Knight Rider the Movie (and Series)

wolfx

With GM?

The company that sent a legal notice to the producers requesting they not refer to KITT as a TransAm because they were sick of people asking dealerships for the TransAm with the Knight Rider computer in it?

The original actor who was supposed to vice KITT was already the voice/narrator of GM commercials on TV. I guess they didn't want the same voice to be behind a Ford Mustang.

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

wait a minute....gotta. catch. breath.

my favorite has GOT to be: "Braking (70 to 0 mph): 14 ft" vs "Braking (300 to 0 mph): 12 ft"

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

so, has Knight Industries got a 3-shift detail of cleanup crews on call, so's they can mop up the greasy stains that used to be the KITT drivers, every time they go testing that deceleration performance?

okay, I thought it was cool when I was a kid back in the 80's....

but Jesus, for anybody with the intellect of a 10 yr old or older, this takes "willing suspension of disbelief" and just KICKS IT IN THE BALLS...

Edited by reddsun1

Dr. Evil (from Austin Powers): "In the distant future, I predict that average people will be able to electronically capture and record still images in motion on their own without the aid of movie cameras or film. These motion images will be called (making a "quotation" gesture with hand signals) 'video' and will be stored and processed on a cassette tape instead of film."

No. 1: "But we already have..."

Dr. Evil: "Sshhsh... I am not finished, No. 1! This new revolutionary technology will be called Video Cassette Recording, or (again, making a quotation gesture with hand signals) "V.C.R." for short."

No. 1: "With all due respect, sir, we already have that technology. In fact, that technology is now out-dated and are seldom used. We have moved onto greater things."

Dr. Evil: "People! People! I've been frozen for thirty frickin' years! You have to tell me these things~" OK?

Dr. Evil (from Austin Powers): "In the distant future, I predict that average people will be able to electronically capture and record still images in motion on their own without the aid of movie cameras or film. These motion images will be called (making a "quotation" gesture with hand signals) 'video' and will be stored and processed on a cassette tape instead of film."

Dr. Evil: "Sshhsh... I am not finished, No. 1! This new revolutionary technology will be called Video Cassette Recording, or (again, making a quotation gesture with hand signals) "V.C.R." for short."

No. 1: "With all due respect, sir, we already have that technology. In fact, that technology is now out-dated and are seldom used. We have moved onto greater things."

Dr. Evil: "People! People! I've been frozen for thirty frickin' years! You have to tell me these things~" OK?

:lol:

The original actor who was supposed to vice KITT was already the voice/narrator of GM commercials on TV. I guess they didn't want the same voice to be behind a Ford Mustang.

Ah. That'd make sense.

I thought you meant GM was checking him because of the original TV show.

If he's currently contracted for GM ads, that's different.

Dr. Evil: "Throw me a frickin' bone here! I'm the boss! Need the info!"

Okay, for as much as I complained about how lame a Mustang for K.I.T.T. is, I of course watched Knight Rider tonight. I mean, c'mon, it was my favorite show as a kid. I've loved Knight Rider for about as long as I could talk. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, right?

Yeah, I entered the contest. I only want the Shelby Mustang, though, and even then only because it's K.I.T.T. Yeah, it might be a Mustang now, but I've wanted to own K.I.T.T since I was two.

Ironically, the new Knight Rider has me itching to buy a Trans Am more than any Ford vehicle.

Anyway, with duds like Knight Rider 2000, Team Knight Rider, and Knight Rider 2010, I didn't have high hopes for this show. Some of the stuff in the show, like the nanotech and that hideous second spoiler in Pursuit Mode, are still a little cheesy, but on the whole I really enjoyed it. Without spoilers, let's just say that it went a long way toward capturing the feel of the original show while keeping it in a more modern setting.

And for the spoilers,

I think having Mike Traceur as Michael Knight's son was a little cliche, but at the same time, I'm really happy that this Knight Rider is a sequel to the original, and not a reimagining. And how awesome was the Hoff's cameo at the end? I hope that NBC decides to go ahead and make Knight Rider a primetime show, and I really hope they can get Hasslehoff on board. It'd be kind cool to have Michael Knight in Devon Miles' old role.

it was meh. Maybe it would have been better if there wasn't a commercial every 5 minutes.

The whole, only bullet proof when the computer is on... that's just lame. the old KITT was bullet proof all the time, did bullet technology increase greatly in the past twenty years that the old bullet proofing technology just couldn't cut it anymore?

Edited by eugimon

No F Body no care.

No that's not true...even if it did have one, the campiness would be unbearable.

But in it's favor, it retained nearly everything the original did...including extra cheese.

Edited by Gaijin

Is nano-tech the answer to everything? Even though it's still very much in its infancy?

