The PlayStation 3 Thread 80GB Edition

Gaijin

Is the AC5 flight stick wireless? How exactly are you using it with the PS3?

Just plug it in the USB port. Started the game with the Sexaxis, plugged the AC5 stick into the 1st USB port when the game started, and it worksed. Played for about 30 mins. B))

Just plug it in the USB port. Started the game with the Sexaxis, plugged the AC5 stick into the 1st USB port when the game started, and it worksed. Played for about 30 mins. B))

Wait a minute, what's that, and which games support it? :)

Thanks Mike. Well I'm just hoping there isn't anything wrong with my shiny new console. It gets unplugged regulary due to visits to other people's homes as well as work occasionally.

I just picked up a 60gb unit (for $350 after taxes, I just couldn't say no) and when I began tinkering with the A/V settings on the first day it kept on resetting back to the defaults every time I unplugged the unit. But after that first day it seems to be saving them so that I don't have to keep switching the video to HDMI and audio to optical. My guess is that the ps3 uses some sort of rechargeable battery for its settings and if you keep it unplugged long enough the battery will die and you'll need to set your A/V settings again. I really have to wonder why Sony went this route after the PS2 didn't have any problems keeping its A/V settings indefinitely.

The AC5 flight stick works on the PS3...tried it with AC5 rumble included. Ace Combat 6 is coming for the PS3..it was not an exclusive but a timed one, like Virtua Fighter 5 for the PS3, timed only.

Oh! thats such great news!! thanks Gaijin...

Getting a 1080p projector in the next few weeks and a 100" screen, the reason I wanted to get a blu-ray player (and PS3 being the cheapest BR player around was just a bonus!) - now I can look forward to AC6 on 100" screen in 1080p!! I love Ace Combat!

Yay! thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, PS3 is really doing my head in, theres hardly any games for it. :angry:

I know they hype up the the graphics and all, but its not exactly next generation, so far from what I've seen and played the graphics are just your normal PC graphics, very disapointing indeed. I was expecting something more. I bought Oblivion the other day, good game but full of bugs, just like the PC version. I had to reset my PS3 several times whenever the game stopped responding. Hope they can bring out patches or something through the Playstation online store.

Sorry about this rant, just had to get it off my mind.

Man, PS3 is really doing my head in, theres hardly any games for it. :angry:

I know they hype up the the graphics and all, but its not exactly next generation, so far from what I've seen and played the graphics are just your normal PC graphics, very disapointing indeed. I was expecting something more. I bought Oblivion the other day, good game but full of bugs, just like the PC version. I had to reset my PS3 several times whenever the game stopped responding. Hope they can bring out patches or something through the Playstation online store.

Sorry about this rant, just had to get it off my mind.

Is the PS3 your only system? It's actually worse when you have a 360, too. 9 times out of 10 the PS3 version of a game has technical issues not present in the 360 version, and even when they're equal, I wind up buying the 360 version anyway because Xbox Live and Achievements become the deciding factor. That just leaves the PS3 exclusives, which for the most part have been kind of mediocre. Here's hoping that Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted are a sign that the PS3's exclusives are going to continue to improve.

Is the PS3 your only system?

Yes, unless you count the PS2 and PS1. I stuck with playstation because most of the games I enjoyed on the older machines, would mean there would be sequels coming out for the new machine. I'm mainly waiting for MGS4. Right now it just seems Sony is not doing very much to promote their product. Theres hardly any adverts for the PS3 on TV compared to xbox and wii. It's made worst by the fact that my local gamestation shop hardly stocks any PS3 games or hardware, I have to travel to the city centre to see whats available which isn't very much, a waste of a journey. Its a shame that I spent so much money on the PS3, just so that it sits there gathering dust most of the time. It's a great machine, but has little uses for it. Also I see no point in the blu ray movies since I already own them on DVD and the picture quality is still good, in my opinion HD is only good if you get a big 50 inch screen which I don't have. In the mean time I'm playing valkyrie profile 2 for the PS2, excellent game :rolleyes:

Edited by kung flu

I recommend "Uncharted". it's like an "action" US remake version of ICO in a Tomb raider setting (this is the closest thing I can describe it). so if you like environmental puzzles of ICO, duck and cover action of Gears of War, with a cinematic feel of Metal Gear, I think you will like this game.

Uncharted looks very pretty. Love the water in the beginning jungle. However, from the little I've played in the demo, the story throw me off a bit. While they keep advertising the main character is your "every day ordinary guy" that just got caught in the middle of a situation, he whip out his gun and kill a bunch of people in no time, without even knowing who these guys are. :D He's no less ordinary than a slaughter machine LOL. Could have given him a more appropriate background to make things more believable. You don't see Indiana Jones wiping out hordes of dudes like Rambo. :p But some very impressive looking environments in this game.

