1/18/08 Cloverfield

Well maybe we'll get lucky and they make it Cloverfield: Area 51 or Cloverfield Does Vegas. Blowing up hookers for the WIN!! :lol:

I think this well get turned into the monster movie version of the SAW franchise. Decent first movie, followed by souless, churned out sequels every year for a quick paycheck.

With as cheap as the first Cloverfield was to make, they could easily follow the "SAW" template. The only thing holding them back from milking this thing for every last drop IMHO would be JJ Abrams. I don't know a whole lot about the guy but he seems to be a very "I did it, it's done, let's move on to something new" kind of guy. They might have him for one sequel but I get the impression he will walk if number three gets tabled.

With as cheap as the first Cloverfield was to make, they could easily follow the "SAW" template. The only thing holding them back from milking this thing for every last drop IMHO would be JJ Abrams. I don't know a whole lot about the guy but he seems to be a very "I did it, it's done, let's move on to something new" kind of guy. They might have him for one sequel but I get the impression he will walk if number three gets tabled.

I don't know, I feel like he milked Alias for a few seasons more than it needed to go, so I don't think he would be too adverse to the extra money.

I enjoyed it, but I also don't suffer from motion sickness at all.

I still think the scaries part was

rescuing that chick from the building. The camera angle, due to gravity, really bothered me. Keep in mind, I REALLY don't like skyscrapers.

Overall, enjoyable, though.

On a side note, my friend wanted me to see Meet the Spartans with her. I'm glad she paid. God.

• 2 weeks later...

Cloverfield monster toy now available for $100.00

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBra...=21030&PG=1

Cloverfield Monster Features:

* 70 points of articulation and incredible life-like detail

* Authentic sound

* 14” tall

* 10 parasites

* Two interchangeable heads

* Statue of Liberty head accessory

* Special Cloverfield collector’s edition packaging

In conjunction with the launch of the highly anticipated CLOVERFIELD movie release, Hasbro, in a partnership with Bad Robot and Paramount Pictures, has produced a super-articulated and highly detailed limited collector’s edition Cloverfield Monster.

The Cloverfield monster is available exclusively through HasbroToyShop.com. Reserve your Cloverfield monster today to have the opportunity to receive it when it ships later this year. Limited quantities are available.

Includes 3 “AAA” Batteries.

post-1065-1203122839_thumb.jpg

post-1065-1203122844_thumb.jpg

post-1065-1203122848_thumb.jpg

Cloverfield monster toy now available for $100.00

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBra...=21030&PG=1

Cloverfield Monster Features:

* 70 points of articulation and incredible life-like detail

* Authentic sound

* 14” tall

* 10 parasites

* Two interchangeable heads

* Statue of Liberty head accessory

* Special Cloverfield collector’s edition packaging

In conjunction with the launch of the highly anticipated CLOVERFIELD movie release, Hasbro, in a partnership with Bad Robot and Paramount Pictures, has produced a super-articulated and highly detailed limited collector’s edition Cloverfield Monster.

The Cloverfield monster is available exclusively through HasbroToyShop.com. Reserve your Cloverfield monster today to have the opportunity to receive it when it ships later this year. Limited quantities are available.

Includes 3 “AAA” Batteries.

I liked the movie and everything but who the hell want that ugly thing? I guess you have to make it exclusive to move it. Nice sculpt though.

it states that theres 70 points of articulation

does ever knuckle bend ? i figure it cant have more than 30

it just doesnt look like it offers that much movement

Maybe they're counting the joints on the 10 included parasites too

It didn't look so lanky. To me at least.

Seeing it from a ground eye perspective probably helped make the limbs not seem so thin. Seeing all the limbs in relation to the rest of the beast makes it seem lankier than what you saw in screen. At least thats my guess.

Seeing it from a ground eye perspective probably helped make the limbs not seem so thin. Seeing all the limbs in relation to the rest of the beast makes it seem lankier than what you saw in screen. At least thats my guess.

I can see that, I just don't see how seeing it from ground level or even from above while in the helicopter makes me see a completely different color.

I can see that, I just don't see how seeing it from ground level or even from above while in the helicopter makes me see a completely different color.

Well the beast looked very slick/wet in the movie, that mixed with most of it being filmed at night, with it being illuminated by explosions, nightlights ect, I think gave it a redder tint on film. This is just speculation, regarding the color they could just have messed things up with this figure. I went through and counted all the possible points of articulation on the figure, and I can't see how they managed to count 70. Unless the tail is articulated with 50 extra joints or something.

Well the beast looked very slick/wet in the movie, that mixed with most of it being filmed at night, with it being illuminated by explosions, nightlights ect, I think gave it a redder tint on film. This is just speculation, regarding the color they could just have messed things up with this figure. I went through and counted all the possible points of articulation on the figure, and I can't see how they managed to count 70. Unless the tail is articulated with 50 extra joints or something.

