Down to brass tacks. . .

DARKWIND

Yeap, here's a screen shot of the email I received from HLJ.Com. I was planning to get at least two of these, but if I have to spend additional money if and when the shoulder breaks, then I'd rather spend the dough on something else.

As much as I like Yamato and a staunch supporter of their products for a while now, but lately, their Macross products have been a disappointment.

Thanks for posting that pare. Looks like I'll just wait for another VF-0A or VF-0S with POM shoulders next time around.

Yeap, here's a screen shot of the email I received from HLJ.Com. I was planning to get at least two of these, but if I have to spend additional money if and when the shoulder breaks, then I'd rather spend the dough on something else.

As much as I like Yamato and a staunch supporter of their products for a while now, but lately, their Macross products have been a disappointment.

so in short,

"please buy our inferior $200 product and when it breaks, give HLJ $30 more of your money, thanks for writing".

:mellow:

Damn, now I have to take the shoulders on my Shin 0A apart in order to reinforce the insides with epoxy or super glue to prevent Yamatitis (def: the tendency of critical parts breaking under stress that should have been considered during the development process) from compromising the upper arms. This is very disappointing on such a expensive and beautiful toy, and specially considering that POM parts exist for replacements that should cost the consumer nothing other than a small processing fee and shipping. Canceling my VS-51 preorder is getting more and more tempting.

And why the whole arm assembly for replacements? Why not just the upper arm/shoulder parts? Who needs extra forearms and hands anyway?

I have a quick question. I just got my VF-0A Shin and I haven't transformed it or plan to transform it. I plan on displaying it in fighter mode w/the ghost attached. I was wondering if I need to transform it and work on the shoulders or should I leave everything as is. Thanks.

I have a quick question. I just got my VF-0A Shin and I haven't transformed it or plan to transform it. I plan on displaying it in fighter mode w/the ghost attached. I was wondering if I need to transform it and work on the shoulders or should I leave everything as is. Thanks.

you should check it out an make sure that the shoulder haven't cracked and take preventative measures.

Which sux that you have to do that.

Hey mechaninac, you should be careful with how much glue you put on the surface of the inside of the shoulder area. I think one of the causes of the stress mark is because the ball is fitted too tight against the the dark grey parts. Too much glue on the inside might put the dark grey peice under more stress.

Damn, now I have to take the shoulders on my Shin 0A apart in order to reinforce the insides with epoxy or super glue to prevent Yamatitis

You might want to try painting it to test it. I heard paint does not adhere well to POM, so if you brush some paint and it doesn't stick, maybe its POM.

Sounds good. I'll bring a bottle of Testors and a fine brush with me the next time I shop for a Yammie Valk. :rolleyes:

so in short,

"please buy our inferior $200 product and when it breaks, give HLJ $30 more of your money, thanks for writing".

:mellow:

LOL!

Yeah, that about sums it up. :rolleyes:

The latest releases (YF-19, and VF-0's) are definitely eye-candy, but just going by aesthetics is not practical anymore- especially for the price range these toys are going for.

At the moment, I wouldn't mind Yamato releasing color variants of the VF-1's like the Blue Roses, etc with Super/Strike parts. The VF-1 is STILL their best Macross product IMO.

I recall someone posting about how difficult it was to cast parts in POM... if that were the case, the SV-51 is already in jeopardy, and it aint even out yet. <_<

Tks OE for the confirmation!

