Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

I'm surprised that the trailer hasn't popped up on YouTube yet. I would've expected some clever fan to have captured the trailer on a small camcorder during the presentation.

But it seems we'll have to wait.

Especially in Japan since everyone and her mother has a cell that can record videos.

Just poking on from the wife's laptop to catch up on all the news. Well, at the very least, when we get that first glimpse of video it will probably be better quality than shakey fancam.

Good news, though. Black Heaven was fantastic, aside from the incredibly low animation budget.

Who's the writer? I saw someone mentioning that the writer's past projects were terrible (but if they were including Black Heaven then I'm not entirely convinced), but going back didn't see the writer's name mentioned.

The VF-9 is the Cutlass, right? Pope hat, wings fold over chest? I like that one. It's not pretty, but I don't think every design should be. I'm a fan of the poacher Valkyrie from Dynamite (The VA-6 I think?), and other less-than-sleek looking Valks.

While I enjoy the vast majority of Kawamori's Valkyries, there are some designs that are just plain lousy, IMO. The SV-51 Battroid, the VF-9 Cutlass Battroid, the VF-4 Lightning Battroid and the VF-14 Battroid are horrible and easily the worst of his robot modes. They are all hard on the eyes. Now, this is talking from a purely aesthetic point of view, from a Macross fan who is accustomed to stylish (even overly so) robot designs when he watches anime. Stylized mechanical designs are a strength of anime mechanical artists.

Now, as just a nasty, transformable mechanized robot, the SV-51 is one mean looking piece of metal. Much like some traditional western mechanical designs created for realism, the SV-51 works brilliantly as a plausible piece of military hardware. It's ugly and it's awesome that way. The VF-9, VF-4 and VF-14 don't win any contest categories. Burn 'em! :)

As for fighter modes, I find the VF-3000 fighter just bland and boring. I also dislike the way the VF-19 totally striped the YF-19 fighter of detail and created those awful ankles and wings. I also think the Fz-150 Pheyos is just a tragedy with those terrible arms sticking out the front in fighter mode. That thing would look so cool as a fighter without those damn things poking forward. In fact, the Fz-150 would look so much better with totally redesigned arms period.

oh, I dunno, I love kawamori as a designer, but I think the vf-9 battroid mode is pretty much an assualt on the eyes.

What? No way, I love the way the arms transform, plus it's big and chunky in GERWALK mode, very menacing, reminiscent of Legioss in the same mode.

What? No way, I love the way the arms transform, plus it's big and chunky in GERWALK mode, very menacing, reminiscent of Legioss in the same mode.

I like gerwalk on the VF-9 just fine... it's just battroid that I find awful.

Since there's a lot of talk about avatars going on in this thread, I'd like to go on record as saying that I really like my own avatar. Megaman Zero kicks ass. (Sorry, I was feeling left out.)

LOL :) It almost looks like he's swimming. Your avatar is certainly unique.

LOL :) It almost looks like he's swimming. Your avatar is certainly unique.

It was actually the Japanese cover art for the fourth and final game.

post-187-1187720118_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikeszekely

Going to have to chalk up the opinions on Valk designs to being just that, opinions. Different tastes in design. The VF-4 battroid is one of my all-time favourites, second only to the VF-1. I'm also rather fond of the VF-14, especially the refined version from M3.

I think the point about stylish and stylized looking designs is key. The VF-14, and the Cutlass are not graceful and pretty looking machines in battroid. As to whether slender, graceful looking mecha are a strength of anime, I'm not so certain, I've seen plenty great designs that do not fit that idea. None of the aforementioned Valk designs exactly fit in with western Mechwarrior-esque designs, they're still stylized, if not exactly stylish (though I suspect even that's debatable, I personally think the VF-4 battroid is pretty, as well as tough looking).

If anything, my least favourite Kawamori designs have been his Armoured Core and Eureka 7 works, and even those have their fans.

I suspect Kawamori will continue on these separate branches of design, appealing to many different people separately while not always pleasing everyone, and I've no issue with that.

I think the fact that you can like some VFs and hate some is a testament to Kawamori's talent, as the different VFs are supposed to be manufactured by different companies. Shinsei's models and General Galaxy's models do not look alike, but within Shinsei, you can see similarities between the VF-11 and the VF-19, for example.

Guess who scored a 25th anniversery T-shirt?

Should have it in a few days.

Graham

I haven't seen a piccy what the 25th shirt looks like.. is it sweet?

mikeszekely you absolutely correct. It'll be a Sad day when all his Valks are similar in design.

Just to please the majority.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

mikeszekely you absolutely correct. It'll be a Sad day when all his Valks are similar in design.

different does not have to equal ugly. And yes, ugly is subjective, but I'm just saying your conclusion is flawed. :p

The VF-9 is the Cutlass, right? Pope hat, wings fold over chest? I like that one. It's not pretty, but I don't think every design should be. I'm a fan of the poacher Valkyrie from Dynamite (The VA-6 I think?), and other less-than-sleek looking Valks.

