1/18/08 Cloverfield

Still yet to see the first one..........LOL!

Cloverfield was terrible (not a fan of found footage stuff..) but this looks kinda interesting! And I have a huge soft spot (or hard :p) for Mary Elizabeth Winstead! :D

But is it actually a Cloverfield sequel??

Edited by spanner76

Say what you want, Cloverfield is my favorite Giant Monster movie.

The new trailer looks interesting, this can go in any direction...

IMDB says: "Waking up from a car accident, a young woman finds herself in the basement of a man who says he's saved her life from a chemical attack that has left the outside uninhabitable."

IMDB says: "Waking up from a car accident, a young woman finds herself in the basement of a man who says he's saved her life from a chemical attack that has left the outside uninhabitable."

that's exactly the plot of an episode of Metal Hurlant Chronicles, almost word for word the same. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2105647/

I enjoyed Cloverfield but this trailer is typical JJ Abrams 'less is more' shenanigans. I remember people speculating the original Cloverfield trailer had something to do with Voltron.

Yeah people that watched the first films trailer swore they heard "It's a lion!" when the guy clearly said "It's alive!" in reference to the monster.

Yeah, I thought the first one was ok. Not horrible, not great either. My ambivalence has more to do with how annoying some of the main characters where vs. the giant-monster action.

And I love Ramona Flowers so I'm in for at least 1 viewing.

-b.

that's exactly the plot of an episode of Metal Hurlant Chronicles, almost word for word the same. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2105647/

That's exactly what I thought, with James Marsters, nice but not the best episode though. It was a fun series overall with a few moments of greatness.

Cloverfield was very enjoyable so I'm definitely in for this one. Also the fact that it's not another found footage is definitely a plus

Edited by Frogze

Guest davidwhangchoi

how are they going to surprise us this time which was a major part of the buzz for the first one.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I think if they hadn't used the found footage method or at least only made it part of the film then it would have been better. But its hard to make a found footage movie seem truly realistic as they try and push that element way too far and it never fully works. Yes some have worked better than others I find the typical shaky footage becomes fatiguing after a while. Besides how much video recording is someone in a critical life and death situation going to be continuously be recording?? I think you'd be more focused on staying alive instead.

Cloverfield was by no means a Perfect movie (That goes without saying) yet it does have some pretty damn cool moments/scenes to it that make it worth the watch. I've always felt the movie would have played better as a News Crew caught in the city and trying there best to escape vs. I have to save my Ex from a Monster.

This trailer..... Hmmmm, it's got my attention.

@spanner "And I have a huge soft spot (or hard :p) for Mary Elizabeth Winstead! :D" I agree!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been reading the Reddit thread about this movie since I don't give a crap about spoilers for it and yeah......don't expect the same type of movie Cloverfield was. Budget was puny so don't expect a lot of effects or cgi. Original story wasn't a Cloverfield story but was reworked into one.

https://www.inverse.com/article/12373-how-10-cloverfield-lane-began-as-a-totally-different-movie

Abrahms might be hoping to start a movie franchise using the Cloverfield name. I just know I'm waiting for reviews first before watching this one.

"Worth Watching and Buying on Blu-ray"

"A"

"3.75 and 3.25 out of 5 Schmoes"

"Best Movie Ever"

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 92% - "Smart, solidly crafted, and palpably tense, 10 Cloverfield Lane makes the most of its confined setting and outstanding cast -- and suggests a new frontier for franchise filmmaking."

Metacritic Score: 77 out of 100

Edited by areaseven

Took myself to see this today. It is very suspenseful. John Goodman is pure gold and the Mary Elizabeth Winstead is very good as well. I now have a new crush. :wub: The director definitely gets the job done for a first feature length film. Don't go in expecting a sequel to Cloverfield. It ain't. :ph34r:

Saw it today with my wife; we both enjoyed it. John Goodman was great, and my hat's off to the writers, director, and Mary Winstead for creating a realistic strong, intelligent female protagonist, esp in a film of this genre, where they are generally helpless and make poor decisions. I enjoyed how the movie maintains its tension throughout, punctuated by a few humorous moments. Good movie.

I'm not a doomsday planner by any means, but that bunker is pure awesome. :wub:

Edited by M'Kyuun

So does this film have anything to do with the previous cloverfield movie? I was thinking the characters are locked in that bunker because of what happened in the first film?

Not reeeeaaally...but I guess you might call it a distant cousin of the first movie...maaaaybe...can't really say anymore without spoiling. :ph34r: