Knight Rider the Movie (and Series)

wolfx

Not me. I mean, yeah, the show was full of cheese, but I grew up watching the original, which was just as cheesy. I'm not surprised they canceled it, though. I know I was in the minority, and KR had to be one of the more expensive shows to produce.

I also enjoyed the show, but am totally not surprised that it's gone. Just when it was hitting its stride as far as bringing plot points together, they did the re-tool. Which wasn't that bad in and of itself, but I didn't enjoy the totally episodic nature after that.

And expensive to produce? It couldn't have been because of the actor's salaries... ;)

And expensive to produce? It couldn't have been because of the actor's salaries... ;)

True. I was thinking more of the CGI, and the fact that while Ford Mustangs aren't too pricey (depending), Shelby Mustangs are. The GT-500KR, in fact, is around $80,000 last I looked, and figure that they'd need a handful of them...

The cars used on the show were probably base model V6s with a lot of body kiting, and custom interiors. The CG kept them from beating up cars, like the original series did.

The show was really hitting it's stride, with the last handfull of episodes. Too bad that came after NBC played around with other shows in that time slot, and seemed to have dropped all advertising for it. They pulled a Fox.

The cars used on the show were probably base model V6s with a lot of body kiting, and custom interiors. The CG kept them from beating up cars, like the original series did.

The show was really hitting it's stride, with the last handfull of episodes. Too bad that came after NBC played around with other shows in that time slot, and seemed to have dropped all advertising for it. They pulled a Fox.

While I suppose it's possible they bought a stock Ford Mustang and kitted it up to look like a Shelby, as far as I know they used at least one Shelby GT500KR.

They had CG in the original series?

I think he means in the original they kept a few extra Trans Ams around to trash during stunts because they didn't have CGI.

i agree, though it had possibilities.

imdb has a movie in the works. for 2012

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384254/

Lol, right. I guess that's the trick when you've got a bad concept and you won't let it die: let it bomb now in the present, and then wait a few years to re-introduce it to another unsuspecting generation of people.

Knight Rider sucked then, it sucked now, it will suck in the future. If Knight Rider was a woman I'd marry it ten times over, but as for giving it screen time? Definitely not...

Edited by myk

Kinda sad really, when you think about it: that Hollywood recycles and re-uses themes, ideas and imagery so much so that someone can take footage from a hodgepodge of shows nearly 20 years apart in production, tie it together--and still get it to flow [relatively] seamlessly into a little "mini-movie."

Good riddance, indeed.

Edited by reddsun1

• 1 year later...

...So, wait, K.A.R.R. was an evil, transforming, Cylon Optimus Prime in the reboot? So, so bad... I'm glad I ignored childhood nostalgia and gave this series a pass. O.o

Funny how KARR sounds all heroic and noble and KITT sounds like a fat out of work has been with a bloated sense of accomplishment

God help me, I actually miss this show. Maybe it's because I was like four when the original was on, but when you give bad actors a talking car, I'm hooked.

It's kind of a bummer that the show was broadcast in HD, but there was no blu-ray release, just standard-def DVD.

Edited by mikeszekely

I preferred the first 10 or so episodes to the last half of the season. It just seemed like there was more going on in the background. There was the mystery of Michael's memory, his will-they-or-won't-they with Sarah, the mystery of who was running The Foundation and why... Some good concepts that got kneecapped by the network and executives. Too bad, really.

God help me

Sorry, you're beyond help ^_^

Edited by CoryHolmes

I preferred the first 10 or so episodes to the last half of the season. It just seemed like there was more going on in the background. There was the mystery of Michael's memory, his will-they-or-won't-they with Sarah, the mystery of who was running The Foundation and why... Some good concepts that got kneecapped by the network and executives. Too bad, really.

Sorry, you're beyond help ^_^

You hear that mikeszekely, even CoryHolmes thinks you're off the mark with this one... *shudder*

:D

• 9 years later...

Honestly, I always thought the original concept was lacking in that you had this marvelous feat of technology driven by an ordinary man, if you can call the Hoff ordinary. :lol:  I'd love to  see the concept reimagined in a more Cyberpunk setting, where not only the car is highly modified, but also the driver, similar to Jensen from the Deus Ex games. Maybe not as extensively modified as that, but certainly with some enhancements that give him some advantages over the majority of bad guys. Or go full cyborg. Either way, make it clear that that level of technology is rather restricted, and that while many people have implants, most of them innocuous, at this point in time, Michael Knight is a bit of a singularity for all his capabilities.

And give the writing more gravitas and dial down the cringeworthy cheese.  A good writer can instill humor without resorting to cheesiness.

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

I'd love to  see the concept reimagined in a more Cyberpunk setting, where not only the car is highly modified, but also the driver, similar to Jensen from the Deus Ex games. Maybe not as extensively modified as that, but certainly with some enhancements that give him some advantages over the majority of bad guys.

Like a bulletproof plate in his head? :)

Been too many years since I watched the original show, so I'd forgotten about the skull plate. The wrist communicator- that was the hotness in the 80's; today he'd probably have a Bluetooth in his ear at all times. In my head version, Michael's comm gear would be built-in.

Funny they never sprayed the bullet-proof stuff on Michael's leather jacket. IIRC, in the original pilot, KITT was made from some super-alloy. Later in the series, they just sprayed the super sauce on whatever to make it indestructible. I believe that's how they made Goliath indestructible. Then we got KITT 2.0 with his super pursuit mode (which looked like ass, IMHO). YMMV

The real question is, what kind of car would KITT be in the future, as the Pontiac Trans Am is a bit of an anachronism by today's standards. There are a few cool concepts on the interwebs.

The more I give thought to a possible film, I think I'd like to see Chris Nolan's take on it.