more economical prices then the Macross DVD sets. Animeigo pushing its Macross DVD's outside of the internet market has been kind of abysmal.

This seems to add to the conspiracist theories that Harmony Gold is trying to keep Macross, even the TV series it has rights to, buried from the public.

Simple

Cyc

Sometimes I have to wonder if Animeigo was the best choice to have released Macross because of this. Mospeada and Southern Cross are a lot less popular and a lot less recognized then Macross, but yet the DVD sets for those two series have been appearing at a lot more stores (like Best Buy) and at much more economical prices then the Macross DVD sets. Animeigo pushing its Macross DVD's outside of the internet market has been kind of abysmal.

This seems to add to the conspiracist theories that Harmony Gold is trying to keep Macross, even the TV series it has rights to, buried from the public.

I seem to recall lots of people here prefering Animeigo release Macross because they would put more care and attention into it than other companies such as ADV...

Cyc

I dont want to buy anything ADV. However I will probably end up buying this. That is, if an HK doesnt pop up soon.

And its freakin ridiculous that its being sold for 100 dollars at most places!! Who would pay 100 dollars for Southern Cross? Its a good show, but a second rate show. I cant wait to see it. But nowhere in my mind is it worth a freakin hundred dollars. Thats ludicrous.

And for the love of all that is good, I hope ADV never gets their hands on Dorvack or Dougram or Laserion or Tobikage or anything of the sort.

Everyone knows...

Sunrise = Bandai.

Ashi = Some Random Company No One Knows About. (Software Sculptors or some other one.)

And no one even cares about Laserion or Tobikage ^__^

What im bloody perplexed by is why havent these shows been licenced? They have immense marketing potential, and theyre well liked by everyone who sees them!

Guystars.

Cyber Formula.

Sonic Soldier Borgman.

Heavy Metal L-Gaim.

Theyre some of the best, and yet it seems no companies really care. Its odd.

At any rate ^___^ The Southern Cross transforming helicopter is AWESOME!!! Whoopie!

-BEN-MAN-

$100? Are you sure that's not in Yen, or maybe Pesos? :p Jeeze, I paid $80CDN for my Mospeada set.

Yep. Deep Discount DVD has it for $60 US:

Link

Don't buy box sets like this at retail unless you don't mind getting raped on the markup. If you just can't stand to do mail order, Best Buy usually has reasonable prices. You'd have to be nuts to pay MSRP on something like this, though. Shop around.

I seem to recall lots of people here prefering Animeigo release Macross because they would put more care and attention into it than other companies such as ADV...

I'm one of those people. Sure they weren't exactly cheap, but you get what you pay for.

The treatment given to Macross by AnimEigo absolutley wouldn't have been close if done by ADV. The box art "may" have been better, but that's about it.

Bottom line is, those who want to find Macross, will find Macross. I doubt the sales on Mospeada or Southern Cross will top the sales of Macross.

I probably won't pick this up, as for one, I only watch HK anime, and if I was going to pick up an R1 DVD, be a cold chance in Hell is would be an ADV one.

But, also, there's something about the show that's always kept me away from it. i don't know what though. I've seen a few episodes of it Robotech style, and I just completely hated the show. Maybe one day I'll check it out, but as of now, I have no interest in SC. Now Mospeada is another story.

Simple

Cyc

Possibly true.

But...

Animeigo is/was and still is, the best choice to get the Macross subtitles near-perfect and re-mastered video correctly. They are known for their perfect/near-perfect translations of their catalogue-titles over the years since VHS days.

That said and just to reinforced what was already stated before, Animeigo is a known small shop with smaller staffing and smaller pockets to buy shelf-space on retail-stores as compared to ADV Films, Bandai-USA, Funimation, VIZ and Pioneer/Geneon. That's why you normally don't see Animeigo titles on regular retail-stores like Best-Buy.

The only other anime-shop that can outdo Animeigo in every aspect is that other small-shop named Synch-Point. SP even beat Animeigo in the friggin delayed-release department. ^_^

fwiw, I'm hoping/wishing that Synch-Point gets the official DYRL and Macross-Zero r1-license instead of the other shops, including Animeigo.

--treatment--

Edited by treatment

A heads up: Click here For anyone that did pick up the SC set, there has been a glitch found on disc 4. I won't be up to that episode until later tonight, but it's damned annoying if true. Damn you ADV, I've dodged all your glitched bullets until now, you bastards!

HAHA! And you defend ADV Keith! And now your bitten in the ass by em ^_^ What'cha gonna do? Swat em away? Or give em a cookie and say "Your such a good boy you horrible unhonorable shight ridden company!" ? LOL ^__^ Just joking. But its half true.

