newbye question about 1/48 and 1/60 valkyries

luckyluca

Yesterday I received both the stand and the VF-1A - cf !!!!

obvious last night I went to bed waaay too late...

It reminded me of christmas day!!!! again!!!!

This is my first and only valkyrie :)

first impressions:

the 1/48 yamato VF-1A at first glance is H U G E ! ! ! way bigger than expected.

However it seems a bit too delicate and the plastic seems it will become loose very soon.

Finishing is brilliant and the amount of engineering they put into it to let it transform in all three modes is amazing.

really high tech stuff.

However I noticed a couple of things I'm not happy about: the airbrake is very "cheap" and not too steady, the front gear's right door has a little plastic "mole" that prevents it from fully opening obstructing slightly the gear. (I'm thinking of removing the little plastic mole with a cutter).

Also it really gives the feeling that it wouldn't sustain more than 5-10 transformations before becoming really loose.

Anyway not a big deal as I'm planning to leave it in gerwalk mode (hence the stand) (unless there's a way to use the stand and valkyrie in battloid mode for a dynamic cool pose)... but never mind.

Now to the interesting stuff:

I'm planning to add panel linings and a minor amount of weathering (nothing special..).

For this purpose I've bought a staedtler 0.05 pigment liner see pic

because I heard it takes a little to dry and enough time to amend any mistake with a damp cloth.

any suggestion for panel lining?

thanks for reading!

Luca

Yesterday I received both the stand and the VF-1A - cf !!!!

Also it really gives the feeling that it wouldn't sustain more than 5-10 transformations before becoming really loose.

Anyway not a big deal as I'm planning to leave it in gerwalk mode (hence the stand) (unless there's a way to use the stand and valkyrie in battloid mode for a dynamic cool pose)... but never mind.

Luca

I'm concerned about the 5-10 tranformations before becoming really loose.

Don't do that, as the 'Koenig is a great concept and a cool toy as well. If you appreciate variable vehicles you'll want to get it at some point...

say word. the konig monster is one of the more original and unique toys yamato has put out to date.

even though its 1/100 scale don't let it deceive you, the gerwalk mode(monster) is kind of big, the shuttle mode is big, but the battroid mode is frickin HUGE!.

if you got some extra money to burn its totally worth picking up IMO.

Edited by do not disturb

I'm concerned about the 5-10 tranformations before becoming really loose.

I have transformed and played with my 1/48s for years now and everything is still tight and perfect, don't be afraid of transformations years have passed and so far it is passing the test of time.

• 4 weeks later...

WELL WELL WELL.....

after 1 week of planning (and buying the right tools) I started working on customizing my first and only valkyrie.

Here's the result of it:

www.lucavfx.com/macross

In some pictures there's missing panel lining on the nose as I took the pictures during work in progress....

My fav pose is gerwalk with clusters of missiles on the stand :)

tools used:

staedtler 0.05 pigmented liner felt tip

red 0.1 pigmented liner felt tip

grey silver 0.3(?) felt tip

qtips

water

enjoy!

Luca

Edited by luckyluca

Panel lines look a little too dark for my liking, but otherwise looks ok.

It's hard to panel line and trying to get that 'look'.

I like it dark panel lined eheheh

no it's just that I decided to go for the cel shaded kinda look because it would be easier for me to do.

Thanks

Luca