The MW Automotive Thread 3.0

I HAD a 94 Supra Twin Turbo 6Speed Targa red with biscuit interior. Mine was bone stock, it was awesome fast in a straight line but sucked around corners. Parts for the Supra's are expensive, i don't care how cheap you get the car for (and at the time i got mine pretty cheap), any of the good stuff you'll want to do to it is going to cost big bucks. I just wanted to replace the 3rd gear synchro (mine was bad) and just the parts alone were over 500 bucks; i was better off just buying a whole jdm transmission. The Supra was unique in that it's one of the few cars we got in the US that can be considered a Japanese "status" car due to its popularity and media attention. Outside of that though, i can say that there are much better cars out there if you keep an open mind, i've got quite the love affair with sports sedans and find their practicality and civil manners to be a fair trade when considering performance/price/practicality.

I'm not sure what you mean by same price (as the Supra?), but if you're comparing other cars to the Supra the only car i can say can match wits with it end to end is the new 335i. It has almost the exact same setup, 3.0L Twin Turbo RWD, except the added refinement of german engineering (which IMO means nothing, but in this case, the motor is fantastically engineered) with variable cam timing and direct injection as an added bonus along with the option of both coupe, sedan, and AWD (IMO the best of the 335 series is the 335xi sedan, it weighs the same as the coupe has the same motor but you get AWD and two extra doors as an extra bonus). Furthermore, with a few vishnu engineering parts, your 335 will undoubtedly smoke an e92 M3. Also if looks is not a priority, scope the soon to arrive 135i, it has the same motor/drivetrain as the 335i coupe but they gave it a LSD so it hooks up better and it weighs a couple hundred pounds less, would also make a formidable drift car if someone had that intent.

If you're looking for just a great Japanese car for a great price, i'd buy an RX-8, in fact, you should go test drive one. They're not the best looking car on the market (subjective) but their road manners and track performance are out of this world. What sweetens the deal is you can get a 2004/5 model with less than 20,000 miles for $16k-17k; that's nearly half what it MSRPs for new. In fact, i found one on a forum, touring model with the red/black interior with every package imaginable for $17k, it had 20k miles, this is also a RWD car with a few upgrades can be made into a drift/autox/street car. I'd say the FC and FD RX-7's so long as you upgrade to the newer JDM 13B since the 13B's we got blow up. Or do a lot of research and upgrade them properly, a lot of people use aftermarket or cast iron apex seals, no synthetic oil (or they'll do a mix), they'll upgrade a lot of the parts to the newer type JDM parts since in Japan the FD's (i forget what year, i think it was 96 and newer?) got a revised 13B-REW which fixed a lot of the reliability issues that the USDM models were plagued with.

This post has gone on too long, just research your options; basically any RWD car with the right parts will make for a good drift car, just try not to get a car that is balanced really well 'cause you won't be able to drift them without costly suspension mods (i.e.: Miata, S2000), i'm personally more into autoX and if it weren't so expensive, i'd love to get into Rally (looks like so much dangerous fun).

wow thanks for the info. since I am on a budget "at the moment", al go for the fc, matter of fact my brother has one in the garage, with a rebuilt engine, a set of enkies, and he is currently puting in a new clutch. Its a gxl, but heres what caught my attention. He needs it gone because he owes my other brother money, I saw him put a post for $950, I think I can get for $500. It will need some visual work, but that wont be too much (replace fender, and a new paint job).

wow thanks for the info. since I am on a budget "at the moment", al go for the fc, matter of fact my brother has one in the garage, with a rebuilt engine, a set of enkies, and he is currently puting in a new clutch. Its a gxl, but heres what caught my attention. He needs it gone because he owes my other brother money, I saw him put a post for $950, I think I can get for $500. It will need some visual work, but that wont be too much (replace fender, and a new paint job).

no dice "sigh" the post was a month old, and he finally realized the value of the car. I guess Im still playing the waiting game.

Sebring 12hr rapidly approaches. P1, GT1 classes will no doubt be a snooze-fest; Porsche and Acura should keep things interesting in P2. Here's hoping that the GT2 class will provide some exciting racing like they did last year:

Hollywood couldn't have scripted a more exciting finish--in fact, if they did, it would be all CGI and melodramatic-actors-screaming-at-the-camera suckage.

