The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

I got a external 300gb USB hdd, my PS3 can read and copy from it, but how do i copy files from my ps3 to the external hdd?. I got Lemmings on my hdd which i would like to copy and also my game saves from other games. I have created four folders on my usb hdd, photo, video, music and game. Also i can't seem to access my pictures on the usb hdd. Do pictures have to be a certain format and size? :blink:

The PS3 needs to have the Hard Drive in FAT32 format. However, I’ve tried using an external HDD 500 GB Seagate Free Agent on it and had the same “problems” as you. Having an external HDD defeats the purpose since you cannot perform downloads in the background no matter how you format your HDD – one of the major points of having a larger hard drive in the first place. Instead I got an INTERNAL 2.5 SATA II 160 GB5400 HDD from Seagate – the ones used in laptops (so there are no compatibility problems as the original HDD is a Seagate brand) and replaced it within 10 minutes.

This procedure does NOT void your warranty, as it is described how to perform this in your PS3 instruction book, but there are plenty of internet tutorials out there, and you don’t need to be an electronics expert to do this. I don’t know too much about computers and I could easily pull this off.

And having 300 GB for your PS3 is well, somewhat redundant, unless you plan to keep EVERY single demo released and play them constantly, again defeating the purpose of getting a retail version of the game.

Edited by Spatula

And having 300 GB for your PS3 is well, somewhat redundant, unless you plan to keep EVERY single demo released and play them constantly, again defeating the purpose of getting a retail version of the game.

No it's not. Divx movies can now be played on the PS3. So using the PS3 as the mediahub it's intended to be, MP3's, pictures, and movies will fill up that space pretty fast nevermind the downloadable games, movie trailers, and game demos.

True, however I still consider the flexibilty and ease of a PC to store my MP3s and movies more user friendly and not having to worry about too many compatibility issues, and connect the PC to my HDTV to basically arrive at the same "media hub" solution.

I intend to use my USB hdd for music, movies and pictures, but it would also be great if I can store my game saves on it and any downloaded games such as lemmings. I know I could change the internal hdd, but I have not had my PS3 for that long, and I wouldn't want to mess with it just yet. I've spent a fortune on it and I wouldn't really want to spend more on a new hdd. I figured since I already have a USB hdd, i'll just use that. :rolleyes:

I intend to use my USB hdd for music, movies and pictures, but it would also be great if I can store my game saves on it and any downloaded games such as lemmings.

One major benefit of the External HDD though is you can do a system backup that saves your PS3 system state as well as all game saves. It takes up about 4-7 GB of space depending on how much stuff you have on your HDD to begin with, but extremely worth the time and effort to do (which is press a few buttons and MAKE SURE the power doesn't go off when its backing up), but a relatively very safe operation to do. I should make a habbit to do this every 3 months or so.

No it's not. Divx movies can now be played on the PS3. So using the PS3 as the mediahub it's intended to be, MP3's, pictures, and movies will fill up that space pretty fast nevermind the downloadable games, movie trailers, and game demos.

So does my Xbox 360 and both of my DVD players. Which is why I put all my Divx files on DVDs.

So does my Xbox 360 and both of my DVD players. Which is why I put all my Divx files on DVDs.

only, it's relatively easy to put a big HDD on the PS3 but you're locked into buying an overpriced upgrade for the 360 for a meager 120 gig.

Edited by eugimon

Your fanboyism is showing. Your reply has no relevance to why a 300Gb upgrade to the PS3 HD is good or not.

True, however I still consider the flexibilty and ease of a PC to store my MP3s and movies more user friendly and not having to worry about too many compatibility issues, and connect the PC to my HDTV to basically arrive at the same "media hub" solution.

Can't argue with that since I've been frustrated with the organizational setup of the folders within PS3. :D

But it's been easier to teach my parents, both technophobes - the 12:00 flashing-type, how to insert a memory card, copy images and watch slideshows through the PS3 then it is to login the PC, upload their images, turn on the PS3 connect via Eyeconnect (or twonky or whatever you're using to stream) navigate to the correct folder and then slideshow.