Now that really su@ks big time! Firstly, the 1/60 VF-0A Shin does not come with pom shoulders as informed. Secondly, we would have to buy the "new" pom shoulders from hlj if ours were to break. <_< Thats really great!

now comes to big question, since the shoulders for the VF-0A Shin, Vf-0S and VF-0A CF are made of ABS, why is there such a drastic difference in the quality of parts? My guess is that sub standard ABS were used for the shoulders of VF-0A CF and VF-0S, while the Vf-0A Shin has the regular ABS. We have to be the one to bear the cost of their "mistakes". This really like a kick in the nuts! <_<

This makes me even doubt wether the YF-19 does possess pom parts as claimed or maybe just ABS. :unsure:

Edited by recon

Still the denial :lol: At this stage, it really doesn't matter if it is POM or cheap plastic, as far as I know, there are two combo Shin Valks have shown stress marks already. Hard deceision for those whom have yet bought one? :mellow:

or is it just a conspiracy by hlj so that more people will buy their FOC shoulder parts? :ph34r:

Edited by Mowe

Hi guys, :)

I am not that new here but have been lurking for some time now and reading all the posts. I went to my local toy store to pick up my VF-0A Shin but somehow the guy at the store sold off my order. I was pissed for not being able to pick one up but after reading all the posts here and hearing all sorts of horror stories, I have a good mind to cancel my order.

This was supposed to be my first Macross/Robotech purchase. Been more of a Transformers fan but thought - what the hey, let's buy a Valkyrie since I have always wanted one.

Anytime, Recon.

Guys, let's settle down a bit. I did PM Graham with the same question that I sent HLJ, and Graham said that he was told that the shoulders "were" upgraded to POM.

I'd take his word over HLJ's anytime, but it's just a little unnerving to find the same issues on a supposedly updated package.

In any case, I'm holding off on these babies for now.

@aezonrath:

Go get a 1/48 VF-1, then a Super/Strike Armor set, or a GBP-1 armor set, or get them all. The 1/48 is still the superior Macross product from Yamato. :D

This was supposed to be my first Macross/Robotech purchase. Been more of a Transformers fan but thought - what the hey, let's buy a Valkyrie since I have always wanted one.

If your an original VF-1 fan from the series or DYRL? movie you really can't go wrong with the 1/48 line.

Not only is it perfect transformation, it's tight as, seriously, i have not had any problems.

Forget the Zero line, not until we get confirmation from Graham himself.

And the YF-19 is pretty close to being perfect to the 1/48 scale VF-1's, but you probably already sussed that.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Anytime, Recon.

Guys, let's settle down a bit. I did PM Graham with the same question that I sent HLJ, and Graham said that he was told that the shoulders "were" upgraded to POM.

I'd take his word over HLJ's anytime, but it's just a little unnerving to find the same issues on a supposedly updated package.

In any case, I'm holding off on these babies for now.

@aezonrath:

Go get a 1/48 VF-1, then a Super/Strike Armor set, or a GBP-1 armor set, or get them all. The 1/48 is still the superior Macross product from Yamato. :D

well, that's good news. I'd take graham's word over those fools at HLJ anytime as well.

Well, Graham's always been kind to us - from his product reviews to big Macross news to any bits of tiny info... so we'll appreciate his info over anybody else's.

But we're talking about Yamato here. So we're sh1t outta luck either way.

If I'm trekking in the wilderness and at a crossroad, I come across a black mamba on my left and a Yamato on my right, I'd kill the one on my right. Should I get bitten by a black mamba, at least they have an antivenin for that. There is no antidote for the kind of stupidity coming from Yamato.

Edited by Beware of Blast

My contact in Yamato who is right at the top of the food chain has previously stated that the Shoulders on the Shin VF-0A are POM.

However, he may have been told the wrong info or missremembered. These things do happen.

I have just emailed him again and asked him to double check with the product development guys, who in turn will check with the factory.

Graham

Thanks Graham :) . If Yamato can clarify what was used, we can make decision accordingly: to get or not to get the spare parts.

My contact in Yamato who is right at the top of the food chain has previously stated that the Shoulders on the Shin VF-0A are POM.

However, he may have been told the wrong info or missremembered. These things do happen.

I have just emailed him again and asked him to double check with the product development guys, who in turn will check with the factory.

Graham

This question has probably been asked a thousand times before, so forgive my ignorance, but do any other Yamato toy lines aside from Macross have as many QC problems, or is Macross sort of their red-headed step-child?

