Played the early stages of Operation Anchorage and here's my thoughts about it. You can't pick up the gear of the soldiers you kill since right after they're dead, simulation erases them. You have to pick up weapons, ammo and health at specific locations. (there are plenty of those around) You get the gauss rifle pretty early in the game, and it's AWESOME! You have to reload it after each shot so you got to use it carefully, it fires a blue bolt of energy that explodes on contact, really cool animation. Those Chinese boys in stealth suit are a real pain, the suit acts as a big stealth boy so they're really hard to spot when they're moving around, you usually only spot them when they get really close to you or attack. The new setting in a snowy environment is a great thing, it's a nice change from the radioactive brown world of the post apocalyptic DC. Getting the new perk is really tricky since you have to look everywhere to find them. In the first part of the DLC, I've collected 1 out of a possible 4 intel suitcase. (have to redo it from the start)

Played a little more than 1 hour, so far, it's more than well worth the 800 MS points, and the time toying around to make it work on the PC... Plus, getting to the mission itself was a really fun experience, as you have to assist a few outcasts to fight their way through a horde of super mutants to actually get to the base where you will begin the simulation. So if you have Fallout 3 (on something else than a PS3) you really should give it a look, it doesn't disappoint. :lol:

The game hangs after few mins of play after I patched it and installed Anchorage. The hangs are frequent right after i enter the Outcast Outpost and into the Anchorage VR Sim. Not sure what's causing it.

I downloaded it on Xbox but haven't gotten a chance to get into it yet. I wonder why the PC and PS3 versions of Fallout 3 are so crashy but the Xbox one isn't?

PC crashy cuz 101 other apps that can mess with the game.....like ffdshow.

PS3 crashy cuz the code was developed on PC and for the PC and 360 versions.....and the PS3 was a "troublesome" port. Apparently no more DLCs will be released for PS3 version.

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone help me with a problem i have running fallout 3 on PC.

It install okay but as i start the program it starts loading fine but as it about to start everything stops and i get one of those grey windows that comes up with an error signature that asks you if you'd like to "send to error report" or "don't send"

the specfic error is something to do with the fallout3.exe folder, does this mean there is something wrong with the copy i bought or is it a PC problem. I'm running XP Pro (version 2002) with service pack three and the rest of my computer meets the minimum system requirements for the game.

Any ideas?????

this is really frustrating for me as i'm a big fallout fan from way back and have wanted to play this game for a while now and i am worried i've wasted my money (don't worry i kept the receipt but)

anyway thanks guys!

• 3 months later...

d/l'ed Broken Steel the other day, just had to go find a save file that was close enough to the end that I did Anchorage and The Pitt with. I just finished the game again and just woke up to start Broken Steel. Will get back to it when I am off the next three days.

I liked Broken Steel, but the Pitt was my favourite. Taking away all your weapons and armor for half the game was a stroke of genius. With just a crappy gun and armor even at level 27 I had to run away a lot (it was on Very Hard setting)

My only real complaints with The Pitt were that the story was so very short and unfullfilling, and that, aside from a couple small details, it didn't really look like Pittsburgh once you entered the city. I lived in Pittsburgh for five years, it looks like a city out of a videogame. I didn't recognize market square at all, it looked too generic-urban-city. The real thing looks like someone dropped a small town into the middle of the city, with a huge glass castle in the background. The contrast always made me think of FF7. Kind of a let down after crossing the bridge into the city.

Not saying I expected an exact replica of the city, just that it felt kinda like it would if the Capitol Building in DC was replaced with a generic office building, yanno?

speaking of that, you US folks who live in or know DC well, did it trip you out playing this game? Even I had a bit of deja vu with some areas like the whole Washington monument and lincoln memorial area, just thru sheer exposure to news like presidential inaugurations and the like.

I decided to get back into the game after taking a long hiatus to focus on other thing but I just got back into the game a few days ago. This game is just as entertaining as it was when I first played it. I beat the main story as a do gooder but now imj going the evil route toi see what happens in my latest playthrough, im so used to being a good guy that its hard to do bad things in this game... It can be so brutal when your evil but still fun to see a different outcome nonetheless...

Just played through operation anchorage dlc today... I thoroughly enjoyed it as it brought me back to the ol'skool FPS day's. You can only use whats given to you and you cant use ne items other than the weapon's and armor in your inventory.

You have to pick up health and ammo along the way to help you survive... IMO this was a good change of pace for the game and added some challenge and strtegy to the game. Not to mention you get some sweet goodies once you complete the expansion.

I can't wait to play the other 3 current expansion's soon. I hear a brand new fallout expansion is coming out in a few month's called new las vegas. It's a whole new chapter with another giant landscape of the post war vegas.