Your fanboyism is showing. Your reply has no relevance to why a 300Gb upgrade to the PS3 HD is good or not.

Fanboyism? My reply has everything to do with why a 300GB upgrade is entirely unnecessary. If I burn my Divx files to a disc, not only am I saving money (because blank DVDs are hella cheaper than SATA notebook HDDs), they're not tied to the PS3. I can watch them on my PS3, my desktop PC, my MacBook, my Xbox 360, or either of my DVD players. That's a pretty compelling reason not to waste money on a new HDD for the PS3, if you ask me. 60GB will do.

Honestly, DA, I'm the last person you want to mistake for a fanboy. I've owned every console since the Dreamcast (including an N-Gage), and the only reason I missed a few before it was because I didn't have the money for a CD-I, a 3D0, or a Neo Geo.

If you think a legitimate reason not to use DVDs instead of upgrading the PS3s hard drive is somehow an attack on your personal console of choice, you might want to take a look in the mirror before you start throwing around the fanboy label.

Fanboyism? My reply has everything to do with why a 300GB upgrade is entirely unnecessary. If I burn my Divx files to a disc, not only am I saving money (because blank DVDs are hella cheaper than SATA notebook HDDs), they're not tied to the PS3. I can watch them on my PS3, my desktop PC, my MacBook, my Xbox 360, or either of my DVD players. That's a pretty compelling reason not to waste money on a new HDD for the PS3, if you ask me. 60GB will do.

Honestly, DA, I'm the last person you want to mistake for a fanboy. I've owned every console since the Dreamcast (including an N-Gage), and the only reason I missed a few before it was because I didn't have the money for a CD-I, a 3D0, or a Neo Geo.

If you think a legitimate reason not to use DVDs instead of upgrading the PS3s hard drive is somehow an attack on your personal console of choice, you might want to take a look in the mirror before you start throwing around the fanboy label.

Lol! That's hilarious.

Let's go back. We're in the PS3 thread and your reply to my post which argued that a PS3 HD upgrade was a good thing was

"So does my Xbox 360 and both of my DVD players. Which is why I put all my Divx files on DVDs."

Where in that post, nay one sentence does it elaborate anything like your new post does except state that your Xbox360 and DVD players plays both?

It doesn't. Are we supposed to know what your thought processes are? It just states that your 360 and DVD players also play DivX on DVD's. I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure that the PS3 can play DivX on DVD's as well.

Pulling in your video game console ownage, big deal. As Shania said, "it don't impress me much." I've either played with or owned every video game system since the original Colecovision/Atari 2600 days. That's a good ~15yrs before the Dreamcast came out. I'm sure others here have just as much or more video game experience then I do. Does this history mean anything? No. Win the argument with arguments not with boasting.

Using DVD's instead of upgrading the HD? Let's say we hate the clutter of having tons of loose DVD's around. I do and I store my divx movie files on an ext 250GB USB laptop HD. No burning need, less mess. Easier to carry, no need to worry about scratches or burning coasters. Faster and easier way to trade large files with friends. Storing files on the PS3 instead of streaming or smaller media? You're localizing all your files for ease of access. Turn on PS3, all your files are there instead of having to turn on other systems and/or creating more physical media.

Lol! That's hilarious.

Let's go back. We're in the PS3 thread and your reply to my post which argued that a PS3 HD upgrade was a good thing was

"So does my Xbox 360 and both of my DVD players. Which is why I put all my Divx files on DVDs."

Where in that post, nay one sentence does it elaborate anything like your new post does except state that your Xbox360 and DVD players plays both?

It doesn't. Are we supposed to know what your thought processes are? It just states that your 360 and DVD players also play DivX on DVD's. I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure that the PS3 can play DivX on DVD's as well.

Pulling in your video game console ownage, big deal. As Shania said, "it don't impress me much." I've either played with or owned every video game system since the original Colecovision/Atari 2600 days. That's a good ~15yrs before the Dreamcast came out. I'm sure others here have just as much or more video game experience then I do. Does this history mean anything? No. Win the argument with arguments not with boasting.

