Problems staying logged in?

Anyone having particular problems staying logged in, even though you have set the forums to remember you? I'm running Firefox both at work and at home, and between refresh or clicks I'll get logged out (shows up as Guest) and have to relogin.

Even relogin may not work -- the system will tell me I'm logged in but then on redirect I become logged out.

Tried clearing the MW cookie, restarted Firefox, but still hitting the problem. It's not likely to be PC related, nor likely to be my (anal) work network, though it could be my ISP, but just want to check if anyone else is experiencing this.

Have you tried to manually clear your browser's cache and cookies?

If that's not it, have you looked at the opposite and see if you are not deleting your cookies each time you close your browser?

I'm having the same problem. It seems VERY likely that it a direct result of the new version of IPB. Before the upgrade, I could stay logged into MW forever. I NEVER had to re-login, but I always had to re-login at Macross Nexus. Now that MW is on the same version of IPB, I am experiencing the same issues on both sites

Edited by mister_e

Okay, what exactly is happening?

Please fill out this form:

• Were you logged out in the middle of a session?
  • How long was the duration between logins?
  • Did you access MW from another computer between logins?
  • Have you cleared your cookies?
  • No. Really. Have you cleared your cookies?
  • How did you clear your cookies (via browser controls or via link on these forums, etc.)?
  • Have you cleared your "cache" or "temporary internet files" lately? If not, please do so.
  • What browser are you using (please provide version via Help-->About)?
  • Who is your ISP?
Personally, I've had no problems staying logged in ever since the cookies were fixed a week or two ago. The most likely solution is clearing of cookies. But I'm guessing some here have already tried that.

• Was logged out in the middle of MANY sessions.
  • Depends. Can be immediate (first login says ok then after redirection, you're logged out again), or in some cases longer. Stability rarely lasts longer than an hour, but recently has became better.
  • Yes, but two machines only. But bear in mind my country's ISP is limited so IPs might be repeated.
  • Yes, cookies cleared.
  • YES, cookies cleared. Multiple times.
  • Browser utils.
  • Ick. MW isn't my be-all, end-all. Clearing my cache is inconvenient for me as a user, due to usage of other sites -- suggesting this isn't a good solution, really. As it is, I didn't dump all my cookies, because of my other sites. I do have two IPB forums on regular visits and both had been giving problems, so I dumped the cookies for both. Seems to be working a lot better -- so it might be a problem with IPB cookies only, and for a certain version only.
  • Firefox 1.5.0.12 at home, will give work info later but also Firefox, pre 2.0.
  • Uh, kinda private.. but those with admin rights who can see my IP would know. But I can say my ISP, because of geographical (in)significance, don't have a broad range of IP assigned to it.

• Uh, kinda private.. but those with admin rights who can see my IP would know. But I can say my ISP, because of geographical (in)significance, don't have a broad range of IP assigned to it.

I could see where this might seem private. But there has been a known issue with a couple of ISPs (AOL especially) that changes your IP randomly several times per day. This has wreaked havoc with IPB logins in the past.

And really, I doubt we'll be able to hunt you down via you saying: "I'm on Comcast" or Cox, or AOL. But, yeah, I understand the caution. I'm the same way myself. ^_^

Just grasping at straws here, but try opening a command prompt and typing:

ipconfig /flushdns

I wonder if this is residual entries for "www.macrossworld.com" (note that we're now www-free) in your local DNS cache. If so, that should fix it.

Best,

H

This happens every time there's an upgrade on a message board...

If I recall, what works for me is to clear my cache(but not cookies), THEN visit the forum and log in.

May need to delete the MW cookies, but just those should do it.

I really need to sort it out again, as I'm getting booted between sessions.

Yes, clearing cache is probably necessary. Most broadband people won't even notice much of a difference after they clear their cache. But if some aren't willing to tolerate slower download times for a little while on their other sites, I'm not sure what can be done. ^_^

Also, everyone should take note that the URL for the forums have changed. There is no more WWW. Please delete and update your bookmarks and quicklinks. If you log in at the www one and then are redirected, that may account for being logged out.

