How does the YF-19 reload in GERWALK?

So...I was playing with my 1/60 YF-19 in Gerwalk and an interesting question poped on my mind...

we all know and seen that the YF-19 carries extra mags for the gunpod on the shield carried on the other arm, but in Gerwalk how will it change mags?? I can't imagine any kind of anime magic for the 19 to bend it's arms and put the extra clip...

so, I know it's just an anime and it should matter but any theories?? or will it have to change into battroid or fighter to remag???

Personally, I always thought reloading the magazine was possible only in battroid mode. Unless there's some additional heretofore unmentioned mechanism involved, I can't see how the gunpod reloads in Fighter mode and Gerwalk doesn't seem like a possibility either. Interesting question nonetheless.

It's all anime magic. The lengths of the arms on the yf-19 shrink and extend depending on what crazy pose isamu was putting it in. so I'm sure in gerwalk mode, if and when the time came, the go-go gadget arms will extend to the appropriate length in order to accommodate the magazine swap.

Hmmm... what ever happened to those small manipulator (x2 or x3???) arms from the VF-1's fore arms? Y'know when Roy helps Hikaru out in ep.2??? Where they ever used in any other Vf's????

Ya know what's bad? I was just thinking exactly the same thing.

I suspect they were abandoned, but to be honest, I never saw why they were on the VF-1 in the first place.

please excuse the crudeness of this sketch - as i am at work, but... here is my theory for the arms, close quater combat....

Seems to be the only logical reasoning for having those small manipulator arms.

At any rate, there really shouldn't even be a need for magazines as the gun pod should use one big chain of ammo. They thought it would be cool to have a chain gun be magazine fed I guess even though it contradicts the reason behind having a chain gun in the first place.

Hmmm... what ever happened to those small manipulator (x2 or x3???) arms from the VF-1's fore arms? Y'know when Roy helps Hikaru out in ep.2??? Where they ever used in any other Vf's????

Those are the "magic hand" manipulators for maintenance use. Now that's a good idea! I wonder if they did keep using those things in future variable fighters. They could certainly be used to reload the gun pod, esepcially since the arms are right next to the gun pod in fighter mode. Though, the arms are folded away in fighter mode, with only a single facet of the arm section exposed. THe old magic hands came one from each facet of the battroid forearm. Might be tricky to make it work.

IPB Image

please excuse the crudeness of this sketch - as i am at work, but... here is my theory for the arms, close quater combat....

*laughing*

What a great picture! Hey if you get anymore similar ideas be sure to put them down on paper as well. Priceless!

• 2 weeks later...

Roy uses those in SDF:macross on hikaru's vf.

It's a good thing the 19 has lasers to fight with in fighter mode still. Maybe the gunpod was mainly designed to be used in battroid mode mostly against other robots for its stopping power, while the lasers were for shooting down other fighters? (more accuracy?)

I like the idea of the battroids having the bullet proof shield as a way to try to lessen damage from gunpods even though zentradi use energy weapons where a PPB is enough.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well, the VF-17D seems to have them as well; Gamlin uses some kind of small manipulator in M7 (can't recall the ep#, I believe it's 13 or 14?) to grab a fragment left behind from City 7 after the Protodeviln hijack it. I'd guess they were built-in somewhere, though exactly where I'm not sure.

I just thought of this earlier... could the YF-19 swing the gunpod around 180 degrees in his hand (like he's firing it backwards) and then just point the back end to the other hand, or the clip attached to the bottom of the shield?

Someone with the toy should try this pose and see if it works in practice.