I also got myself a PS3 not long ago. While I am fine with its current library (and awesome upcoming titles), I do feel that it would be more fun picking Xbox360, knowing a bunch of my co-workers are very active on multiplayer online games on Xbox. So the PS3 better not disappoint me in the coming years. ;)

Edited by mpchi

I'm still patiently awaiting Gran Turismo 5. Until then my PS3 is a wonderful Blu Ray player... but as far as being a "game console" it's gotten about as much use as a nuclear arsenal. It's neat to look at and the potential is still there but aside from the odd short lived test it's never really been deployed. It seems every game I want comes out on the Xbox... or if it's multi platform and I seriously consider getting it for the PS3 something conspires to make me get it for the Xbox instead.

I'm still patiently awaiting Gran Turismo 5. Until then my PS3 is a wonderful Blu Ray player... but as far as being a "game console" it's gotten about as much use as a nuclear arsenal. It's neat to look at and the potential is still there but aside from the odd short lived test it's never really been deployed. It seems every game I want comes out on the Xbox... or if it's multi platform and I seriously consider getting it for the PS3 something conspires to make me get it for the Xbox instead.

like, the xbox controler doesn't cramp your hands after 30 min? Or the xbox version doesn't require patching to make it work? :p

fanboyism aside, I'd love to get a PS3, but like with the 360, I'm waiting until there's something I *really* want to play.

I also got myself a PS3 not long ago. While I am fine with its current library (and awesome upcoming titles), I do feel that it would be more fun picking Xbox360, knowing a bunch of my co-workers are very active on multiplayer online games on Xbox. So the PS3 better not disappoint me in the coming years. ;)

Once developers learn to really harness the cell processor technology, the ps3 will leave the 360 in the dust. Unfortunately, microsoft will probably have the xbox 420 by then. (And maybe as with the xbox, absolutely no more 360 games will be made thereafter) But hell, after playing a bit of Uncharted I am really, really impressed with the ps3 now. I think it could run Crysis, personally, if the company took the time to make it work. I'm also wondering if the ps3 version of Unreal T3 will be better than the computer version.

Once developers learn to really harness the cell processor technology, the ps3 will leave the 360 in the dust. Unfortunately, microsoft will probably have the xbox 420 by then. (And maybe as with the xbox, absolutely no more 360 games will be made thereafter) But hell, after playing a bit of Uncharted I am really, really impressed with the ps3 now. I think it could run Crysis, personally, if the company took the time to make it work. I'm also wondering if the ps3 version of Unreal T3 will be better than the computer version.

:rolleyes:

Spoken like someone who's surprised the PS3 isn't winning just because the PS2 dominated the previous round. Of course, if the one who was on top at one point was always on top, we'd still be playing Ataris.

With the possible exception of 1st and 2nd party developers, no one is going to take the time to really tease all the power out of the PS3 that they could (power that, I might add, was was certainly exaggerated by Sony in the first place, and was never likely to "leave the 360 in the dust"). Exclusives are becoming a thing of the past. Hell, even half the Wii games out are dumbed-down ports of the 360/PS3 version with tacked on waggle controls (and of course, without waggle controls, you have a PS2 game, and since the PS2 is still selling, developers keep supporting it). Since the North American market has become the largest market for video games, and the 360 has outsold the PS3 here, it seems like the 360 is their target platform, with the PS3 getting a port. The result? Best case scenario, you have PS3 games that look and play exactly like their Xbox 360 counterpart. Worst case, the PS3 version is plagued with technical issues.

Games don't sell a system the way they used to in a market where maybe 1 out of 20 games is an exclusive, so it boils down to price and features. $600 might have been a bargain for a Blu-ray player, but that was a feature that the average gamer didn't really care about, and $600 was too much for a game console when there was already one for $400 with 95% of the same games. By the time they released the $400 40GB PS3, they've already suffered through two years of people buying 360's instead.

This is coming from someone who's owned all four of Sony's consoles. I'm disappointed that I don't get more use out of my PS3. But let's face it, Microsoft tried to built the console they thought gamers wanted to play, and gamers bought it. Nintendo wanted to build a console that non-gamers would play, and everyone buys it (although I hear Wii software isn't selling as well). Sony built what they hoped would be a trump card in the Blu-ray/HD-DVD format war, and Sony abused their fan base when they slapped the "PlayStation" brand on a Blu-ray player and expected us to buy it just because it had that "PlayStation" brand.

IMHO it's also all about "buzz"... about that intangible popular flow. Right now everyone I know is talking Xbox this and Xbox that, no one is talking PS3. I see more and more PS3 TV commercials lately but they just fall flat for me... they don't make me want to go out and buy a PS3 (even though I already own one).

