The MW Automotive Thread 3.0

ok, I try not to post on this thread because it would involve too much but I couldnt resist. I love evrything japanese, that includes macross, cars, girls, culture, and food, but do you know what I like alot is the nissan silvia (espicialy the 180sx and the s15) line up and the skylines. here is one of my heros Nob (no one better) Taniguchi and his three red's

more info on nobs silvias

post-4019-1203751775_thumb.jpg

hey dead ghost! are you going to buy an s13 to drift?

I was known for doing some pretty reckless stuff (its what I get for having mr. Isamu dyson as my hero):o by the canyons and the mountains, but not realy if anything I might got to the track, its better to be safe...so I have learned. Honestly I really dont know, depends on how things go. Just curious, why do you ask.

Edited by deadghost

deadghost, just wonder where u at?

how do those S's drive? weren't the JDM and US versions different?

I live in southern california, haciendia heights, 91745. I honestly never driven one, but I have multiple friends that have one, and I have only heard good things, nothing less. Its a great car from every tuners perspective. Its cheap too and so are the brand name performance parts.

As for your last question. We in the states only have the simple 240sx with the non turbo engine "SR". The good people in japan have the better version known as the silvia with the better engine and cosmitic looks. There are different versions ex.180sx. They dont allow the lastest silvia known as the s15 (dont quote me on the date) that began production in 1999 to be imported (you can, but its a lot of work) here in the states for many reasons. People in the states do engine swaps and front end conversions, but I dont consider them to be TRUE Silvia's

Edited by deadghost

Actually, deadghost, we don't even have the non-turboed "SR" engine in the 240SX. The American version of the Silvia, err 240SX has the KA25DE. In the US only the 200SX, Infiniti G20, and the Sentra had the non-turbo SR20DE in them, and that was as a FWD format.

Sadly, I'm about to give up on getting myself an S-14, as most of the ones around me are priced out of my price range. I made the mistake of passing one up about two years ago merely because it was an automatic. To add insult to injury, I actually wound up meeting the guy who bought that very car about a year after I passed it up. He actually wound up converting it to manual and was in the process of saving up the money to do the engine swap.

I had a z32 back in college, it was quick and handling was great as long as the road was dry. back then the 240sx were the best handling car in its class up until they stop selling them here, actually handling was better than the z. I have never driven one either, but knew a couple of people had them and rode in their cars sometimes.

I'm in the deep south so the weather is very nice (hot) a lot, drifting is not big around there if anything *legal*. lately some street race ran over a couple of people in the area, so police is watching everyone.

I think Sivlia's and the last gen GTR's are one of the most handsome car nissan ever made.

Actually, deadghost, we don't even have the non-turboed "SR" engine in the 240SX. The American version of the Silvia, err 240SX has the KA25DE. In the US only the 200SX, Infiniti G20, and the Sentra had the non-turbo SR20DE in them, and that was as a FWD format.

Sadly, I'm about to give up on getting myself an S-14, as most of the ones around me are priced out of my price range. I made the mistake of passing one up about two years ago merely because it was an automatic. To add insult to injury, I actually wound up meeting the guy who bought that very car about a year after I passed it up. He actually wound up converting it to manual and was in the process of saving up the money to do the engine swap.

true in fact, but many people I know get there hands on sr20 red & black tops that come with a turbo, of course this is all a swap they order, of course it is illegal to have one under your hood, some people take it to the next level and put in a rb25 or 26 (choking on drool) :ph34r: .

You can also thank movies and animes that we have come to know as fast and the furious and initial D. :angry: for the outrages price for 240's here in the states.

I was known for doing some pretty reckless stuff (its what I get for having mr. Isamu dyson as my hero):o by the canyons and the mountains, but not realy if anything I might got to the track, its better to be safe...so I have learned. Honestly I really dont know, depends on how things go. Just curious, why do you ask.

people buy the s13's usually for drifting, its cheap to start with and its RWD.