H

Also, everyone should take note that the URL for the forums have changed. There is no more WWW. Please delete and update your bookmarks and quicklinks. If you log in at the www one and then are redirected, that may account for being logged out.

H

after updating to the new URL, no more problem for me.

my apologies. problem still exist for me. why i previously replied there's no problem was due to this:

I was on leave the past few days and I brought my office notebook home. so i was actually using 2 different computers to log into MW with the same internet connection. I didn't have this problem anymore so I thought it was solved.

anyway, today back in the office, I was asked to log in again. now back home, i was also asked to log in again.

So Hurin, to answer your questions:

1) No. Was not log out in the middle of a session.

2) about 8 hours

3) yes. home PC and office notebook.

4) yes.

5) YES. cache + temp files (and now i have to re-login to my so many other websites, so please don't ask me to try this again)

6) via browser control & also manually going to "local setting\temporary internet files" folder and delete everything

7) yes. see above.

8) IE 6.0.2900.2180

9) Singtel (doubt you had heard of it)

i just tried the ipconfig /flushdns command. let's see if the problem still exists tomorrow.

Edited by jonwayne

• 2 weeks later...
9) Singtel (doubt you and heard of it)

Well, I heard of it (and using it daily...).

Anyway, my home laptop, not really an issue anymore -- just once a day, it tends to stay logged in. I'm ok with that. I suppose it might be my ISP acting up.

My work PC is horrendous. Every few minutes. I suppose our internet gateway, anti-virus and all that plays merry havoc on the settings...

I just want to say how much I hate COMCAST again. Their suck DNS server had me rebooting my router every hour or so... not just to get here but to get to other small, lesser known sites, like www.google.com.

Try using OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com/) in place of Comcast's DNS. You might have better luck with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've figured it out!

The MacrossWorld forums have changed address in the last update. From Hurin in "MW News and Site Info" forum:

Make sure your saved bookmarks aren't references www. That's now defunct and the forums now think they're just at: http://macrossworld.com.

So, you may need to just delete your old bookmarks and recreate them.

Now, Hurin was discussing this in relation to a problem that prevents login from taking upon each visit. However, this should also work for those who have no login problems, but other board features are not functioning the way they should (like the PM notification window).

So, what you have to do is:

• Log out of the forums
  • Delete your cookies/cache
  • Delete the Macross World FORUMS bookmark from your browser(s)
  • Close your browser and start back up.
  • Go to the Macross World MAIN PAGE and visit the forums by clicking the link
  • THIS NEXT STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU HAVENT CLEARED YOUR TEMP FILES: click on the Macross World Forums (third line from the top left of the page) to reload the main forum index and watch the address bar in your browser. It should change from www.macrossworld to just http://macrossworld.com
The forums should now function normally. You should remain logged in and more importantly, the message box for Private Messages should function like it's supposed to. I received my first PM yesterday after attempting this fix and it worked. :) Edited by Mr March

Yes, clearing cache is probably necessary. Most broadband people won't even notice much of a difference after they clear their cache. But if some aren't willing to tolerate slower download times for a little while on their other sites, I'm not sure what can be done. ^_^

H

July 11. :p And it was in bold back then too. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

In the past, I've had problems staying logged in after every few days where I have to put the password again eventhough I've checked the "rememebr me" during log in. However, in the past few days, I have to log in for several times a day. I wonder if anyone else has this problem as well.

To answer the questions:

I've never been logged out in the middle of the session.

I usually browse for several minutes in 1 session

I'm not sure if I log in with 2 computers at the same time, although I do have 2 computers, one with XP, and the other with Vista Business. Both have this problem.

I usually clear my cookies every week. I think everytime I've cleared it, I'll have to relog in. I use CCleaner to clear my cookies.

I have IE set to clear temporary internet files everytime I close the browser. Could this be the problem?

I use IE7

I use Charter for my ISP at home, and the school's network. The computer running XP is always connected through Charter, whereas the laptop running Vista switches between Charter or the school's network.

Thanks