Macross Plus Remaster Box /Macross 7 TV/OVA

jet660

I'm just wondering a bit here.

If the Manga subs are cringe worthy, what subs do you know of that are not?

Can one download them from somewhere?

Most F-subs that I know of didn't translate the subs themselves for Macross Plus.

Thanks.

ericf

EDIT: I had som old Jacosubs on my HD.

I converted them (with some trouble) to ass (Aegisub) so I could check them against Mangas subs.

This translation sucks.

Originally from Arctic Animation and changed/edited by Cactus Subtitling, it seems. Lots of dialog and song text is missing.

Very chopped english sentences.

Anyone have an alternate translation?

It seems I can't upload the subs here.

ericf

Edited by ericf

Your set has subs because it's most likely a bootleg.

Now I'm really curious here.

I don't think its bootleg, its pack in a nice box at least and it have title licenses.

Meanwhile, if anime need to get licenses to sell in NA, they also need to do so in Hong kong and taiwan and rest of china.

The chinese market for anime is 10 no... 100 times...maybe even 1000 times bigger then what the North american market gives.

If you are a smart business man, which market would you go? a small anime market or a big anime market?

And of course, chinese subtitle is a must and most likely chinese voice audio (as these get broadcast on daily TV.... not just anime special channel..i am talking about DAILY general TV...)

As a chinese, i can say i start watching anime since 3? ... I even saw the original SDF on hong kong daily TV...

The odds of a legit Chinese release having english subs are infinitesimally small. It doesn't strike me as common practise that a DVD marketed to China would have subs in a language no really spoken there. Bootleggers are also known for great packaging. There is no legit, english release of M7 to my knowledge. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I fail to see what market share has to do with it as well.

If the DVD you have with engrish subs looks like any of these http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/video/_video_bootleg.htm they are bootlegs. My friend bought me a Macross 7 bootleg set years ago which I wish he hadn't as it supports a bad practice but he didnt know they were bootlegs either.

Edited by Sorata

Probably they are still alive....barely. :D They had stiff competition the last few years with other anime companies. There has been a saturation of anime over the years resulting in mediorce storylines, designs, and quality. Once in a while, you will get a good series among the group. In the past, the anime market used to be a niche market with selected domestic companies, now it is inflated quite a bit.

Zinjo - I would love to have Bluray box version of it. Sadly the cost of those disks and dvd players are not cheap now. That would burn a bigger hole in my paycheck. :lol:

/me tosses beer cans in the stew

you think Disharmony Mold will ALLOW bandai to bring to the US anything Macross Related? B)) probably not, IMHO...

• 3 months later...

Sorry to revisit an older release, with Frontier being out an all. But with Frontier out it is revitalizing my interest in older titles of the Macross series.

Can anyone comment as to the quality of the KAA Macross Plus remastered release? I took a look at it on my PC and it did not impress me as much as the Macross 7 remastered releases from VIP.

I guess the thing that is bugging me is that the colors seem faded, the colors are not as bright as they should be.

I have to admit that I have not done a side by side comparison with my Manga DVDs (they are hidden somewhere in the closet, lol).

I just wanted to know if the KAA encode is an accurate rip of the original remastered disc.

Edited by OptimusX

The video is fantastic, much better than the old DVDs. That said, they still use the old Manga subs, which is not so fantastic.

Thanks for your response! Now I guess I'll have to figure out if I'm just being picky, or if there is a problem with my software. The result was the same when I used VLC media player. The outdoor scene at the start of ep1 just doesn't seem bright for such a sunny day.

Anyway, thanks for your fast response.

Use Zoom Player standard its free and can run anyfile smooth, plus it doesnt have the problem with subs that VLC had.

I've played around with it and I think I'm just of the opinion that the encode is a little dark and that the contrast/brightness could be adjusted. I ran it through convertxtodvd and the result is still the same...the quality of the video is great, it just seems kind of dim.

I'm going to see if I can somehow get my hands on the R2 release to see if I have the same opinion of the video.

*********update******

I was poking around to see if I could find a clean R2 release, but I found another source, titled "Macross Plus Remaster Box" released or posted by someone under the name "foganime." Anyone ever heard of him? I'm wondering if this is a different version from the KAA version? I'm getting it now and looking forward to checking it out!

Edited by OptimusX

Must be some setting on your PC, it doesnt look a little dark to me. I compaired it to my copies of the Manga DVD release and they are brighter with better color especially ep 1 in the asteroid belt. I cant remember what setting off hand you need to change on your player but I had the same problem with Macross 7 till I changed a setting and then it came out better and brighter ( I think it had to do with overlay cause it was a setting that after changing it I could see small valkyries in the background clearer when in dark areas but it didnt cause the color to be to bright or washed out and I also had to change that setting in windows media player to take screen shots till I got Zoom). As for how it comes out on dvd i have no clue whay it would do that.

