Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone

UN Spacy

Why the hell don't films like this get a broader release in places like Australia. I would watch it in Japanese (I know what they are saying anyway) without subtitles, just to get the cinema experience. Not fair.

Taksraven

Yes, releasing a Japanese-language movie in an English-speaking country with no subtitles makes so much sense. What the hell where they thinking?

Anybody aware of what happened to the "planned" release of this film on DVD in Australia. It was supposed to be through red ant and their website says that it was released on November 12 and has some nice cover art, but on the ordering on the website section it says that it is still "pre order".

Anybody have any luck in getting this?

Here is the link.

Red Ant

Evangelion 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance preview screen caps

S2 Engine Powered(?) EVA-04 w/ shield and Lance of Longinus vs 6th Angel Ramiel(again?)

I wonder what's going on and why Ramiel's back again. Perhaps the time loop theory proposed by some fans might be true. Instead of EVA-01 and EVA-00 battling Ramiel, NERV dispatches the S2 equipped EVA-04 (note the absence of umbilical cable) to fight this time.

Supposedly, these are just caps from some new pachinko machine. No need to start more speculation until more information is released.

• 4 weeks later...

Funimation just announced the license after letting the poster slip a few days back. Not my first choice, though I suppose it's about par to the other hands Eva's been in. That, and they're nabbing everything. US release on Nov. 10.

Yes, releasing a Japanese-language movie in an English-speaking country with no subtitles makes so much sense. What the hell where they thinking?

Since I was a bit too distracted when you originally had this wild stab at me, (which missed, I must say,), better late than never for this.

sarcasm.gif

You must be the founder.

Lay off me.

Taksraven

Since I was a bit too distracted when you originally had this wild stab at me, (which missed, I must say,), better late than never for this.

sarcasm.gif

lol...that's too funny. No disrespect meant towards you, Yellow; I just like the image.

I still need to watch "You Are Not Alone". I thought NGE was a pretty good series up until the end; while I get the overall metaphysical hokum, the village idiot in me would rather see more smash and bash by the EVAs. I prefer the "Death and Rebirth" and "End of Evangelion". Asuka has some shining moments.

Eva coming to the US!

Snippit from AICN:

FUNimation Entertainment announced that it has acquired the home entertainment, broadcast, digital and merchandise rights to the film Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone from NTV. FUNimation Entertainment will release the film in 2009.

Eva coming to the US!

Snippit from AICN:

FUNimation Entertainment announced that it has acquired the home entertainment, broadcast, digital and merchandise rights to the film Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone from NTV. FUNimation Entertainment will release the film in 2009.

Only forseeable problem i can see, is if they didn't get the 1.1 or 1.2 (forget which) version. There's a high probability of bluray with it being funi though!

Eva coming to the US!

Snippit from AICN:

See my post of about two days ago. :rolleyes:

They have version 1.01. The only problem I see is their usual "creative" dubbing habits. Though that's nothing new with Eva. I sort of hope they ditch Gaijin, but I somehow think they won't after the backlash they got over Petrea Burchard. Though their subs are decent if memory serves.

Only forseeable problem i can see, is if they didn't get the 1.1 or 1.2 (forget which) version. There's a high probability of bluray with it being funi though!

Did we ever figure out what the "more than two hundred" differences were between 1.0 and 1.01? I only noticed two: the fifth angel's legs moved as it approached NERV in 1.0, but not in 1.01; and in one scene, the word EMARGENCY was replaced by EMERGENCY.

Did we ever figure out what the "more than two hundred" differences were between 1.0 and 1.01? I only noticed two: the fifth angel's legs moved as it approached NERV in 1.0, but not in 1.01; and in one scene, the word EMARGENCY was replaced by EMERGENCY.

But I love EMARGENCY. Good example of Engrish.

Taksraven

gotta say i watched this the other day and LOVED it. Great experience to watch the series, and the new take on things towards the end was awesome!

lol yeh, im still waiting for the new anime witchblade to be available as a boxset, and its been out for ages as well! Guess my fansubs have to be good nuff for the time being!