240sx has the ka24de engine. so how much does a decent s14 cost now? i bought mine for $5000 4 rys ago

240sx has the ka24de engine. so how much does a decent s14 cost now? i bought mine for $5000 4 rys ago

About 2800 to 4000 should be right there, depending what comes with it. Thats a little too much if anything they should be cheaper back then since they are not in high demand as they are today. Did it have mods, anything special, or was it stock . I plan on purchasing a s13 hatch for under 2grand with possibly a sr20, under 1500 possibly with out, but I do not care for paint, mods, etc(I like to do things myself, one step at a time). as long as its a stick, good trany and has a decent engine until I can swap one from it. Or al spend a little over 2500 and get something with some great engine work and save myself some money since you loose half of what you spend when you sell your car with mods. I always look on forums, people cant BS about what they have or what its worth since you are selling it to the experts.

best forum for silvia's, and to buy ones too

Edited by deadghost

it had mods like the tanabe pro dd's, 5zigen typhoons +25 offsets etc. but theres no turbo.

OUCH MAN. thats a little too much if anything they should be cheaper back then since they are not in high demand as they are today. Did it have mods, anything special, or was it stock (type, and year). I plan on purchasing one for under 2grand with possibly a sr20, under 1500 possibly with out, but I do not care for paint, mods, etc(I like to do things myself, one step at a time). as long as its a stick, good trany and has a decent engine until I can swap one from it. Or al spend a little over 2500 and get something with some great engine work and save myself some money since you loose half of what you spend when you sell your car with mods. I always look on forums, people cant BS about what they have or what its worth since you are selling it to the experts.

best forum for silvia's, and to buy ones too

I am asking this because I am in a country with no Yank Mobiles.

How does a cheap Mustang/Camaro compare with the S13/14/1st Gen Cefiros/RWD Corollas for drifting fun?

Well......when it comes to american muscle and drifting, it does not work out, there all power and low stability and handling(I say that with respect, dont want to start anything). with a few exceptions of the modern mustang that is part of Team FALKEN, and the Redbull SOLSTICE or the Doge Viper I rarely see due to its price. To put a american muscle car in drifting will require you to redo everything,AND IT IS NOT CHEAP, kinda like putting a 240sx in a 5sec drag, there all made for different things. I personally like japanese imports like the rx-7 fd, silvias, skylines etc because they remind me of the valks. Like I say to the muscle head who wont leave me alone in class "just because it is fast, does not make it better", control and stability is just as important.

Edited by deadghost

it had mods like the tanabe pro dd's, 5zigen typhoons +25 offsets etc. but theres no turbo.

That might make up for the price, I was a little worried there, but keep in mind usually when some one sells there car with used mods depending on what it is, you should get a price break on it, for 2 reasons one it is used, and the other is they are trying to get rid of it, kinda like adding frosting to the cake to a half eaten cake. I dont want to see a mac member get ripped or anything like that.

Well......when it comes to american muscle and drifting, it does not work out, there all power and low stability and handling(I say that with respect, dont want to start anything). with a few exceptions of the modern mustang that is part of Team FALKEN, and the Redbull SOLSTICE or the Doge Viper I rarely see due to its price. To put a american muscle car in drifting will require you to redo everything,AND IT IS NOT CHEAP, kinda like putting a 240sx in a 5sec drag, there all made for different things. I personally like japanese imports like the rx-7 fd, silvias, skylines etc because they remind me of the valks. Like I say to the muscle head who wont leave me alone in class "just because it is fast, does not make it better", control and stability is just as important.

So in a nutshell, their tails will kick out easily but its not as controllable?

So in a nutshell, their tails will kick out easily but its not as controllable?

I wonder how an 03-04 Cobra would handle drifting? The reason I ask is because it does have and IRS.

Oh come on. There's nothing inherently different about Japanese RWD sports cars that make them better drifters, they're just the popular cars to drift with. Put a limited slip in a Mustang/Camaro/Any RWD with decent power and you'll be able to drift.

Drifting is not some magical super technique that only Japanese cars can perform well. Yeesh.

Oh come on. There's nothing inherently different about Japanese RWD sports cars that make them better drifters, they're just the popular cars to drift with. Put a limited slip in a Mustang/Camaro/Any RWD with decent power and you'll be able to drift.