But the question is is it Sony's marketing machine that is failing? Are we all just too stupid to see the glory that is the PS3? Or is it just what it is, to expensive, too late to the fight with too much hype with too little payoff in an already crowded game market. This christmas will tell for sure. As it stands I see no Wiis in stock anywhere, Xboxes seem to be selling "briskly" and PS3's seem to be the same ones from the summer with that same covering of dust on them. And now that Samsung has broken the $300 Blu ray player mark the PS3's value as a Blu ray player is going to start to diminish as well.

As usual, don't get me wrong I love my PS3... it looks cool and it plays Blu rays, which are the only two things I bought it to do. As a consumer I'm satisfied. If I bought it to play games I'd be a little disappointed right about now... but I'm still going to wait for GT5. GT5 will probably be the only game I'm going to own for this system and yes I am setting myself up for an "all my eggs in one basket" sort of letdown.

IMHO it's also all about "buzz"... about that intangible popular flow. Right now everyone I know is talking Xbox this and Xbox that, no one is talking PS3. I see more and more PS3 TV commercials lately but they just fall flat for me... they don't make me want to go out and buy a PS3 (even though I already own one).

But the question is is it Sony's marketing machine that is failing? Are we all just too stupid to see the glory that is the PS3? Or is it just what it is, to expensive, too late to the fight with too much hype with too little payoff in an already crowded game market. This christmas will tell for sure. As it stands I see no Wiis in stock anywhere, Xboxes seem to be selling "briskly" and PS3's seem to be the same ones from the summer with that same covering of dust on them. And now that Samsung has broken the $300 Blu ray player mark the PS3's value as a Blu ray player is going to start to diminish as well.

As usual, don't get me wrong I love my PS3... it looks cool and it plays Blu rays, which are the only two things I bought it to do. As a consumer I'm satisfied. If I bought it to play games I'd be a little disappointed right about now... but I'm still going to wait for GT5. GT5 will probably be the only game I'm going to own for this system and yes I am setting myself up for an "all my eggs in one basket" sort of letdown.

Sony's been bleeding money and the "Computer Home Entertainment" division is the band-aid on the wound. They simply couldn't afford to lose money on the PS3 the way Microsoft can for the 360. By the same token, they needed Blu-ray to be a win. While DVD was starting to catch on in the US, the PS2 was responsible for finally getting DVD to surpass VCD in Asia. Sony banked on the popularity of the PlayStation brand to push Blu-ray onto the masses, and unfortunately, they did it at the cost of competitive pricing. They're only now getting some solid 1st and 2nd party software, and they've only recently managed to get a competitively priced PS3 on the shelves (and even then, it's still more expensive than the standard 360). I think Sony's marketing is improving, as I think they realize they have to focus on the games with Blu-ray and HD-DVD at a stalemate, but they've essentially given Microsoft a two-year head start. I think their efforts now are just too little, too late.

Like yourself, I'm glad to have a Blu-ray player to go with the rest of my home theater, but the gamer in me is having a hard time justifying the purchase.

As for GT5, the only difference between the GT games are prettier visuals and more cars no one wants to drive. There's only so many times I can drive around Autumn Ring to win a POS Mazda Demio that isn't just worse than the car I used to win it, but is worse than the car I used to win it BEFORE I modded it. I'll take Forza over GT.

This is exactly the same arguement that the Xbox fanboys had last generation. The xbox guys kept talking about how their graphics were better, HDD this, Live that... and those were all true. Xbox smoked the Ps2 in terms of graphics, had a built in HDD and PS had nothing but rudimentary online support. But it came down to the games and who were playing those games and PS2 just had much more of an established market share. This time around, it looks like the roles have been reversed. 360 is pretty firmly entrenched, people are buying the machines and more importantly, buying the games. Hell, even a relatively niche market game like Mass Effect sold 3x the expected amount.

And I'm sorry, as much as I like consoles... consoles will never compete with PCs in the graphics department. A console is a locked in technology for 5 years or more and a PC generation is sometimes less than 1 year and each generation there is a pretty marked increase in graphics and computational power. IMO, it's just blatant fanboyism to say that any console game could hope to compete with the PC version. Forgetting about everything else, just in terms of FPS and resolution a console can't hope to compete.

And I'm sorry, as much as I like consoles... consoles will never compete with PCs in the graphics department. A console is a locked in technology for 5 years or more and a PC generation is sometimes less than 1 year and each generation there is a pretty marked increase in graphics and computational power. IMO, it's just blatant fanboyism to say that any console game could hope to compete with the PC version. Forgetting about everything else, just in terms of FPS and resolution a console can't hope to compete.

That may be true, but a lot of us would rather buy a game that looks dated by PC standards without having to spend another $300 on a graphics card to run it, secure in the knowledge that we can play it without installing and configuring it to work with our hardware, on the big TV from our comfy couch/chair rather than hunched in front of the computer monitor in a crappy desk chair.

