Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - <<Season 1>>

Gunota has the translated Newtype interview up with some different info:

http://aeug.blogspot.com/2007_07_01_archiv...929095904465288

Some added MS info:

There is another challenge. I'm aiming for a new innovation as far as MS action goes. Each group will have their own MS, unique in shape and movement as well. To put it simply, a normal MS will have realistic behavior. Since Gundams are super weapons, they will have super mechanic movements. These differences will be purposely put in place and I'm looking forward to how much variety of actions we can express. I want everyone to look forward to this because I am, too.

I'm looking forward to this the more I read...........Bring on October! :D

Found this pic of some of the female characters:

sgundamdouble0.jpg

Edited by GRAND CANNON

Urmmm..... yay? :rolleyes:

At least they are being straight forward about it and not trying to pass it off as one thing while clearly doing something else. That's one of the things that really annoyed me (and caused me to dislike) about the SEED series.

I may sound like a troll here but I don´t care that much about the new gundam series, I just hope it won´t take the lights aways from the new Macross.

Besides that, I´m not too shure about bringing people with absolutely no background into a established franchise, at least not in the directing position.

Edited by Aegis!

Besides that, I´m not too shure about bringing people with absolutely no background into a established franchise, at least not in the directing position.

It can be good and bad, but it really depends on where this series goes.

I think it'll work well for Gundam because the franchise as it stands doesn't really have any solid ground rules, besides having mechs called Gundams. It's also been reivented so many times already I don't see how one more can hurt.

And Seji is a good director, FMA is a great series and if he can do the same but with the eponymous gundams then we should be in for something special.

Black Valkyrie, cheers for the link, can't watch it till I get back from work tho. :(

Each group will have their own MS, unique in shape and movement as well. To put it simply, a normal MS will have realistic behavior. Since Gundams are super weapons, they will have super mechanic movements. These differences will be purposely put in place and I'm looking forward to how much variety of actions we can express. I want everyone to look forward to this because I am, too.

Sounds a bit like MS 8th team but mixed with a macross style acrobatic robot with graceful motions and feeling of lightweightedness. This is the kind of thing I imagine the gundam is: it's got very good strong armor but also superior flexibility to those shitty zaku's which don't look like they could move thier arms with much grace or dexterity. (due to the bulk)

It's delicate and speedy, but can take a heavy beating too (armor is superior and lighter - char's skills allow him to fly at dangerously high speeds like an f1 driver and not crash. He has no need for armor due to never worrying about getting hit)

For me what gundam needed was to show the differences between a psychic pilot with inhuman reaction speed, using a lightweight robot with virtually indestructible armor (think of the mithril from lord of the rings) and an ace pilot with great reaction speed but limited technology.

See if you think about it: money is the only thing seperates the kid from the adult. The kid is inexperienced but gifted, and the adult is experienced but slow. The kid is given a one-of-a-kind robot, and the adult is forced to use whatever the government can afford. (the people paying for it are assuming there is no need for anything better than what they spent the money on)

Because the gundam is expensive at first, it has to show through in the animation. Bubblegum crisis is a good example of showing the differences between the more advanced suits over the slower ones and how out of date the police were. The gundam in many ways should move with a lot less restriction in its limbs and handle finer motions much better than the fatter robots. In a sense, it should be at least good enough to move like the Qrau would in macross compared to the chunky destroids which look weighed down by armor.

What it comes down to is a gundam features the hardest armor, which at the same time is also light compared to other armor, with no penalty for having that hard armor, while also benefitting from the best weapons. (if you think back to the original gundam beam weapons were the key to melting armor with their power and this was really the first super anti-mobile suit weapon. A single shot was enough to kill a mobile suit. Combine that power with being much lighter and harder, and you have a robot that is stronger in every category that matters but only made in limited number. If the show depicts the gundam as a super robot, it will actually be going back to the roots of the original gundam when the whole idea of beam weapons, and lunar titanium was still a secret project and the mystery of the gundam iteself was enough of a threat to the bad guys, that they'd have to send their best pilots after it to capture and steal that technology.

Gundam was never about the nameless soldier, but about high tech gadgets which eventually outclass all the bad guys who are amazed that the robot actually exists and capable of doing the things it does. (as if stunned that nothing like it as possible with current day technology) So in a way gundams were always suped-up to a level that the average soldier thought of as legendary. Every soldier that tried to fight it would get angry they couldn't take down the white suit. So it's got to be much better than mass produced. Not just a bit better in specs, but like way out of the class of the modern technology. It has to be technology that might not even be used for another 10-20 years, something more futuristic that doesn't belong in the age it is fighting in, way ahead of its time. That is how I've always seen it. If it can move effortlessly while everyone else moves mechanically and step by step as if the machine and man are not connected, it will be true to what gundam was about in the first place. The kid is close to machine and communicates with it, (it's like a pet with AI system that learns it's user's behaviour and predicts ahead of time what he thinks) while the adult is grounded in realism and cynical about the world from battle experience. Almost too cocky to believe anything until he can see it with his very own eyes.