I've heard the Garland has some problems, but that's more of a one-off toy and not an entire line.

I have a Yamato Scopedog which is problem-free (aside from some loose joints which were fixed on later versions) and I haven't heard of any serious QC problems in that line.

Or is it just the nature of the transforming VF toys that there are so many moving parts and so many delicate parts that it's almost impossible for them to avoid problems in the factory? Then again, as others have stated, the 1/48 line has been polished to a lovely sheen.

My guess is that it's a voodoo curse brought about by the Zero series dealing with all that messed-up juju out on the island.

Graham

not to be a jerk but we've been asking about this for quite some time and i'm wondering why you're getting back to us now....weeks after the shin combo release? weeks after people shelled out $200 for it going on the information you provided.....or didn't provide?

sorry but i believe you have your own agenda here that people aren't addressing, you want to stay in yamatos good graces which means you would willingly keep info from us at the request of yamato, information that will hurt yamato future now present sales, then use the explaination above as an excuse for dupping us.

sorry man, but your lack of action/response to this leads me to believe otherwise, please tell me i'm wrong.

Oh, come on now. Maybe Graham simply didn't know.

I find it realy hard to believe that he has 'other' agenda' after all Graham has done in this forum.

Yeah, well, you just come back and tell us what you think after you start noticing the black helicoptors with a stylized "Y" on the side. Graham's not known as the "Hand of Yamato" for nothing you know, and he's on to you, man, he's on to ALL of us!!! :ph34r:

not to be a jerk but we've been asking about this for quite some time and i'm wondering why you're getting back to us now....weeks after the shin combo release? weeks after people shelled out $200 for it going on the information you provided.....or didn't provide?

sorry but i believe you have your own agenda here that people aren't addressing, you want to stay in yamatos good graces which means you would willingly keep info from us at the request of yamato, information that will hurt yamato future now present sales, then use the explaination above as an excuse for dupping us.

sorry man, but your lack of action/response to this leads me to believe otherwise, please tell me i'm wrong.

Lets not be hasty, I don't think Graham has any hidden agendas with Yamato. On the contrary it could be Yamato giving wrong info to Graham but the info were dispensed in good faith. At this point, Yamato has not officially comfirmed the VF-0A Shin's arms are made from POMs or not, so lets not jump to conclusions.

Lets be patient for a bit more, lets see what Yamato has to say first.

Yeah, well, you just come back and tell us what you think after you start noticing the black helicoptors with a stylized "Y" on the side. Graham's not known as the "Hand of Yamato" for nothing you know, and he's on to you, man, he's on to ALL of us!!! :ph34r:

OH NO! Graham's one of *the man*!

Edited by V4lkyri3

Oh, come on now. Maybe Graham simply didn't know.

I find it realy hard to believe that he has 'other' agenda' after all Graham has done in this forum.

Anyhoo, just to clarify my comment, I think Graham just passed the information given to him at the time being. Not because he didn't know what the material was and started making stuff up, nor was he in any conspiracy or whatnot

Edited by V4lkyri3

I'm thinking the Shin 0A doesn't have POM shoulders since the replacement parts from HLJ are entire 0S arms. I'm thinking the assembly line was already changed over for the 0S version 2 when they started using POM. I wouldn't be surprised if only some, or maybe none of the 0S reissues have POM.

I feel that graham has not deliberately withheld information from us in regards to the VF-0A Shin, maybe he has been preoccupied with family/work commitments lately. Even if he did, the truth will be sooner be out due to shoulders breakage as a result of wrong materials usage and stress factors, which does not warrant him to hide this important information from us

On the contrary, i rather believe its the guys at yamato or hlj that foul up, knowing that they can't even handle a simple request or question. <_< If thats the case, i must say im very disappointed and disgusted at their lack of professionalism, especially when this is a 3rd release. :angry:

Edited by recon