how to make white or coloured panel lines??

Gatsu

Well the standard answer to your question is oil paints thinned with mineral spirits. It acts as a wash and fills in all the tiny panel lines just perfectly. You have to put a coat of clear gloss on first (future floor polish) let that coat dry, then apply the wash, let that dry, then wipe away the excess at a 90 degree angle to the panel line.

This only works with acrylics/non-enamel type paints.

Edited by Grayson72

Well the standard answer to your question is oil paints thinned with mineral spirits. It acts as a wash and fills in all the tiny panel lines just perfectly. You have to put a coat of clear gloss on first (future floor polish) let that coat dry, then apply the wash, let that dry, then wipe away the excess at a 90 degree angle to the panel line.

This only works with acrylics/non-enamel type paints.

thanks for your answer; but i mean panel lining on a smooth surface, like creating lines from nothing with some pencils.

I'd like to add some lines to my 1/5000 arii SDF kit ;)

You can try fine tipped artists pens like Rapidograph brand (Rapidograph are expensive, but there are other cheaper brands of the same style). They are like sharpies, but with better color quality inks. The pens come in lots of different tip sizes, some very fine points are available.

Use a flexible ruler to keep your lines straight and be careful not to smear the lines before they dry. If you have a flat coat, they dry faster, but if you have a gloss coat you can attempt to clean up any mistakes before it dries. You would probably need to seal the lines with a final clear coat too.

Good luck! :)

You can try fine tipped artists pens like Rapidograph brand (Rapidograph are expensive, but there are other cheaper brands of the same style). They are like sharpies, but with better color quality inks. The pens come in lots of different tip sizes, some very fine points are available.

Use a flexible ruler to keep your lines straight and be careful not to smear the lines before they dry. If you have a flat coat, they dry faster, but if you have a gloss coat you can attempt to clean up any mistakes before it dries. You would probably need to seal the lines with a final clear coat too.

But, aren't them just in black ink???

Hi guys, anybody here now how to make white or coloured panel lines on the model??

The Gundam markers colours are too thick and the ultra fine ones are only in black or grey!!

Gatsu,

Ok this is a very simple way of doing pannel lines with great looks

1. First Airbrush your kit with future floor wax ( let it dry for about a day)

This will seal the base paint coat of your kit and give the decals a smooth glossy surface to adhear too.

REMEMBER to clean your Airbursh with Windex! this is amonia that will remove the wax!!

2. add all decals Let them dry also for a day ( use mircosol if you know how to use it)

3. Dip your fine tipped brush in future floor wax and cover the decals ONLY. ONLY a thin coat will be needed

(This will seal the decals) if you put to much you can cover the panel lines

4. OK now go to your local Art supply store and get Artest paints ( the kind in the tubs) you can buy white!

Once this has dried. You take your brush and run along the pannel line. Let the white paint sit on the kit for about 5 min. Then take a paper towel and rub off the excess paint. you will notice that the pannel line is white. IF you rub some of the paint out of the pannel line. thats fine, Repeat and rub off the paint more gental. Let the pannel line sit for about a day once your done. You can go thicker or you can do it lightly. the Furture floor wax has your base coat and decals safe!

WARNING! Some people say USE Linseed oil to thin the artest oil first) NO!!!!!!! DO NOT DO THIS! it will rip the paint off your kit. Just use the artest oil paint natural. Linseed oil is an enamal remover, however it will also rip acryl paints off too!!!

OK once your done. and you have your pannel lines weatering done. Just airbrush the finish coat to the kit. Flat, Matt or Gloss coat.

Your pannel lines will be sealed and nothing can hurt the paint job.

here is an example of my use of the artest oils. I use them to make a kit look dirty at times and fill in pannel lines.

look at the shoulder bicept on my Tomahawk. I used the artest oils on the kit. look for the pannel lines.

Also I used it for the dented blast on the arm. :D

IF you have any questions PM me! I am always able to help anyone on this page.

Ranger565

post-1578-1178307114_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1178307186_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1178307232_thumb.jpg

But, aren't them just in black ink???

No, they come in hundreds of colors and the ink is colorfast meaning it won't fade. White may not be available, but I've seen silver that may work if you put a flat clear coat on afterward. They are designed to work on paper, so the drying time on plastic is sometimes longer, but that can help if you need to clean mistakes.

Here are some that aren't very expensive- http://www.dickblick.com/zz221/27/

Here is a brand I have used in the past, even less expensive- http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/ShowProduct.aspx?p=439232

I've seen several brands in art supply/craft stores, like Michaels or Hobby Lobby, but stores that specialize more in artist supplies will be even better. Look for technical pens.

Ranger, your work is great, but he is looking to create his own fine lines on parts of the model that have no engraved panel lines.

Rapidograph, also known more commonly as a technincal pen, can be loaded with damned near any fine ink you want.

Like this.

Much different from the Sakura and Staedler felt tip fine line pens.

Although they were a little on the expensive side I love my set of Copic Multiliners. Link I've got the whole set and Although the ink is water based I've used them with no problems on some of my kits (base coated of course - never on bare plastic). I particularly like the variety of line widths; the .03 is AMAZING!. But, unfortunately I think there is only black ink available, but I think it might be worth contacting Copic to find out for sure ' cus they are amazing!