Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty

As much as I like Starcraft and while I did enjoy Starcraft II beta, I'm gonna have to stay away from the game for now. Yeah, I know what I'm missing out on but there are some things keeping me away from this game.

Edited by shiroikaze

As much as I like Starcraft and while I did enjoy Starcraft II beta, I'm gonna have to stay away from the game for now. Yeah, I know what I'm missing out on but there are some things keeping me away from this game.

Do tell....

Do tell....

First off, no LAN. I know it doesn't affect everyone else but it does matter to me. From what I understand, each copy of Starcraft II is now tied to a battle.net account, right? How does that work out for me and my brother who want to play together but only have one copy of the game? I always dislike the idea of buying extra copies just so the rest of the family can enjoy it together. Probably something that console games mostly have over PC games.

The only exceptions I made happen to be Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead. While I regret getting another copy of Left 4 Dead but wholesomely enjoy Team Fortress 2, I paid substantially less for both games. What I paid ended up short of their retail values, so I'm "okay" with them.

Secondly, retail price. Yes, I know I can easily get it cheaper during the release month (Thanks for the heads up, UN Spacy) but a $60 retail price left a sour taste in my mouth. Not to mention, I'll have to pay two more times for the rest of the trilogy. While Blizzard did state that they're treating the next two games as expansions, I doubt they'll be priced under $60 retail.

Lastly, Blizzard's affiliation with Activision. Mainly seeing how Activision handled the Modern Warfare 2 fiasco ends up being the final nail in the coffin. You wanna destroy customer loyalty and respect, follow their example.

Do I love Starcraft? Yes. Will I buy the game right away? No, but once the Battlechest rolls out then maybe I'll fork over the money. Until then, I'm staying away from the game, unless I succumb to downloading it (or I could watch how the story unfolds via Youtube).

Yes, you could say that I'm just whining and pouting.

Edited by shiroikaze

Despite being teamed with Activision, Blizzard pretty much handles its own business. Not entirely of course, but more or less.

While the next 2 pieces will be "expansions" we are looking at games at least as large as Wings of Liberty so that's around 30 missions for each race (it was around 10 per for the first SC). So even though you could technically call them expansions, it's really more of a trilogy of full fledged titles, so you're probably right there, 50-60 dollars a hit for the next two.

As for the multiplayer, yeah you're pretty much out of luck if you want to play multiplayer with family if you only have a single copy. If I remember right, Korea is getting a multiplayer only option that is free, or at the very least, substantially less than full retail. Perhaps we'll see something of that nature released here as well.

I seriously doubt any SC2 expansions will be $50 or 60. WoW's expansions are huge and still only cost $40.

As for not wanting to buy a second copy of the game to lan it up, well, it wasn't really legit to do that to begin with.

As for Activision, /shrug. MW2 was buggy trash from launch. Infinity Ward is more to blame as far as I am concerned.

If Starcraft 2 actually came out with in 2-3 years of the first one, I would have been all over it. I used to play the original alot with the Protoss. But these days I've drifted far away from traditional RTS games. I don't see anything with SC2 to make me climb back on. It just seems the same but with new graphics. Wonder how it will do in South Korea though. From what I gathered, it's pretty hardcore Starcraft there.

As far as the no LAN support... Why? It disgusts me when I hear developers strip features out from sequels. Oh, Modern Warfare 2, nice of you to come by.

Edited by Warmaker

Despite being teamed with Activision, Blizzard pretty much handles its own business. Not entirely of course, but more or less.

While the next 2 pieces will be "expansions" we are looking at games at least as large as Wings of Liberty so that's around 30 missions for each race (it was around 10 per for the first SC). So even though you could technically call them expansions, it's really more of a trilogy of full fledged titles, so you're probably right there, 50-60 dollars a hit for the next two.

As for the multiplayer, yeah you're pretty much out of luck if you want to play multiplayer with family if you only have a single copy. If I remember right, Korea is getting a multiplayer only option that is free, or at the very least, substantially less than full retail. Perhaps we'll see something of that nature released here as well.

For their relations, I'm pretty sure you're right on the money. Though I'm pretty sure Activision do have some power in some of Blizzard's decisions. I would love to support Blizzard, but I don't want to support Activision. :)

About the Korean version of the game, I believe it's the WoW players that are getting the game for free. We're not going to see that here in the States.

I seriously doubt any SC2 expansions will be $50 or 60. WoW's expansions are huge and still only cost $40.

