The Xbox 360 Thread Elite Edition

well, I'd rather leave it alone and let MS replace it rather than monkey around with it and be out 350 bucks when/if it breaks.

You don't need to spend $350 on another Pro. You already have a hard drive, headset, wireless controller, etc. The Core system is like, what, $250? $270? The minute I can buy a 360 for $200 I officially consider it worthwhile to just buy another one.

You don't need to spend $350 on another Pro. You already have a hard drive, headset, wireless controller, etc. The Core system is like, what, $250? $270? The minute I can buy a 360 for $200 I officially consider it worthwhile to just buy another one.

meh, 250 dollars is a lot to pay just to have uninterrupted 360 fun. I can wait a month while MS fixes mine. 250 buys me another another yamato macross toy, or a wii.

Edited by eugimon

I would have gladly waited (if it was an option) to get MY 360 back, instead of someone else's refurbed unit.

Another option I'd like to see is to voluntarily send in 360's for upgrades. After I beat Bioshock, there's nothing I really need to play until AC6/MassEffect. I could be without it easily for a few weeks---I'd like to send it in and get the new heatsink, and a newer, quieter DVD drive. And HDMI while I'm at it. I would GLADLY pay whatever outrageous price MS would charge for it (so long as it's less than a new core system)--I just want it done. But I can't even undo a screw on the case without voiding the warranty.

Is anyone else hooked on Pacman C.E. anywhere NEAR as much as I am? I love that freakin' game!

Me and a friend have a bit of a score rivalry going right now (with me currently in the lead at 287k), so that's one big reason I've been playing so much. But it's just a hell of a lot of fun!

I just need to find a way to use a real arcade joystick with it...

I just need to find a way to use a real arcade joystick with it...

There's a nice joystick coming out for VF5, which I'd recommend picking up. The DoA sticks command a hefty price nowadays. I'm sitting on the parts to make my own stick (good quality stick, controller circuitboard, everything else) but haven't gotten around to putting it together. Now that the VF5 is on the horizon, I'm not sure if I ever will, either.

There's a nice joystick coming out for VF5, which I'd recommend picking up. The DoA sticks command a hefty price nowadays. I'm sitting on the parts to make my own stick (good quality stick, controller circuitboard, everything else) but haven't gotten around to putting it together. Now that the VF5 is on the horizon, I'm not sure if I ever will, either.

Yea, I saw that. Kinda tempting...

I've got a Red Octane PS2 joystick with an 8 button layout that I'd love to use with it. I've got a USB adapter for it too, but of course, it doesn't work on the 360.

I'm kinda tempted to hack up a wired 360 controller and just wire in all the switches to it...

Yeah I love Pacman CE! I also have been playing the tar outta FATAL FURY SPECIAL! w00t!

The next time we play this, we need to do a private match so that we can help each other get the 10 wins in a row achievement! :D

As for Pacman CE, if I had a widescreen HD TV I probably would have bought the full version by now, but I have tried the demo and got to admitt that it is pretty slick!

*whew*

After almost 2 weeks of no high speed internet, I finally got my 360 back on Live again last night. I was thrilled to download and play Puzzle Fighter. Anyone else into this game? If so, hit me up. I'm Silent Scope EX. I also tremendously enjoy racing in Forza 2, but have yet to run any ranked races.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the XCM XFPS Pro adapter?

Linky

I have read a lot of trash about the original adapter not having the ability to adjust its mouse deadzone (a major no-no) and thus not being worth the money. This Pro version looks to have wheels which control the sensitivity of the X and Y axis deadzones, so I wonder if this is a good fix? I had the Smart Joy FRAG for the original Xbox and it was simply fantastic because it was customizable and cheap (~$30). This XFPS is neither (~$90)... but I utterly refuse to play Halo with a pad ever again.

One clever person figured out that by connecting the XFPS to the 360, then connecting the PS2 version of the Smart Joy FRAG into the XFPS, and then connecting a mouse into the FRAG, you could completely solve the deadzone problems. If the Pro version is a solution unto itself, though, then I'd give it a shot.

List has been updated with Axelay's name. Anyone else want to be added?

Looks like it's time for a new 360 thread! :p Downloaded Rush'n Attack last night. Nice to have the flame thrower that was absent in the NES version. :D

And as a few have suggested below, I am going to start a master list of everyone on macross World who is on Xbox Live. I'll update the list as more post to this thread. The name on the left will be Macross World ID's while names on the right will be their Live alias:

Apollo Leader - Apollo Leader

Chowser - Sarge051

Mechafan - TechGhostR6

BoBe-Patt - bobe patt

Sephiroth - Sephiroth017

MilkManX - MilkManX

Dante74 - Lorenzo74

David Hingtgen - Xenogears Id

Valkyrie - Valkyrie2036

Axelay - Silent Scope EX

List has been updated with Axelay's name. Anyone else want to be added?