Still there is so much content that it'll take a while to do everything in the game.

From an IGN interview with one of the Fallout devs

IGN: Will anything in Point Lookout or Mothership Zeta give us hints about what to expect in Fallout: New Vegas?

Todd Howard: No, New Vegas is a totally different game being developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

Still you have point Lookout at the end of this month and Mothership Zeta next month. I just picked this up last weekend and have spent way more hours than I care to admit playing it. It's really an amazing game. Even though it feels a lot like Oblivion with guns and further draw distance, there is just something about this game I find far more enjoyable, can't quite place it though.

speaking of that, you US folks who live in or know DC well, did it trip you out playing this game? Even I had a bit of deja vu with some areas like the whole Washington monument and lincoln memorial area, just thru sheer exposure to news like presidential inaugurations and the like.

Oh yeah, definitely. The first time I came out of the subway on the Mall and saw the Washington Monument looming in front of me with big chunks missing was a trip. The entrance to Arlington Cemetary is pretty similar to the real-life one, too. I think Bethesda got it so right because they're from the DC Area.

The map isn't perfect, it's shrunken a lot so things are closer together and the Mall isn't really that urbanized, but hey, it's 160 years ahead in an alternate future.

Oh yeah, definitely. The first time I came out of the subway on the Mall and saw the Washington Monument looming in front of me with big chunks missing was a trip. The entrance to Arlington Cemetary is pretty similar to the real-life one, too. I think Bethesda got it so right because they're from the DC Area.

The map isn't perfect, it's shrunken a lot so things are closer together and the Mall isn't really that urbanized, but hey, it's 160 years ahead in an alternate future.

Not only that but it's an alternate future based on if the '50s basically never ended :lol:

New Las Vegas isn't an expansion of Fo3. It uses the same engine but is being worked on by more of the original crew who headed the first two Fallouts (which hopefully will shut up the "Fallout needs to stick with 20 year old technology or it's not a "real" Fallout!" uber-fans :rolleyes: ) and of course is set in a completely different area. It's been described as more of a Fallout 3.5.

Vostok 7

Not only that but it's an alternate future based on if the '50s basically never ended :lol:

New Las Vegas isn't an expansion of Fo3. It uses the same engine but is being worked on by more of the original crew who headed the first two Fallouts (which hopefully will shut up the "Fallout needs to stick with 20 year old technology or it's not a "real" Fallout!" uber-fans :rolleyes: ) and of course is set in a completely different area. It's been described as more of a Fallout 3.5.

Vostok 7

Vegas is a lot closer to California, where 1 and 2 took place. So maybe it will include some people and stuff from that.

(which hopefully will shut up the "Fallout needs to stick with 20 year old technology or it's not a "real" Fallout!" uber-fans :rolleyes: )

Are there actually people making complaints like that? The only complaints I've heard from old fans have been about the writing. And let's face it, that's not really Bethesda's strong point. Neither is animation, for that matter. Ouch, it's so sad because the graphics are so pretty.

Well to be fair, animations and writing seemed vastly improved over Oblivion. At least your character has jump animations in 3rd person this time. They also improved the look of their models and character creation imo. I actually like quite a bit of the writing in Fallout 3, the delivery is just a little dry, but I recognize a lot of non-main character voice actors from Oblivion, so it's to be somewhat expected.

Improvements wouldn't hurt, but I'm pretty happy with what Bethesda releases. With the open ended world and morality options in this game, Lionhead should start taking notes.

Well I know you PS3 guys are getting it on the PS store and I believe the game of the year edition with all 5 packs will be released on both consoles. Not sure about packs being released on a disc for you guys though.

The 360 one is a bust anyways imo as it's Operation: Anchorage and The Pitt, and really Broken Steel is the most important. But you still have to buy that off the live store.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Are there actually people making complaints like that? The only complaints I've heard from old fans have been about the writing. And let's face it, that's not really Bethesda's strong point. Neither is animation, for that matter. Ouch, it's so sad because the graphics are so pretty.

Yeah, there were people saying that Fo3 would suck because it wasn't sprites. Then it was because it wasn't orthographic. And then because most of the original people weren't involved. Mind you, a lot of this was before Fo3 was actually released. Most of that whining has died down since the game was actually released, but there are still some holdouts that strongly state their distaste for a "FPS" FO.

Yes, Bethesda's writing does leave something to be desired, and hearing the same voice actor over and over and over (especially as an Oblivion player) gets old. But I find the original FO's to be exceedingly boring, despite loving the universe they've created. I'm not usually an RPG game fan, but I enjoy Oblivion and Fo3 exactly because they are what they are. And, in a way, that was exactly Bethesda's intention, to make games like Oblivion and Fo3 more accessible and enjoyable to a much larger audience. I wouldn't have given Fo3 a second thought if it was just a rehash of the rest of the games like all the old skool fans wanted.

