Yamato VF-0A/S Replacement Parts

kensei

Sorry, but not interested in paying 40 dollars for the same breakage prone arms.

according to graham, yamato isolated the problem to an interaction between the rubber and plastic used in the original releases. the replacement arms, and apparantly the newer releases have new materials.

If you're not interested in paying for the fixes, there's currently no other option. There was a member re-cast project more than a few months ago but there haven't been any updates in quite some time.

It is a Cannon Fodder, also I was unaware that the replacement arms had been changed.

I am going to contact HLJ and see how much they quote the replacement arms for. also, are they still sending the entire arm assembly, because I am in need of the part below the elbow swivel joint. Although I could probably glue it if necessary.

If you just got the VF-0a CF just a couple of days ago and if it was from HLJ you might be able to convince them that it was a faulty product from the beginning. Who knows they may just send you the pair or arms for free, but it may just take some time. -=X

***EDIT***

Hell... I'd say its worth a shot. XD

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

It is a Cannon Fodder, also I was unaware that the replacement arms had been changed.

I am going to contact HLJ and see how much they quote the replacement arms for. also, are they still sending the entire arm assembly, because I am in need of the part below the elbow swivel joint. Although I could probably glue it if necessary.

it's the entire arm from the shoulder down to the hands. You'll want to be specific and and name the CF VF-0a by name and tell them you want both the right and left arm.

when you get it, dissassemble the *entire* arm and trim any excess flashing from the rubber parts, particularly the bicep swivel portion and re-assemble the arm on the valk, starting with the shoulders and then work down the arm.

good luck.

• 2 months later...

Suxcktacular. I just had my first Yamato Failure with my 1st edition VF-0A. The left arm jsut fell off in my hand with a shower of plastic sprinkles at the shoulder-elbow joint. It is simple to see exactly where the failure occured. This toy wasn't abused of mishandled on my end, the joint just deisintegrated. I have thought about it and have come up with a fix I think will work using tiny metal washers and CA glue, it will take some hunting at the hardware store but should cost about a buck an arm. I was amazed at how miniscule the piece of plastic at that arm joint is I wonder why the hell they didn't make those out of metal.

Suxcktacular. I just had my first Yamato Failure with my 1st edition VF-0A. The left arm jsut fell off in my hand with a shower of plastic sprinkles at the shoulder-elbow joint. It is simple to see exactly where the failure occured. This toy wasn't abused of mishandled on my end, the joint just deisintegrated. I have thought about it and have come up with a fix I think will work using tiny metal washers and CA glue, it will take some hunting at the hardware store but should cost about a buck an arm. I was amazed at how miniscule the piece of plastic at that arm joint is I wonder why the hell they didn't make those out of metal.

yup yup, the whole arm assembly, from the eblow joint up through the shoulder should have been machined out of aluminum. It's thin and there's so much stress put on it when the arm is pulled out during transformation.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question for those who ordered the parts for a while now. Are the new shoulders holding up well? And can you confirm that you received new versions of the arms and not just replacement of the same old arms with the same quality for both the VF-0S and VF-0A. Looking to order the arms for both my VF-0S and VF-0A.

I would think ordering the VF-0S will be safe now due to the 2nd version and bundle pack being released but not too sure about the VF-0A CF.

Also, I have been searching the thread but can't seem to find Graham response to the VF-0A Shin and whether it uses the new arms. I remember someone posting before mentioning some have the new arms and some don't. Can someone confirm.

Thanks.

So is this like 200% confirmed... :wacko: I just want to make Quadruple sure before I get a 0A bundle...

FYI I ordered from Hoho Toys on Ebay and they sent me a VF-0S and Ghost packaged seperately. But, my VF-0S is the second edition because it has the locking feet.

So basically, the second edition VF-0S is out in the single box now. But there's nothing different about the box to tell you that it's the second edition. The only way to be sure is to take it out of the box and see if the feet lock in the out position for Battroid/Gerwalk.