Your awesome Vinny! Im the same way. I havent bought an adv product (dont capitalize adv, it doesnt deserve that honor) since I realised how bad they were a few years back. However there is no way to watch Southern Cross.. So maybe I'll stoop so low as to buy this site.. Dunno..

At any rate ^_____^

-BEN-MAN-

Tip for those of you within easy travel distance of Japantown in San Francisco: the video store there (I forget the name, but it's on the second floor) has both the ADV Mospeada set and the ADV Southern Cross set there for rental (I believe as single discs). Unfortunately, it's a little too far for me, since I'm in the East Bay.

Hey shut up! They'll replace the disc's....probably in a month or so...probably.

It's still watchable, the backgrounds are fine, but anything/body moving has a bit of a strobe effect. Besides, the Mospeada set was a solid good set....and I never said ADV didn't suck, I just said I want a perfect subtitled version of Megazone 23 damnit!

i got mine today. the box coudl be better. it looks cheap. the insert is vcery informative. has alto fo godo stuff form the sereis. including a rank chart of officers. the video quality si decent for an old sereis like this. they trasnlated the song and put th eromanji so you cna sing with it. it;s nto very catchy imho. I do like th serei sso far however. soem sequaence happen in a wierd order if your used to robotech events.

ali

Tip for those of you within easy travel distance of Japantown in San Francisco: the video store there (I forget the name, but it's on the second floor) has both the ADV Mospeada set and the ADV Southern Cross set there for rental (I believe as single discs). Unfortunately, it's a little too far for me, since I'm in the East Bay.

I believe that place is called 'Japan Video.'

Watched the last episode on disc one tonight. I like the package, better art and layout than the craptastic Mospeada set, at least they bothered to track down some original art for the cover rather than making it up. I've run into a few bugs on my disc one so far: The subs have hung up twice. Meaning the subs are going along just fine and then all of a sudden they stop on one line and you have to totally stop the disc and restart it to fix the hangup. It's akin to "Bootleg Lag" and it's fix is the same.

All in all I like the transfer. On my Wega with component inputs running through a dolby 6.1 system the picture is crystal clear and the sound is even... albeit the sound might as well be mono as the first five episodes had about as many surround sound effects as the Great Train Robbery. The picture does have a very blue-green tint to it, but then again it seems everything from that era had that tint (Mospeada, Orguss, etc.) The subbing is top notch as are the translations and as others have said the instert makes the maze of Southern Cross military structure a bit more palatable to the uninitiated.

Oh and I know I've said this a gabillion times already but: Southern Cross is not Robotech Masters, who knows you just might like it. Hell, I gave Macross 7 a complete watching so you owe it to yourselves to at least see the original once before giving up on it.

You know what? I spoke too soon again.

Has anyone that has the set read through the booklet and caught all the errors? Did anyone who knows anything about the original show even bother to proofread this thing? I took it from cover to cover just now and caught a minimum of 5 glaring "obvious" errors.

I was pleasantly surprised by the ending, definately not what I was expecting after robotech.

Spoilers

Seifret destroye the Zor ship, and the pieces destroyed the Protozor plants, leaving all Glorie inhabitents safe from their tri-effects.

I won't be able to afford this until next year. I have too many things to get, so right now, this, Sailor Moon R, and Indiana Jones are on my list for next year's stuff to buy.

What are the errors?

Errors I've caught so far:

Organizational Chart:

- Strategic Armored Corps Division says "second lieutenant's arming doublet" but shows the sergent's one

- Mountain Squad Division says it's mecha is the "Protozor"

- Strategic Armored Corps Division Squad 15 shows Andrejz' armor as a lieutenant rather than a sergent

- The completely do not name the Desert Squad's unique mecha, the Basilisk, instead saying "Also has a mecha"

Character & Mechanics I:

- The description of the Auroran is worded to show the three versions of it (telling you to refer to pictures top, middle and bottom), but they only show the battroid.

- Calls the Walker Cannon form of the Spartas a "Gerwalk" and then in the same paragraph calls it the Walker Cannon

... these are the only ones I've caught so far, I'm sure there might be a few more hiding in there somewhere. I just find it terrible as some of these are rank amateur editing mistakes that anyone who as watched the show would notice and the others are just signs of a rush job and no one familiar with the material checking the booklet.

I don't care about the subs treatment for errors because all anime dvds have mistranslated subs, no matter what company it is from.

Is it true about the video problems on one of the eps on disc 4?