SW: The Old Republic MMO

my god that trailer was awesome. watching it I thought once again, just stop making movies and tv and just do games. They're the only saving grace of the whole SW franchise. Well not all of them of course (aka Force Unleashed)

E3 trailer: http://www.viddler.com/explore/Joystiq/videos/1119/

No gameplay footage, but oh my goodness that is effing sweet.

And THAT is what we should have seen in Ep 3...

Seriously, very cool. But it's becoming hard to distinguish Star Wars eras. Were those Star Destroyers & Sith Infiltrators? The Temple gets wiped out long ago, then rebuilt exactly the same way? Why can't the Jedi have anti-aircraft guns?

I played Force Unleashed on 360, it was very overrated in my opinion.

For one the game was very buggy, while fighting Shak Tii, my character literally dissapeared from the screen, but I could still do force moves to damage the boss. Also, in the star destroyer pull-down scene (what is supposed to be the iconic and defining moment of the game), if you follow the on-screen directions precisely, you will never succeed.

It has its moments, but I think TFU could have used a few more months of tweaking and polishing.

Yes, that trailer was mighty effin' entertaining.

Didn't notice any of the signature yellow lightsabers of the Jedi Sentinels though. :unsure:

At the least the trailer showed off all of the major classes doing their thing (with the Republic troopers' main skill being saber and cannon fodder! :lol: ).

Although the trailer looked awesome, the lack of actual gameplay footage was a big minus for me yesterday. In the MMO world, I started off with FFXI, and now play EVE - so TOR MMO seems to be a perfect merge of scifi and character development for me - Bioware better not disappoint.

What I would really like to see are two things. First, no old school grinding please. I much prefer the EVE system where your skill training is time based, as I'm productive in game even while not being logged on. Second, a more proactive hand at managing the in game economy. Square Enix (and Blizzard or so I hear) totally failed in this respect on their own flagship titles. For the longest time, RMT pretty much had a free for all in adding to in game inflation.

The wonderful people at CCP for EVE at least made an attempt to keep things under control - there is plenty of opportunity to make ISK, and you can actually trade game time for in-game currency, which keeps the money supply low and a lid on inflation. They even hired a real economist to oversee the game economy... which was quite unexpected and hardcore.

Seeing the trailer just makes me desire that style of artwork/proportions even MORE. KOTOR (along with most Bioware games) has such realistic people, but SWTOR is cartoony to the point of distraction.

We haven't seen anything but pre-alpha stuff.

Nothing, its a blast to play.

Yeah pleasant surprise. It could use some space combat in that nifty ship design that got wasted.

The hell was wrong with TFU?

Maybe I was overly harsh.. should have said Galaxies instead. From all the hype I was really looking fowward to it, but ten minutes later I was bored sh-tless.. mindless repetitive button mashing.

Maybe I was overly harsh.. should have said Galaxies instead. From all the hype I was really looking fowward to it, but ten minutes later I was bored sh-tless.. mindless repetitive button mashing.

The Force Unleashed was a decent game... It just didn't live up to what everyone thought it would be and what the devolopers touted.

Saw the video documentary... yup, lightsaber battle still looks clumsy :p

But the cinematic trailer made me see rainbows. It's awesome. Enough said.

Edited by shiroikaze

Hey, I love the hell out of TFU. I honestly do not feel that Jedi Knight II was a better game than it (and I played the hell out of that game, and it got great reviews and is well regarded). The control scheme that some people seem to complain about is much, much better than the stumbling and bumbling joke that is GTA4 (another game which I enjoy alot).

But, whichever. I liked it, and that's enough for me. :D

• 1 month later...

theres been some rumours around of a new DLC stage for Force unleashed,as some new 360 achievements have popped up for FU,I hope so.

on the other hand

The old republic keeps looking better each time i see it, i love the fact that its fully voiced.

and of course the cinematic jedi v sith is just amazing.

It really looks like a PvE-fest for now, which I guess isn't completely bad.