EDIT: to reply with your update above i have both the foganime release and KAA release both are good and have optional subs the images are the same with a few mb difference they both appear to be seperate rips of the R2 release as exact copies just with subs added by the respective groups. the exception to this is the fog release is slightly larger sized image wise than the KAA release but same quality.

Edited by Sorata

So are the subtitles the same on the two releases? If the manga subs aren't that great (why not?), is there a better translation? No one has released this with english subtitles but Manga for all I know.

Thanks.

ericf

So are the subtitles the same on the two releases? If the manga subs aren't that great (why not?), is there a better translation? No one has released this with english subtitles but Manga for all I know.

Thanks.

ericf

I worked with the Manga subtitles for boinger's upload of the Plus movie, and...they seem fine to me. Not necessarily the most literal, but they read well and convey the same meaning.

The only thing that bugs me is that they call the designer of the YF-19 "Yang" Neumann, when it makes a hell of a lot more sense that his first name is actually "Jan."

Just got the first episode of foganime's version. All I can say is that version gave me the "wow" factor and I find it beautiful and vibrant. The KAA version, for some reason, just comes out with flat colors (on my system).

All I can say is that it is worth checking both releases and comparing the quality.

Can anyone comment as to the quality of the KAA Macross Plus remastered release? I took a look at it on my PC and it did not impress me as much as the Macross 7 remastered releases from VIP.

I think it's just that the Macross 7 Remaster is just that good actually. The Macross Plus remaster (both OAVs and Movie) is great too, but I just feel Macross 7 is a one step ahead. As a matter of fact I don't think I've seen another Remaster that looks as good as Macross 7 - I got some rip of the Escaflowne HD Remaster, they looks great but still : Macross 7 just looks even better.

In any case that remaster of Macross Plus is still lightyears ahead of the Manga Video Releases, especially the film.

-Sergorn

I think it's just that the Macross 7 Remaster is just that good actually. The Macross Plus remaster (both OAVs and Movie) is great too, but I just feel Macross 7 is a one step ahead. As a matter of fact I don't think I've seen another Remaster that looks as good as Macross 7 - I got some rip of the Escaflowne HD Remaster, they looks great but still : Macross 7 just looks even better.

In any case that remaster of Macross Plus is still lightyears ahead of the Manga Video Releases, especially the film.

-Sergorn

I admit that I don't know if I have the latest CCCP installed. Their latest release was from last January. From what I understand, VLC doesn't use codecs but it's own internal engine, right? It showed the video the same way. I'll probably download the new CCCP just to see if it makes a difference for the KAA version. However, I'm glad that foganime's version looks so wonderful...but the subs are less than desirable. I just ripped out the KAA subs and they seem to work fine with the foganime version.

I can't tell you how suprised I was to find the Macross 7 remastered being subbed by VIP. I can't even find a website to say "thanks." I never thought I'd see that show in decent quality for our modern day equipment! For those who saw Macross 7 from when it was originally fansubbed, we were still doing the old VHS distribution. It's nice to see it get the digital treatment. I hope they finish it, specials and all!

I'm having a problem finding a torrent equivalent to Boinger's 3.1Gb Macross Plus movie, so I'm getting it from iMacross4 one rar file at a time. I'm looking forward to that as well.

Macross Frontier has brought me back after lurking for so long, I'm even acquiring the remastered DYRL, and the 10 minute extended edition MML release.

My only gripe about it all....is that none of these are domestic releases and I'm not paying anything! Lol, who should I pay? Damn you HG!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally broke down and decided to spend my economic stimulus $600 on... stimulating the Macross economy? Picked up both the Macross Plus and both Macross 7 Remastered box sets off Amazon Japan. Seems like alot of people have the Plus box but no one seems to have the M7 boxes, so I figured I'd post pictures (sorry for the quality) of the box art and booklets for anyone interested. Really impressive quality on the whole, beautiful presentation, and exceptional remastered video quality but anyone who's seen the VIP releases already knows that. Each set has one line art booklet and one full color. Tried to keep them sealed, but that lasted an hour or 2 at best. Now to work on my Japanese... and start saving for the Zero box and Frontier when they come out.

post-8071-1212182004_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1212182016_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1212182025_thumb.jpg

I finally broke down and decided to spend my economic stimulus $600 on... stimulating the Macross economy? Picked up both the Macross Plus and both Macross 7 Remastered box sets off Amazon Japan. Seems like alot of people have the Plus box but no one seems to have the M7 boxes, so I figured I'd post pictures (sorry for the quality) of the box art and booklets for anyone interested. Really impressive quality on the whole, beautiful presentation, and exceptional remastered video quality but anyone who's seen the VIP releases already knows that. Each set has one line art booklet and one full color. Tried to keep them sealed, but that lasted an hour or 2 at best. Now to work on my Japanese... and start saving for the Zero box and Frontier when they come out.

post-8071-1212182004_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1212182016_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1212182025_thumb.jpg

Any chance to have some scans of those pretty illustrations? :) Pretty please?

