Macross Plus Remaster Box /Macross 7 TV/OVA

jet660

Oh man the Manga entertainment one looks like way too dark and old. Actually it looks almost as though manga entertainment made a direct transfer from their VHS copies with only minor color corrections. Curses I wish this R2 remastered box set came here in the states with subs. :(

Actually, that's EXACTLY what they did for the movie edition. Complete with hard subs.

Here is the link from cdjapan

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3048

It does state it will be HD remastered. I am just not sure it will be widescreen though. It just say standard ratio.

Kensei - I think it could be legal issues regarding subtitle format. The subtitle version of Mac+ came from Manga Entertainment to meet the demands of subtitle anime. When you look at the Bandai anime video catalog, there are 2 versions which aims at the Japanese and the International (English) audiences. I am not sure if Manga Entertainment still have rights to Macross Plus in the US today. IF it still does, Manga Entertainment may have their version of it. I would not be surprise if they decide to do that.

Ironically, Bandai/Emotion Mac+ International and the ME dvds has the same audio track in English. Which me wonder why they don't include it this box set. It would have more appeal to international buyers.

I finally get my answer. Thanks.

Treatment do you work for Bandai Visual Japan perchance?? :p

OMG I knew the early releases of the series was a poor quality, but compared to the remastered version, it truly SUCKS!!

The color saturation is really remarkable compared to the old release...

Best 12000 Yen I ever spent.... :D

P.S. The earlier Japanese release of the series is of the same poor quality as the Manga release... <_<

Edited by Zinjo

I finally get my answer. Thanks.

One thing Jet isn't aware of is that the Manga releases pre-date 2003. In early 2003 HG managed to trademark the name "Macross" in the US & Canada (after Tatsunoko lost the Japanese copyright case), thus anyone wanting to use that name need their permission and or must pay them to use it (no doubt other unreasonable stipulations would be imposed as well).

Therefore I am doubtful Manga will re-release Macross Plus or at the very least won't release it under the same name, if they choose to secure the rights to the re-mastered transfer.

One thing Jet isn't aware of is that the Manga releases pre-date 2003. In early 2003 HG managed to trademark the name "Macross" in the US & Canada (after Tatsunoko lost the Japanese copyright case), thus anyone wanting to use that name need their permission and or must pay them to use it (no doubt other unreasonable stipulations would be imposed as well).

Therefore I am doubtful Manga will re-release Macross Plus or at the very least won't release it under the same name, if they choose to secure the rights to the re-mastered transfer.

Thanks for the information. :) So you recommend me to buy the japanese version of Macross Plus Remastered as soon as I can, right ?

Edited by Macross007

Question,

How difficult would it be to rip the english audio and subs out of the old manga release and combine them with the new remastered video? I can't imagine this would be too difficult.

Second Question,

Will anybody on Macrossworld be subbing the new edition of macross 7 as was done for the FX copies of DYRL.

Happy holidays.

Question,

How difficult would it be to rip the english audio and subs out of the old manga release and combine them with the new remastered video? I can't imagine this would be too difficult.

Second Question,

Will anybody on Macrossworld be subbing the new edition of macross 7 as was done for the FX copies of DYRL.

Happy holidays.

KAA released the OAV set with subs as h.264 files. They look pretty good. I wish they'd put the film version out.

As for M7, no dice yet.

I'm still trying to figure out how to put subs on a DVD myself. I've been working on an anime video project of late.

KAA released the OAV set with subs as h.264 files. They look pretty good. I wish they'd put the film version out.

As for M7, no dice yet.

I'm still trying to figure out how to put subs on a DVD myself. I've been working on an anime video project of late.

Isn't it possible to just rip the subs off the originals on macross plus? Same goes for mac 7 with the HK versions. The subs aren't great but they should work if one could isolate the files.

The bigger question with macross plus is to just rip the english audio...I like the english audio...and add it to the remastered video?

Sure. I'm just saying that a fansub already exists. One can capture the subs with something like subrip. Though it might be even easier to just rip the subs out of the KAA release. Putting it back togeter would be a bit of a pain, as you'd have to reauthor the whole disc.

The audio's easy. Just demux it out. Why you'd want the dub though...? I thought it sounded good, but the rewriting ruined it. I saw it dubbed originally, and always wondered why Sharon wanted to kill Isamu if she loved him so much. When I saw it subbed, I understood. The dub removed the dialogue were Myung asks that very question in favor of more pointless bickering, if I remember correctly. Still, to each their own, I suppose.

www.doom9.org will tell you everything.

WOW, words dont give justice to the remastered Macross Plus. I set myself as a seed so others can get the file. I remember in 1997 when I first saw the previews and my jaw hit the ground. Watching the remasted brought back that feeling. I can only begin to imagine how it will look on blueray/hddvd

It really depends on the show in question. M+ probably has the detail and color to make a HD transfer worthwhile, whereas Macross Tv might not fair so well. Something massively detailed like the supposed Sleeping Beauty BD should look great.

I can understand what you mean though. I've collected a lot of anime on VHS just because DVD offered no benefit at times outside of slightly crisper image, slightly clearer colors, less shelf space (trivial reason)and added craptastic dub. Heck, ADV's early DVDs offered no real benefit^_^

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

That's it guys !!! I received my box yesterday and I can say without hesitation that the box is worth the 162 bucks. ^_^ It's amazing the level of details we can see in the remastered version compare to the non-remastered one. Now, I need a japanese professor. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know of a DVR rip (aka ISO) torrent of the new macross plus remaster? Its not like its going to be released here so its probably legal to download. If I can get a copy I'll try ripping the audio from the english release and add it to the new remaster version.

Where can you buy the Remaster Box sets of Macross Plus, Macross 7 TV series and OVA movie. In US currency how much are the box sets?

- Macross Plus remastered :

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3048

- Macross 7 series, encore, movie and OAV remastered :

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3049

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3050

Edited by Macross007

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have the old Dvd version of macross 7 box set and i just saw the newer remastered. I really can't tell the differences at all... It just look abit brigther and a tiny bit smoother.

For 600 USD, i don't think it worry it. But there is a torrent around carry the HD remastered macross 7 now, @ 106 gigs require Double layer DVD to burn (cost around 50 bucks for 25).

By the way, my macross 7 dvd box set have english sub. If you buy anime from Hong kong/China/Taiwan license you will find english sub on those Dvd. But i don't think the Remastered HD version will be redone over there. You can always hope and try find it.