I agree, the VA-3C used by the poachers is a great design, especially with FAST packs and harpoon! Of all the VFs created after the VF-1 series of designs, it is the only one that truly captures the overaggressive look the VF-1 has with FAST packs. All of the other ones are great, and the aerodynamic lines of their FAST packs certainly are cool, but they all tend to lose the aggressive "I don't even have to give a rat's a$$ about airflow, I got the power to spare!" look to them.

Checked out the latest (September) issues of the anime mags, nothing on the covers to indicate anything on Macross F. I'm guessing next month's issues will have plenty (big announcements saved for those who paid money to attend the concert, eh?)

There are a few being auctioned off on Yahoo! Japan Auction site, with price ranging from JPY3,000 to JPY5,000.

I wonder how large size "L" is. If it's made in Japan, they are usually smaller than the US size "L" which would fit me. Anyone have this info? Thanks.

Does anyone else feel this series is kind of being rushed into production ?

I mean, when they released M0 we actually saw concept art a long time before its release ( more than a couple of months I'm sure). This is worrying me a little since we've already seen teasers & trailers for Gundam 00 and let´s not forget about promo material (magazine articles, conventions, even toys), I know it´s gundcrap and that Bandai is behind it but C'MON ! this is the freaking 25th anniversary for valk´s sake ! I can understand they are trying to keep everything secret but doesn't BW understand the importance of building up hype now ?

The cat is out of the bag, why isn't there an official teaser out there !

sorry, the waiting is killing me /rant over/

I mean, when they released M0 we actually saw concept art a long time before its release ( more than a couple of months I'm sure). This is worrying me a little since we've already seen teasers & trailers for Gundam 00 and let´s not forget about promo material (magazine articles, conventions, even toys), I know it´s gundcrap and that Bandai is behind it but C'MON ! this is the freaking 25th anniversary for valk´s sake ! I can understand they are trying to keep everything secret but doesn't BW understand the importance of building up hype now ?

Perhaps they feel that M0 was over-hyped, and then it didn't live up to expectations (fans in general and profit). I personally liked it but I agree that it could have been handled better. Anyway, maybe they're trying a different tack so that the series is less likely to let people down. Or perhaps to let it spread by word of mouth to lead into a big opening.

I've been a Macross fan since before RT, having plenty of VF-1 models and being VERY surprised to see them in a cartoon when RT came on in '85. I forgot about it through high school until I saw M+ on a store shelf, by then M7 had run it's course. I didn't even see M7 or M0 until last year. So this is my first new Macross experience. Maybe this is a well-planned information strategy, but this is so bloody frustrating! I wanna see the trailer... :(

I'm also beginning to wonder how long I'll have to wait to see some fansubbing... but Gurren Lagan seems to be keeping a fair pace, so that gives me hope.

Perhaps they feel that M0 was over-hyped, and then it didn't live up to expectations (fans in general and profit). I personally liked it but I agree that it could have been handled better. Anyway, maybe they're trying a different tack so that the series is less likely to let people down. Or perhaps to let it spread by word of mouth to lead into a big opening.

I've been a Macross fan since before RT, having plenty of VF-1 models and being VERY surprised to see them in a cartoon when RT came on in '85. I forgot about it through high school until I saw M+ on a store shelf, by then M7 had run it's course. I didn't even see M7 or M0 until last year. So this is my first new Macross experience. Maybe this is a well-planned information strategy, but this is so bloody frustrating! I wanna see the trailer... :(

I'm also beginning to wonder how long I'll have to wait to see some fansubbing... but Gurren Lagan seems to be keeping a fair pace, so that gives me hope.

No video :(

Gundam + Sunrise = Super advertising machine. Considering this is a TV series, it's no big surprise that there isn't a ton of info out yet. OVA's & movies have longer production cycles, and as such need a longer lead time to keep up interest. We know (or at least have a general idea) Macross F has been in production for at least 4+ months (and that's actual production, not just pre-production), and will continue to be into production well after its premiere (depending on the episode count), so I wouldn't worry so much that info isn't leaking out yet, especially considering how much Kawamori likes keeping his plots secret. Hell, look how much info "didn't" spill out about Zero during its release.

One must remember that the hype-machine for Gundam 00 is a much larger machine. Also Sunrise's Gundam animation plate has been clean since earlier this year after cleaning up GSD. So they've had plenty of time to work on episodes. The only thing that would slow them down is whether marketing is gonna interfere with the writers room.... In terms of marketing, Gundam will always win over Macross. So just because we don't hear as much, doesn't mean they aren't doing anything. It's just being drowned out by that other mecha show.

We still don't have a confirmed broadcast date for this series among a missing video.

I can understand they are trying to keep everything secret but doesn't BW understand the importance of building up hype now ?

The cat is out of the bag, why isn't there an official teaser out there !

Because BW is and always has been been pretty bad at promoting Macross.

Graham