Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

Here's the scan of my 25th Anniversery logo concert sticker.

Graham

Thanks Graham. You're awesome.

Although, I gotta wonder if this is really the best they came up with... OK, so Macross is a military show, so I'll let the use of Stencil go, but Stencil and Brush Script? Thanks again for the scan, but it doesn't really fit with what I'm doing for the wallpaper. I might try plan B instead.

Edited by Kelsain

Yes, old news~~~

But on Megumi's Official Website, there is a update about her.

http://www.nakajimamegumi.com/media/

It is only write "09/10(月)『Newtype』" and "MEDIA UP"

what's mean?

SORRY, I do not know...

Newtype Magazine (not sure which one, character voice etc.) in September or October (could mean the October issue, which is released in September.)

Media Up... not sure. I did a check on google, as at first I thought it was some kind of (TV) show. Now, I'm thinking it simply means "media section has been updated" or "media has been uploaded to the website."

I'm keeping my eye out for the next issue of Newtype. I am getting the scratchy feeling that something Macross related will be in it.

Edited by sketchley

Hi guys, I've been a lurker for a long time here, came back today to catch up on the new Macross series and read about these new trailer so I started digging the internet: so far these are the only images I could found about it...hope they aren't fake.

http://robotjapan.proboards12.com/index.cg...6105&page=1

Welcome to MacrossWorld Izakhar!

Though the pictures were psoted previously in this thread, we appreciate your effort nonetheless. Hopefully a trailer will be available online soon and your seduction back into Macross will be complete :)

Didn't want to start a new thread in case the mods got mad or something so I´ll ask here.

So what kind of technology do you guys think the new valks will feature ? based on what the whole evolution of valkyries has been so far.

I myself expect the new valks to have some kind in built-in fold device and some new use of pin point technology ( bigger pin point shields maybe)

I was actually thinking pin-point barrier equipped missiles was always a potentially deadly new concept in Macross. It would alter the dynamics of Macross Mecha combat in certain ways, since the highly advance accuracy brought about by OverTechnology mecha allowed the shooting down of missiles in flight with gunpods and lasers. I figured, what better way to make battle more interesting?

I was also thinking perhaps the composite material wing of the YF-21 (the "liquid wing") would find application in a more advanced UN Spacy. But yeah, this is more geek dreaming than anything else :)

If Macross Frontier went one step further beyond just micronization of fold technology, I could think of some seriously fun ways to use it.

*evil grin*

Tactical fold jumping in Valkyrie combat would...be...AWESOME! Power usage would no doubt regulate rampant use of the capability, but oh what anime-like fun could be had with "blinking" mecha in battle. I'm REALLY surprised no one has done this yet, especially since the visual style of fast-paced anime combat seems so well suited to this kind of science fiction concept. Hell, the way some anime is drawn and edited, it already feels like mecha pop out of nowhere :)

What do ya think?

Edited by Mr March

the more I look at that battroid, the more I'm disliking it, it doesn't look good at all...need better pics...I hope it's some kind of cannon fodder, cause yuck

what I would like is for the valks to be more agile, as in the capacity to engage in some sort of hand to hand combat or infiltrate capital ships and do some sort of SWAT thing.... would be nice, hehehe, IMHO, one of the best scene from the classic SDFM, is when Hikaru fights Breetai and gets owned by him, hehe, I've always been itching to see more of this

Edited by Valkyrie addict

I like the idea of pinpoint barrier missiles, though, given the current level of tech in the macross universe, it would probably be more in line to see it on larger capital ship busting missiles rather than on micro missiles.

And tactical fold jump capable valks would be awesome! It was even alluded to in mac plus but never fully realized, I thought. It would be great to see special forces type operations of fold capable valks jumping in behind enemy lines and taking out key installations to allow a more conventional strikes by regular forces. Kinda the same idea as the way current armed forces use stealth vehicles to clear out radar and key targets before non stealth aircraft move in.

It may well be the age of omni-directional barriers in limited use on fighters and on a greater scale with the cap ships. This will allow for much more drawn out slugfests. However power requirements would naturally limit it's extended use.

The idea of short distance Super Dimensional Hops for the SOC fighters would be cool too! I'd like to see rail guns in use. After researching those bad boys, it surprises me that Mac II incorporated them, but Studio Nue has yet to, considering how powerful they are. The idea of micro reactors providing power and a larger magazine capacity is ideal for any combat weapons system, be it a gun pod or Strike Pack.

Then there is the idea of using holograms to provide visual stealth for SOC fighters to accompany any Cyclops stealth abilities.

I was actually thinking pin-point barrier equipped missiles was always a potentially deadly new concept in Macross. It would alter the dynamics of Macross Mecha combat in certain ways, since the highly advance accuracy brought about by OverTechnology mecha allowed the shooting down of missiles in flight with gunpods and lasers. I figured, what better way to make battle more interesting?
That's an extremely cool idea. I'd also think a pinpoint-barrier tip would confer some significant armor piercing ability a la the Daedalus attack.