Qaztab - Alpha OTS

The guy who said he'd dl Puzzle Fighter to play with me chickened out after the demo AI ate him for lunch, so I'd really like to play this with someone else and try the 3-4 player modes.

God-freaking-dammit. I wake up this afternoon to see my 360 RROD-ing. What're the patterns and what do they mean again? What's the warranty on these damned things? My unit is a replacement that I received in January of '06-I thought I heard somewhere that all 360's had their warranties expanded to 3 years? I wonder if I'll be able to have this thing replaced or serviced.

I wasn't planning on buying a PS3, although at this point I may not have a choice...

Okay, here's the list from page 1 in its 9/9/07 updates form.

Again, name on the left is the Macross World alias while the name to the right is the Xbox Live alias.

Looks like some of you are playing right now. :)

Looks like it's time for a new 360 thread! :p Downloaded Rush'n Attack last night. Nice to have the flame thrower that was absent in the NES version. :D

And as a few have suggested below, I am going to start a master list of everyone on macross World who is on Xbox Live. I'll update the list as more post to this thread. The name on the left will be Macross World ID's while names on the right will be their Live alias:

Chowser - Sarge051

Mechafan - TechGhostR6

BoBe-Patt - bobe patt

Sephiroth - Sephiroth017

MilkManX - MilkManX

Dante74 - Lorenzo74

Valkyrie - Valkyrie2036

Axelay - Silent Scope EX

JsARCLIGHT - JsARCLIGHT

Oihan (Oyan) - Ashmedai

Alpha OTS - Qaztab

Fort Max - Angst O Tron

Just realized that mikeszekely wasn't on this list. :)

Chowser - Sarge051

Mechafan - TechGhostR6

BoBe-Patt - bobe patt

Sephiroth - Sephiroth017

MilkManX - MilkManX

Dante74 - Lorenzo74

Valkyrie - Valkyrie2036

Axelay - Silent Scope EX

JsARCLIGHT - JsARCLIGHT

Oihan (Oyan) - Ashmedai

Alpha OTS - Qaztab

Fort Max - Angst O Tron

mikeszekely - Pharaohman

I'm pasting this from a different board with some edits because I'm interested in what the forum people here think.

I picked up Star Trek Legacy for the 360 over a week ago. I think I had avoided it before because I had thought that it was the Star Trek Robotron title everyone was talking about at release time. After recently watching Trek 6 I thought I'd try out the 360 demo anyway because I was in a Trek mood. Boy, how did I miss this title? It's the complete opposite of 2d Robotron(not that Robotron's bad, it's just not what I was in the mood for).

If you go in expecting Wing Commander, Colony Wars or even Ace Combat, you're going to hate every second of this. The combat's set up like pre-industrial navy warships in space, which is pretty much what the battles in the movies and most of the shows were, and what I was in the mood for playing. You get your ships to circle a target and only when your ship is at the proper angle and range can it acquire a weapons lock and fire, just as if it were an old wooden ship with cannons on each side. The strategy seems to come in where you issue commands to each of the ships in your fleet, as to what their target is and management of their energy and repair systems to compensate for damage taken. You can pilot any ship, but like I said above, the control's nothing like Colony Wars. The ships turn slow and sometimes facing a foe directly isn't always the best angle of combat for that ship. The battles play out a lot like what you would see in an episode or movie, which I really like, but isn't going to be many gamer's cup of tea. I'm over 2/3's of the way through the game, and it seems the better you are at knowing where and what each ship in your fleet is doing, the easier it is to complete the mission. The default AI left on it's own isn't too bad, but I've had times where I lost track of a ship, so I toggled to it to see what it was doing and found it was just sitting there away from the battle twiddling its thumbs.

Have I mentioned the ships look fantastic? Because they do. They're all well represented, and the way the missions play out, they give you new(later era) ones to buy/fly as you progress. The planets could look a little better, but are adequate. Sound and music effects are typical Trek. Yeah, there's some wonky physics going on with ships bouncing off of each other or off of planets instead of crashing, but after playing most of this, I think it'd be really frustrating if they did crash or take damage from impact. Especially with the scout class ships which zip around pretty quickly and require really close range for weapons lock.