Looking forward to the next movies big time, specially if they nail it as well as this was done!

So when is this damn thing gonna get licensed already? What has it been, a year now? These anime distributors move like molasses. It's no wonder net distribution is so rampant.

Funi just announced the license around new years, no release date yet.

• 5 months later...

Had a chance to see Eva 1.0 in the cinema today. Great experience on the big screen. Such a shame it was hardly advertised. There were only 3 other people, on premiere night.

Had a chance to see Eva 1.0 in the cinema today. Great experience on the big screen. Such a shame it was hardly advertised. There were only 3 other people, on premiere night.

same thing happened when it was shown in a film festival in my country. marketing was so lousy, you could count the people in the theater. numerous eva fans didn't even know about it until it was too late.

while i don't mind watching in an almost empty theater, what really pisses me off is that it would probably damage the chances of the rest of the eva movies being screened here. damn. :angry:

We're on the verge of the 2nd movies release, aren't we?

Forgive me I've not read the whole thread, but this seems the right place to discuss.

I'm really quite curious about what Anno is actually doing here with this Rebuild stuff. Some say it's a remake, but there's actually fairly strong evidence that it's actually a sequel or something to that effect (red stripe on the moon, sea of LCL, outline of 'crucified' MP eva, Kawru's talking about the third not changing when he gets out of the box on the moon, Nerv's giant thing having a different mask/face, the one of the moon having lilith's mask/face, it opens with the sea of red that EoE ended with).

I'm not normally one for conspiracy but we all know Anno is a Trolls with the capital 'T'.

Also I see a horrible, horrible end for this new Mari chick because quite a bit of what I've heard points to her as a fairly well adjusted person that doesn't use/abuse/ice Shinji (though some of that comes from 4chan....soooo...yeah).

We're on the verge of the 2nd movies release, aren't we?

Forgive me I've not read the whole thread, but this seems the right place to discuss.

I'm really quite curious about what Anno is actually doing here with this Rebuild stuff. Some say it's a remake, but there's actually fairly strong evidence that it's actually a sequel or something to that effect (red stripe on the moon, sea of LCL, outline of 'crucified' MP eva, Kawru's talking about the third not changing when he gets out of the box on the moon, Nerv's giant thing having a different mask/face, the one of the moon having lilith's mask/face, it opens with the sea of red that EoE ended with).

I'm not normally one for conspiracy but we all know Anno is a Trolls with the capital 'T'.

I've heard all the arguments for that one, and I don't buy it.

I could be wrong, of course...but I think doing as a sequel would require some MAJOR deftness and ingenuity on the part of the creators in order not to make it suck.

But of course, we'll see...

Well like I was saying...all of that "continuity" from EoE that shows up in rebuild might just be to mess with us. That's half the fun of Eva for me anyway - completely superfluous symbolism, wallbangers, weird foreshadowing and mind-fecks all around.

Also, I didn't mean a direct sequel. More Groundhog Day esque - do this over until you get it right type thing.

Edited by Rbstr

• 3 weeks later...

Trailer for the Funimation western release of this film is up. Spike Spencer at it again as well as the chick who did Misato. Didn't really focus too much on the others, only enough to let you know that there is some different vocal talents to the original dub.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/evangelion10/

Taksraven

• 2 months later...
http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/movie...evangelion.html

New York Times says what anime fans are too afraid to admit: this movie isn't very good.

I find it ironic that the reviewer's criticism of the original series is that it starts well but ends in a confused rush and then his review of the film follows EXACTLY the same pattern. Thought I was going to read an interesting essay on NGE but then the reviewer applies the handbrake way too early.

I think that the truth about the original series is that if anything it was too long (15-20 episodes would have served it better, probably even less) but he is pretty spot on about the new film. Just an action movie.

But would I go to see it in the cinema if I had the chance? HELL YEAH!! Multiple times!!

When you apply the action film criteria to it it passes the test. I would rather watch an Evangelion action film than Bayformers crap anyday.

Taksraven