So the safest thing to do is to try and get the VF-0S/0A Ghost giftset....

-Kyp

Guys, the 0A giftset has the craptastic shoulders, not the good ones. THe only VF-0 toys with good shoulders are the VF-0S 2nd edition and the VF-0S Ghost set. No 0A has been made with good shoulders yet. Since no 0A has been made with good shoulders it's probably a safe bet that any people ordering 0A colored arms are still getting crappy breakable ones.

Guys, the 0A giftset has the craptastic shoulders, not the good ones. THe only VF-0 toys with good shoulders are the VF-0S 2nd edition and the VF-0S Ghost set. No 0A has been made with good shoulders yet. Since no 0A has been made with good shoulders it's probably a safe bet that any people ordering 0A colored arms are still getting crappy breakable ones.

You sure on this? I was planning to grab a VF-0A + Ghost set soon 'cause I'd heard they had the fixed shoulders like the VF-0S + Ghost did. I'd prefer the VF-0A version of the set for the coloration, but if they're still prone to breakage it'd be pointless to get a toy that's inevitably going to break in a critical manner.

I thought the concensus was that it was a 50/50 with the shoulders being bung?

Mine (Shin 0A with Ghost combo) just went through another transformation cycle, and nothing broke yet. Touch wood it would've died on me by now. And i'm not scared of transforming it so i'm applying normal pressure to the shoulders when transforming as if it was a 1/48, and it's tight so i need to apply the adequate pressure. So all good here.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I thought the concensus was that it was a 50/50 with the shoulders being bung?

Mine (Shin 0A with Ghost combo) just went through another transformation cycle, and nothing broke yet. Touch wood it would've died on me by now. And i'm not scared of transforming it so i'm applying normal pressure to the shoulders when transforming as if it was a 1/48, and it's tight so i need to apply the adequate pressure. So all good here.

Had you loosened the screws when you initially got it, or any other special percaution? I mean, I'm not planning to be cruel to the Shin 0A + Ghost if I get it, and it'll spend its days most likely in Fighter mode with brief spans in Gerwalk, but I'd definitely like to know that this thing isn't going to lose its arms on me if I handle/transform it. :blink: Judging by re-reading all the threat, the timing implies that they should have the new arms. The POM thing ended up being a misunderstanding, to the lack of it on the materials listing for it doesn't say anything.

I loosened them, yep. Nah, no other precaution was required by my part, only that i was lead to believe the Shin was WITH fixes (words from trustworthy sources...) before it was released. No problem yet so no one gets burned by the aussie slang... yet. :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I loosened them, yep. Nah, no other precaution was required by my part, only that i was lead to believe the Shin was WITH fixes (words from trustworthy sources...) before it was released. No problem yet so no one gets burned by the aussie slang... yet. :p

Since I never saw it mentioned at all in the thread, how far is it ideal to loosen them? Aren't there two screws per shoulder, too? Should both be loosened, or only one pair? Hell, while I'm thinking about it, what's the best way to get the arms out in order to get at the shoulders?

Yeah, that's right, the Shin VF-0A was fixed about half way through production...I forgot about that.

So if you're wanting to be 100% safe and sure, then you're gonna have to wait for a second release Shin...and who knows when that will be. :(

Since Shin hasn't been offered as just the Valk yet, if you see one, then it will definitely have the fixes, you'll just have to get the Ghost seperate.

-Kyp

So basically, I'm still sitting on a 1st release 0A with no way to really fix it... Man, I love Yamato and am swimming in their products, but this one bit just leaves me mad... Sounds like if I actually want a 0 to mess around with, I'm gonna have to grab a reissue 0S...

I think it was they incorporated the fixes halfway though the production, if I remember right.

So basically, I'm still sitting on a 1st release 0A with no way to really fix it... Man, I love Yamato and am swimming in their products, but this one bit just leaves me mad... Sounds like if I actually want a 0 to mess around with, I'm gonna have to grab a reissue 0S...