But the gundam being a secret mobile suit, has to have that impression on the unbelieving adult of: "oh poo, it's a never before seen model that moves scarily quick that I've never witnessed in my entire 30 year career" kind of reaction. If I take that suit down I'm going to be famous. ...this is then followed by that character dying or failing every episode because it is like a storm trooper thinking it can take out a jedi with skill alone, when it doesn't know that skill is only partially to do with it: being psychic and reading what is going to happen ahead of time is a huge advantage. Yes it's unrealistic for a kid to beat an adult, but not unrealstic for a kid with a gift, (whose also a genius with machines) to beat an adult when you take into account the intuition of the newtype. So if you can accept psychic pilot having an unfair advantage then the idea of a super high tech robot with a kid whose got psychic link to the universe telling him what to do, it's not such a hard thing to swallow. We've all gotten used to this idea that a real robot show means that pilots with skills automatically means everyone without as much skill should move slowly and clumsily because they've never fired a weapon in their life before. For me it just means that there is realistic specs and physics, but room enough for fictional tech. (like super light armor, machines that learn, pilots whose minds can process lots of info quickly that can be used to predict what will happen at any given moment even if there are hundreds of moving objects to consider)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well at least the character designs are more appealing than seed :lol:

Quite funny actually. Remember that the character designs not only encompass looks but also the way the characters actions and dialect. Therefore too early to tell.

Wow, five star stories style mecha in a new Gundam show, awesome.

Edit: Gunota has the details on these,

"SVMS-01 Union Flag

"Union variable MS. It can change into a flight form but that doesn't suppose transformation during combat. Armed with a Linear Rifle that fires electromagnetically accelerated live rounds. For melee combat, a super-vibrating Sonic Blade. One part of the machine is also equipped with an energy-covered Plasma Sword blade. There are many variations of this unit."

Head height: 17.9 meters

Base weight: 67.1 tons

Designed by Hitoshi Fukuchi

AEU-09 AEU Enact (Demonstration colors)

"The latest MS developed by the AEU. A solar energy model, the MS itself can accept a direct supply of power from the orbital elevator's generation system. The basic design is based on the Union's Flag and shares many features such as the flight form transformation and armaments. "

Head height: 17.6 meters

Base weight: 66.8 tons

Designed by Hitoshi Fukuchi

MSJ-06II-A Tieren

"Human Progressive League (aka People's Reform League, etc...still no official English version yet. Pick your favorite translation.) mass-production MS. Many variations for ground and space-use exist. Compared to MS in other armies, the unit is unusual in that its very slow. But as much as it sacrifices in mobility, it has strong defensive abilities and can be loaded with heavyweight armaments. It's basic weaponry is a gun & Carbon Blade and though seen as an old model in contrast to other forces, its very reliable."

Head height: 18.1 meters

Base weight: 121.3 tons

Designed by Kenji Teraoka"

Now we know why there was so many mecha designers listed.

Edited by Fort Max

Probably won't be any colonies yet, not until they feed back into the beginning of the U.C., even though they say they won't, I just see sunrise wasting the opportunity.

BTW, at Gunota, there's news that the original Gundam movies are being released in Japan with their original audio track in a new set. Cross your fingers for subtitles!

Lots of variety here. I like those mass produced ones. Hundreds of average pilots who are worthless at survival will probably end up dying a horrible one shot death but that's what reminds us of the futility of war. :D

Anything like the guntank going to be in it? They could have these to support the gundam for long range fights where accuracy is needed and treads will make it less likely to fall over and lose balance in the sand. (modifiable gundam for after its legs and arms get destroyed :D)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Some info about the new Gundam from Gunota.

Oh, for God's sake, not again. As much as I do not care at all about this show(never been a fan of Gundam anyway, although the only mechs I like from this entire franchise is the Hi-Nu and the Gundam Astrays Blue and Red.), I was hoping the fourth character was a girl. Wearing Glasses. Yesss....

But no, it HAS TO BE a Super-Girly-Feminine-Pretty-Boy. Damn anime fetish! When will I come across a GOOD anime of this current generation that does not have that blatant gender-bending fetish!? WHEN!?!?

*Ahem**cough* Ok, sorry about that.

Edited by MangledMess

Agent

Wang Liu Mi - A beautiful 17-year-old celebrity. Today, the Carribean Sea, tomorrow, Japan...she works hard at her social life in financial circles traveling around the world. In reality, she's a secret agent who supports the Gundam Meisters from the shadows. Pig-tailed girl in the trailer.

Hong Rong - Wang Liu Mi's butler. Accompanies her faithfully and refers to her as "ojousama". He is also an Agent.

It's the Japanese answer to Thunderbirds Lady Penelope and Parker. :lol: