Yamato 1/60 YF-21 News & Pics

Graham

The only things I'm hoping for are a good shade of blue/purple - can't be too much of either. NICE engine detail, especially on those "petals" They look So cheap if not done well - and face/canopy 21 -> 22 conversion bits - I don't care weather they come as after-market add-ons, just don't make it impossible to remove the face and canopy in a peaceful manner..

If I get all that I'm sold.

Color is pretty important here too. I do think Yamato might make it more of dark blue instead of purple. How many of you guys might get a couple to repaint this bird? Perhaps in like the YF-23 scheme or maybe some exotic aggressor schemes? Let's keep the VF-11 talk in the VF-11 forum shall we? This forum says YF-21 after all and it needs its place lol!

Edited by Hayabusa

The only things I'm hoping for are a good shade of blue/purple - can't be too much of either. NICE engine detail, especially on those "petals" They look So cheap if not done well - and face/canopy 21 -> 22 conversion bits - I don't care weather they come as after-market add-ons, just don't make it impossible to remove the face and canopy in a peaceful manner..

If I get all that I'm sold.

Why would yamato want to make it easy for you to convert the yf-21 to the vf-22? You know they're going to sell their own verion of the vf-22 under the vf-x license.

this reminds me of the 1/48 debates, where people were screaming yamato was "ripping them off" for forcing them to buy the hikaru 1a AND the hikaru 1s instead of supplying the 1s head along with the 1a.

Why would yamato want to make it easy for you to convert the yf-21 to the vf-22? You know they're going to sell their own verion of the vf-22 under the vf-x license.

this reminds me of the 1/48 debates, where people were screaming yamato was "ripping them off" for forcing them to buy the hikaru 1a AND the hikaru 1s instead of supplying the 1s head along with the 1a.

I'm with you eugimon, people should just buy or don't buy the multipules it really won't make that much of a difference.

Sure buying more may cost you, but do you really think Yamato is going to lose the chance to make the money?

Think about it this way, if they make money then they can use said cash to design more and better valk toys. . .

Edited by DARKWIND

Well to be honest there are some detail differences on the belly plates between the 21 and 22, not just panel lines, but the 22 has some extra mass for internal gunpod storage unlike the 21. It would probably require more than just replaceable belly plates, since I'd like to see the 22 really be able to internalize the gunpods in fighter mode. Have the gunpod bay doors open and close. That would be nice. :)

It would also be practice for them to get the VF-17 right, with its special internally held collapsible gunpod. Heh, and we could get a red VF-17 from VFX2, even if it wouldn't be Miria's it's damned well close enough for me. But that's getting off the subject of the 21/22.

A Ravens VF-22S would be so cool. :) Even though I will get a 21, I'd have to pick up a 22. I'm not waiting on the chance that they will, in case they don't. :p

Guest sh002

i think after the 21 and 11b, every valkyrie from vf-x2 should at least be considered or released. that would be cool.

Well other than repaints (VF-19A) the only valks that haven't been done from VFX2 are the VA-3 Invader, VF-11B (fast packs, and protect armor), VF-17, and the VF-22S. You can also count the Pheyo Zentraedi variable fighter, but I think it looks like ass. If they can do VFX1 stuff, VF-4G Lightning III. :D I don't really care for the VB-6 Koenig Monster, I never bought the 1/100 version and wouldn't care if they did a 1/60.

I still want that 1/60 Monster they were working on way back when...

Man, I just can't wait for more pics of the YF-21! :D I'm expecting more interesting things to aide in the transformation from Yamato. I sure wasn't expecting the collapsible leg parts in the 19, or the elbow joints.

Guest sh002

yeah all valkyries from vf-x and vf-x2 plus the vf-5000B from the special edition plus vf-22 max and miria would be cool

Well other than repaints (VF-19A) the only valks that haven't been done from VFX2 are the VA-3 Invader, VF-11B (fast packs, and protect armor), VF-17, and the VF-22S. You can also count the Pheyo Zentraedi variable fighter, but I think it looks like ass. If they can do VFX1 stuff, VF-4G Lightning III. :D I don't really care for the VB-6 Koenig Monster, I never bought the 1/100 version and wouldn't care if they did a 1/60.

I still want that 1/60 Monster they were working on way back when...

Man, I just can't wait for more pics of the YF-21! :D I'm expecting more interesting things to aide in the transformation from Yamato. I sure wasn't expecting the collapsible leg parts in the 19, or the elbow joints.

Heh, I'm looking forward to the line art comparison debates. :p

But, kidding aside, I hope we get more updates/pics then we did with the SV-51... :(

Heh, I'm looking forward to the line art comparison debates. :p

But, kidding aside, I hope we get more updates/pics then we did with the SV-51... :(

I'll say it to get it out of the way, even though we haven't seen that part of the 21 yet:

"Itz hanz. They ahr tu smahl."

Now that I think about it. Graham had mentioined that Yamato went through a few different approaches on the YF-19. I'm curious to know if they've had a few different approaches to the YF-21. Like "fighter mode too fat", "legs too thin", "ack it will break".

I'll say it to get it out of the way, even though we haven't seen that part of the 21 yet:

"Itz hanz. They ahr tu smahl."

