VF-11 Thunderbolt - anyone got one?

PetarB

I've been hunting around for a resin 1/72 VF-11 Thunderbolt. I've had one on order from Hobbyfan, but Im rapidly becoming very disenchanted with their service, and Im trying to work out exactly whether I want to pursue this model. One problem is I can't find any great pics of the model. Does anyone have one made up, or pics of one finished?

You can always get an old yamato 1/72 VF-11 until Hobbyfan gets around to filling the order.

I have read the SHE VF-11 is close to 1/72 but those are hard to find.

Plus, I do not know how it would look if you want to put your VF-11 next to a Hasegawa V-1

I have a 1/72nd VF-11 Super Battroid made by Hobby Base Retppu that I am building right now. I can confidently recommend this kit if you can find one. I payed 120$ on ebay for mine. Superior casting quality and good quality resin in this kit. As with any resin kit there is some clean up to be done but it had minimum flash (mostly just pour stubbs) and almost no surface detail defects. I have needed minimum putty thus far. The instructions are very basic and only show the kit from a front veiw so you have to figure out the backside on your own but it is pretty intuitive. Also some of the poly caps are one piece that have to be cut down to two or three pieces. This is a little annoying but doable with a sharp hobby knife. I am assembling the major components now and when I start painting I will try to put up some pics for you.

Edited by Replicant Mechanic

Give me a few more months and this 1/72 VF-11 Full Armour will be available ^_^

Used some parts from the Hobby Base Retppu kit and the rest is scratch build by my very good friend B))

post-1066-1185280999_thumb.jpg

post-1066-1185281008_thumb.jpg

Edited by Valk009

Hey Andy that looks pretty good.. I am glad someone has finally tackled that idea If here's a list for that 1/72 armor sign me in...

the upgraded reptuu battroid gun is very nice detailed but I am thinking the armored laser gun should be pretty big at that scale..

V

That looks great! Well done.

On another note, I know a few months ago some recasts of the fighter were made availalbe on this forum, and sold out... surely one or two of those people might have made theirs by now...? I'd love to see one.

The big laser cannon is under construction and it is huge...bigger than the valk itself! At first I thought of making the armour removable but due to many technical difficulties, such as Kawamori's anime magic, the valk not looking in porportion and the access to the vintage VF-11 battroid kit, I have come to the solution to make the armour non removable.

That looks great! Well done.

On another note, I know a few months ago some recasts of the fighter were made availalbe on this forum, and sold out... surely one or two of those people might have made theirs by now...? I'd love to see one.

I remember that too. I missed out on that opportunity.....I think it was Valyrie...can't remember. whomever it was said they thought they would make more available but it never happened as far as I know. I really wanted a club M VF-11, actual or recast.:( . The Club M sculpt is by far the best looking VF-11 fighter available.

Chris

I didn't feel like opening a new thread for this, I just wanna know if someone has any comparison pics of the various VF-11 kits between the Club-M 1/72, SHE 1/100, IHP 1/100 and Wave 1/100

and is the SHE really 1/100 or is it more like 1/72?

The SHE kit is 1/72 scale. Compared to hasagawas kits and the repttu kit

The IHP is 1/100 scale.

The Wave is 1/72 Scale

• 1 year later...
bump because I'm still interested. Anyone got any buildup pics? I'd love to see some. Specifically interested in fighter mode.

Funny you should ask... I've got a recast of a Club-M one on the go along with a couple of other things. I'm almost finished the main assemblies (wings, tailfins, body) filled in the landing gear pits with morimori, and now just finetuning things before prepping for painting, then final assemblies.

I'll snap some photos for you over the next few days. I'll warn you now my skill is average at best.

This thread was closed for 2 years and just re appeared!!. I am surprised you haven't caught any models on Evilbay Petar. Since the last post 2 years ago I might have seen about 15 auctions for the fighter model come by. Some of them for under $150. I payed almost $200 for mine. I already have them so I didn't dig one thinking you might have already get them...

I would like to get my hands on the Vf-5000 SHE model I don't have, since is close to 1/72 sclae.

Well I only saw one auction (for $300+), but I must admit I do not look every week... or even every second week! Still, before I drop some money on this model, I would like to see comparison pics... or any pics at all! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Petar. Sorry for the late reply, but here are some photos of my slow buildup of a Club M recast as well as an in-depth review.

I think it was done by someone on the boards here. The recast came with a photocopy of the original instructions, which gives me a sense of what the original kit possessed. The original came with a number of options including space fastpacks (rounded ones, for a VF-11b), and two solid-rocket boosters (from first episode of the OAV) as well four High Maneuverability missiles. Mine didn't have all of those pieces, only the Fast Packs and the original VF-11b gunpod. For some reason apparently the Club-M version has a VF-11C gunpod for a VF-11B model. I'm not sure how, but this recast comes with a VF-11B, possibly pilfered from a Hobby Base battroid... I could be wrong though.

The model also has a number of other extras. It includes a displayable nose radar array. Different attachment points for the fast packs on the top of the airframe (a smooth airframe, vs a mechanical one... which I used.) The air intake has a cover for it when its in space. Finally the cockpit is pretty well done, has a decent pilot and good detail. Its quality and design kinda reminds me of the VF-4 resin that Valk009 sold on here before.

Mine had some warping. Nothing terrible but it needed straightening out with hot water. There was some very light pitting, but I think one surfacer coat should eliminate that. The only issue is the somewhat dubious fit at points, particularly the nose, the wings to the fuselage and the cockpit tub to the "neck." Its taken alot of sanding at times to get it together properly. Pinning is almost a must on the wings and probably for the tail surfaces. Yet it looks pretty good and its a nicely done model. I'd recommend it to you.

Here are two photos are of it being built right now.... I'll take a few more over the couple of other days.

th_IMG_0065.jpg

th_IMG_0066.jpg

Edited by Noyhauser

Oh man Peter I wish I knew you wanted one. I had one and sold it on Ebay. I had them on this forum for sale but no one wanted it then I ended up selling it for 80.00.

[Darth Vader voice] NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! [/voice]

• 4 weeks later...

It would be a long and expensive exercise, I fear! At the moment I'm creating something about half that size, and it's already taken a lot longer than I estimated (not Macross).

Anyway, I would really love to see Noyhauser complete his.