1/18/08 Cloverfield

So if my wife get motion sickness from blair witch will she from cloverfield? Is the shakeycam any better? Thanks....I'm trying to talk her into going.

Probably. The shaky-cam is pulled off the great effect, but it obviously could be a negative if you have a weak stomach. If you do convince her to go, try and sit as far back as possible, so that she can have a frame of reference outside the screen.

Oh man, just saw it tonight with a few friends, and we loved it! We went to an early showing tho, so it was Junior-High night out sadly, so the whole goddamn theater was fully of chatty whiny 16-yr-olds... I think my 3 friends and I were the only people in the theater to like it tho... but we discussed what had happened and what we thought the whole way home, and really thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for shakey-cam concerns, I've never seen Blair-Witch, so I cannot compare, but there weren't too many fast moving camera scenes in this, altho there were some looking-at-feet while moving parts, so I guess it is probably enough to be a concern... I've never gotten motion-sick in my life tho, so again, I cannot really compare...

While I very much enjoyed the movie, I could not STAND the camera. I can do anything including riding the gravatron upside down but this movie made me sick as all hell. At least a dozen people got up and left 15-20 minutes into it.

Give it a 4/5.

Could have done with less dry party moments and some more steady handed shots but overall a great movie.

The Star Trek preview was also something that gave me goose bumps.

You might be taking a chance is your wife get motion sickness, its pretty shakey, why couldn't this smovie been filmed normal or split the way it was filmed it would be so much better. Even before any action starts the pic is moving all around, I watch home videos and they arent as bouncy as these guys were filming.

I went and saw it I liked it. My Brother liked it .

The issue about not liking it so far is that the camera moves.

Bid deal? I don't think so.

the characters are like-able they're not stupid. they act like everyday people

Given the events that occur and how each character is presented to us they have a

decent background.

its worth seeing .

edit: maybe you should just catch an early show and not pay full price

but check it out

Edited by Macross73

Good not great. The camera angle was a bit annoying at times and then really effective and cool other times. My eyes felt like they were splitting apart lol. Good characters. Some funny lines.

The monster was really generic. Looked like a combination of other monsters from other movies/videogames

Not worth more than 5.00 though.

For those who havent seen it or have but missed it and want to see it again. Look to the right of Beths head in the final cony island cut when you can see the ocean behind her. Something happens to the right of her head that tells of how the monster came to be. . Im trying to not be specific and spoil it but if you blink you WILL miss it.

For those who havent seen it or have but missed it and want to see it again. Look to the right of Beths head in the final cony island cut when you can see the ocean behind her. Something happens to the right of her head that tells of how the monster came to be. . Im trying to not be specific and spoil it but if you blink you WILL miss it.

PLEASE TELL US ON HOW IT CAME TO BE, PLEASE .

Go watch the movie and find out. :D I have given you the hint. If you see what i am talking about in the context of the film alot of things will click into place.

also why are you yelling all the time. Caps and lots of bold letters implies yelling in this case

Go watch the movie and find out. :D I have given you the hint. If you see what i am talking about in the context of the film alot of things will click into place.

also why are you yelling all the time. Caps and lots of bold letters implies yelling in this case

I've been to the theater and seen it. Twice.

Please tell me what you see. PM me if you could. I'm not going a third time, but I completely missed that.

Ill post it publically. It isnt something easily seen if one isnt looking right. It wont give away events of the film either. Doesnt say who dies or who lives or any such.

Remember how the movie is intercut with the Coney Island footage that Rob took a month before the end of the film? They "film"was taped over it but there were gaps.

Well at the very end after all the big booms and such and they cut back to Beth on the ferris wheel and the ocean in the background. On the right side of the screen you see something falling from top right corner to land in the ocean next to Beths head. This wasnt a bird it was too far off shore. Rob had recorded the "impact" of the creature in whatever form a month before anything happened.

Edited by HWR MKII

Ill post it publically. It isnt something easily seen if one isnt looking right. It wont give away events of the film either. Doesnt say who dies or who lives or any such.

Remember how the movie is intercut with the Coney Island footage that Rob took a month before the end of the film? They "film"was taped over it but there were gaps.

Well at the very end after all the big booms and such and they cut back to Beth on the ferris wheel and the ocean in the background. On the right side of the screen you see something falling from top right corner to land in the ocean next to Beths head. This wasnt a bird it was too far off shore. Rob had recorded the "impact" of the creature in whatever form a month before anything happened.

Interesting. The viral marketing made it seem like it was something they found while deep sea oil drilling.

JJ Abrams has said the viral marketing stories go along side the movie but the movie is intended to stand alone. The viral marketing was more for awareness and misdirection.

Its understandable too. im tired of going to movies only to know all the littledetails because they have been previewed on the news and plastered all over the internet. Not knowing a thing made this movie much more enjoyable on its own merits.

Just to add my own two cents on the motion sickness. I got really ill watching Blair Witch but this I was okay. The shaky cam bugged me a lot for the first 15 minutes or so but after that I was fine.

Have to say I really liked the movie. I currently live in Brooklyn New York and was happy to see a very real portrayal of New York City rather than a glorified shiny version that we usually see in films. Made the whole thing much more scary for me.

JJ Abrams has said the viral marketing stories go along side the movie but the movie is intended to stand alone. The viral marketing was more for awareness and misdirection.

Its understandable too. im tired of going to movies only to know all the littledetails because they have been previewed on the news and plastered all over the internet. Not knowing a thing made this movie much more enjoyable on its own merits.

Agree completely and thanks much for the info. I checked a couple sites and read some other stuff that's pretty cool in retrospect.