I was also thinking perhaps the composite material wing of the YF-21 (the "liquid wing") would find application in a more advanced UN Spacy. But yeah, this is more geek dreaming than anything else :)
My only concern would be how to make it work in a toy. You gotta think of the merchandising! :D

Tactical fold jumping in Valkyrie combat would...be...AWESOME! Power usage would no doubt regulate rampant use of the capability, but oh what anime-like fun could be had with "blinking" mecha in battle. I'm REALLY surprised no one has done this yet, especially since the visual style of fast-paced anime combat seems so well suited to this kind of science fiction concept. Hell, the way some anime is drawn and edited, it already feels like mecha pop out of nowhere :)
What's really cool about this idea is that you could take someone out of battle without killing them. If you only have power for one more jump, and you use it to escape a missile volley, then you're out of the fight.

What do ya think?
Me likey!

Hey, wait. What about folding missles? :ph34r:

Edited by danth

Now THAT's the proper way to celebrate the 25th Anniversary.

Anyone know who's who?

From the right to left, Megumi Nakajima, Mari Ijima, unknown (cant's see him well enough), unknown, unknown, Yoshiki Fukuyama, looks like the drummer, unknown, probably Chie Kajiura.

For technology in MF for the valkyries, the wrap around holographic display system of the 19 would likely be standard issue. I doubt there will be BCS or BDI incorporated in anything except for some kind of special operations valkyrie. I don't know about omni-directional barriers, but I'm sure there will be larger pin-point barriers in use.

I wouldn't be surprised if the newest generation of valkyries incorporate some kind of optical camouflage in addition to upped stealth capabilities (with limitations of course, since it's probably still new technology).

Man, I'm looking forward to Yoko Kanno's music. :) That's a pleasant surprise to have her return to the Macross Universe.

using fold bubbles as weapons would be interesting as well, such as using the edge of the fold effect to cut capital ships in half when folding out.

That's pretty cool though fold reactors are huge energy suckers and to fit them into missiles to generate a big enough fold bubble is kinda expensive sounding.

Well since we're in this topic....I was always wondering why can't they use the original Barrier system? The barrier destroys everything in a wide radius once its overloaded that's why they use the Pin Point Barrier instead to negate this. You'd think they would've found a way to make omni-directional shields that don't overload OR at least the computer knows how to disable it once it reaches critical. And even if it still overloads....why not use it to clear the path off enemies? Send a dummy ship with a full barrier system......let enemies fire at it or the main macross ship fires a shot of macross cannon at it from afar and intentionally overloads the shield to cause cataclysmic damage at the enemy's fleet.

Other potential technologies.....short distance folds on valks which give them the sorta "teleport effect" like in Dragonball Z. :lol:

Then there's thermal optic camouflage for VF-22 type valks for special operations. We always hear that the VF-17 and VF-22 are for special operations but they really are just depicted as hero-grunt units sent into the fray. I'd like to see the VF-22 used the way it was intended to be....like infiltrate behind enemy fleets...sabotage some cap ships or do pin point macross cannon tagging or something.

As for PPB-ed missiles....not everyone shoots down missiles. Only the aces can do that. ;) And again putting a PPB on anything sounds expensive.

I might get lynched for this....but maybe sound energy cannons perfected by Dr. Chiba? Works wonders against extra-dimensional beings ala Protodevlin and on normal enemies, works as a sort of EMP cannon :lol: *runs*

I wasn't imagining fold capable missiles doing the fold bubble manuveur... more along the lines of fast corvettes or even full capital ships doing it as a way destroy enemy capital ships while retreating. But yeah, larger missiles, like cruise missiles that penetrate a ships hull and then fold out would pretty devestating, imagine basara's speaker missiles but with fold generators, would leave some pretty nasty gaping holes in capital ships.

and if the missiles were all pre-porgrammed to return to base, it's conceivable to just collect the missiles and refuel and re-use them :p

Edited by eugimon

I was thinking that maybe instead of using regular missiles we could get homing lasers like zentradi/VF-X ships and the AFOS, that would certainly make itano circus a lot cooler (although I still like seeing the smoke trails). As for Fold bubbles/fields used offensively that would be cool, but would probably steal away the fun from dog fights.

I´m hoping we see more GERWALK action like in Zero, that was a nice touch. For Frontier to succeed it needs to have some proper dog fights as well as hand-to-hand mecha fights.

all true... I just want to see some big fleet versus fleet battles with capital ships just broadsiding the hell out of each other with the valks duking it out while dodging massive anti-capital ship bombardments. UN Spacy has all those pretty new ships, I wanna see them get all broken and mangled.

all true... I just want to see some big fleet versus fleet battles with capital ships just broadsiding the hell out of each other with the valks duking it out while dodging massive anti-capital ship bombardments. UN Spacy has all those pretty new ships, I wanna see them get all broken and mangled.

