macross subtitles for "Robotech - Macross Saga Complete Series Bo

luckyluca

Hello,

I live in the UK and I found the robotech first 1-36 episodes box set at a great price (hmv, 10 pounds).

Now, I'm a fan of the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross series but I've only watched it on youtube in japanese (and english subs). As you might imagine image and sound quality was way too poor.

Here's my elaborate plan :p :

I'd like to take the video from this 6-dvd box and add original subtitles in, so to at least have the same script and story as the original, wishing that this version is the uncut version.

here are the details of this set:

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/reviews/revi...&User=35825

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robotech-Macross-S...x/dp/B000H5VEPI

Is this idea out of this world?

thanks

Luca

why not just get the Macross disks from Animeigo or ADV? Animeigo has subs and ADV has both subs and dubs.

Agreed. The animego set is pretty cheap these days, and the amount of work you would save yourself is worth the price.

Assuming you have a region-free or region 1 dvd player.

hmmm

It looks like animeigo only posts to North America; I've dropped them an email asking if they deliver to the uk as well, but from the look of their faq page it seems unlikely :o

I just believe there aren't many options for us leaving in the UK (

that's why I thought of adding subs to the widespread robotech extended dvd release. but you all echoed to leave it and try to get hold of the animeigo one :)

Luca

hmmm

It looks like animeigo only posts to North America; I've dropped them an email asking if they deliver to the uk as well, but from the look of their faq page it seems unlikely :o

I just believe there aren't many options for us leaving in the UK (

that's why I thought of adding subs to the widespread robotech extended dvd release. but you all echoed to leave it and try to get hold of the animeigo one :)

Luca

The Robotech.com webstore carries repackaged versions of the Animego release:-

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93

They definitely ship to the UK, my Masterpiece Miriya-1J came to me that way. They use either Fed-Ex or UPS for shipping mind you so it will be relatively expensive to get it shipped, but any trackable shipping is going to cost you anyway.

The other option might be the ADV release - which you can get from a number of sources on-line - www.playusa.com and www.dvdboxoffice.com might be worth trying. It's only available as individual releases, no boxed set as yet, and has subbed Japanese audio and a new English dub on it. (I can't comment on what the dub is like as I haven't heard it but what I have heard around here is a bit mixed).

If you want the lot in one go I would say the repackaged Animego version that Robotech.com has is probably your best bet. At the current exchange rate the price before shipping and customs charges etc is pretty favourable.

Besides - if you tried to sub the Robotech Remastered release you would still have to put up with Reba West attempting to sing (earplugs have never been so welcome). With proper subbed Macross comes proper Macross songs.. :-)

Karl

ok,

I got an email from Animeigo saying that they don't sell macross nor to the uk,

but I've successfully placed an order at robotech store :) hurray!

it'll be 75 dollars all inclusive (excluding import duty); not so bad when converted in pounds...

I'm still a bit upset that I didn't know of it when I purchased the robotech box set....

Anyway the subtitling idea couldn't work as each episode is still cut the robotech way and some sequences have been omitted altogether (example episode 1 the lifting of Hikaru's valkyrie from Linmay's relatives house).

It stated that this was the extended edition but it seems it's not as "extended" as the original macross series...

anyway I guess I'll go straight to ebay... :)

thanks

Luca

p.s.

How do you pay for import dutys?

ok,

I got an email from Animeigo saying that they don't sell macross nor to the uk,

but I've successfully placed an order at robotech store :) hurray!

it'll be 75 dollars all inclusive (excluding import duty); not so bad when converted in pounds...

I'm still a bit upset that I didn't know of it when I purchased the robotech box set....

Anyway the subtitling idea couldn't work as each episode is still cut the robotech way and some sequences have been omitted altogether (example episode 1 the lifting of Hikaru's valkyrie from Linmay's relatives house).

It stated that this was the extended edition but it seems it's not as "extended" as the original macross series...

anyway I guess I'll go straight to ebay... :)

thanks

Luca

p.s.

How do you pay for import dutys?

$75 isn't bad at all. Exchange rate is rather in our favour at the moment which is always nice :-)

I have to say I probably wouldn't personally be in such a rush to ebay the Robotech discs myself - but I'm an oddity that way, there isn't enough of a purist in me to make me rush to dispose of Robotech. Each to theirt own For every thing I dislike about Robotech (and there are more than a few things to dislike) there is something I like (some of the voice actors I think do quite a creditable job). But then, the fact that my copy of "Genesis Climber Mospeada" sits on the shelves right next to my "Robotech:New Generation" discs probably marks me out as a heretic to both camps in any event. I tend to see them as different animals that share some common ancestry, and which one I watch depends very much on my mood.

