Plz Help a Yamato Noob =)

Arkham

That's rights guys...

the poker-gods have been nice with me lately... the bills are paid, everyone is happy, so it's time for the good ol' me :D

I have absolutely no yammies.... I was one of those "wise" people who bought they Toynami stuff (before knowing this place and the existence of Yamato, so don't bash me)

I want to start my own collection (never too late right?), but from what I've read here, there seems to be problems with some models, and looks like some people are waiting for "2nd versions" and things like that... Don't want to be "wise" again and buy the wrong stuff.. If I have to wait.. then I'll wait =) just let me know!!

So please.. fire away

Things that I really like based on what I've seen/read here (but always open to suggestions):

SV-51 (booster?)

VF-0* (booster)

YF-19 w/Fast Pack

-------------------

Those VF-1 are still in production?

Thanks guys

Pablo

?

the SV-51 is a risky bet, since we don't know anything about it.

The VF-0 booster and the YF-19 are pretty safe bets, imo.

According to Graham, the shin type VF-0 will have the new POM arms which should make it a much more durable toy. and from most accounts, the YF-19 has been pretty good. No huge problems, though some members here have had really bad luck with theirs.

Edited by eugimon

the SV-51 is a risky bet, since we don't know anything about it.

The VF-0 booster and the YF-19 are pretty safe bets, imo.

According to Graham, the shin type VF-0 will have the new POM arms which should make it a much more durable toy. and from most accounts, the YF-19 has been pretty good. No huge problems, though some members here have had really bad luck with theirs.

Thanks for the quick answer :)

I was browsing ebay but didn't find any "yf-19 w/booster". I know the vehicle itself was released but looks like the booster hasn't.

Will I have any "compatibility" problem buying them separately? Or is it better to wait and buy them together?

Same thing with the VF-0A and VF-0S?

Thanks again!

?

Good question with the VF-0S for Ghost compatability, but i think Yamato

are smart enough to devise a easy snap on way for the Ghosts for the VF-0A and S.

One would think wouldn't you. :unsure:

The Shin VF-0A with Ghost seem to be the better choice for you.

And to be honest IMO the standalone Ghost colour sheme is a bit lacking.

Check this pic out -

IPB Image

Gorgeous!

Mines pre-ordered!! Go get it~!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I wouldn't worry about compatability issues. Yamato hasn't had an accessory compatability issue since the 1/60 VF-1. Every 1/48 has been fully compatible with all the various accessories and I can't imagine the new 1/60 line up will be any different.

BTW, you probably want to stay away from the ver 1.0 of the VF-0s and VF-0a, see my avatar pic for the reason why.

I would recommend the 1/60 VF-0 with booster that's scheduled for May. They should have resolved issues from the first two. I personally Love my VF-0A and VF-0S. After the VF-0 came out The VF-1's look to short and stocky to me. The other winner would be the YF-19 booster pack.

I will say be very careful. Once you start getting the yammies you'll be selling you valuables and meeting people in dark alleys just for your next fix. :ph34r:

That's rights guys...

the poker-gods have been nice with me lately... the bills are paid, everyone is happy, so it's time for the good ol' me :D

Wait for it. :lol:

I have absolutely no yammies.... I was one of those "wise" people who bought they Toynami stuff (before knowing this place and the existence of Yamato, so don't bash me)

Based on my current opinion on Toynami and Yamato "Better Late and still able to get then than never be able to get them". :lol:

Since you are looking at the newer Valks that have not been released yet, I would stay away from Ebay.

Try Lost and found toys. He's a member here and I order all my macross there.

Thanks everyone for their inputs.. trully apreciate it

eugimon:

It's a second version of VF-0s coming, the same way VF-0A "Shin Type" w/ Fast Pack?

robodragon:

Damn! You're right!! I haven't even ordered something and I got hooked up staring at this:

(Drool Protection not included)

I don't remember even seeing one of these in the series/movies but somehow I definetely want it

Hmmm....

Since there's some time left before the new valks (and their addons) get public.. perhaps I should start with the old ones? =) (Damn that stealth valks looks so freaking hot!)

Once again.. comments are not WELCOME.. they are NEEEDED!!! :D

Thanks!

Pablo

?

I haven't even ordered something and I got hooked up staring at this:

(Drool Protection not included)

Once again.. comments are not WELCOME.. they are NEEEDED!!! :D

The Stealth 1J would be the only 1/48 Valkyrie I've ever gotten, and I'm quite happy with it. I'll give you my full rundown below.

I'm a sort of "sampler" fan, meaning I'm fine owning just one figure from each mold set, rather than having to have every individual character's repaint, head style, etc - unless the character or paint style is just so plain awesome I have to have it (I.E. Ivanov's SV-51 vs. the inevitable SV-51 Nora recolor which will come out later).

That being said, and with what I currently own, here's my comments on each type of Yamato toy I own (in no particular order):

1/72 Macross Plus YF-21

Lots of metal and a very complicated transformation that, unfortunately, makes posing the toy rather difficult. Very pretty to look at otherwise, especially in jet mode. You'll also have a pretty hard time tracking one of these down nowadays for a decent price. I don't own a Mac+ YF-19 (or the 19A repaint) but I'd imagine they follow similar suit - not very good poseability, high price tag, lots of metal. The toy reviews on the site would help you further if you're looking at these, but I most certainly would not recommend them as a "first Yamato" experience.