Drifting is not some magical super technique that only Japanese cars can perform well. Yeesh.

I am not saying they are inferior but I would rather trust a 240 or a rx-7 fc stock campared to a old school mustang or any american car of that caliber. There is a reason why you dont see "too many" american classics on the D1'S. But like I said before you can make a mustang or a Solstice a great drift mobile. Matter of fact the sears team that runs a sturn sky is one of my favorites becuase it is something (how should I say) unorthodox.

Edited by deadghost

I am not saying they are inferior but I would rather trust a 240 or a rx-7 fc stock campared to a old school mustang or any american car of that caliber. There is a reason why you dont see "too many" american classics on the D1'S.

Most 240sx's or 2nd gen RX7's dont have LSD's, so they wouldn't be good at drifting either.

Yes. The fancier 2nd gen's had LSD's. Most of them didn't though. Notice how I said MOST.

Toushai :lol: yellow light man, Notice how I said PARTIALLY RIGHT AND PARTIALLY WRONG. Listen I dont want debate or make things more complex, like how things happen on the auto fourms (you can create more enemys then friends). And I dont want to build animosity towards a fellow mac member. It was really fun on how I got to do some Q's AND A's, and people here are more relax and cool. I just want to keep it that way. But your good al give you that.

Edited by deadghost

Mustang's and Camaro's make great drift cars, so do 3-series BMW's, LSD or not. It has a lot more to do with weight distribution, driving technique, and tires, and in that regard any of the cars mentioned are great drifting cars with different characteristics. The japanese cars since they're smaller, lighter and usually have better weight distribution have a narrower angle of drift than the american cars but are no more or less controllable, that's all based on the tires and the driver. The only reason you don't see as many American cars as drifters is because most American's are too busy turning rice rockets into drift cars instead of using their brain and utilizing what is more easily available. You can get Mustang's dirt cheap, and old 3 series BMW's will cost a little more up front, but you'll spend a lot less on parts later since their motors are bullet proof. I could continue on the debate, but it's subjective so everyone's right.

As for the 240SX/Silvia, our S13 240SX Hatchback is the equivalent body of a 180SX but with a KA24DE motor (truck motor) which now after much research and debate is considered no better/worse than the SR20 since it uses a stronger cast iron block and has higher displacement for better torque once force induced. The 240SX notch back is the equivalent body as the S13 Silvia but retains the 180SX front end (pop up headlights). The S14 Silvia and second gen 240SX have identical bodies and we still get the KA24DE no SR20DET. I found a Kouki S14 (sharp eyed S14) on craigslist not too long ago for 3800, so you can still find them cheap if you really want one.

Mustang's and Camaro's make great drift cars, so do 3-series BMW's, LSD or not. It has a lot more to do with weight distribution, driving technique, and tires, and in that regard any of the cars mentioned are great drifting cars with different characteristics. The japanese cars since they're smaller, lighter and usually have better weight distribution have a narrower angle of drift than the american cars but are no more or less controllable, that's all based on the tires and the driver. The only reason you don't see as many American cars as drifters is because most American's are too busy turning rice rockets into drift cars instead of using their brain and utilizing what is more easily available. You can get Mustang's dirt cheap, and old 3 series BMW's will cost a little more up front, but you'll spend a lot less on parts later since their motors are bullet proof. I could continue on the debate, but it's subjective so everyone's right.

As for the 240SX/Silvia, our S13 240SX Hatchback is the equivalent body of a 180SX but with a KA24DE motor (truck motor) which now after much research and debate is considered no better/worse than the SR20 since it uses a stronger cast iron block and has higher displacement for better torque once force induced. The 240SX notch back is the equivalent body as the S13 Silvia but retains the 180SX front end (pop up headlights). The S14 Silvia and second gen 240SX have identical bodies and we still get the KA24DE no SR20DET. I found a Kouki S14 (sharp eyed S14) on craigslist not too long ago for 3800, so you can still find them cheap if you really want one.

thanks for the info, I am actually learning something everyday. Your file says you had 94 supra twin turbo :ph34r:, how is it, and how much.