Using DVD's instead of upgrading the HD? Let's say we hate the clutter of having tons of loose DVD's around. I do and I store my divx movie files on an ext 250GB USB laptop HD. No burning need, less mess. Easier to carry, no need to worry about scratches or burning coasters. Faster and easier way to trade large files with friends. Storing files on the PS3 instead of streaming or smaller media? You're localizing all your files for ease of access. Turn on PS3, all your files are there instead of having to turn on other systems and/or creating more physical media.

:rolleyes:

If you can't figure that a list of other devices that play Divx files followed by a statement that I therefore use an inexpensive removable media used by all four devices is a reason to use said media instead of a hard drive, I do apologize, and will try to make my statements more blindingly obvious in the future.

Why don't you just admit that you saw "Xbox 360" in the PS3 thread and, despite the fact that I was also talking about DVD players and in no way implied that the 360 is superior, assumed that I was a 360 fanboy. Why? The only reason I can think of is that you assume only Xbox fanboys would own an Xbox 360.

Well, actually Mass Effect, Bioshock, Project Gotham, Ace Combat 6, etc are the reason I own an Xbox 360. Similarly, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid 4, etc are the reasons I own a PS3, and Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, etc are the reason I own a Wii. Love of games, not loyalty to brands.

On the flip side, explaining that you like having all of your media in one place and find discs to be extra clutter is a much better reason for upgrading your PS3s hard drive than "Fanboy!" Personally, I don't see them as being clutter, as I have mine neatly organized and stored alphabetically in faux-leather boxes. What's more, I'm sure I have more than 300GB of divx files, as I've rather taken to ripping my DVD TV box sets and putting the original DVDs in storage to make room on my DVD shelf for more games, blu-rays, and HD-DVDs. And, as I've already mentioned, I have multiple devices that play Divx files. It's convenient if I'm watching a show in the living room and I get tired, because I can take the disc out and put it in the DVD player in the bedroom.

Ultimately, although I do find the PS3's media capabilities to be top-notch, I'm going to build a home-theater PC. Better for the odd mkv file. And it's not that I'm a PC fanboy, it's just that the PS3 doesn't play back mkv files.

If you can't figure that a list of other devices that play Divx files followed by a statement that I therefore use an inexpensive removable media used by all four devices is a reason to use said media instead of a hard drive, I do apologize, and will try to make my statements more blindingly obvious in the future.

Why don't you just admit that you saw "Xbox 360" in the PS3 thread and, despite the fact that I was also talking about DVD players and in no way implied that the 360 is superior, assumed that I was a 360 fanboy. Why? The only reason I can think of is that you assume only Xbox fanboys would own an Xbox 360.

Well, actually Mass Effect, Bioshock, Project Gotham, Ace Combat 6, etc are the reason I own an Xbox 360. Similarly, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid 4, etc are the reasons I own a PS3, and Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, etc are the reason I own a Wii. Love of games, not loyalty to brands.

On the flip side, explaining that you like having all of your media in one place and find discs to be extra clutter is a much better reason for upgrading your PS3s hard drive than "Fanboy!" Personally, I don't see them as being clutter, as I have mine neatly organized and stored alphabetically in faux-leather boxes. What's more, I'm sure I have more than 300GB of divx files, as I've rather taken to ripping my DVD TV box sets and putting the original DVDs in storage to make room on my DVD shelf for more games, blu-rays, and HD-DVDs. And, as I've already mentioned, I have multiple devices that play Divx files. It's convenient if I'm watching a show in the living room and I get tired, because I can take the disc out and put it in the DVD player in the bedroom.

