1/18/08 Cloverfield

the rumors are it will be a giant monster movie, but I don't know if it's going to be godzilla. Supposedly, the monster is being called the "parasite" internally.

The interesting thing about the movie is that the whole thing is going to be like the trailer, shot from POV of the characters with hand held cameras.

I got to say I'm pretty stoked about this one.

I wonder if it will actually be about Cthulhu. That would be pretty boss, I think. Especially being filmed from the perspective of all the people who are getting screwed by his awakening.

and: http://ethanhaaswaswrong.com/ which does not seem to be a marketing site for the movie, but a hate site. which is all the same, kind of amusing.

That site is apparently based on this site, which is another part of the whole viral marketing shebang:

http://ethanhaaswaswrong.blogspot.com/2007/07/blog-post.html

:huh:

okay, I took the bait, went to the link, and the only way I could sum up my response to the site it took me to would go like:

what the f!@#$% h^#@ was that $#@?! are you ^&*(^% kidding me? ^%$#, @#$! s@#$!%^& j#$!@ c^&*% m^&*%$#@!*&^ this is the best !@#$%! g&*^% you %^&*@ movie making #$%!@&*^ can come up with? and who the f@#$ is this $%#$^in "Ethan Haas" a#$%^&* and why the f@#$ should i give a *&^#@ f#@! what he f*&^%$ says?

annoying, and pointless.

seriously though. is there any particular reason the average movie-goer should give a crap that the apparently cryptic rantings of some sci-fi writer is being made into some jumbled home-movie Blair Witch style flick, only shi**ier?

LOL, wasn't this Cthulhu a Metallica song, or something? <_<

Wait they are finally going to make a big screen Cthulhu movie, and it will be Blair Witch style, give me an F'n break, Blair Witch was the biggest steaming pile I ever saw, and the Great Dread Cthulhu deserves much better.

Let's at least remember why Blair Witch sucked. Less than halfway through the movie you wanted the characters to die a gruesome death because they were all so stupid and annoying. I doubt this a Cthulhu movie though. Kinda funny, there seems to be a lot of people who think this is a Godzilla movie. There were also a lot of people claiming it's a Voltron movie, but I'm pretty certain most of them are joking. I hope all of them were joking, but it's kinda hard to tell with people.

Why would Voltron be in present day NYC?

Given what we know about Hollywood remakes, why WOULDN'T Voltron be in present day NYC? My guess is that it's a new monster movie not based on any known franchise, though I will say that the noise sounded an awful lot like Godzilla, as some of you guys have said. Only time will tell.

According to a letter sent to AICN by JJ Abrams the only legitamate site found is the 1-18-08.com site. he did say there other sites out the but we have not found them yet

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33261

JJ Abrams drops Harry a Line on all this 1-18-08 stuff!

Hey folks, Harry here... There's conspiracy theories abounding regarding JJ's little flick to juice us up for his badass STAR TREK recreation. So JJ Abrams wrote me to give us all a clue, cuz we're at square one of this mystery! But note... the game sites apparently have nothing to do with JJ. And also... he seems to be stating that you guys have yet to find all the sites he's put up... and yes, you'll have to find them. The man is laughing at you, me and all of those hiding in the shadows. SO... find em if you can... let us know here at AICN... seems we have a scavanger hunt, ain't it cool?

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your support of our little movie. I can't wait to talk to you more about it -- of course, knowing you, by the time we talk you'll know more than I will.

Regarding the online stuff you posted: yeah, we're doing some fun stuff on the web. But, obviously, if the movie doesn't kick some massive ASS, who gives a rat's about what's online? So as you can imagine, we're focusing mostly on THAT. For what it's worth, the only site of ours that people have even FOUND is the 1-18-08.com site. The others (like the Ethan Haas sites) have nothing to do with us.

Stay cool the rest of the summer -- and thanks per usual for AICN!

JJ

Given what we know about Hollywood remakes, why WOULDN'T Voltron be in present day NYC? My guess is that it's a new monster movie not based on any known franchise, though I will say that the noise sounded an awful lot like Godzilla, as some of you guys have said. Only time will tell.

According to a letter sent to AICN by JJ Abrams the only legitamate site found is the 1-18-08.com site. he did say there other sites out the but we have not found them yet

Yet Paramount did remove the 'Ethan Hass Was Right' videos from Youtube.

Okay, in light of recent posts/threads, it seems that this mysterious trailer is for "Voltron"? WTF? Okay, just wikipedia'd "GoLion" to get some background info, since I'm only familiar with the Americanized ver. And guess what? Surprise, surprise---neither f'ing show has any f'ing thing to do with f'ing post-apocolyptic NYC! or Earth at all--directly--for that matter.

I realize the subject matter--Voltron, vintage 80's cartoon cheesyness at its best--ain't exactly poet-lauriate material to use as your source matter. I also realize Hollywood is really all about the recycling business; given enough time, you'll inevitably see revamped versions of the same old movies/plots over and over every dozen or so years--it's cyclical.

But dayum, it seems that it's not even about recycling any more. You can't even call this plagiarism. It's just degenerated to a bunch of hacks, "standing on the shoulders of giants." They take already established works/properties, and pimp them to peddle their own [usually] totally unrelated crap.

i don't see how anyone can make any claims about "knowing" what this is about.

it could be a fugging ULTRAMAN movie for all we know.

maybe this is a teaser for DRAGON BALL Z the movie.

perhaps it's a full sized zentradi landing on earth and causing a ruccus before the macross movie is announced.

maybe it's a big budget TREMORS.

basically ANYTHING featuring big monsters/explosions could fit the bill at this point.

i wonder if it could be voltron, supposedly this review of early script: http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=65

it talks about what the early script of voltron is, and actually does take place in NY, as some drule empire takes over the world in the ONE DAY WAR, and the world is all destroyed and such.

If it was a trailer for voltron, people saying that it wasnt voltron that was attacking. But maybe it was a ROBEAST, there alive, fleshy, and monsters, and they probably the ones attacking NY. Well just throwing out some ideas. Also seems kinda too conicidence if they are talking about Going to JAPAN... it has to be something japanese made...

i wonder if it could be voltron, supposedly this review of early script: http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=65

it talks about what the early script of voltron is, and actually does take place in NY, as some drule empire takes over the world in the ONE DAY WAR, and the world is all destroyed and such.

If it was a trailer for voltron, people saying that it wasnt voltron that was attacking. But maybe it was a ROBEAST, there alive, fleshy, and monsters, and they probably the ones attacking NY. Well just throwing out some ideas. Also seems kinda too conicidence if they are talking about Going to JAPAN... it has to be something japanese made...

like a honda?

If you listen, you can hear a guy yell "I saw it, it was a giant lion" or something very close to that. I didn't hear it the first time, but I did the second time. I still don't think it is Voltron at all (I vote for the "parasite" explanation).

If you listen, you can hear a guy yell "I saw it, it was a giant lion" or something very close to that. I didn't hear it the first time, but I did the second time. I still don't think it is Voltron at all (I vote for the "parasite" explanation).

oooh, that's right... they do say that in the trailer. I'm still hoping for giant hell demon and not giant hell demon that fights robot lions.

IMHO, if the average person saw one of the lions, "it's a giant lion" wouldn't be their first impression. They'd probably scream "giant robot animal!". They MIGHT notice it was feline, and almost certainly wouldn't pick up that it was a lion--especially since they're all (IMHO) lionesses, and thus no mane---the most distinctive feature of a lion. (Honestly, with how Voltron is---how could you tell if it was supposed to be Bengal tigers, pumas, or leopards?)