Also what do you think would be a great japanese car that I can get my hands on for the same price and the same caliber, excluding hondas, levins, ae86, and the mr2.

Edited by deadghost

From the same guy who gave you the 2007 Ferrari Dino Concept Design comes this special Corvette concept design. However, unlike the Dino Concept, the Z03 will actually see a limited production of roughly 100 units. Quite frankly, it's not a bad design; it's just that it doesn't feel like a Corvette, despite the use of the C6 chassis and some Stingray styling cues.

2009-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z03-Concept-by-Ugur-Sahin-Design-Studio-Side-Top-1920x1440.jpg

2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z03 Concept by Ugur Sahin Design

thanks for the info, I am actually learning something everyday. Your file says you had 94 supra twin turbo :ph34r:, how is it, and how much.

Also what do you think would be a great japanese car that I can get my hands on for the same price and the same caliber, excluding hondas, levins, ae86, and the mr2.

I HAD a 94 Supra Twin Turbo 6Speed Targa red with biscuit interior. Mine was bone stock, it was awesome fast in a straight line but sucked around corners. Parts for the Supra's are expensive, i don't care how cheap you get the car for (and at the time i got mine pretty cheap), any of the good stuff you'll want to do to it is going to cost big bucks. I just wanted to replace the 3rd gear synchro (mine was bad) and just the parts alone were over 500 bucks; i was better off just buying a whole jdm transmission. The Supra was unique in that it's one of the few cars we got in the US that can be considered a Japanese "status" car due to its popularity and media attention. Outside of that though, i can say that there are much better cars out there if you keep an open mind, i've got quite the love affair with sports sedans and find their practicality and civil manners to be a fair trade when considering performance/price/practicality.

I'm not sure what you mean by same price (as the Supra?), but if you're comparing other cars to the Supra the only car i can say can match wits with it end to end is the new 335i. It has almost the exact same setup, 3.0L Twin Turbo RWD, except the added refinement of german engineering (which IMO means nothing, but in this case, the motor is fantastically engineered) with variable cam timing and direct injection as an added bonus along with the option of both coupe, sedan, and AWD (IMO the best of the 335 series is the 335xi sedan, it weighs the same as the coupe has the same motor but you get AWD and two extra doors as an extra bonus). Furthermore, with a few vishnu engineering parts, your 335 will undoubtedly smoke an e92 M3. Also if looks is not a priority, scope the soon to arrive 135i, it has the same motor/drivetrain as the 335i coupe but they gave it a LSD so it hooks up better and it weighs a couple hundred pounds less, would also make a formidable drift car if someone had that intent.

If you're looking for just a great Japanese car for a great price, i'd buy an RX-8, in fact, you should go test drive one. They're not the best looking car on the market (subjective) but their road manners and track performance are out of this world. What sweetens the deal is you can get a 2004/5 model with less than 20,000 miles for $16k-17k; that's nearly half what it MSRPs for new. In fact, i found one on a forum, touring model with the red/black interior with every package imaginable for $17k, it had 20k miles, this is also a RWD car with a few upgrades can be made into a drift/autox/street car. I'd say the FC and FD RX-7's so long as you upgrade to the newer JDM 13B since the 13B's we got blow up. Or do a lot of research and upgrade them properly, a lot of people use aftermarket or cast iron apex seals, no synthetic oil (or they'll do a mix), they'll upgrade a lot of the parts to the newer type JDM parts since in Japan the FD's (i forget what year, i think it was 96 and newer?) got a revised 13B-REW which fixed a lot of the reliability issues that the USDM models were plagued with.

This post has gone on too long, just research your options; basically any RWD car with the right parts will make for a good drift car, just try not to get a car that is balanced really well 'cause you won't be able to drift them without costly suspension mods (i.e.: Miata, S2000), i'm personally more into autoX and if it weren't so expensive, i'd love to get into Rally (looks like so much dangerous fun).

Edited by emajnthis