Ultimately, although I do find the PS3's media capabilities to be top-notch, I'm going to build a home-theater PC. Better for the odd mkv file. And it's not that I'm a PC fanboy, it's just that the PS3 doesn't play back mkv files.

i'll back him on the dvd-r vs. hard drive. hard drives break down after awhile, trust me. my friend had an external hard drive break on him and he lost ALL OF HIS MUSIC. no, not music that he downloaded, he's a dj/producer and he lost his own beats, songs, mixes and remixes. no, he didn't have a cheap ext. hard drive, it was either a seagate or a western digital.

now, if i can hopefully turn my sata2 hard drive into an external hard drive with a kit and get my megazone 23, full metal panic!, full metal alchemist and about 100-200gb of other anime off of it and onto dvd-r (mb died and backup mb doesn't support sata2).

and you can label me a ps3 fanboy. i build my own pc and ms can't get windows xp right yet (i find so many bugs). so i can't see myself buyin' hardware from them when the software breaks up on me and the only solution is to reinstall windows to get rid of the bug (style xp revertin' to a win. 98 theme when i didn't tell it too. not a style xp problem, i googled it and ppl w/o it still have this bug. the only solution is NOT to install style xp after a fresh reinstall but then i'm stuck with the ugly green button. don't get me started on vista).

so ps3 ftw. all i need is gran turismo, grand theft auto and tomb raider. now if i could only get forza/forza2 to play on my ps2/ps3.

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

First thing anyone should learn about hard drives is backups. Lots of them.

Optical drives don't last forever, either. They both have their pros and cons... Hard drive gives way faster IO than an optical. Opticals add utility, portability, and a general carelessness that hard drives don't have.... Reality is somewhere in between the two: get both and you'll be a happy tech geek. :)

I had already stated media in one storage space/media server was a preference. It was in the post re:fanboyism. I'll try to make it more blindingly obvious in the future.

Why don't you admit that you saw a chance to throw out the Xbox360 name when we were talking about valid reasons for upgrading the PS3 HD and storing DivX files was one of them? This wasn't an Xbox360 vs PS3 question. It was a PS3 HD: Bigger or smaller is better? question. Nothing to do with other electronic entertainment products and their media.

See? It works both ways.

I currently own the Wii, DS lite, PS3 and PSP. One of my best friends owns the 360 and I enjoy playing on it but not enough to own. The games that I would want to play are also available on or coming soon to PC so for me, personally, owning that console doesn't make any sense(Achievements don't interest me). Would I call my best friend an Xbox fanboy because he has a 360? No because he doesn't find a reason to say Xbox360 in discussions that aren't related to it. Love of games, not loyalty to brands.

Agreed - Sony did a top-notch job with the PS3, I'd even say incredible especially for what it does for that price. Building an HTPC that does what the PS3 does around the same price will be very hard. Granted that the money would be spent mainly on getting the BD/HD-DVD player(I don't see why anyone wouldn't go with the combo drive on an HTPC), getting a CPU to run it (on a Quad-core HD-DVD playback was 6% cpu usage. BD was %10) and compatible graphics card.

Full props to Uxi for the great reminder. Backups of any product with a hard drive is a must.

Edited by Dangard Ace

Agreed - Sony did a top-notch job with the PS3, I'd even say incredible especially for what it does for that price. Building an HTPC that does what the PS3 does around the same price will be very hard. Granted that the money would be spent mainly on getting the BD/HD-DVD player(I don't see why anyone wouldn't go with the combo drive on an HTPC), getting a CPU to run it (on a Quad-core HD-DVD playback was 6% cpu usage. BD was %10) and compatible graphics card.

Well, I'm not actually interested in getting a HTPC to do everything that the PS3 does. It's going in along side the PS3. I'm mostly interested in having my iTunes library, a variety of emulators for older systems so I can put said systems in the closet, and a media player that will play the odd formats that you sometimes come across. I'll still be using the PS3 for Blu-ray and regular DVDs, and the 360 for HD-DVDs. For now, then, I already have a 500GB hard drive and a spare DVD-ROM, so I'm just going to order a case, some RAM, an HDCP-compliant motherboard with HDMI out (the board has an nVidia chipset that'll work, so I don't have to splurge on a low-profile graphics card), and a cheap LGA 775 Celeron. When I have more money, I'll replace the Celeron with a Core 2 Duo E6650 (the minimum recommended for 1080p), and I'll wait and see if LG's combo HD-DVD player/Blu-ray burner drops in price.

I have four external hard drives, and three internal hard drives for backups of all kinds of stuff. Games, music, software. If I ever get a blu-ray burner, THEN I'll back up my files to disc. I already had the hard drive with most of my music (150 gig HD) bite the dust... I about had a heart attack, but luckily I was able to revive the thing somehow long enough to transfer it all to another HD. I'd love the reassurance of having all my files on DVDs, but I lack the patience to accomplish that when I've got 100's of gigs of files. I guess what I'm saying, is that everything sucks no matter what. And I want to die.

(just kidding)

Also, about the Mouse and keyboards working with the ps3, unfortunately I've got cordless mice and boards. I even tried to install the logitech drivers (no chance in hell that was going to work) but the sensors just won't acknowledge them.

First thing anyone should learn about hard drives is backups. Lots of them.

Optical drives don't last forever, either. They both have their pros and cons... Hard drive gives way faster IO than an optical. Opticals add utility, portability, and a general carelessness that hard drives don't have.... Reality is somewhere in between the two: get both and you'll be a happy tech geek. :)

so true. i just had some bad luck. i had recently backed up all of my stuff (i had 55 dvd's just for anime) before my mb died. but then i bought a megaupload premium account to dl more anime and it died in the middle of my premium (so i didn't get to use all of my premium, i had no pc for 3 weeks). so i'm missin' about 10-15 dvd's of anime instead of 65-70. but the comments on newegg said that external hard drive kit let a guy get stuff off of a hard drive that belonged to an old pc that had died. so hopefully i can get the last of my anime off of it.

ok, back on topic. i'm waitin' for gt5, gta4, ffxiii and fxiii versus to come out before i finally get a ps3. i really trust sony, i bought a boombox back in 95-96 that still works today , except for the cd player, it won't play cd's. so i really trust sony products. i even bought a sony cd/mp3 player for my car over a pioneer 'cause the sony had better graphics than the pioneer (it shows animated pics like a racin' rally car and a snowboader skiin' and flippin' downhill).

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

ok, back on topic. i'm waitin' for gt5, gta4, ffxiii and fxiii versus to come out before i finally get a ps3. i really trust sony, i bought a boombox back in 95-96 that still works today , except for the cd player, it won't play cd's. so i really trust sony products. i even bought a sony cd/mp3 player for my car over a pioneer 'cause the sony had better graphics than the pioneer (it shows animated pics like a racin' rally car and a snowboader skiin' and flippin' downhill).

I buy what I like, but I can't honestly say I trust any company. When you're out to make a buck, it only stands to reason that you're going to try to manufacture your product as cheaply as possible. I mean, I like my 360. Mass Effect is my favorite game of the current generation of consoles. That said, especially because it's a launch unit, every time I play a game on it I do so in fear that today will be the day I get the Red Rings of Death. Is Sony better? The PS3 certainly seems solid, but I'm not going to forget the PS2s that were lost to Disc Read Error. And I suppose it's rare, but a friend of mine had a Gamecube that just quit working one day. Heck, even Apple had Random Shutdown Syndrome affect a whole batch of MacBooks. But I still bought a PS3 and a Wii, I'll still buy whatever Microsoft eventually replaces the 360 with, and I can't imagine using a laptop that isn't a Mac now. I just love video games, and I prefer Mac OS to Windows.

Actually, Windows is probably one of the more broken products out there, like you said. I still use it for my desktops, though, because I like to build them myself, and so far you can't technically build a Mac. (OK, I did build a Hackintosh once. It worked well enough to inspire me to buy my MacBook, but not well enough to keep me from putting Windows back on it.)

Also, about the Mouse and keyboards working with the ps3, unfortunately I've got cordless mice and boards. I even tried to install the logitech drivers (no chance in hell that was going to work) but the sensors just won't acknowledge them.