The Ford GT will [finally] make its debut in American racing. Too bad it will have been AFTER the car officially went out of production. The Swedes have already shown that the GT is capable of winning races, across the pond in FIA GT3. Wonder if Robinson Racing/Doran will have worked out all the bugs in time? If nothing else, it will have brought more marques to GT2, make things a little more interesting...

fordgt17.jpg

gtniterace.jpg

winterfest08002.jpg

winterfest08003.jpg

I like it, but like the GTO, it'd probably be a hard sell here in the states, especially if it were released as a Pontiac. Personally, I think GM needs to bring some euro brand recognition over to the states by ditching Saturn and starting Opel (a lot of Saturn's lineup are already Opel's anyhow).

Seems everyone likes the G8 (Holden Commodore), even the pro-Europe auto mags. Good odds on this being a 2010 or 2011 GTO.

PS--G8 is out and for sale in the US now. Monday was about the earliest anyone actually owned one. But a lot of states still have none.

Hmm, not too bad. Pretty good starting point--the c-pillar does look a bit Scion-ish though.

Meh, never mind. The crack-smoking design monkeys at Pontiac would find a way to fu*k it up... <_<

The G8 GT promises to be a sub $30K [MSRP] muscle sedan for the masses. Coincidentally, Chevy's s'charged Z06 motor is supposed to be a direct bolt-in fit in the G8/Holden's chassis.

Edited by reddsun1

Hmm, not too bad. Pretty good starting point--the c-pillar does look a bit Scion-ish though.

Meh, never mind. The crack-smoking design monkeys at Pontiac would find a way to fu*k it up... <_<

The G8 GT promises to be a sub $30K [MSRP] muscle sedan for the masses. Coincidentally, Chevy's s'charged Z06 motor is supposed to be a direct bolt-in fit in the G8/Holden's chassis.

you mean the Supercharged ZR-1 Motor? it should drop right in bolt for bolt, all of the LS's are interchangeable.

Previously, at the L.A. Auto Show, Hyundai unveiled the Genesis Coupe, but people only got to see the exterior. Today, at the New York International Auto Show, Hyundai brought out a couple of actual working units. The 2010 Genesis Coupe will be available with a choice of two engines: a turbocharged four-cylinder and a 3.8 liter V6. The four-cylinder will churn out an estimated 212 bhp on 87 octane gasoline and 223 bhp on 91 octane. The V6, which is an updated version of the company's Lambda engine (currently used in the Azera), will reportedly boast 306 bhp on regular gasoline and 310 bhp on premium.

The V6 model will beat the Ford Mustang GT as the most affordable sports car with 300+ bhp once it hits showrooms. Hyundai is also looking to have this model compete with the likes of the Infiniti G37. Meanwhile, the turbo four-cylinder is expected to be a hit with the tuner and drifting crowd.

2010-Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-Front-Angle-Top-1920x1440.jpg

2010-Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2010-Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-Rear-Angle-Top-1920x1440.jpg

2010-Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-Dashboard-1920x1440.jpg

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Edited by areaseven

The V6 model will beat the Ford Mustang GT as the most affordable sports car with 300+ bhp once it hits showrooms.

Horsepower figures are a funny thing. I'd like to see Hyundai make this boast, then get asked the question of where in the RPM range this horsepower comes on/is sustained. Of course the question of torque is something of a different matter. The turbo four interests me with regard to the strength of the factory engine internals; cranking up the boost may make this an interesting ride for those so inclined.

While Hyundai's Genesis Coupe is poised to compete with the Ford Mustang, Infiniti G37 and other rear-wheel-drive coupes in the market, Kia unveiled their answer to the Honda Civic Si Coupe and Mitsubishi Eclipse. Dubbed the "KOUP," this coupe is powered by a twin turbo 2.0 I-4 with an output of 290 bhp and 289 lb-ft torque.

Unfortunately, it's front-wheel-drive, which means it will have overwhelming torque steer. Nevertheless, Kia has done something thought to have been impossible: design a decent-looking car.

2008-Kia-Koup-Concept-Front-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2008-Kia-Koup-Concept-Rear-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2008-Kia-Koup-Concept-Dashboard-1920x1440.jpg

2008 Kia KOUP Concept

Edited by areaseven

I have to agree on that Huyndai. Screaming chickens suddenly don't seem so invincible...