Just to add my own two cents on the motion sickness. I got really ill watching Blair Witch but this I was okay. The shaky cam bugged me a lot for the first 15 minutes or so but after that I was fine.

Have to say I really liked the movie. I currently live in Brooklyn New York and was happy to see a very real portrayal of New York City rather than a glorified shiny version that we usually see in films. Made the whole thing much more scary for me.

Agreed as well. I have family in jersey and have visited NY many times. This movie portrayed the city well. At least before the first big boom that is.

sorry man about the caps, as for going out and watching the movie I simply cant, I dont want it where it was like war of the worlds and I was standing up yelling "where the hell are the mechas to fight the aliens, I demand a mecha". And when tom does end up killing the alien, it was by shear luck by sticking a frag up the aliens buthole.

I am sorry I guess I was never one of those guys that could watch a monster just tear mankind apart, and see no retaliation with some kind of eye candy too. al watch cloverfeild when it comes out to dvd or when I can download it ;)

Edited by deadghost

I looked around, but I didn't see anything. only thing I could notice was a lil rocket or something like that on top of a building.

I thought it was a fairly odd movie....it has it's moments of being so real its freaky, but yet being so damn cheesy I felt bored. Nothing scared me, nothing really interested me during the whole film until....well, near the end of the film.

nah, it's there. Right before the movie ends, behind Beth's face there's a quick splash in the ocean.

I've never been to manhattan.. so I have no idea how big the island is.... but that monster seemed to spend an awful amount of time around wherever Beth was.

Pros and Cons :

Pros : Its a PROPER MOVIE MONSTER! Yes, no Namby Pamby 'Zilla (that wimpy lizard from the Hollywood 'Godzilla') who gets punked by a couple of missiles. This bad 'mofo gets clobbered by rifles, AT weapons, tank cannons and the USAF but keeps on mowing!

Cons : That damn handheld POV. Made me sick. The limited POV also stops the military hardware fetish from getting to see better angles of all that military hardware flailing uselessly at the monster (like those Japanese Godzilla films).

The characters are nothing really worth remembering but hey, its a Monster movie!

Edit:

Oh, and whats this I see on Wiki?

Manga adaptation

A four installment manga series by Yoshiki Togawa titled Cloverfield/Kishin (クローバーフィールド/KISHIN, Kurōbāfīrudo/KISHIN?) is being released by Japanese publisher Kadokawa Shoten.[30] The story focuses on a Japanese high school student named Kishin and will be a prequel to the film.[31]

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

Yeah, off topic mode (in regards to the two previous post): How about twins (1 male/1 female), at the age of 8yrs old, w/power beyond that of mortal man, able to leap tall buildings, faster than a speeding bullet, has a giant robot - controlled w/a watch that looks like a green lion, the other is in the form of cute child w/a BIG BFG, and both own a power ring, one must yell Heeeello Nurse (instead of Shazam) to activate the boys power and Kawaii for the girl.

In topic mode:

I will probably wait for rental release at the local vid store or PPV... I will probably get motion sicknes. I do want to know... (probably already posted, just don't feel like reading pages of post), what is that creature they are trying to run away from, you can PM me for spoiler pictures (if available), it's not going to ruin the film for me.

Edited by Dangaioh

Pros : Its a PROPER MOVIE MONSTER! Yes, no Namby Pamby 'Zilla (that wimpy lizard from the Hollywood 'Godzilla') who gets punked by a couple of missiles. This bad 'mofo gets clobbered by rifles, AT weapons, tank cannons and the USAF but keeps on mowing!

The ONLY reason I want to see this! Big arse monster terrorizing a city with humans in it. It's been YEARS since HW had a remotely decent monster movie that didn't give away "the magic moment" or "the big reveal" during it's teasers.

Saw it last night, and I loved it. It's really, really short, but mainly because it discards all that "Roland Emmerich" preamble b.s. that we've all grown accustomed to. (His version of Cloverfield would have clocked in at 2:45, and not even had the monster attack until well past the 90 minute mark.) Instead, we get a brief intro the the characters, just sketching them in enough to carry us through the following 75 minutes then BAM the fit hits the shan and it's all "oh my god did you see that RUN RUN RUN! we can't go back! Jump! There's nothing more you can do for her now! oh noes, Hud!" until the credits roll. It's not a character piece, or a rom-com, or a contemplative look at man & science vs nature. Its a visceral thrill ride that puts you in the shoes of one of the poor sods running through the streets in the old Toho films, shouting "Oh no, Gojira!"

Incidentally, anybody who'd say "Meh,....rent it or download it later" is only robbing themselves of seeing it on the big screen. Get yourselves a flyer route to score the $9.00 admission, because even the largest plasma screen won't have the impact of seeing it in the theater.

And I can only hope that "Roar!" The Overture from Cloverfield gets released as a single at some point. It's the only music in the film, and it's a wonderful omage to the old 50's sci fi scores, minus the cheese.

I saw it again the second day but didnt get to enjoy it as much cuz I was too close to the screen. Bobepatt, that idiot, convinced us to change seats in order to get "better" ones. There's like seven of us, how do we get better seats. Plus they didnt want to stay for the overture, but for some reason they wanted to chat outside for an hour in the freezing cold... Baka! I'll prolly see it again during the day and get good seats then.

Incidentally, anybody who'd say "Meh,....rent it or download it later" is only robbing themselves of seeing it on the big screen. Get yourselves a flyer route to score the $9.00 admission, because even the largest plasma screen won't have the impact of seeing it in the theater.

Very true. This movie will lose a lot when moved to the small screen.

Just go to the 5.00 screening like I did lol