I will say I'm looking forward to New Las Vegas. It will be interesting to see what the original crew can accomplish with Bethesda's engine.

Vostok 7

People buying the 360 or PC expansion packs on discs are getting screwed, because yeah, the first one has Operation Anchorage and the Pitt, and the second one will have Broken Steel and the fourth DLC. The only way to get the fifth DLC is in the GOTY package.

I've been waiting for the DLC on discs, so I hadn't bought any yet. Given that the DLC has all been $10 a pop, and the GOTY edition will be $50 on PC, I figure I'll just wait until the fall and buy the GOTY edition.

To that effect, I'm thinking about selling my copy of Fallout 3 to a buddy, if only for a pittance. Does anyone know if I can do that if I already registered the key with Games for Windows Live?

I believe registering the key ties it to your Games for Windows account/login, much like Steam. So once it's tied to an account it stays that way. Don't quote me on it though.

But I'm pretty sure that Steam does provide a one-time transfer of a license.

At least you can play Fallout without GFWL, right? I know that if you want to save, you're have to use GFWL.

Still, in the long run, I prefer tying a game to a service like Steam or Games for Windows Live to crap like SecuROM or limited activations. That's the main reason why I haven't bought the new Riddick, and the reason I passed on a box copy of Far Cry 2.

The fallout wiki mentioned a work around the GFWL thing, but it's not exactly official. I avoided it on PC for just that reason, my buddy has it on PC though, so I could check with him.

If Steam does offer a license transfer, that's news to me, but that doesn't mean they don't. I've been steering clear of more PC games because of stuff like SecuROM. I know Steam's service makes SecuROM moot, but some publishers still attach it when distributing it through Steam.

It's sad too, because I like my PC and would rather play on it, especially after what it cost. But the hassle that some of this anit-piracy stuff causes just makes me opt out.

The fallout wiki mentioned a work around the GFWL thing, but it's not exactly official. I avoided it on PC for just that reason, my buddy has it on PC though, so I could check with him.

If Steam does offer a license transfer, that's news to me, but that doesn't mean they don't. I've been steering clear of more PC games because of stuff like SecuROM. I know Steam's service makes SecuROM moot, but some publishers still attach it when distributing it through Steam.

It's sad too, because I like my PC and would rather play on it, especially after what it cost. But the hassle that some of this anit-piracy stuff causes just makes me opt out.

SecuROM is the worst thing to hit PC gaming since piracy. It drives people who'd actually spend money on games away from the industry, and does nothing to curb piracy. If anything, it encourages it... who's going to pay money for a game that comes with a glorified rootkit when you can get the SecuROM-free version via Bittorrent?

Still, I do prefer games on PC. It's easier to play some games with the ol' mouse/keyboard combo, I've got a wired 360 controller for the ones that don't, my wife won't kick me off my computer to watch some lame show, and with my hardware some games look better than the console version.

• 4 months later...

Well, we upgraded our normal Fallout 3 disk for the Game of the Year editon, and since we didn't know if the save game files transferred from normal to GOTY, we deleted everything related to Fallout 3 on the PS3 HD. I don't mind starting over, since Walter disappeared in my game (I must've pissed him off or someting). Oh and if you're planning on getting the GOTY srategy guide, keep your normal strategy guide, since the new one is nice and vague on directoins to GNR. Oh, and for you X-Play fanatics, this game made their Games for Cheap Bastards list.

• 4 months later...

Okay, I'm haveing a reletively hard time in the "Trouble on the Homefront" quest. I'm looking for the laboratory so I can pick up Father's Books (I know it just takes up space, but I want to get them), and the damned Game of the Year strategy guide is very vague on the location. Just tell me what room the lab's near and I'll take it from there.

Okay, I'm haveing a reletively hard time in the "Trouble on the Homefront" quest. I'm looking for the laboratory so I can pick up Father's Books (I know it just takes up space, but I want to get them), and the damned Game of the Year strategy guide is very vague on the location. Just tell me what room the lab's near and I'll take it from there.

Its the med bay. I don't think I picked up the books.

Apparently it's a note in the the safe behind the quote on the wall.

solution i guess

• 4 years later...

Daaaamn this game is old.

Despite several recommendations I never did try this game, but I bought it and Dishonored for less than $6 during Xbox Live's sale. After a few hours into it, I can honestly say I missed out. And I was playing it like any other FPS until I learned of the V.A.T.S. combat system. Now I like the game even more! Not bad for 6 bucks.