The biggest surprise was going through the extras. I guess this had a proper story with cinematics at one point. The story's still here, just without the cinematics and I'm kind of glad they dropped it because the stills with dialogue don't gel very well with the graphics in the gameplay. You never see any characters , but you do hear the actual captain's voice of your Trek ship and the character that is talking always has their ship is in frame. Most missions open just like your typical Trek episode with the blue Trek font mission name in quotes. Anyway, the big surprise is that V'ger created the Borg. Yep, you heard it. I had to do a double take to make sure I heard and saw what I did. Is this canon?

It was worth the $40 to me, although I'm sure I could have found it far cheaper on ebay but wasn't in the mood for waiting after playing the demo(a fool and his money and what not). Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on it now that we're well outside the game release and most people have either tried or finished it?

Played the demo and didn't like it at all (and I'm a huge Trek fan, especially the Excelsior class). But anyways---V'Ger and Borg go back to the novel "The Return" which is I think the first of the ones Shatner wrote. May not be canon, but I think it's more accepted than other novels "'cuz Kirk wrote it". :)

Played the demo and didn't like it at all (and I'm a huge Trek fan, especially the Excelsior class). But anyways---V'Ger and Borg go back to the novel "The Return" which is I think the first of the ones Shatner wrote. May not be canon, but I think it's more accepted than other novels "'cuz Kirk wrote it". :)

Yeah. I guess at one point the Borg tried to assimilate Spock, however since Spock had already mind melded with V'Ger he was already considered a part of the collective. The "Return" series isn't too shabby...

Only problem I have with that is that VGer was already way superior to anything the Borg had, including his probes. He'd be m ore likely to blast them out of existence for having the audacity to include bio-components in their mechanical, than to create them.

Though if they do make another current era Trek, I'd love to see Vger pop back into this dimension, and take out all the borg for beign so freakin' overused.

Hell, if VGer were to give birth to any trek species, I'd think it would be Q.

Only problem I have with that is that VGer was already way superior to anything the Borg had, including his probes.

I can't speak for the game, but the way I remember the Shanter books was that V'Ger didn't become all god-like until after it had encountered the Borg. The movie really only says that V'Ger wound up on the far side of the galaxy, and that a mechanical race improved/rebuilt V'Ger so it could continue its mission to "learn all that is learnable." As it explored the galaxy, V'Ger continued to evolve and gain sentience.

And while Shatner expounded on the idea of V'Ger having wound up on the Borg homeworld, it was actually Roddenberry himself who suggested it in an interview, according to Memory Alpha.

Edited by mikeszekely

I can't speak for the game, but the way I remember the Shanter books was that V'Ger didn't become all god-like until after it had encountered the Borg. The movie really only says that V'Ger wound up on the far side of the galaxy, and that a mechanical race improved/rebuilt V'Ger so it could continue its mission to "learn all that is learnable." As it explored the galaxy, V'Ger continued to evolve and gain sentience.

And while Shatner expounded on the idea of V'Ger having wound up on the Borg homeworld, it was actually Roddenberry himself who suggested it in an interview, according to Memory Alpha.

Shatner made V'Ger a different "species" of Borg. It was part of the collective, but not the same part we know and love.

It assimilated by "digitizing" instead of the more personal approach favored by other "races."

Given the differences(assimilation technique being the biggie, since Next Gen did it surgically and the later ones used the less plausable, but faster and scarier, nanobots) between Next Gen Borg and Voyager/First Contact/Enterprise* Borg, the idea of muliple kinds of Borg gains a bit more weight.

Overall, I wasn't very fond of Shatner's Trek books, though.

'Specially when he started claiming Starfleet made hacking the program the INTENDED solution to the Kobiyashi Maru.

*WHY? We had a chance to take a break after being COMPLETELY Borged out by Voyager. I think I actually said at the premiere that one of the good points of a prequel was they COULDN'T do another Borg episode.

And they HAVE to work in a Borg episode anyways! That does NOTHING for the story, since Q introduced humanity to the Borg at the same time Enterprise scheduled the Borg to find out about us.

Microsoft's Pre-TGS announced some awesome stuff tonight. Rez HD and Ikaruga for XBLA. Ninja Gaiden 2 announced as well, and a release date for Gundam Operation Troy (later this year-- at least in Japan). Nothing amazing, but Rez and Ikaruga for XBLA is really awesome.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/microsoft-tokyo-p...sser-298901.php

You mean... there are games other than Halo 3 coming out? :unsure: