Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone

UN Spacy

One of the best descriptions of the TV ending of Eva simply said "Everybody dies, and they all live happily ever after."

But no...an Eva sequel would just...not work. Maybe not as impossible as an Ideon sequel, but damn close.

Yeah - it's like writing a sequal to Hamlet or something - just...better reinterpret the original...

In fact, NGE - due to its' intense psycho-analytical nature - pretty much begs for re-interpretation every once in a while...

I liked that picture of the EVA 01 from the art book a few pages back - the 02 with the horns and german flag colored arms was a bit meh...

But if the movie comes out on DVD (no chance it'll be in theaters in Poland), I will get it an enjoy it most likely.

Pete

Yeah - it's like writing a sequal to Hamlet or something - just...better reinterpret the original...

In fact, NGE - due to its' intense psycho-analytical nature - pretty much begs for re-interpretation every once in a while...

I liked that picture of the EVA 01 from the art book a few pages back - the 02 with the horns and german flag colored arms was a bit meh...

But if the movie comes out on DVD (no chance it'll be in theaters in Poland), I will get it an enjoy it most likely.

Pete

Unfortunately, I think the movie lacks something on a small TV screen. I saw in three times in the theater (twice in one weekend), and was enthralled every time. Then I saw the DVD and, well...it was good, but not the colossal head-explody rush of pure awesome that it had been on a big screen with great sound.

I'm actually pretty positive that the new films are in fact sequels in some sense; not a cut and dry retelling. Theres some interesting things that the production team has done to hint at this. For one, while this could be related to the re-evaluation of the mythos, the number of the Angels is wrong- which lends to an ambiguous relationship between Shinji's child number and the missing angel number. As well as having Lillith revealed so early on. This last piece though, I feel, is directly pointing at a continuation of the original somehow. THERE IS STILL A HUGE RED BLOOD SPLATTER ON THE MOON, AND THE OCEAN IS RED EVERYWHERE. Now, those first two may just be in place to add something new for all the old players, or to streamline the story telling for the later films; but I have a strong feeling that starting with this movie, things are going to start becoming very, VERY different. So different, that you could be hard-pressed to call it a retelling.

I enjoyed watching Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0. Alot of changes from the TV series, watched it twice, third time tonight.

The preview of Unit 02 (or 弐号機(Nigouki)) looks alright except that they could do better with the head. The ANIMA version has a mordern look with the horns on the head, why not with the new rebuild version?

More black and white colours on the Eva instead of red and orange like the TV counterpart. I guess it gives it colour variant and detal? I wonder if it would glow like Eva Uni 01 XD

Looking forward to "You Can (Not) Advance"...in Summer 2009 ^^; And then the DVD release T_T (longer wait)

NewType magazine scan showcasing the new EVA-02 design for next summer's "2.0: You Can (Not) Advance".

eva02va8.th.jpgthpix.gif

I like the use of more black but the white will take a bit of getting used to and I think the horns on the forehead would look a lot better if they were more swept back.

Nigouki's prog knife gets a redesign also. I think it looks better than the old box cutter.

That looks stunning, I love it. Great stuff.

Its so good, its like getting christmas presents early.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

I'm actually pretty positive that the new films are in fact sequels in some sense; not a cut and dry retelling. Theres some interesting things that the production team has done to hint at this. For one, while this could be related to the re-evaluation of the mythos, the number of the Angels is wrong- which lends to an ambiguous relationship between Shinji's child number and the missing angel number. As well as having Lillith revealed so early on. This last piece though, I feel, is directly pointing at a continuation of the original somehow. THERE IS STILL A HUGE RED BLOOD SPLATTER ON THE MOON, AND THE OCEAN IS RED EVERYWHERE. Now, those first two may just be in place to add something new for all the old players, or to streamline the story telling for the later films; but I have a strong feeling that starting with this movie, things are going to start becoming very, VERY different. So different, that you could be hard-pressed to call it a retelling.

I do believe that things will get very, VERY different, but I really hope they're not sequels...if they are, I think we're in for a very sucky final movie.

(And I don't remember the blotch on the moon, but admittedly, it's been a while since I've watched the film. The red water is the only real argument I've seen for it being a sequel...the comic also shifted things around and changed the numbers of angels, but that's not a sequel...is it?)

I do believe that things will get very, VERY different, but I really hope they're not sequels...if they are, I think we're in for a very sucky final movie.

(And I don't remember the blotch on the moon, but admittedly, it's been a while since I've watched the film. The red water is the only real argument I've seen for it being a sequel...the comic also shifted things around and changed the numbers of angels, but that's not a sequel...is it?)