That may be true, but a lot of us would rather buy a game that looks dated by PC standards without having to spend another $300 on a graphics card to run it, secure in the knowledge that we can play it without installing and configuring it to work with our hardware, on the big TV from our comfy couch/chair rather than hunched in front of the computer monitor in a crappy desk chair.

oh, I agree. I was specifically referring to the claim that a PS3 could play unreal better than a PC.

oh, I agree. I was specifically referring to the claim that a PS3 could play unreal better than a PC.

Ah. No, you're right about that. Throw a pair of high-end video cards into a compatible mobo with a good processor and plenty of RAM (I still can't believe the PS3 is stuck with 256MB), and you can consistently output better visuals than any next-gen console probably before that console even gets around to launching.

Ah. No, you're right about that. Throw a pair of high-end video cards into a compatible mobo with a good processor and plenty of RAM (I still can't believe the PS3 is stuck with 256MB), and you can consistently output better visuals than any next-gen console probably before that console even gets around to launching.

definitely, when the 360 launched, the PC fanboys were already laughing saying that their rigs had better graphics at higher resolution.. blah blah blah... of course, their rigs cost 2 or 3 times as much (easily).

LOL! I love fanboy's comments. they are so funny!! Thanks for making my Wednesday!

ditto to everything stated by mikeszekely and eugimon

and if you are truely a sony fanboy, then you should already know that sony has sold its stake in Cell manufacturing plants to toshiba as well as exiting out of future development of the cell tech

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6182641.html?page=1

I just hope Gabe from Valve was wrong to state that its a waste of resources to learn the cell as it will become a deadend :blink: I still hope sony will do a major comeback in 2008. I really like the competitions as we get great games out of other developers.

To me the PS3 means 2 things, Metal Gear, and easily played import games. As long as it delivers on those fronts, I'll be happy. I am a Saturn owner afterall :)

I mentioned this way back in the forum, In the PS magazine I buy, the letters section has always people writing in saying they are having problems playing import games. so maybe the PS3 is not actually regoin free for games which is another big disapointment. I'm also annoyed that the dvd and bluray are still region coded. Most of my dvds are regoin 1 and I really wanted to try out the upscale feature that was added in the update firmware.

I got the PS3 because I was sick of Microsoft's bad customer support for the X360.

Second reason is that PS3 games and blue ray are region free.

If Sony wants to make PS3 a winner. Give it the capability to play PS2 import games and convert PS1 and PS2 games to PSP for storage and play from a memory stick.

Sony will not do this because of pirating but have the PS3 convert DVD's to UMD or memory stick Mpeg4 movies for easy download to PSP. Sell the UMD recorder with an additional cable that will connect a VCR to PS3 and then the consumer can convert VHS tapes to PSP also.

Make the PS3 a hub for PSP. Currently you as a PSP owner have to use all these differing types of software and hardware... it is a pain... to put movies on your PSP. Yet it is very satisfying to have Macross and the Indiana Jone movies on my PSP.

I got the PS3 because I was sick of Microsoft's bad customer support for the X360.

Yeah, their policy of extending the 360's warranty against RRoD to three years and fixing all those 360s at a cost of, what'd they say, $3 billion? Yeah, that really gets my goat. Why can't they just do what Sony did and deny that there was any problem until a class action lawsuit over "Disc Read Error" forces them to fix or replace a certain group of consoles, even while still denying there was a problem?

In all honesty, yeah, I've heard a few complaints about the MS's service on the net. But everyone I know that's sent one back go their replacement in about two, two and a half weeks without incident.

Yeah, their policy of extending the 360's warranty against RRoD to three years and fixing all those 360s at a cost of, what'd they say, $3 billion? Yeah, that really gets my goat. Why can't they just do what Sony did and deny that there was any problem until a class action lawsuit over "Disc Read Error" forces them to fix or replace a certain group of consoles, even while still denying there was a problem?

After denying that it was design problem, claiming that it was isolated incidents, after internet sources started reporting on failures, then finally after mainstream media started reporting in on the upwards of 30% failures did Microsoft institute the 3yr RRoD policy. They did the exact same thing Sony did with the DRE's only they caught it before the class-action lawsuits started flying. It was a great PR move. The difference was that RRoD had a home remedy(sorta) while the DRE required people to be technically adept to fix.

RRoD home remedy = wrap towel around 360 and heat it up until the chips reset themselves. Really stupid because even if you do reset the chip you're baking the rest of your components unnecessarily. Could end up with component failure. BUT you don't void warranty so you can claim it just broke and get a new one. Note about replacement 360's that you aren't getting your 360 back but a refurbished one that may or may not work. Again this was noted on all the major game forums.

DRE home remedy = take the PS2 completely apart, void warranty and reset the lens. If you messed up, tough. You voided the warranty yourself. No recourse but to buy a new one.