Harmony Gold having troubles?

I haven't been able to find it yet, but Khyron Prime admitted ahead of time that he was going to pull this stunt off. Again, further putting himself in a hole.

When they find him, arrest him immediately and show no mercy. I have no love for or regard for HG, but really...there is no call for this kind of assault on a person, over a cartoon. It's like those idiots who pie politicians because they dislike theor policies or the animal rights people who throw fake blood on people wearing fur coats. It crosses a line that doesn't need to be crossed. I'm glad that Tommy Yune is being such a good sport about it but he still needs to prosecute this Tom Cruise to the fullest extent of the law. There is no excuse for this.

EDIT IN What? Now I can't even say "Tom Cruise?" If Matlock, Jack Benny (in the '30s, no less) and a rather dimwitted MTV "reality" series can use "Tom Cruise" with impunity... ^_^ And what if I were talking about the animal of the same name? Though, I must admit Tom Cruise IS one anyway... :lol::rolleyes:

Edited by Pat Payne

According to the Boston chief of police, if the alleged pie had been a bomb, it could have certainly taken out 5 city blocks. 10 city blocks if the bomb had been Apple or French Silk. Mmm. Pie.

Edited by Radd

I never actually comment that much on these kind of threads but I find all of this rather disturbing.

After reading this guy´s log on the first link I inmediatly got the impression he had some kind of mental disorder, he just talked too seriously about the whole thing, it wasn´t just normal fanboy bla bla bla, it was scary.

having said that, I think people are just being a bit paranoid about this, I mean ¨AIDS infested cream pies¨ ? WTF ?

This was just an act of childish behaviour, a POTENTIALLY dangerous one, but just that, it wasn´t a terrorist attack unless you can find proof that Man Faye was featured in this video.

This is the kind of sh%t that differentiates RT fans from macross fans, they have no love over there and without love stupid lunatics like this one start to appear. I´m proud to say I could never imagine a MW member doing this kind of stuff to someone from BW or Studio Nue, specially not Kawamori-sama...not unless he fu#ked up the new tv series with more of his tree-hugging stuff anyway :lol: just joking ^_^

This just in, this just in, much ado about nothing!

Wow, I feel bad about the money I've wasted on toys for these animes... I can't imagine how low my self-image would be if I took it ot the stage of toting cream pies....

:ph34r: who ever could that be?

oh and about this kid KP I dont care. the whole LOOK at ME I NEED ATTENTION isnt working.

he does this for all the Robotech fans, Yeah man good for you Wow "I hit a guy with a pie and then

got the same back. and then its Photo Op time. Whatever in the end who cares big deal.

Besides all of the obvious, how do we go from a pie in the face to "what if it was semen or a gun!" It was a stupid stunt, but geezus, he didn't kill anybody.

The point is, how is Tommy suppose to know what was in that "pie"? In this sick day and age, you really don't know. And with the mindset shown in Khyron's journal and video, is it really a stretch that he may take that next step of really trying to hurt someone?

And as for Tommy's reaction, what in the hell was he suppose to do especially since he was caught by surprise like that and while being taped? This is a testimony to his own character.

As someone who actually has met Tommy Yune in the last few years, seeing this kind of lack of respect for him and this kind of form of assault really chaps me.

Some moron pulled a silly stunt and pied this comic book guy in the face. Everyone was smiles after it happened. The only drama I really see here is what I am seeing posted by a few drama queens.

I think a healthy assesment of what has happened and what will happen as a result, instead of speculation and dismissiveness towards what has happened, is in order.

Fact:

An individual brought concealed items into the convention, and succeeded in making a premeditated attack against a specific target.

Immediate effects:

the attacked VIP comes out looking extremely good

the attacker comes out looking extremely bad

the attacked VIP has a cleaning bill. Pending on what was used in the attack and what clothes were being worn, the cleaning bill could be in the thousands of dollars.*

the convention organizers look bad as their security was breached and a VIP guest of theirs is a victim of a premeditated attack.

