Macross Fan Comic

Kamjin 639

Macross Fan-Comic: Are You Interested?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Macross Fan-Comic: Are You Interested?

• Yes
    • No

Especially with Macross World Con coming-up, I've been pondering-over the idea of making a Macross fan comic for the fans to enjoy. For about two years, I've been working with an artist to produce comics (none of which, I will admit, have been produced to the level where we have been confident enough to submit them to a publisher) and distributing them to local comic book stores. While the response has been good, tackling a fan-base like that of non-Japanese Macross fans is a whole new ballgame altogether.

I'd really enjoy the chance to make a Macross-based comic book, but one simple question is holding me back: Would anybody really care, or would too many "hardcore" Macross fans denounce it as utter crap simply because it's not "official"?--I could care less what Harmony Gold or Big West have to say about it, as I figure if it's popular enough to demand a response from them, I did a good job, anyway, but what I'm really worried about is that I'd be pulling-away from time making my own totally self-created stories in order to give something enjoyable to a fan-base who may-or-may-not be interested in it.

So, truly, I'd like to know what everyone thinks. I'll put a poll on this thread, but spoken responses are far more useful to me than a black-and-white count of everyone who passes-by.

Thanks!

Kamjin 639

Go for it. As long as you have a good story, I don't think anyone will complain. Of course, you'd might prefer to do your own characters in the same setting (like Macross 7 Trash, set in Macross 7) than to reuse "official" characters, so you wouldn't have to deal with keeping them "in character" according to what's canon - which is probably (besides the sucky storylines) the biggest problem in any class of fan fiction.

Go for it. As long as you have a good story, I don't think anyone will complain. Of course, you'd might prefer to do your own characters in the same setting (like Macross 7 Trash, set in Macross 7) than to reuse "official" characters, so you wouldn't have to deal with keeping them "in character" according to what's canon - which is probably (besides the sucky storylines) the biggest problem in any class of fan fiction.

I completely agree with this sentiment. If I were to go ahead with a Macross project, I would think that taking Studio Nue's characters would in itself be a major no-no, if only for the reason that a story with new characters (if not also a new setting) would be far more exciting to longtime fans (myself included) than seeing characters already seen before.

I appreciate the comments very much! Please, everyone, I'd really love to hear more opinions!

And rest assured, if the comments really are positive, then I won't let this promise slide!

I think the main problem most Macross fans have with fan-made projects is that they tend to blow. Make a good story, revise and edit your dialogue so it isn't lame, and don't make mistakes with the mecha or flight suits, and you should be A-OK.

I've been fiddling with an idea for a while, but school's been knocking my ass so much that I haven't drawn anything worthwhile in a long time.

I think the main problem most Macross fans have with fan-made projects is that they tend to blow. Make a good story, revise and edit your dialogue so it isn't lame, and don't make mistakes with the mecha or flight suits, and you should be A-OK.

And for the love of God don't make it a comedy. Seems like most of the comics we've seen around here have been joke strips, and they nearly all sucked.

Keep it simple and have some people who arent afraid to give good criticism read over the script.

All of the above is good advice.

As I have done something similar (recently retreved the originals from an overseas trip back to my original country), I may be posting them on the web (and here) in the near future (no promises.)

My advice is: do it for yourself, and the love of doing it. Don't do it for other people nor what you think they expect of you (or a Macross manga produced by you.) Your love for the material will shine through, and make it much better.

If and when you post the finished manga on these boards - be warned that the majority of posters (not necessarily members) are 13, or have the attitude of 13 year-olds. It may be best to show the finished work to your friends first, and ignore the more vicious/inane commentary that may result from showing the work in this forum.

I say do what you want to do. If that's your desire, you don't need to go by anyone's opinion. If you have a story to tell, that's cool. It's a good thing to see fan works in anything related to Macross. At least people are doing it. It's what keeps this ball rolling :D

• 3 weeks later...

Someone was doing a cartoon style Mac Plus era strip on here for a while. It would be cool to see others too.

Yeah, I think you mean Remove Before Flight. I stopped working on it after I got back from Iraq.

I love the characters (and have days invested in that damn VF-4 model,) so I have plans to continue with it soon in a slightly different direction. I'm working on getting my artwork up to snuff so I can do a slightly more serious story with lighthearted moments as opposed to the 'gag panel' format.