Macross Zero F-14

big F

I just wanted to ask some of you more military minded types. Which version of the F-14 did they use for M Zreo ? Was it an existing model or some hash up or varient unknown. Im just interested is all

I'm sure David is writting a response to this right now but just in case he isn't. The F-14B Kai/A+ Kai is a bit of a mash up between a reletively accurate F-14D exterior and an F-14A cockpit. I think David found the exterior most closely resembles a Fujimi F-14D model.

Yup, I think they used the Fujimi F-14D kit as their reference. Which means it actually is externally closer to a B, with a D's chinpod. The entire shroud/fairing area around the engines "isn't quite right". And the cockpit is A/B. It can carry AMRAAMs, but doesn't seem to use the F-14's AMRAAM rail---likely because they didn't know what it looks like, there's very few pics out there.

If you get really picky, the Sidewinders couldn't fly due to having "dummy fins" and the AMRAAMs are dummy missiles entirely. :)

I believe they intended for it to simply be an F-14B with a D's chinpod (Thus "F-14B Kai"), but due to poor references/research, it wasn't.

I believe they intended for it to simply be an F-14B with a D's chinpod (Thus "F-14B Kai"), but due to poor references/research, it wasn't.

They could have gone completely with the D variant, since IU, it would be the latest Tomcat to fly (even if it's for a fictional UN government). I'm going more with the "poor research" option there

My vote woulda' been for the F-14D, too.

The engines, as I recall, were definitely NOT TF-30s in the artwork.

Edited by Skull-1

They could have gone completely with the D variant, since IU, it would be the latest Tomcat to fly (even if it's for a fictional UN government). I'm going more with the "poor research" option there

Or exceptionally good research on the wrong subject. From the loving detail they put into the interior shots of Shin's cockpit I'm willing to bet they actually sent someone out to take pictures of an actual F-14's cockpit. The only easily reachable examples in 2001/2002 would be the Tomcats of VF-154 at NAF Atsugi. The only problem was: VF-154 flew F-14As.

Another point:

The Fujimi F-14D kit has an A's cockpit. But if they intended to make an F-14D, and used the Fujimi as reference--why is it the F-14A+ Kai, and not the F-14D Kai?

Someone caught the mistake after they'd animated everything but before they released the specs?

I have wondered why they went with the F-14 instead of going with the F-203 (from Macross), which was the UN Forces main fighter at the time.

Just a thought.

Heightening the sense of realism and/or distancing the project further from the SDF:M export-to-the-USA legal hurdles (note the lack of everything from SDF:M. Even the character designs are radically different.)

Another point:

The Fujimi F-14D kit has an A's cockpit. But if they intended to make an F-14D, and used the Fujimi as reference--why is it the F-14A+ Kai, and not the F-14D Kai?

Probably because the A+ was the predominate version of the Tomcat. There were only 37 "D"'s build before Chaney terminated the project back in 1990 (prolly due to the development of the F-18 Super Hornet as the new naval carrier fighter).

Edited by Zinjo

Wow I Thought this would gernerate some interesting P.O.V`s

Im guessing that some of the variations visually are much the same to look at as they were more electronic upgrades.

I only ever really got to see the Lynx helos when I was doing my Airframe apprentiship (dang me for changing to electronics) One of the upgrades for the Lynx was two crates of gear and a new paint job an an engine replacement. A couple of the ones They did while I was there were more "that pile of stuff is what we dont need, these two bits are what were keeping"

So with that in mind did Hasegawa make a anime true kit or was it just an F-14A with a macross paint job and decals with a few missiles and a Chin pilot ? I only ask as I never saw one in the flesh.

Eiather way The F-14 and the F-4 are my favorite Aircraft ever so I wont here a bad thing said against em

Edited by big F

Hasegawa took their previous "old mold" F-14A kit and gave it a new decal sheet. It's not Shin's plane at all. They didn't even use their current standard mold! How cheap of them.

If you want a model of Shin's plane, buy an F-14D and get Shin's decal sheet. (Since every F-14D kit ever included all the parts needed for a B, just use the B's cockpit parts). Alternatively, buy a B, and find a D's chinpod.

Hasegawa took their previous "old mold" F-14A kit and gave it a new decal sheet. It's not Shin's plane at all. They didn't even use their current standard mold! How cheap of them.

If you want a model of Shin's plane, buy an F-14D and get Shin's decal sheet. (Since every F-14D kit ever included all the parts needed for a B, just use the B's cockpit parts). Alternatively, buy a B, and find a D's chinpod.

You'd also need to get Hasegawa's weapons set V for for the AMRAAMs.

So, has anyone ever replicated the colour scheme from the anime on a kit? With all that blue shimmery magic and all...

PS: I remember a discussion on this F-14 way back on ARC when the first epsiode aired....

Edited by dodgethis

I think they were going for the standard F-14 low-vis 3-tone scheme. With the incredible amounts of dirt/patching/weathering they go through, it's often impossible to tell if they're painted right or not. The studio certainly got the dirt and patches right.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got from a garage sale a mint still all wrapped up as the day it left Hasegawa a 1987 vintage F-14 A kit Number K12:1200

K12.jpg For anyone who can remember kits from that long ago.

Checked it out and the instructions are page for page identical to the macross one. the only difference it the Macross kit has a diferent decal set and an extra sheet to show you where to put the decals.

All I need to do is replicate the MZero decals and away I go.

The really great thing is I paid £5 for it.

To think I nearly bought a new one for £20

Edited by big F

• 4 weeks later...
I have wondered why they went with the F-14 instead of going with the F-203 (from Macross), which was the UN Forces main fighter at the time.

Just a thought.

Realistically I doubt there was ever a "main" fighter, especially with a multinational unit. Even different branches in the same nation don't have the same planes for their own mission requirements. Every nation just brought in what they had. Focker was American so they probably had another plane up for delievery, the F-203, when the war got going. You can't expect the creators of the series to envision the F-22 or anything in the early '80s.

I just got from a garage sale a mint still all wrapped up as the day it left Hasegawa a 1987 vintage F-14 A kit Number K12:1200

Hey I had that kit back in 1987 ^_^, except mine was vintage 1983-85, when the kit came with hi-vis Starfighter decals - your right, the instruction sheets are exactly the same, except the decal instructions. They could have had the decency to use their only "slightly" newer F-14A+ kit, which at least had the correct GE engine tailpipes.

I am currently working on a Macross F-14. Not shin's F-14 but a VF-103 "Jolly Roger" with Roy as pilot just before changing to the VF-0 project. I am using the Hasegawa F-14B kit as it is IMO Hasegawa make the best F-14 kit ( I just don't like the Fujimi kit ).

I would however agree that the Macross Zero F-14 is a B model, but I can see no reason why all models of the tomcat would have been used depending on how bad the war became and how pushed for resorces the UN became.

The Hasegawa Macross Zero box art pic's show whats looks like an F-14A but the F-14 in the show clearly had the updated engines which makes me agree with the F-14B model.