Chances are we'll only see them get blown up by 1 stray laser or missile ala Macross 7, Exo-Squad. :lol:

But i know what you mean. When I play my toys (especially the macross ones) I always imagine them getting mangled up but of course the hero wins at the end of the day......giving the maintenance crew a run for their money. :lol:

Homing lasers were always featured in anime...but i never understood the science behind it. Maybe its just for cool effect.

Here’s my list of possible technological advancements for a 2070s era Valk in Macross Frontier: -

• Internal multi-use fold booster. Although, I imagine that a recharge period (a few minutes to a few hours depending on fold distance) would be necessary between folds. Being able to do multiple short-range folds one after the other without any waiting period would confer a huge advantage in combat, but I doubt that capacitor technology is good enough by 2070 for that.
  • Improved pin-point barrier system and/or omni-directional barrier system.
  • Improved active stealth.
  • Perhaps visual stealth, but I doubt it. Not because of a lack in technology, but I think most people watching the anime are not going to be happy if you can’t actually see the Valks most of the time.
  • Inertial damper system for the cockpit, so that the pilot can sustain ultra-high G maneuvers.
  • Miniaturized anti-gravity technology to provide improved maneuverability, lift and better sustained flight capability in an atmosphere, especially in Battroid and Gerwalk modes.
  • Incorporation of a Varuta-derived Spiritia draining beam as a standard armament as this is a good close range less-than-lethal weapon when you want to disable an adversary rather than killing them. Good for law enforcement applications.
  • Improved rapid fire beam or energy weapons.
  • Some type of close combat weapon offering an improvement over pin-point barrier punch.

While missiles with inbuilt barrier systems, active stealth and fold capability offer some intriguing possibilities in combat, they would probably be prohibitively expensive for air-to-air combat and the technology may not be able to be miniaturized that small yet.

Anyway, I predict that missile and micro-missiles will be used even less by 2070. Already in Macross Plus and Macross 7, we can see that Valk performance has far outstripped missiles and in Mac Plus and Mac 7, Valks can usually shoot down, outrun or outmaneuver missiles, with most kills in M+ and M7 being by guns.

Graham

Chances are we'll only see them get blown up by 1 stray laser or missile ala Macross 7, Exo-Squad. :lol:

But i know what you mean. When I play my toys (especially the macross ones) I always imagine them getting mangled up but of course the hero wins at the end of the day......giving the maintenance crew a run for their money. :lol:

Homing lasers were always featured in anime...but i never understood the science behind it. Maybe its just for cool effect.

yeah, frankly captial ship engagements generally suck in modern anime... the recent gundam seed being a prime example of what I hate the the most, one shot from some ridiculously oversized hero gun and boom! If they're so fraking fragile, why even put skins and crews in them? I want to see BSG type fights with capital ships soaking up damage. Listing and spinning in space, huge chunks gouged out but still fighting. Maintenance crews desperately trying to patch holes while dead crewmen drift out into space, some, not so dead.

Internal multi-use fold booster. Although, I imagine that a recharge period (a few minutes to a few hours depending on fold distance) would be necessary between folds. Being able to do multiple short-range folds one after the other without any waiting period would confer a huge advantage in combat, but I doubt that capacitor technology is good enough by 2070 for that.

This might be possible, but I think this might be a story-limiting point.

Improved pin-point barrier system and/or omni-directional barrier system.

I say only a PPB. An ODB system might be make the VFs too powerful. Or otherwise a temporary ODB similar to the bubble shield of Halo 3. One use full protection. But otherwise only a update PPB.

Improved active stealth.

I think this will be a moot point. Whatever new stealth technology they throw out will probably be defeated making that all moot. We've seen similar technology schemes in other series and for some reason, they appear to be defeated, so I see no change.

Inertial damper system for the cockpit, so that the pilot can sustain ultra-high G maneuvers.

I see this as a footnote.

Miniaturized anti-gravity technology to provide improved maneuverability, lift and better sustained flight capability in an atmosphere, especially in Battroid and Gerwalk modes.

I can see this since it would save fuel.

Incorporation of a Varuta-derived Spiritia draining beam as a standard armament as this is a good close range less-than-lethal weapon when you want to disable an adversary rather than killing them.

I see no Spiritia-based or Varauta-based weaponry. I think we'll be moving away from that train-of-thought.

Anyway, I predict that missile and micro-missiles will be used even less by 2070.

I think we'll still keep missiles. Can't get rid of a classic.

I like the idea of stealing back the "HOOOMMMIIINGG LAAAAAAAASSSEERRR!" from Gunbuster & Gall Force, although there's nothing saying that there can't be a super High Manuever Missile developed in the future.

Since VFX-2 is somewhat cannon, the Sound Jamming system could also be in play (i.e. making missiles & radar totally useless). And now that I think about it, the 2070 era would also lend itself to a much larger universe. The enemy this time may be a fully independent human threat. With the U.N. Spacy stretching itself out across space, only so much control could be contained over individual planets. Where VFX-2 had a rogue coorperation, Macross F could have a fully anti-U.N. Spacy federation of planets type deally.