Yeah, the POA number is baffling.

Agreed on the color, but toward the end of the movie when it was in Central Park and when it was being bombed it looked a lot more gray to me and not NEARLY so white. But alas.

• 2 months later...

So the DVD is out today, I picked it up, great features in my opinion. Commentary from the director, 3 alternate endings of course, the ending they went with gave some closure.

Also a brief sum up of how and why they gave birth to the Cloverfield monster.

Not a bad DVD. It'd be a better viewing for me if I could of had my surround up watching it with some friends.

I may bring it with me to cali when I see my friend, she LOVES monster movies and is a big gojira fan...I told her it's a mix of Blairwitch and Gojira and she flipped thinking it sounded cool....ya sheltered life.

By the way, I DID see that segment at the end of something crashing into the water. Now that I could actually stop and look around in the end...that was interesting I wonder why no one else picked up on that, espically the cruise ship that was close to that area.

So the DVD is out today, I picked it up, great features in my opinion. Commentary from the director, 3 alternate endings of course, the ending they went with gave some closure.

Also a brief sum up of how and why they gave birth to the Cloverfield monster.

Not a bad DVD. It'd be a better viewing for me if I could of had my surround up watching it with some friends.

I may bring it with me to cali when I see my friend, she LOVES monster movies and is a big gojira fan...I told her it's a mix of Blairwitch and Gojira and she flipped thinking it sounded cool....ya sheltered life.

By the way, I DID see that segment at the end of something crashing into the water. Now that I could actually stop and look around in the end...that was interesting I wonder why no one else picked up on that, espically the cruise ship that was close to that area.

Probably thought it was blue ice :lol: or some piece of space junk coming down.

It was all stuff to completely throw off internet researches. The staff mentions many times that no one is allowed too tell anyone what they were filming and they didn't give much information to cast members either. For instance one of the staff members tells the extras for the liberty head scene just before it falls that they hear a loud "SKRAW!" and when they hear her shout "SKRAW!" they are to freak out and scatter cause something will be falling close to them.

Or the code names such as "1.18.08" "Cloverfield", "Cheese" stupid stuff like that. But soon enough someone out watching would leak, see it's JJ out there filming and put 2 and 2 together and go "OH! It's that movie!".

I think I got a better understanding about the movie now then what i did when I saw it. But still, you gotta have the right ambience to play this movie and really get into it.

Does the DVD contain any of the viral marketing stuff? Like anything about the various websites, or the "news" videos that were uploaded to YouTube?

All of the viral stuff is hidden on the dvd.

If you go to the scene selection, go the the last section for chapters 12-16, and just wait there for like 2 minutes, a 17th scene will appear and you can find all the viral videos. Didn't really see anything new.

Also, on the setup menu, click to the left or right at one point and there will be a helicopter appearing over the Statue of Liberty. Click it to see a little video they made of the cast and crew.

Fine, somethings are alot easier to pick out and understand. You also see hints that there could be a sequel since there's another guy who Hud comes into contact with who's also holding a video camera.

Sound quality wise, damn it'd be nice if I could play it on my surround sound without waking people up.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally caught this movie on DVD last night ... pretty good overall. A unique perspective on making a monster movie, with semi-realistic characters. Although, some closure on what happened with the monster at the end would have been nice.

And the "alternate endings" on the DVD were lame IMHO.

Finally caught this movie on DVD last night ... pretty good overall. A unique perspective on making a monster movie, with semi-realistic characters. Although, some closure on what happened with the monster at the end would have been nice.

And the "alternate endings" on the DVD were lame IMHO.

Yeah, those alternate endings weren't even worth including on the DVD.

I didn't see this film until the other night, and this has probably been discussed but I don't have the time to read through the whole thread - when they are in the helecoptor and it looks as if they are going to escape, why are they going so slow? Wouldn't a chopper be able to zip out of there pretty quickly, especially when they're on the escape and trying to be evasive? It was like they were taking a leisure cruise over the city in a hot air balloon when the creature snatched them out of the sky. And wouldn't they have been up too hight for the creature to just bite at them?

I also thought it was rather questionable that Beth's arm and shoulder appeared fully functional so shortly after being impaled.

Entertaining enough film overall, but it's no Gojira. :)

I just saw it as well and thought it was pretty good. It was nowhere near as "deep" and "relevant" as it appeared to be trying to be ("The Host" managed to be MUCH more profound without making as big a fuss about it), but as just a movie about a giant monster knocking down New York, I thought it was creepy, exciting, and pretty cool. I think it ripped off The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms more than it did Gojira, but either way, it did it pretty well.

I also thought the way they fit the flashbacks in was quite innovative. And that, more than anything else, really sold me on the movie.

• 6 months later...