The Xbox 360 Thread Elite Edition

No way, liara is way cuter than ash, even if her head looks like a starfish with a face. But a cute face. Besides, Liara can juggle a whole room full of baddies and send them flying into a wall and blow up turrets with nothing but the power of her mind.

Hey! I haven't seen Liara without her helmet yet! Thanks for ruining the game. :p

Yeah, I still haven't left the citadel. I have a feeling this first playthrough is going to be 40+ hours. At least I'm getting my money's worth.

Hey! I haven't seen Liara without her helmet yet! Thanks for ruining the game. :p

Yeah, I still haven't left the citadel. I have a feeling this first playthrough is going to be 40+ hours. At least I'm getting my money's worth.

you're thinking of tali the quarian. Liara is the blue alien girl in all the promo stuff, so I haven't ruined nuthin. :p

After a crazy Boxing Day sale (Canadian version of Black Friday on Dec 26), I managed to snag 4 Xbox 360 titles at Best Buy and received 1 as a gift.

Assassin's Creed $39.99

Bioshock $39.99

The Darkness $19.99

GRAW 2 $19.99

And received Orange Box as a gift.

I planned on picking up Ace Combat 6 as well, but it was selling at the regular $59.99 price, I'd forgo it and work on the other games as well. So far I have 12 games in my colleciton, not bad considering I've owned the console only for about 2 weeks including the very underwhelming but somewhat enjoyable Halo 3, the GOTY material Mass Effect and Gears of War, beating both those on the weekend. Dead Rising was pretty good, and got through all the case files on my 2nd try. The package also came with Forza 2 and Marvel, both which I haven't spent much time on. And I've beaten R6 Vegas 2 times already (which I also beat on the PS3 version).

Does anyone here experience their Xbox 360 shutting down after maybe 20 minutes of inactivity if you are in the dashboard and don't touch anything? I don't have the auto shut down enabled, but mine just completely shuts down and wondered if its a built in mechanism. I bought this Elite just on December 17th or so.

Also, as posted above, my Live username is Delicious Bunny.

Updated! Anyone else who wanta to be on the list just let me know. :)

Looks like it's time for a new 360 thread! :p Downloaded Rush'n Attack last night. Nice to have the flame thrower that was absent in the NES version. :D

And as a few have suggested below, I am going to start a master list of everyone on macross World who is on Xbox Live. I'll update the list as more post to this thread. The name on the left will be Macross World ID's while names on the right will be their Live alias:

Apollo Leader - Apollo Leader

Chowser - Sarge051

Mechafan - TechGhostR6

BoBe-Patt - bobe patt

Sephiroth - Sephiroth017

MilkManX - MilkManX

Dante74 - Lorenzo74

David Hingtgen - Xenogears Id

Valkyrie - Valkyrie2036

Axelay - Silent Scope EX

JsARCLIGHT - JsARCLIGHT

Oihan (Oyan) - Ashmedai

Alpha OTS - Qaztab

Fort Max - Angst O Tron

mikeszekely - Pharaohman

eugimon - eugimon

Mechafan - TechGhostR6

VT 1010 - ROU21

Beltane70 - Beltane0070

Ishimaru - Ryvann

danth - Coocoocola

yellowlightman - Crocodilopolis

Godzilla - Tsoumiester

Spatula - Delicious Bunny

It's worth it if you are like me and your only available network jack is upstairs behind two doors. It was far easier for me to just plunk the money down and have it ping my WiFi. But I guess if your Xbox is set up within 10 feet of a network plug then it is kind of redundant and expensive for what it does.

like J said, if it's too far away, or your house is too nice, get the wireless adapter. you might be able to get it used at GS for around $80.

I have an old house and I just drilled some holes in the floor, my basement is not finished so I don't mind all the cables going everywhere.

My friend has his router directly underneath his 360, but his basement is finished and he doesn't trust me drilling into walls, so he bought the adapter.

My brother and I both just use long ethernet cables snaking across the living room when we need to connect to LIVE. It's cheap, and easy enough. And very easy to configure. :)

PS--man, A. Creed for 40 bucks? BestBuy in the US is selling the PS3 version for that, but not the 360 version. But Canadian Best Buy's sell the 360 version for that price?

Well i got a failure on MTUs, but DNS is good now...so I figured its a router issue cause its 10 years old. So i talked to a guy I know who got his up and he recommened the neatgear wireless wgr614 and it was on the list for compatible routers....with any luck Ill be up tonight

I'm using a 614, and my Xbox 360 is hooked up to it -- it works fine for my setup, and we didn't really configure it (i.e., it's pretty out-of-box). I'm hooked up with a hardline though, not wireless.

Is it a home-network issue (i.e., related to how your PCs and the router is setup), or a connection problem (i.e., something to do with the external line heading out)?

I have come to the conclusion that I am a huge moron. For some stupid reason I decided to turn the console from the horizontal to the vertical with a disc being read. Why oh WHY did I do that?! Now my Mass Effect disc is trashed, and it looks like the damn drive is causing some scratching on the other discs when it wasn't doing so before. Looks like I'm out $60 for another copy of Mass Effect for sure, and I should probably blow who knows how much on a new drive. And I imagine I have to send it in to get the drive replaced? :(

Has anyone else been this monumentally retarded? :(

Edited by meh_cd

ah, that sucks meh_cd. You might as well try resurfacing Mass Effect if you're going to rebuy it anyways. Or you can try selling it to gamestop/eb games, they have a pretty lax policy when it comes to buying damaged discs (they have a big poster in the back with their policies), as long as the scratches aren't too deep, they'll take it and resurface it themselves... which is why I never buy used games from them :p

ah, that sucks meh_cd. You might as well try resurfacing Mass Effect if you're going to rebuy it anyways. Or you can try selling it to gamestop/eb games, they have a pretty lax policy when it comes to buying damaged discs (they have a big poster in the back with their policies), as long as the scratches aren't too deep, they'll take it and resurface it themselves... which is why I never buy used games from them :p

Thoughts on the drive? I'm worried it is going to damage my other disks.