1/60 DYRL Jenius VF-1A

Honestly, I find this to be a really good balance between materials used, details, and overall playability. The downside to this one is parts swapping to change modes (the cockpit heat shield being the most salient example). It looks very good posed, is pretty durable, and locks together nicely in all the modes, with Gerwalk being a sort of sticky point because of interference between the shoulders and the wings. I would consider it the most photogenic of the bunch, and honestly recommend it as a first purchase if you don't mind swapping out a few parts. www.gundamstoreandmore.com has fantastic prices on the few 1/60 toys they've got left.

1/48 Super Stealth VF-1J

Perfect transformation. A little more plastic than I expected, especially at that price point, but it's still quite durable. The paint scheme is awesome, no doubt about it, but I think the arms are a little bit twiggy for my taste. Expect it to take you some time to transform this bad boy the first couple times, and you'll probably worry about breaking it at a couple of steps :) The high price tag for a piece like this (with all the add-ons) makes it a toy I wouldn't recommend for a first-timer, though it's a very popular, solid representation of the engineering Yamato is capable of.

1/65 Bandai VF-19 Fire Valkyrie

Don't even worry about this one, it has nothing to do with Yamato, and I'm just listing it because I'm excited I found it at the bottom of my toy trunk again :D

Toys I Don't Own, But Plan To Get

I'm definitely on preorder for the VF-0A Shin model - it has the perfect transformation, is very nice to look at, and is a very good next step in Yamato toy evolution (i.e. they've worked out most of the bugs in their designs at this point and have made one very sexy toy). I'm also going to get the YF-19 w/ packs when they release the bundle, because the current YF-19 toy is getting some rave reviews around here (and it's just sooooooo pretty I can't pass it up). Of course, I'm in the SV-51 crowd as well, no need to elaborate on that one.

In conclusion - my recommendation is to start off with a slightly less expensive 1/60 DYRL valk and work your way up from there. If you can find a cheap 1/48 scale valkyrie, you might go that route as well unless you absolutely must have the add-on parts, in which case it'll probably end up costing ya a bit more. Everyone's probably going to have a slightly different opinion around here though, so it's really up to you to decide what features are most important to you, and ultimately which toy will make you the happiest.

Edited by Dio

There's talk of a fixed version of the 0s and the 0a but nothing confirmed. We'll probably see it eventually. like in a year or two.

Though, Graham has said that yamato will be releasing replacement arms made of stronger plastic (pom) but so far there's been no official confirmation.

honestly though, it doesn't matter where you start, your just gonna end up buying it all anyway. You'll see... ;):D:p:lol:

Trust me: "I know"

I don't even own one and I'm already thinking where to put my dinner table, because I have to make room for the new "valk-shrine" :(

?

P.D.: Looks like I'm going to start with the Super/Strike VF-1J Stealth (with his own black stand).... The new guys (VF-0*, YF-19) seems to be conveniently 1 month distanced =)

Trust me: "I know"

I don't even own one and I'm already thinking where to put my dinner table, because I have to make room for the new "valk-shrine" :(

?

P.D.: Looks like I'm going to start with the Super/Strike VF-1J Stealth (with his own black stand).... The new guys (VF-0*, YF-19) seems to be conveniently 1 month distanced =)

Get the SIlver stand, its nicer i think with the stealth, and its on special at Toy-Wave. The Stealth is a good choice, but i recommend getting the vf-1s first, maybe buying a pair of stealth FPs also. I find the vf-1s to look great on its own, but i find the stealth needs to be with other vf-1 to shine. Also, you should consider the vf-0a (or the new version comming out), it looks nice with the stealth, its like a re-make of the Low Vis 1, but at a "reasonable" price.

Get the SIlver stand, its nicer i think with the stealth, and its on special at Toy-Wave. The Stealth is a good choice, but i recommend getting the vf-1s first, maybe buying a pair of stealth FPs also. I find the vf-1s to look great on its own, but i find the stealth needs to be with other vf-1 to shine. Also, you should consider the vf-0a (or the new version comming out), it looks nice with the stealth, its like a re-make of the Low Vis 1, but at a "reasonable" price.

If the stealth can't shine next to my TOYNAMI VF-1S.... then it's going to take the express elevator (a.k.a. gravity) from my 11th floor window..... :angry:

How "poseable" are those stands??

?

That's rights guys...

hmmm... poker... hey Pable you wouldnt happen to be in the L.A. area would you? :lol:

If the stealth can't shine next to my TOYNAMI VF-1S.... then it's going to take the express elevator (a.k.a. gravity) from my 11th floor window..... :angry:

How "poseable" are those stands??

?

You would throw a Yamato out first? :unsure: weirdo. :lol:

It is true though, nothing beats a Valk from the series. I can't understand ppl that buy non canon Valks before the canon ones...

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

It is true though, nothing beats a Valk from the series. I can't understand ppl that buy non canon Valks before the canon ones...

When comparing non-canon to canon, you gotta admit that the DYRL valks are just visually boring in comparison to the Stealth, LV, or LVII. I only own one DYRL valk, Roy's, but I own all the non-canon valks. I also own all the TV Valks but I can see where some might consider Hikaru's 1J to be not as exciting as one of the non-canonical efforts.

hmmm... poker... hey Pable you wouldnt happen to be in the L.A. area would you? :lol:

Sorry EXO...

I'm from Chile, but I play at PokerStars :) But when I play with my "live" friends, I usually don't win enough to buy a Valk (yet). But when I win tournaments at PS, and because I don't get any medal , trophee but hard cold cash.. I "have" to buy my own.. my love.. my precious Valk :lol:

?

P.D.: In no way I will send Yammie Valk first... the Toynami Valk may look bad, but they're a hella of amortiguation :D