Long-term effects:

With some thought, I came to the conclusion that the convention that the attack occured in will see the most drastic changes, whilst most every other similar convention will see lesser changes. Nevertheless, ALL similar conventions will be changed by this event.

the amount of items not permitted will be increased

baggage and body checks (or at least the scope of the checks) will be increased

security will be increased

the ticket price to attend the convention will go up to offset the costs of increased security

fans will have a tougher time to get close to the VIPs who attend conventions (or may have to pass through additional checks and security)

VIPs may become unwilling to attend such conventions, as we all know that fans don't specifically target the convention, but the VIPs in attendance.

In conclusion: costs will go up, security will increase, the hassle people must go through to get close to the VIPs will increase, and there will be less VIPs in attendence, or less of the "better" or more "demanded" VIPs in attendance.

So yes, I agree that the weapon used isn't that lethal, however the fact that such an action took place means that a motivated individual could bring much more harmful items into similar conventions. Not to mention that the attack resulted in damage (monetary.)

* Famous people tend to wear expensive designer goods. Some of them cost more than the average worker in a first world country makes in a year. This is not claiming that the VIP was wearing such items. However, given that the VIP would want to look his best, he'd probably be in something expensive. In other words, something that most likely doesn't react well to the substance used in the attack.

Edited by sketchley

This is the kind of sh%t that differentiates RT fans from macross fans, they have no love over there and without love stupid lunatics like this one start to appear.

I know you're joking, but still, I seem to remember a certain MWer that was perma-banned for stating, IIRC, he wished someone would send a letter full of anthrax to Harmony Gold's offices.

I may not like what Tommy Yune has done to my beloved Masters War characters, but this stunt was assault. It doesn't get any plainer than that. Do not think that those of us at RDF HQ condone this, Shadow Chronicles notwithstanding. Alot of us older members don't post on a daily basis and/or check the boards, so the whole weight of opinion at the board hasn't come out yet.

When I first read about it, I had thought it was a staged incident that got out of control.

Props to Tommy for keeping his cool because if that was me it would be a totally different scenario. I would called up my crew & rough dude up Notorious B.I.G./P. Diddy style! Gangsta!!! Does anybody have links to that video because it's gone.

According to the Boston chief of police, if the alleged pie had been a bomb, it could have certainly taken out 5 city blocks. 10 city blocks if the bomb had been Apple or French Silk. Mmm. Pie.

Robotech Fan-"You just took out Robotech's Tommy Yune with a Cream Pie!"

Khyron Prime-"Yeah... I was outta bullets."

I'm sorry, but HG staffers + disgruntled Robotech fan + pie = funny in my book. Sure it's assault, sure I wouldn't do it, but after years of suppsoed robotech fans calling Macross fans nuts for not liking robotech, for one of them to go assault one of their own is total comic irony.

Meh, some people really blew it out of proportion. Tommy even pied the guy back so they called it even... and took pictures with the guy. Wasn't like the guy pied him in front of an audience while Tommy was giving a presentation and ran for it.

Hence why I said the guy is just a d-bag who needs to get a life.

You've got my respect for figuring that one out. B))

I'm shrugging-off the countless insults thrown at me on this thread because, as it's been said on another Anime Expo thread, even people that come here all the time are willing to admit that Macross World forumers are generally jerks. It's part of the culture here, and I can appreciate that--I say my thing, you say your thing, no one really pays attention to each other's insights or gains something new in their minds, and at the end of the day, we're all friends. It's more like a gridiron football locker room than a senatorial floor (like many Robotech forums) and that's the flavour I've come to expect.

Yes, I did it. I'd like to think I explained everything quite succinctly in my three-day catalogue of thoughts. I wasn't afraid to bare by self or my ego to the world, and now I'm seeing that people quite enjoy dissecting it. Not many people, I can surmise, would be willing to openly admit everything that goes through their heads the way I have done, but this belief notwithstanding, it's certainly interesting to me to hear all the Robotech fans who really want change to happen ridicule this action when--as most Macross World supporters could likely attest--nothing really ever happens in Robotech because all that most Robotech fans do is sit-back and wait for stuff to happen. When bad stuff happens, they pretend that it's good; when good stuff happens...well, we're still kinda waiting for that.