Thoughts on the drive? I'm worried it is going to damage my other disks.

try it with a throwaway CD? Maybe an a demo disc? It could just be slightly misaligned and putting it vertical caused it to rub against the tray in an odd way.

Contact MS directly to try to get a replacement ME disc. They may argue that it's 3rd party and not their responsibility, but they ARE the publisher, not Bioware, says so right on the box. (This has happened before on the ME forums).

PS--that's one more reason I prefer consoles that hold the disc directly when you put them in like a PStwo or DC or GC, not a tray nor slot loader. You could turn the things upside down and they'd be fine. Especially the PStwo--thing has a death-grip on discs.

It looks like my worries about disk scratching were unfounded. I played FM2 for a good hour+ and there was no scratches.

I'll do that David. I doubt they will but it is worth a try. I suppose getting disks trashed like this is fairly common since it is such an easy thing to do. I had actually read the directions in the booklet that said specifically NOT to do this, but I just spaced and forgot about it.

One thing - does your guys' drive make a loud vibrating noise when you close the tray without a disk? I can't remember if it did that before.

Even if MS won't "give" you a disc, paying for a replacment disc from them is like 20 bucks IIRC---a lot cheaper than re-buying the game.

If you need some more reference when calling to back up your claim to MS that ME is in fact MS's problem when it comes to discs, it says right here: http://masseffect.bioware.com/support/

PS--man, A. Creed for 40 bucks? BestBuy in the US is selling the PS3 version for that, but not the 360 version. But Canadian Best Buy's sell the 360 version for that price?

That is correct. Creed for $39.99 CDN / about $40 USD for both PS3 and Xbox 360 versions. Again, this is not the normal price, its usually $59.99. I'm honestly playing other games more than that now, after killing my first target. Hearing I have to do this 9 times out of the many reviews I read was more of a chore than anything else. I just wanted to see what the fuss was all about. Might start either Orange Box or Bioshock tonight.

I have come to the conclusion that I am a huge moron. For some stupid reason I decided to turn the console from the horizontal to the vertical with a disc being read.

That is what NOT to do, it even said so in the instruction booklet =D. Mine is vertically now, and there really is no reason for me to put the 360 console horizontally. Even my Wii is vertical, which fits perfectly in my TV stand case. I think this is somewhat of a reason for me even wasting $30 a on that Intec vertical glow stand that does cooling at the same time, just incase I did knock it over, somehow.

I'm honestly playing other games more than that now, after killing my first target. Hearing I have to do this 9 times out of the many reviews I read was more of a chore than anything else.

You're right about Assasin's Creed. You basically play the same level 9 times over but in three different city's. The city's are nicelly done and running across the roofs and climbing the high buildings is fun though. Every side quest is the same in every city, collect 100 flags here, collect 100 flags there, blablabla. I'm glad I didn't buy this game myself but, instead I got it from a friend for a couple of weeks.

Even if MS won't "give" you a disc, paying for a replacment disc from them is like 20 bucks IIRC---a lot cheaper than re-buying the game.

If you need some more reference when calling to back up your claim to MS that ME is in fact MS's problem when it comes to discs, it says right here: http://masseffect.bioware.com/support/

Might try tasking it back to where you bought it. Same thing happened to my friend with a copy of Gears of War and Gamestop replaced it for him.

Hmm. A buddy bought me ME. I'll have to ask him if he has the receipt. I doubt it.

As for the replacement disk - I'm willing to pay the full price just so that I can play the game tonight. I'm sure it'd take a little while if I could get one from MS.

On another note, are the Mass Effect texture loading issues fixed with any downloadable updates? I'm getting sick of the game looking like it is from the late 90s after I load a savegame or move to a new area.

Edited by meh_cd

PS--that's one more reason I prefer consoles that hold the disc directly when you put them in like a PStwo or DC or GC, not a tray nor slot loader. You could turn the things upside down and they'd be fine. Especially the PStwo--thing has a death-grip on discs.

What about drop-ins that DON'T grip tightly?

Okay, so admittedly it's not a common design anymore. But my SegaCD2 needs approval. :p

Does anyone here experience their Xbox 360 shutting down after maybe 20 minutes of inactivity if you are in the dashboard and don't touch anything? I don't have the auto shut down enabled, but mine just completely shuts down and wondered if its a built in mechanism. I bought this Elite just on December 17th or so.

Mine doesn't do this, but to be honest I never leave my system on unless I'm actively playing a game or downloading something. The Guilty Gear 2 download took about 25 minutes, but my screen only dimmed. Like you, I disabled auto shut down. Mine is a Premium that I got in September.

Also, as posted above, my Live username is Delicious Bunny.

"Delicious Bunny?" Oh boy, do you get a lot of snide remarks when you play H3 on Live?

On another note, are the Mass Effect texture loading issues fixed with any downloadable updates? I'm getting sick of the game looking like it is from the late 90s after I load a savegame or move to a new area.

There is no DLC yet for Mass Effect, but texture pop-in is near the top of the request list. More conversations and more romances are also up there.