Good for you! with every dollar (or 103 yen) someone spends on Macross, an angel gets its wings.

I just wish someone would upload DivX files of Plus and 7 remastered...but that's just more incentive for me to get the box sets for myself...

I'll try to get some scans when I can get on a friend's scanner, unfortunately all I had for those pics was my phone. The art is all credited on the inside spines, Tenjin did the interior of the Fire Valkyrie and the 3 faces of Sound Force.

Alot of care went into the M7 remasters, both the packaging and the processing. Not to discount the Plus remaster, but it doesn't even feel like it's in the same league. Maybe not the best ¥60,000 I've ever spent, but it feels worth it. Amazon Japan might be the worst thing for my wallet ever, though, since I'm still semi-looking for the DYRL limited box, and really thinking about buying the SDFM TV 25th box. At least I'm not that into Valkyrie toys.

I just wish someone would upload DivX files of Plus and 7 remastered...but that's just more incentive for me to get the box sets for myself...

you can find this in:

http://macrosshare.blogspot.com/

Some days ago I just found on mininova, a torrent file whith M7 remastered, a set of 16 DVD (106 GB) but problem is the subs.

If anyone can find a good subs for this will be a great help

you can find this in:

http://macrosshare.blogspot.com/

Some days ago I just found on mininova, a torrent file whith M7 remastered, a set of 16 DVD (106 GB) but problem is the subs.

If anyone can find a good subs for this will be a great help

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately, I have an old Mac with no way to convert ISO files to DivX...but yes, in almost all other ways, macrosshare is a great resource.

• 2 weeks later...

Lazy Sunday, and trying to watch other anime (Gurren Lagann this time around) got really boring, so I decided to finally start scanning in Macross 7 Remaster Box images. These are the 8 fold outs from Remaster Box 1; the thing is laquered to high heaven with gloss so I had to do high DPI scans, although I think it turned out well. They're all ~1150x1540, if I'm pushing space let me know mods... there's alot more where this came from :ph34r:

post-8071-1213579245_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213579260_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213579273_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213579285_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213579298_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213579316_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213579332_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213579347_thumb.jpg

Edit: Sorry, but I'm not going to scan much of the extras. But here's some VF-22 lineart for you mecha pr0n pervs out there. I would have gone for Basara's custom VF-19 but I couldn't be cruel.

post-8071-1213580528_thumb.jpg

Edited by stray

Lazy Sunday, and trying to watch other anime (Gurren Lagann this time around) got really boring, so I decided to finally start scanning in Macross 7 Remaster Box images. These are the 8 fold outs from Remaster Box 1; the thing is laquered to high heaven with gloss so I had to do high DPI scans, although I think it turned out well. They're all ~1150x1540, if I'm pushing space let me know mods... there's alot more where this came from :ph34r:

These are great! Thanks for sharing these scans! ^_^

I especially love the one with Max and Miria with a baby Mylene. And it's interesting to see Basara without the glasses for a change.

--Lone Wolf

一匹狼

Edited by Ippiki Ookami

These are great! Thanks for sharing these scans! ^_^

I especially love the one with Max and Miria with a baby Mylene. And it's interesting to see Basara without the glasses for a change.

--Lone Wolf

一匹狼

np... I hopefully will have scans off of Remaster Box 2 up tonight at some point.

For now tho, if someone can translate this caption, it'd be nifty...

post-8071-1213581894_thumb.jpg

np... I hopefully will have scans off of Remaster Box 2 up tonight at some point.

For now tho, if someone can translate this caption, it'd be nifty...

post-8071-1213581894_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot for the scans! The translation is: "I wonder if this day will ever come..?" ^_^

I think I heard my bank account whimper. Those are some fantastic images! I'm trying desperately to stay in the group of fans waiting for Macross to come to Blu-ray, but this remastered anniversary edition of Macross 7 is oh so tempting. I have seen the .mkv files too, so I have an idea of what to expect, and that makes it even more difficult to be patient.

I had just about talked myself into buying Macross Plus all on its own, but now I'm back to square one! Feh! :lol:

8 more scans of artwork from the Remaster Box 2 fold outs. Same resolution as the others. Bomber!

post-8071-1213591314_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213591328_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213591340_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213591352_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213591384_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213591396_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213591417_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213591439_thumb.jpg

I had to scan this if just for the sheer WTF value... might be a reprint, but either way it's in English.

post-8071-1213591767_thumb.jpgpost-8071-1213591786_thumb.jpg

edit: BTW technoblue if it makes you feel any better my bank account is still shrieking... although it was worth it IMO. I got the Macross Plus remaster at the same time and wasn't super impressed by it. Still have Zero BR set and Frontier BR on order...

Edited by stray