It's this kind of denial that defines Robotech fandom and which I wished to change; I am not above admitting that perhaps I went-about things the wrong way. However, what is done is done, and unlike many others, I was not willing to deny that which I wished to see happen. Too many people utilise this tool called "the Internet" to spout-off and talk big, filled with bravado yet unwilling to back it up with real action, and though it could easily be called egotistical, my action was partially fueled by a belief that, if these perpetual-talkers saw that actual action still existed, they too would be willing to stop using the safety of sideline-commenting as a safety net to potential defeat when executing something in real life, and maybe something would change.

At the risk of sounding defensive: I'm not psychotic, as many people would enjoy judging me to be. What led to this was calculated and decided based (as all people's are) upon my own personal values and beliefs. If Harmony Gold doesn't give a damn about what a large portion of their fans have to say, then how do we get them to listen?--Talking some more obviously isn't an answer, as we've been doing that for years. Taking it to the source and speaking in-person isn't an answer, either, as Tommy Yune has shown in past meetings, for he seems to change his face depending upon how to better use the situation to make himself look good. While I can admire the man's skillfulness in continually pulling this off, it isn't a skill which is relative to being a skillful continuator of Robotech. As I noted in my text, I'm an artist, too, and artists should never have to answer to someone else's demands. However, Tommy Yune has willingly accepted the reins of the Robotech franchise and, while he is welcome to take it in his own direction (as Kawamori has done with Macross) his past works have been just-above-average at-best, and this is disconcerting to Robotech fans who love the series. Were he to have been willing to be humble and admit these shortcomings, there would have been hope for many that the next time would be better. Unfortunately, it was a five-year waste of time consumating in Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles.

What I did was stop the talking. Again, it may have been the wrong way to go about things, but when talking has not yielded a decent result in the past, what is the next step? People have pointed that I could have easily done something far worse, but again, I did not because I am neither sadistic nor malicious. All I intended to do was send a message via a different medium in the high (and perhaps misguided) hope that it would have a different response than everything before, and I followed through with the promise.

Sincerely yours,

Khyron_Prime/Kamjin 639

Sad that Tom is gone. Always liked him and it was clear he actually liked Robotech and cared about the franchise. Then again I'm sure he can do a LOT better then HG and hope he ends up doing something he enjoys and doesn't frustrate him.

Tommy on the other hand, I would have loved to have been there to see him get hit in the face. I didn't/don't care for him professionally, he was anything but, nor personally. If anyone deserves to be fired it's him and it should have happen long ago. The whole event doesn't make me have more respect for him, he lost that a long time ago. Don't wish him any life threatening harm or anything and I'm glad it was nothing more then a pie. Though can't be upset by him actually being attacked. Sorry.

What does annoy me is that it could ruin the convention for others in the future when it comes to what people can bring into it.

Edited by Effect

uhm, you just wrote a manifesto about a cartoon. that's just sad.

Then at least maybe all the people who claim to be "hardcore" fans can shut the hell up. B)) Hey, I'm not working to offend anybody, man, but if you're gonna throw stuff out which has no real contribution to the conversation, at least make it insightful instead of simplistic. Besides, it takes me something like eight minutes to write something like I just did; I'm a writer by profession, so don't think that I'm dedicating countless hours of my life to writing this stuff just because it takes other people hours to write the same. I explained what needed to be explained and you come back to ridicule me; what are you trying to accomplish other than shooting me down for answering a question?

Tommy on the other hand, I would have loved to have been there to see him get hit in the face. I didn't/don't care for him professionally, he was anything but, nor personally. If anyone deserves to be fired it's him and it should have happen long ago. The whole event doesn't make me have more respect for him, he lost that a long time ago.

Agreed on all accounts. Tom Bateman was the one person on the inside of Harmony Gold, it seems, who actually had some semblance of understanding of how Robotech works and has operated (as a storyline) for the past twenty years. To see him gone is a sad day indeed for Robotech fans, but then again, it may be that every day from now on may be rightfully labeled as 'a sad day for Robotech fans.'

Edited by Kamjin 639

I'm pointing out, that you wrote a manifesto about a cartoon. And, that's nice that you're a writer, but somewhere in that head of yours, bounced around that manifesto until it came finally came out. How many nights did you lie bed gnashing your teeth and mulling over your little assualt? It's just sad.

What even more sad, is that you would think that putting pie in Yune's face would accomplish anything other than making "hardcore" fans look like a bunch of whack jobs. So, gee, thanks for that. Good job. I'm sure the Shadow Chronicles 2 will now bee 100% macross faithful thanks to you and your pie.

The real question is, did you honestly think you would be met with anything other than amuesement and ridicule? Did you think we would welcome you like some victorious warrior? Well, since you obviously are used to using your imagination as a writer, please, go back into your fortress of geekdom and pretend we all love and adore you for your actions.

The real question is, did you honestly think you would be met with anything other than amuesement and ridicule?

Yes, I did. The Shadow Chronicles sucks = Tommy Yune sucks = Let him know that he sucks

Is this too broad of a concept for you to grasp?

I also met Alan Letz, he was just a soulless corporate type. I really did not like him, he was not a fan at all, he was just a businessman. I mean, I don't have any ill will towards him. He was just this business guy, and you could tell this was all business to him, not pleasure. Totally different than Tommy Yune and Tom Bateman.

This is totally off-base since you apparently didnt spend any time with him. I spent about 5 hours with him at AX 2005 and he's a pretty fun guy and loves hanging out with the fans. Plus he has an incredible collection of Robotech schwagg he's amassed over last 20 years.

-snip-

Well, it takes guts to come in and explain your actions... for that I have to commend you. But you have to admit that many people will see what you have done as "unnecessary" and "overboard". IMHO you accomplished nothing. You embarrassed a man who only wanted to entertain you with his artwork. For some reason you took his attempts to entertain you personally and assaulted him in a public place. It's one thing to "not like" something and bitch about it on a message board, that is "normal". It's normal to complain... everyone complains about everything. But when you take that step, that step from normal everyday run of the mill complaint to something like this you cross a line.

You yourself claim to be a writer... how would you feel if you were hired on somewhere to write something and someone found what you had to say completely abhorrent and decided to hunt you down and publicly humiliate YOU simply because you wanted to entertain him with your writing? Would you change the way you are working because of it? Would that one pie to your face suddenly make you say "My GOD! This one single dork is RIGHT! I Suck! I need to change everything I do from here on out to the way he wants it right now!" No... it wouldn't. If anything you'd say "wow... look how crazy the people who dislike my work are. Why should I put any credence in the opinion of someone who thinks it's OK to walk up and publicly embarrass someone? That guy's a nutjob!"

Everyone's a critic but that leap from "talk" to "pie in the face" is actually a step backwards rather than forward. You didn't address your desire for change, you simply expressed your rage... and when you do that you are easily written off as a "lone kook".

... and Yes, MWers are Jerks. Then again one man's opinion is another man's "being a jerk"... at least we don't go around smashing pies in people's faces.

From where I sit, I'm looking at a fan whose sense of entitlement was so great he lashed out in anger because of it. Understandable, since we've all been passionate about some perceived injustice at least once in our life, no matter how trivial. Sadly, this particular protest was ill-conceived and serves to harm the very cause you purport to champion. To add further insult to injury, the victim handled the situation with grace. There's no guilt suffered by anyone here who has an opinion on the subject and certainly no blame for sharing comment on your actions. Flippantly proclaiming "I knew I'd be hated!" for this stunt lends you no credibility and only continues the downward spiral. You've marred the image of Robotech fandom and they'll forever be diminished by that black mark without any redemption forthcoming from you.

So since no one pays attention to anyone else here at MacrossWorld, let's tread just a bit more water, shall we. I say take your comeuppance with humility and that's the best you can hope to salvage out of this mistake of yours. Unless you'd like to do something as unexpectedly rational as apologize to Yune and maybe even direct that misplaced passion toward something constructive for the Robotech fandom you claim to represent.