Basically, yes that's the way it is. If you want to be 100% confident that you're getting a fixed VF-0, then the second edition VF-0S is your only option at this point, sorry. :(

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Yes well i won't except anyone saying the Shin Ghost combo is 100% prone to breakages, the G-Man said it himself the run was half/half f'd.

Whats you doing with yourself these days Graham man? Whats you collecting??? :D

and btw cooooooooooooool i'm a concertee! :p yeah Sharon bring out them mermaid chicks that turn on the chicks in the stands! Wooeee!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, it's a 2nd release VF-0S but with Ghost and all the fixes. I think there is a 2nd release standalone (non Ghost) VF-0S but i'm sill hazy on that. Of course there is only 'one' release VF-0S plus Ghost, only one release of such combo with the VF-0S and fixes. Shin VF-0A+Ghost is a half arsed run with 50/50 chance of getting faulty shoulders.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, I gotta get my left arm on the VF-0A repaired or replaced...it snapped just between the elbow and upper arm where it rotates for transformation. Pretty shocking as this is the second Yamato figure I've owned where the arms seem to snap off.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess this was a first release version of the VF-0A since it's a dark grey color. It wasn't really a shoulder, it's just above the elbow joint where you rotate the arm.

However I'd more then likely would need a completely new arm to get it working agian.

It was a real pain in the ass to transform it and somehow keep the arm connected in its socket.

I'm basically in the same situation as Hikuro and the rest of you.

I opened my VF-0A (Dark Grey) and the left elbow joint shattered upon first touch. The right sholder joint is so floppy it cannot be posed. I read throught this thread so what I want to know is if Yamato are going to release a fixed version of the VF-0A (so I will be able to order new sholders/arms), fixed sholders or is my only option to try my luck with ordering from HLJ (who incidentally have never charged me more than a few dollars for replacement parts).

• 4 weeks later...
Yes well i won't except anyone saying the Shin Ghost combo is 100% prone to breakages, the G-Man said it himself the run was half/half f'd.

If i were to buy a vf-0a w ghost combo is there any ways to find out if its the corrected version? is it as easy as the vf-0s and checking to see if it has locking feet? im so tempted to buy one to the fact i might want to take a gamble..

• 2 weeks later...
If i were to buy a vf-0a w ghost combo is there any ways to find out if its the corrected version? is it as easy as the vf-0s and checking to see if it has locking feet? im so tempted to buy one to the fact i might want to take a gamble..

anybody???

As far as I know, there isn't a surefire way to know if you got a corrected version or not, but keep in mind, you can take precautions to alleviate the stress on the shoulders by loosening the screws on the outer shoulder pieces and the screws on the inner shoulder pieces as well. If this fails, and they still crack or break, SILVERDRAGON is offering recasts of the upper arms in the For Sale forum. It's yet to be seen how durable his recasts are though, but hopefully, he's using a plastic that is more durable than the one Yamato used.

Edited by sidearmsalpha

I should also add that the VF-0A's should also be loosened at the elbows (loosen the screws in the elbow collars) since this area is prone to breakage as has been mentioned (and shown) before. I went ahead and removed the black rubber/plastic(?) rings that provide tension in the elbows since it has been pointed out that this may also be causing the breakage at the elbows. The arms are a little looser after removing the rings, but it's not that bad.

Can someone confirm that the new VF-0S with the Ghost has the updated elbow collars with the screws like the VF-0A's? The first release does not have screws and are glued together, so disassembling the elbow is impossible without breaking the collar pieces, or so I would believe, but I'm not risking it. Even the damn VF-0S replacement arms I received from HLJ are this way! You would think that Yamato would have updated the replacement arm collars since these replacement arms were being offered at the same time the VF-0A's had been out for awhile.

• 5 months later...