Which one? My Logitech MX5000 keyboard and mouse synched up flawlessly to the bluetooth on the PS3. If you have an IR set, you'll need to put the dongle in a USB port on the front...

I buy what I like, but I can't honestly say I trust any company. When you're out to make a buck, it only stands to reason that you're going to try to manufacture your product as cheaply as possible. I mean, I like my 360. Mass Effect is my favorite game of the current generation of consoles. That said, especially because it's a launch unit, every time I play a game on it I do so in fear that today will be the day I get the Red Rings of Death. Is Sony better? The PS3 certainly seems solid, but I'm not going to forget the PS2s that were lost to Disc Read Error. And I suppose it's rare, but a friend of mine had a Gamecube that just quit working one day. Heck, even Apple had Random Shutdown Syndrome affect a whole batch of MacBooks. But I still bought a PS3 and a Wii, I'll still buy whatever Microsoft eventually replaces the 360 with, and I can't imagine using a laptop that isn't a Mac now. I just love video games, and I prefer Mac OS to Windows.

Actually, Windows is probably one of the more broken products out there, like you said. I still use it for my desktops, though, because I like to build them myself, and so far you can't technically build a Mac. (OK, I did build a Hackintosh once. It worked well enough to inspire me to buy my MacBook, but not well enough to keep me from putting Windows back on it.)

yea, i'll quickly switch to another brand if one turns out to be bad. i can't switch to linux 'cause most of my music production software doesn't have a linux version. plus, i sux at programmin'. so, i'm afraid i could do something wrong, ruin my pc (os wise) and have to reinstall linux in order to get it to work.

i would switch to a mac 'cause EVERYBODY tells me that mac owns windows when it comes to music production and video editin'. but i can build a new pc with the same specs as a top of the line mac pro for half of the cost of the mac pro. mac's seem interestin' to me so i may have to get one someday when i have money to burn... i should make that when i have alot of money to burn since then i would have to buy software instead of lookin' for "free lol" versions on torrents.

I use a old PS/2 keyboard and mouse for my PS3, made possible by using a converter, The great thing about this is that the converter only uses one USB port, leaving the other three for my HDD and extras.

I'd have to go dig them up from the basement to tell you exactly what cordless they were. One was a track/ball mouse and keyboard (white/grey colored). The other was a laser mouse and keyboard (black colored). Both have a chunky triangular-ish shaped sensor with a button ontop. No matter how many times I pressed those buttons, nothing, nada. And there's no way I'm going to transport my mouse and keyboard from my office (merc stealth / mx revolution) to the living room everytime I wanna' play UT3.

As for brands I like and dislike, and to add to what was said: screw the brand I want a product that works. I use Windows Vista 64 for my OS and I love it. I'm forced to work on apple computers at my university and I hate them. I have an ipod and I like it. I had an Xbox (that died) and an Xbox 360 (that died much faster) and I liked them both. Now I speak for me and me alone when I say that they are the only two consoles I've ever had stop working. And after microsoft made me pay to have my 360 repaired right after I paid for a brand new one, hah, well. I can play halo, gears of war and bioshock on my PC now, and I look forward to metalgear s4 and FF13.

I discovered you can copy your game saves on to a USB hard drive after all, but you still can't copy other files such as downloaded games and the files in the game utility folder.

Ok, how easy is it to upgrade the hard drive? Is there software involved that copies over what's on it already?

Basically, this is my dilemma:

Ok, I have a PS1 (modded), PS2 (original and slim), that we are going to keep, so I don't really need backwards compatibility.

I don't need all the memory card slots.

I am getting a $200 Dell gift card (bought a new notebook around Xmas), I can get the PS3 40gb version and only spend about $220.

I want to remove the 40gb and replace it with my old notebook hard drive (7200rpm, IDE, 100gb). How would I need to format the 100gb hard drive? (I gave my old notebook to my mom with a 60gb spare HD)

I was going to wait for the Dual Shock 3 to come out, as I don't plan on using the PS3 until MGS4 and FF13 come out.