It all travels in cycles and reflects the era it was made in. The robotics/animation of the 80s (Knight Rider, Bionic Woman, Six Million Dollar Man, Superforce, etc.) reflected IMHO the Information Age during its infancy. Nanotech is the modern-day version of that, even if it is overwrought. Also, because its in its infancy, it's easier to take liberties with the technology without the audience giiving a collective eye-roll :rolleyes:B))

Edited by CoryHolmes

It all travels in cycles and reflects the era it was made in. The robotics/animation of the 80s (Knight Rider, Bionic Woman, Six Million Dollar Man, Superforce, etc.) reflected IMHO the Information Age during its infancy.

Yes, let's not forget the power of computers displayed in AUTOMAN!

Bittorrent here i come.

Nanotech is the techie equivalent of genetic engineered that Hollywood is in love with. Every re-image has G.E in it if it cant be explained by nanotech or computers with big harddrives.

This aired? I guess now I'm able to say that I worked on the NBC promos for this and got to work with the Mustang KITT. I'm probably never going to watch it tho. I loved KR as a kid but can barely watch it now.

I think it's safe to say that we can all blame EXO for this one... :p

knightrider.jpgtv-pg.gif

Knight Rider ( ナイトライダー )

NBC/Universal Pictures, 2008

Directed by Steve Shill (Law & Order, Dexter)

Based upon characters created by Glen A. Larson (Battlestar Galactica, Magnum P.I)

Running Time: 100 minutes

Rated TV-PG for violence, mature situations and mild language.

Cast

Justin Bruening as Mike Traceur

Deanna Russo (random voices in Porco Rosso and Whisper of the Heart) as Sarah Graiman

Val Kilmer (rumored to be David Lee Roth in The Dirt) as Knight Industries Three Thousand a.k.a. KITT

Sydney Tamiia Poitier (Jungle Julia in Death Proof) as Carrie Rivai

Bruce Davison (Senator Kelly in X2: X-Men United, Dr. Stegman in Kingdom Hospital) as Charles Graiman

Greg Ellis (Amador in 24, Stonefire in Heavy Gear) as Welther

Kevin Dunigan as Smoke

Jack Yang as Cross

Wayne Kasserman as Dylan Fass

Chris Mulkey as Sheriff Ramsey

Susan Gibney as Jennifer Traceur

David Hasselhoff (Germany still loves him) as Michael Knight

Synopsis

When unknown assailants invade engineering genius Charles Graiman's home in search of top secret information, Graiman's latest creation goes online. A heavily modified version of a Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500KR, Knight Industries Three Thousand - a.k.a. KITT - storms out of the house to retrieve Graiman's daughter Sarah and protect her on their way to rendezvous with Mike Traceur, a former Army Ranger who also happens to be Sarah's ex-boyfriend. When Mike and Sarah are reunited, they take KITT with them in search of Charles.

Lowdown

For the past few months since photos of the new KITT were posted online, many fans were quick to criticize this new movie. Majority of the rants were from hardcore fans of the old series who believe KITT should always be a Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Now that the movie just aired on TV, I'm happy to say that the Knight Rider is not as bad as expected.

Story-wise, there isn't much to expect. It's more like a two-hour Ford commercial. It would've been okay to have just some beaters on the road, but to have KITT weave through a canyon road and pass through a Ford Fusion and a Volvo S40 while being chased by a Ford Edge is just ridiculous. As for the characters, they seem generic and random. And David Hasselhoff's cameo appearance doesn't really do much other than develop Mike's character being the estranged son of Michael Knight.

Like the original KITT, the new one voiced by Val Kilmer provides some comic relief in the movie. He is, however, not as funny as his predecessor, as he has a more serious tone. As for the car itself, KITT is bulletproof like his predecessor, but that's only if he's online. (Otherwise, when KITT's offline, he's just an ordinary Mustang.) Yes, he looks ricey on his high speed mode, but it's not as bad as the original's Super Pursuit Mode.

The new movie sucks compared to the original series. But you have to admit that after going through three disastrous spinoffs (Knight Rider 2000, Knight Rider 2010 and Team Knight Rider), this one is actually a sigh of relief. Perhaps this will get better if and when NBC expands this into a full-blown series.

Rating: C+

Links

NBC's Official Knight Rider Homepage

Reference

The Internet Movie Database

Edited by areaseven

I like the Mustang's front. I still think that Ford should go over the rear end for a bit more revision and streamlining. I'd always like the KITT car, the talking car capable of blistering speed and bullet proof technology. I remember as a kid, if I can have a talking car, that's as close as I'll get to a transformer.

The movie/show was a little bland. They should have made the music and cut transition like 24/lost/Bullit ... that would be cool.