No one's gonna catch this anime reference but i'll bite:

Evangelion and all its "universes" are a vicious circle and part of the Human Instrumentality Project that can only be broken once a universe ends with Shinji not hating himself and the world doesn't end. Otherwise it just resets and becomes slightly f***ed up or strange. Sometimes happy too ala Angelic Days/Girlfriend Of Steel. :lol:

They better have a good reason for changing Unit-02's progressive knife. the original prog-knife was a touch of genius, the new one just look...well...like a knife... I dig the new colour scheme but hate the horn. I don't know, this whole Rebuild Eva thing has been disappointing so far.

They better have a good reason for changing Unit-02's progressive knife. the original prog-knife was a touch of genius, the new one just look...well...like a knife... I dig the new colour scheme but hate the horn. I don't know, this whole Rebuild Eva thing has been disappointing so far.

And what was their excuse for changing the positron cannon and adding an Enchanted Shield of Virtue? (other than the chance for new marketting opportunities) The answer? Because they could. As I said before, it's like someone in the planning department said, "Okay, let's do it all over again. Only make it more XTREME! now." Yuck.

No one's gonna catch this anime reference but i'll bite:

Evangelion and all its "universes" are a vicious circle and part of the Human Instrumentality Project that can only be broken once a universe ends with Shinji not hating himself and the world doesn't end. Otherwise it just resets and becomes slightly f***ed up or strange. Sometimes happy too ala Angelic Days/Girlfriend Of Steel. :lol:

That's how I'm seeing it play out, frankly. And from the few viewings I've had on 1.0, I'd say that Shinji has a little more spine than usual. Perhaps when the final reel of the final film runs out, it really will be the End of Evangelion.

Ah, closure... one can hope, right?

Oh, one more thing I've noticed, Kaworu is coming out of a box on the moon at the end of 1.0. It's the fifth box, so either he's the fifth angel (his human given number for the films hasn't been revealed yet), or the fifth Kaworu; more evidence (obviously circumstantial) that this sort of thing has happened before, and has the possibility to happen again, judging by the other unopened boxes following his. Occam's razor says he's just the fifth angel though.

Edited by Shmitty

That's how I'm seeing it play out, frankly. And from the few viewings I've had on 1.0, I'd say that Shinji has a little more spine than usual. Perhaps when the final reel of the final film runs out, it really will be the End of Evangelion.

Oh, one more thing I've noticed, Kaworu is coming out of a box on the moon at the end of 1.0. It's the fifth box, so either he's the fifth angel (his human given number for the films hasn't been revealed yet), or the fifth Kaworu; more evidence (obviously circumstantial) that this sort of thing has happened before, and has the possibility to happen again, judging by the other unopened boxes following his. Occam's razor says he's just the fifth angel though.

Occam's razor says the filmmakers can make him whatever the hell they want. :p

WAFO.

Occam's razor says the filmmakers can make him whatever the hell they want. :p

WAFO.

Spose that's more true than anything I've considered, lol. They could just leave all these things totally up in the air.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some of the highest praise that I could give to Evangelion. A lot of other franchises have been redone or remade over the years and I could happily ignore them. Evangelion, however, I could NOT ignore.

Taksraven

• 3 weeks later...

Evangelion 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance preview screen caps

S2 Engine Powered(?) EVA-04 w/ shield and Lance of Longinus vs 6th Angel Ramiel(again?)

ap20081207102926860jpgmx7.jpgap20081207102917665jpgjbg9.jpg

I wonder what's going on and why Ramiel's back again. Perhaps the time loop theory proposed by some fans might be true. Instead of EVA-01 and EVA-00 battling Ramiel, NERV dispatches the S2 equipped EVA-04 (note the absence of umbilical cable) to fight this time.

Edited by IXTL

Evangelion 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance preview screen caps

S2 Engine Powered(?) EVA-04 w/ shield and Lance of Longinus vs 6th Angel Ramiel(again?)

I wonder what's going on and why Ramiel's back again. Perhaps the time loop theory proposed by some fans might be true. Instead of EVA-01 and EVA-00 battling Ramiel, NERV dispatches the S2 equipped EVA-04 (note the absence of umbilical cable) to fight this time.

Hmmm...I'm a little worried about the two "SIGNAL LOST" screens below the 04 face shot...

But yeah, why IS Ramiel back? Very weird.

I haven't seen this yet - but I am in the process of rewatching the original series, which I love.

Judging from that screengrab....hmm...well...Shinji certainly looks EMO... but... he also looks a bit TOO conscious of the fact that he's emo!

It's like - he looks like one of those young people who specifically CHOOSE that style and then make an effort to "look" it.