I'm really interested in the remaining job classes. For the Republic, I assume the trooper will be some sort of tanking job, whereas Smuggler will be a rogue/thief type character. They are probably missing some sort of healer which will be the 3rd job... I would have speculated that the 4th job will be Jedi Knight, though I'm thinking that won't be the case because then everyone would pretty much want to be that job (unless the game is balanced so that a Jedi gets pwnd without proper support). It would be cooler if Jedi/Sith is more of an attribute rather than an actual class, such that a trooper, smuggler, bounty hunter etc, can become a force-practitioner.

Really? Do tell.

Trailer shows extensive NPC interaction, the extensive voice-over thing is one of its main selling points after all. There seem to be missions/quests/objectives/ etc, and from the story perspective: the Sith Empire and the Republic seem to be locked in some sort of cold-war- but not at war hence no impetus or reason to actually have a Sith fight a Jedi, but who knows where they'll take that angle. I really didn't see any actual pvp combat, the enemies in the trailer seem to have generic cannon fodder names ie. Imperial Trooper, Droid, etc.

I've sort of burned out of the pure PvP style play of EVE. Playing an quest (hence PvE) based game might be a good change of pace.

Now, I want to clarify that I didn't mean there would be no pvp at all (It's a MMO after all), I just think that the bulk of the content will be PvE with perhaps arena-style PvP, I contrast this with EVE which is overwhelmingly PvP with some minor PvE elements. The other justification I see is that the game is leveraging the extensive amount of SW lore, hence it would make sense for you to do quest, run missions etc, for well known SW factions, as opposed to making the game a gank-sandbox where you just run around grieffing people.

I'm of course just speculating as they're still working on it, but my guess is about 90% PvE / 10% PvP, from my semi-extensive MMO experience.

Unfortunately PVP sells MMOs. Bioware would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't include an expansive PVP platform from the start.

I think it will be just like WoW or even SWG in it's grandeur. I am just hoping they give a clear, easy choice for those of us who don't really like PVP a choice form the start ala WoW or just make it similar to SWG where you had you choose anytime you wanted to PVP but without the possibility of getting dead when you go "overt" when you attack an NPC.

"Forced" PVP like WoW isn't my cup of tea.

Unfortunately PVP sells MMOs. Bioware would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't include an expansive PVP platform from the start.

I think it will be just like WoW or even SWG in it's grandeur. I am just hoping they give a clear, easy choice for those of us who don't really like PVP a choice form the start ala WoW or just make it similar to SWG where you had you choose anytime you wanted to PVP but without the possibility of getting dead when you go "overt" when you attack an NPC.

"Forced" PVP like WoW isn't my cup of tea.

yeah, I really hated how for the first half of WoW there's a pretty fun and well plotted PvE element and then all of the sudden... *poof*...

I just don't have the time to dedicate to dedicate to get the most out of a PvP game so I'm really hoping for fulfilling PvE system in KtoR:MMO

i think a large part will be PvE but you can get others to join your cause and it will be epic, PvP will be there aswell of course but i think since its two factions,the PvP will be happening on the borders of each territory they own. either way space battles are in.

• 2 weeks later...

From IGN.com:

We have a very experienced team here, a combination of BioWare veterans and MMO veterans. And many of our MMO veterans are hardcore PvP players. So our combat system is being designed with an eye towards PvP because we want to make sure that not only do you have a strong story experience--which is BioWare's hallmark, LucasArts' hallmark--but you also have the triple-A MMO experience that you expect, and PvP is a part of that.

I'm sure Bioware will be able to create good Pve content for leveling. Question is what endgame will be like. WoW type raiding and arena, warhammer like RVR? Untill then can't say much. I don't hope it will be as much as a time sink as wow, original Naxx and Sunwell were nightmares.

PVP is going to be an issue in any MMO. Different classes with different skills will result in unblance and flavour of the month setups.

Edited by Bri