VF-0 vs VF-1 Engine Intake Covers

So I was watching EP.1 of Mac Zero the other day and when you see Roy transform the VF-0S for the first time, I noticed that on the Engine/Leg intake, the intake covers open up but on the VF-1 they get closed??? Im assuming this is because of the difference in engines between the 2? The VF-0 with overtuned conventional jet engines where as the VF-1 has thermo-nuclear engines???

I'd say it's an animation error, but you could be right and it could very be because of the diffence in engine design.

Someone in the forums must have the 411 on this.

Actually, some of our mere Earth jet engines can be designed to be very tolerant of disturbed air flow - early MiG-29s had intake covers that could be fully closed in flight, and apparently it was possible to fly at up to about 300 knots or so with them closed...! (although there were vents on top of the intakes IIRC for air intake when the covers were closed). Take that, OverTechnology! :lol:

Actually, some of our mere Earth jet engines can be designed to be very tolerant of disturbed air flow - early MiG-29s had intake covers that could be fully closed in flight, and apparently it was possible to fly at up to about 300 knots or so with them closed...! (although there were vents on top of the intakes IIRC for air intake when the covers were closed). Take that, OverTechnology! :lol:

David can probably fact check this, but I thought that mig could also take off from a debris strewn runway just on those top vents. Anyways, the engines are still getting air, if from a slightly different route.

Yes, that is correct AFAIK the Mig-29 has/had these covers which would cover up the main intakes for the engines (under belly intakes) and other vents would open on top. Actually though, from what I understand, the intake covers were not completely solid, but something more along the lines of a metal mesh or something like that to prevent sucking in debris (birds and such).