Ok, how easy is it to upgrade the hard drive? Is there software involved that copies over what's on it already?

Ok, I have a PS1 (modded), PS2 (original and slim), that we are going to keep, so I don't really need backwards compatibility.

I am getting a $200 Dell gift card (bought a new notebook around Xmas), I can get the PS3 40gb version and only spend about $220.

I want to remove the 40gb and replace it with my old notebook hard drive (7200rpm, IDE, 100gb). How would I need to format the 100gb hard drive? (I gave my old notebook to my mom with a 60gb spare HD)

I was going to wait for the Dual Shock 3 to come out, as I don't plan on using the PS3 until MGS4 and FF13 come out.

In a PC, I'd say you need an IDE to SATA adaptor. But I don't think that'll work for a PS3. So basically, your old notebook hard drive won't work for the PS3. Right size, wrong interface.

ps3 takes a sata 2.5 inches notebook hard drive, your 7200rmp ide will not work. but you can reformat it to fat 32 and put it in a usb2.0 external enclosure. I think you can get the ps3 to format the usb drive for you. isn't a 120 gb 2.5 going for around $70 these days? I paid $130 for a wd 250gb a little while back.

ps3 takes a sata 2.5 inches notebook hard drive, your 7200rmp ide will not work. but you can reformat it to fat 32 and put it in a usb2.0 external enclosure. I think you can get the ps3 to format the usb drive for you. isn't a 120 gb 2.5 going for around $70 these days? I paid $130 for a wd 250gb a little while back.

Sounds about right. I think I paid a little less for the same drive, but I stuck mine in my MacBook.

Get a drive from Newegg. I bought a Hitachi 160GB drive for $80 a few months ago and swapped my 60GB. Don't bother with 7200 rpm ones, the speed bump does nothing and will only add heat. Doing the swap is painless and quick. My old 60 Seagate is a spare, and my 80GB PS3 will probably see an upgrade in few months as well. I'm happy the thing takes ordinary HDD's.

Get the 40, swap the HDD with a new one, keep the 40GB as a spare, and buy a DualShock 3 and use the Sixaxis as the "2nd" controller. I replaced all my Sixaxis' with DualShocks and use the Sixaxis' as "spares".

Edited by Gaijin

Question for you PS3 owners (and you know who you are :p ): how quickly does the HD fill up, since every game needs to put information on there. Has anyone hit capacity yet?

If the PlayStation Network starts adding movies and TV like XBL, or if you plan to use it as a media center, you might want the extra space. As I mentioned earlier, I burn my Divx files to discs, and since I have an iPod I keep my music in an iTunes library on a computer, so I pretty much just use my HDD for game saves, demos, and PSN games. Oh, and I installed Linux. I'd have to check, but I think I've still got maybe two thirds free of the original 60GB, so I haven't felt any strong urge to upgrade it yet.

Edited by mikeszekely

Question for you PS3 owners (and you know who you are :p ): how quickly does the HD fill up, since every game needs to put information on there. Has anyone hit capacity yet?

After 9 months, my 60GB had been about half full, with pretty much all the exclusive PSN downloaded games, saves, about 150 mp3's, and maybe a 100 or so photos, 30 or so video trailers and what not, and a couple games using "mass storage" from doing installs to the HDD, being Virtua Fighter 5, about 2GB, Ridge Racer 7 about 4. Note that the install to HDD games that use a chuck of change give the option of doing so...you can simply play with some loading if you wish.

I replaced my 60GB with a 160 only because it was so cheap to do so. Most people probably won't use up that much, with only game saves, and a few downloaded games, unless you plan on storing a lot of video on there.

CNET has some good info about changing the hard drive.

http://asia.cnet.com/digitalliving/tips/0,...62032875,00.htm

I think im gonna buy an external drive.

here are two videos.

the first video on how to replace it.

and the 2nd video on how to back up your files, replace it and format the new hard drive.

i can't find the video from the ps3 '06 release that shows both of these in the same vid (i like that vid the best, it was really well put together).