Trying to fix the problem of yellowed parts

robodragon

I am going to try and fix some of the toy I have where the white has yellowed. I don't want to try and hand paint or spray paint them. I found this and thought I would give them a try.

http://www.instaoffice.com/sharpie-poster-...0.7.htm#details

I got the wide, medium and fine. Has anyone else tried these? If so can you give any feedback?

Thanks

White is actually a pretty hard colour to match.

If you've got a toy that's yellowed (or a mostly white model that's scuffed / chipped), and you don't want that part to stand out, you really need to repaint ALL of the white surfaces (of the same 'type').

Markers are terrible for touching up paintwork. You have no control over the consistency of the paint so you can end up with it looking 'lumpy' and/or needing to sand down the touchup work. This almost always looks worse than slight yellowing. Generally markers come with fairly thick paint in them. A good, soft, flat hand brush (or decent airbrush) and good masking tape are the tools of choice here. And thin, high pigment paint and patience.

Mismatched colour (applied without sharp masking) also looks terrible. If you can't match the colour you need *exactly* your work WILL stand out. Masking off just a single panel neatly can allow you to justify the mismatch (that panel / part has been replaced), but this works better if you repaint other panels too.

Finally you'll need to match the finish. Again, this is easiest done by clearcoating the entire model (non-retouched areas and all, this also protects your repair work against handling a bit). Otherwise you're left with trying to match the finish that the manufacturer's paint or plastic is. Not easy!

If you post a photo of what's yellowed where I could probably come up with a suggestion for dealing with it. Markers are not a great idea, though, unless you're really not fussed by the quality of the result.

Everything Winterdyne has said is true.

Another thing with those markers in particular is that if they really do contain poster paint, that will never stick to plastic. It will very easily scratch or rub off. Pics would definitely help others give you some good advice.

Good luck!