As for not wanting to buy a second copy of the game to lan it up, well, it wasn't really legit to do that to begin with.

As for Activision, /shrug. MW2 was buggy trash from launch. Infinity Ward is more to blame as far as I am concerned.

Aye, as I may dislike Activision itself, Infinity Ward doesn't come away unscathed either.

Also, I guess I'm a bit more optimistic now that you've brought up the WoW expansions.

As for LAN-play, true, EULA does state that (which I still think is bullshit). I still don't condone being forced to buy additional copies of the same game in a household. However the original Starcraft allowed "Spawned" copies for LAN-play, SCII doesn't seem to have that feature anymore.

Edited by shiroikaze

The funny part with Blizzard's older games was that they specifically asked the user if you wanted to install a spawned copy for such a use. I still remember seeing that option for installations of Diablo, Warcraft 2, and Starcraft. At the time I didn't know what it meant.

Now I'm even more excited :D hope the new episodes don't take as long as Valve does with their game...

Sweet Mother of Mercy!!!

They animated parts of the Sarah Kerrigan black and white animation teaser trailer that's been floating around for the past year or so.

So who's the black haired girl that kissed Raynor. I thought in SC2 he still has a thing for Sarah. Hmmm.....

Also, what the frack is an HEV?

Edited by grss1982

Sweet Mother of Mercy!!!

They animated parts of the Sarah Kerrigan black and white animation teaser trailer that's been floating around for the past year or so.

So who's the black haired girl that kissed Raynor. I thought in SC2 he still has a thing for Sarah. Hmmm.....

Also, what the frack is an HEV?

GO play the game and find out!!! The campaign is all about story, and starcraft and starcraft 2 have great stories, like watching a great movie (but 10X better). After only a few hours of playing, you will have the answer you seek!!! And god diggy damn, that movie clip is one of my favorates, that and the one from the new starwars coming out, with the title hope. I would have to say, having watched that epic clip from starcraft 2, just made the waiting unbearable, and the desire to run to the store the day it came out to get my copy, so much higher, i guess they know how to properly advertize their game.

Man playing on HARD difficulty sure is challenging, and I can't even achieve most of the hard mission achievements.

I am kinda annoyed that the NORMAL achivements won't be gained even if I achieve it in HARD mode. =.=;;

That is some mighty impressive cut scene being rendered by the game engine. Starcraft has come a long way from the little pixel dudes with guns.

It's bit spoilerish, but look at the general does to one of the Zerg. :ph34r:

Reminds me of the first part of Macross Plus, the 4-part version that is. :D Seems like a Macross homage to me. :lol:

Just saw it. Definately a homage :D

Just finished the game....

I don't know....the missions don't quite feel epic enough.....probably because its the 1s of a triology of games when the real sh*t hits the fan

Because of some bad experiences from playing the first one on Battle.net, I'm mostly interested in the campaign. People are really hardcore online.

That's one thing that scares the crap out of me about these RTS games. I consider myself to be a pretty intelligent guy and I am good at video games, but the people who play Starcraft and Warcraft online are f'ing... hard... core... I tried to have at least a marginally successful run when WC3 was popular, but I ended up with a record of like 12-27 in FFA play. Some of those wins were due to people leaving the game too. I decided to stop hating myself enough so I'd keep on playing and moved onto something a little more dainty for my tastes. :p

I hate it that you would have to play the Campaign 10 or more times before you can get all the Research and Mercenary achievements.

Apparently if you want to do it the easy way, collect up to enough cash and go research a single track to gain the achievement, reload ,rinse and repeat.

Or you can do Liberation of Mars Sara (1s mission) a few times, and research what you need and reload.

how do you conserve the cash from one game to another, in fact, how do you repeat the missions. When i go to the screen of all mission already done, i can do them, but i dont get to keep any of the goodies from the missions when redoing them, so whats the trick?

I think the option of going back to redo the missions is strictly for acheivement purposes only. If you got to keep the tech points and credits you earn each time you redo the mission, then you'd be able to fully upgrade everything before you really got into the thick of the game.

how do you conserve the cash from one game to another, in fact, how do you repeat the missions. When i go to the screen of all mission already done, i can do them, but i dont get to keep any of the goodies from the missions when redoing them, so whats the trick?

You can only gain the tech points u missed out and for achievements. You need to finish the campaign and start a new one to get money all over again. I'm not sure if the upgrades from the last game stay with you in the new game or not but i think not.

For now i'm trying to complete all the Hard achievements.