Now that I think about it. Graham had mentioined that Yamato went through a few different approaches on the YF-19. I'm curious to know if they've had a few different approaches to the YF-21. Like "fighter mode too fat", "legs too thin", "ack it will break".

aw, come on, we all know yamato chooses: ack it will break

:p

Yeah umm...I don't really like my YF-21 to be some kiddy version transformers with spring loaded clear-red-missiles :lol: . I would still go with the opening missile bay hatches/platform and the wing warp. When are we expecting our new updates on pictures?

Wait a minute, I could have sworn as just the figher it self if doesn't have gun pods. The gun pods were part of the fast pack so unless it is the VF-22 the gun pods wouldn't actually be stored on the normal fighter version of the craft. The main weapons in Battriod mode were the guns located right above the hands, but then i could be wrong but if you look at the Design Works book it clearly shows no gun pods on the figher.

Yes, the YF-21 can fit the 2 x gunpods to the belly plates without the FAST pack. It is shown flying with them and shooting them simulaneously with the lasers in fighter mode in episode # 2 of the OVA.

Graham

Yes, the YF-21 can fit the 2 x gunpods to the belly plates without the FAST pack. It is shown flying with them and shooting them simulaneously with the lasers in fighter mode in episode # 2 of the OVA.

Graham

Proof that not only has Graham seen the actual YF-21 prototype toy, but he's probably playing with it as we speculate & dream about it!!

:lol:

Proof that not only has Graham seen the actual YF-21 prototype toy, but he's probably playing with it as we speculate & dream about it!!

:lol:

nah, he's just confirming that the anime yf-21 can do this... it's not proof that the toy can. Of course, if he *were* talking about the toy it would be good news.

I dont necessarily want the flexy wings, in fact I dont think they're necessary at all. i was just saying if they were gonna do it, the only way to pull em off would be interchangable ones.

Instead of the wing warp, I'd rather see the wings do that fast mode(is that what it's called?), where the wings are slightly bent/folded downward.

There's something menacing, almost like a predator ready to pounce, when the 21's going into that pose.

Instead of the wing warp, I'd rather see the wings do that fast mode(is that what it's called?), where the wings are slightly bent/folded downward.

There's something menacing, almost like a predator ready to pounce, when the 21's going into that pose.

well, that mode is a given, since the wings have to be able to fold in that way for transformation into battroid.

Sigh~! Oh well, I wrote it down in my earlier post in how Yamato should do the high-speed mode. Anyways, instead of how the Yamato 1/72 YF-21 wings just bent down with a simple hinge, I was suggesting a FOWLER FLAP-like wing tips. So this means like the same flaps used on the B-747 Jumbo Jets when landing or taking off, the wings of the YF-21 tips have layers of wings on top of each other that slide downwards and rearwards. So that way you don't have a hinge fold-downed high speed mode, but rather a smoother curved highspeed mode. So of course the sliding system like the flaps on aircrafts is made on the YF-21 so that you don't see the sliding slots or glides. So no bendable rubber wings or exchangeble parts. If you guys don't know what I'm talking about I'll later just do couple sketches. For now watch this:

. Just picture the exact or similar mechanism used on the tips of the wings so it would be seamless, smooth, and savvy.

Also this is other detail I want on the YF-21: post-5612-1186486186_thumb.jpg Have those working covers for the gunpods.

Edited by Hayabusa

In addition to being way too complex and expensive on a toy, it'd only work if the wing curved in only one direction. The YF-21 has clearly shown it can curve the wings both up, and down. It can flat out "magically stretch" the wing itself. Fowler flaps may allow some semblance of that, but only in one direction--especially if you want a smooth curve with multi-slotted flaps.

In addition to being way too complex and expensive on a toy, it'd only work if the wing curved in only one direction. The YF-21 has clearly shown it can curve the wings both up, and down. It can flat out "magically stretch" the wing itself. Fowler flaps may allow some semblance of that, but only in one direction--especially if you want a smooth curve with multi-slotted flaps.

eugimon Posted Today, 03:12 AM

while that's a great idea... I highly doubt we'll see something so complex. just look at the SV-51 wing, multiple moving segmets, just simple hinges.

I don't really want the YF-21 to "flex" the wings upwards. Just that downward and rearward is just fine so only one direction is good. Thats why I liked the fowler flap concept. Then again it is possible to make it smooth without any slots visible by creating additional flat-semi-curved wings panels on top of each other. So basically the moving mechanical parts are stowed on top of the wing, inside the wing, and under the wingtips.

SV-51 is a highly complex design for something made from Legos in the beginning too! I know Yamato can achieve this much more detail on the YF-21. I know it. We've already seen how they did the 1/48 VF-1s with the leg struts, the 1/100 Monster, 1/60 VF-0, and the two new YF-19 and SV-51s. The YF-19 surprised us with those arm mechanism and the fuselage, and the SV-51 with the entire body and wings. So I highly believe it will possible to make.

Edited by Hayabusa

anything is possible, but it's just not practical. Besides, you'd have to make the wings much thicker to accomodate the flaps. Then there's the deployment method and the likelihood of the flaps jamming or coming off their rails/guides. It's just a lot of work and effort for something that is not critical to the design of the toy nor the transformation of the toy.