In terms of paying for Import Duties, what happened last time I ordered something from the Robotech.com store was that I got a letter from the courier firm stating that their were charges to be paid and that they were retaining the item until the charges were paid and allowing me to either phone them up and pay them by credit/debit card or send them payment by cheque. In my case I gave them a ring with my debit card details and sorted it out over the phone. Very straightforward procedure, certainly a lot less hassle than when I have to deal with Parcelforce every so often to ransom back my Valkyries.

In fact the only hitch in the process was that the Robotech.com store didn't provide me with the tracking number for my parcel, meaning I wasn't able to track it until I got the letter from the couriers telling me it was in the country with charges oweing. Slightly annoyed me because I am so used to maintaining a weather eye on the progress of my parcels from HLJ. (Yeah, I'm a bit tragic that way I guess...)

Karl

The solution is actually much simpler than you think. There is a perfectly legit, easily available PAL release of Macross that should suit your needs. I'm assuming that you'll be able to play R4 disc's, as it's my understanding that region free DVD players are quite common in the UK. If so, head on over to:

http://www.madman.com.au/actions/series.do...amp;method=home

That's the Australian release of Macross using the AnimEigo DVD masters & subtitles. As a bonus, they also ship internationally.

Edited by Keith

The solution is actually much simpler than you think. There is a perfectly legit, easily available PAL release of Macross that should suit your needs. I'm assuming that you'll be able to play R4 disc's, as it's my understanding that region free DVD players are quite common in the UK. If so, head on over to:

http://www.madman.com.au/actions/series.do...amp;method=home

That's the Australian release of Macross using the AnimEigo DVD masters & subtitles. As a bonus, they also ship internationally.

Hi Keith, I take the price would be australian dollars...

I think I will stick to the robotech.com store as it ends up being 30-40% cheaper... however ntsc would be lower res than pal...

ntsc = 720x480 x 30fps

pal= 720x576 x 25fps

Thanks guys I'll let you know once I receive the box set!

Luca

Another thing to take into account is that the set on robotech.com is prone to disc cracking, the madman set is not. The price may be a bit more, but you'll have the disc's for a lot longer.

Another thing to take into account is that the set on robotech.com is prone to disc cracking, the madman set is not. The price may be a bit more, but you'll have the disc's for a lot longer.

Actually that is the Animeigo release that is prone to do that, I haven't heard any reports that the RT release of the same discs are doing it. Most likely that the disc stock available to HG /ADV is of a higher quality than those used by Animeigo.

Actually that is the Animeigo release that is prone to do that, I haven't heard any reports that the RT release of the same discs are doing it. Most likely that the disc stock available to HG /ADV is of a higher quality than those used by Animeigo.

The Animeigo & RT.com disc's are the exact same disc's. When the license expired, AnimEigo shipped all remaining inventory to HG. As for disc cracking, examples were found in the original presale disc's, individual release disc's, and 3 disc box sets. There was no specific good/bad batch idenified, and once the license expired, AnimEigo didn't even bother to look into it.

• 3 months later...
Hi Keith, I take the price would be australian dollars...

I think I will stick to the robotech.com store as it ends up being 30-40% cheaper... however ntsc would be lower res than pal...

ntsc = 720x480 x 30fps

pal= 720x576 x 25fps

Thanks guys I'll let you know once I receive the box set!

Luca

Now, I'm all for silly standards elitism(BTW, I see your enhanced resolution and raise you a no flicker and better color depth :p ), but....

I'm ALSO all for viewing media in as close to the native format as possible.

The show was made for NTSC in the first place. The film is made for at NTSC frame rates, and assumes NTSC color and resolution.

I also propose all TVs be sold with a 24, 25, 30, AND 60 FPS mode, for optimum reproduction of all standard framerates.

And that they all be CRT, since you can only truly get variable resolution on CRTs. Frame-doubling can fix flicker.

• 4 weeks later...

:rolleyes:

you can't use robotech to instead macross!

even I still stay on robotech side :) but i have say

you will get different feeling when you watch the two anime.

the most the different is MUSIC! backgroud music I mean

the second is robotech have cut a lot and added other 2

Macross music + Japanese let me feel like that I'm watching gundam...

ROBOTECH 's BGM and english language may more fit the video let you feel it's a war movie

but............... minmei's song in ROBOTECH was totally crap!

(except the song in RT2 the only one i like)

============================

my suggestion: if you want macross

go for ADV's release!

http://www.amazon.com/Macross-Super-Dimens...6547&sr=8-3

it have both japanese and NEW 5.1 MACROSS english 5.1 (I like it! some char's performance in english macross were more cool than robotech ver.) but one thing said... no new english song for minmay

Edited by BeterHans