But - the Shinji I know, from the original series, didn't "style" himself. He was bashful, timid, and he was very tidy (mainly I think, because he was afraid of being a "burden" - so he would clean up after himself so as not to be a "burden" to people)...

This Shinji looks...err... he looks like he gets up in the morning, listens to EMO music and styles his hair and is very extroverted and emotional... He just looks older, more mature and like...a different character template.

Misato looks the same though :) And good :) Can't improve on her :)

Maybe I'll get around to watching this some day :)

Pete

Hmmm...I'm a little worried about the two "SIGNAL LOST" screens below the 04 face shot...

Probably a simulation with the EVA04's dummy plug? To test how much more effective it would've been to kill Ramiel with it compared to EVA-01's power draining sniping situation.

I haven't seen this yet - but I am in the process of rewatching the original series, which I love.

Judging from that screengrab....hmm...well...Shinji certainly looks EMO... but... he also looks a bit TOO conscious of the fact that he's emo!

If you're talking about IXTL's screengrab, there's no shinji there. Only Kaworu. :huh:

If you're talking about IXTL's screengrab, there's no shinji there. Only Kaworu.

Ka-who-ru?

Who's that? Is that by chance the name of Misato's boyfriend? (I could never remember his name) - if so; then I guess it's more reasonable... but...err... who is that? :)

Pete

Ka-who-ru?

Who's that? Is that by chance the name of Misato's boyfriend? (I could never remember his name) - if so; then I guess it's more reasonable... but...err... who is that? :)

Pete

Erm...did you watch the whole series? Specifically episode 24?

And Kaworu's not emo, he's just gay. ^_^

Erm...did you watch the whole series? Specifically episode 24?

And Kaworu's not emo, he's just gay.

Ok - now I think I know who you're talking about :) That kid who shows up at the end who's even more of a pain in the butt than Shinji :)

It's been a while :) But yeah - now I remember him - although I still don't remember him by name... but I guess I'll be reintroduced to him soon... :)

Thanks for refreshing my memory :)

Pete

Finally saw this, the only real justification form my perspetive for them remaking this portion of the series is the scene where Misato showed Shinji Lililth, there was lots of new scenes but that's the only one that seemed really important.

Or the 5th child? Rei, Asuka, Shinji, Toji then Kaworu.

Edited by lord_breetai

Ok - now I think I know who you're talking about :) That kid who shows up at the end who's even more of a pain in the butt than Shinji :)

It's been a while :) But yeah - now I remember him - although I still don't remember him by name... but I guess I'll be reintroduced to him soon... :)

Thanks for refreshing my memory :)

Pete

Whew. You had me worried there for a sec.

For a character who only shows up at the end of the series, Kaworu made a pretty big splash (so to speak). I think he would be hard to forget...

For a character who only shows up at the end of the series, Kaworu made a pretty big splash (so to speak). I think he would be hard to forget...

I'm one of those people who really prefered the first half of the series to the second - with a few notable exceptions - namely the episodes where Ikari and his friend are on that boat in Blood Red Antarctica, and the noir love story between Misato and that one guy (see, I'm REALLY bad with names) :) That and the last two episodes - I love the last two episodes as well.

But overall, I usually remember what I loved and totally forget things that didn't make a big impression on me.

But that's also why I'm re-watching the series :) It's the best way to fall in love with things that you didn't notice were worthy of love the first time around :)

Pete

Can't keep a good angel down?? :lol::lol:

Taksraven

Finally saw this, the only real justification form my perspetive for them remaking this portion of the series is the scene where Misato showed Shinji Lililth, there was lots of new scenes but that's the only one that seemed really important.

Or the 5th child? Rei, Shinji, Asuka, Toji then Kaworu.

Ooh, didn't think of that. Moon children.

Probably a simulation with the EVA04's dummy plug? To test how much more effective it would've been to kill Ramiel with it compared to EVA-01's power draining sniping situation.

That seems to be the most plausible scenario. Finally allowing us to see EVA-04 animated and in action... possibly before getting blown to kingdom come and disappearing off the face of the earth in an accident involving the S2 engine.

Edited by IXTL

For the Sydney Eva fans, "You Are Not Alone" will be screened at The Greater Union City at 6:00pm tomorrow (9/Dec/2008), as part of the Sydney's Japanese Film Festival.

For the Sydney Eva fans, "You Are Not Alone" will be screened at The Greater Union City at 6:00pm tomorrow (9/Dec/2008), as part of the Sydney's Japanese Film Festival.

I AM IN YOUNG!!!!!!!

D'OH!!!!!!!!!!!

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

Why the hell don't films like this get a broader release in places like Australia. I would watch it in Japanese (I know what they are saying anyway) without subtitles, just to get the cinema experience. Not fair.

Taksraven