The All Things Video Games Thread!

Got Megaman 10 and played as protoman, who takes twice the damage it seems, and barely got anywhere then played as megaman and had a much easier time despite not having a charge shot and slide. Played each level once and couldn't beat anyone on my first try still brutally hard until you memorize the levels and such.

Also kinda spoiler

bass

is the D/L character for those interested in who the 3rd person was. So far its fun my buddy and I swapped the wiimote back and forth so no one would get to frustrated from the cheap unexpected deaths, not anymore though :lol:

Good stuff so far if you like megaman I recommend it kept the old skool and insane hardness and lol at easy mode. :lol:

Well it looks like Call of Duty is starting to die a slow, painful death. :angry:

http://kotaku.com/5484026/activisions-new-...oper-new-genres

COD/MW was great while it lasted...

activision is the worst company ever... F*ck them.

at least there's still a chance BioShock 3 won't suck. :(

I can't believe Activision hasn't learnt its lesson after the music rhythm genre imploded last year, no thanks to how Activision milked the 'hero' brand to death.

Oh well, COD1/2, MW1/2, thanks for the memories.

Given the history of IW/COD/MOH, wouldn't it be ironic if former IW employees (re)joined EA? :lol:

Given the history of IW/COD/MOH, wouldn't it be ironic if former IW employees (re)joined EA? :lol:

I would lol heartily.

and considering the next MoH looks like it could be very not shit...

(actually I'd find it both funny as hell and awesome if everyone at IW jumped ship and made an unofficial MW3 under the MoH name.)

Edited by anime52k8

I feel I must link this (great teaser images):

http://kotaku.com/5484948/valve-teases-upc...t-not-so-subtly

It's hard to overstate my satisfaction!

[edit]Something went wonky with the edit function for a moment...

Also, looks like another hidden message in the link... and we get co-op!

Edited by shiroikaze

There must be something wrong with my eyes, because I really can't see a difference between the 360 and PS3 versions of FXIII from FMV screens. At least nothing significantly different between the two.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/03/06/f...ive-comparison/ (As always, NSFW.)

apparently the encode on the cinematics for the 360 version leave something to be desired while the actual gameplay is somewhat smoother on the 360 version.

Portal 2 - The expectations I have for this are insane I cannot wait

FFXIII - I couldn't see the difference in the Xbox Vs. PS3 pictures either but I have seen other comparisons where I could tell the difference.

PSP lunar 1 re-re-remake - Anyone got it yet and thoughts on it?

apparently the encode on the cinematics for the 360 version leave something to be desired while the actual gameplay is somewhat smoother on the 360 version.

During major action scenes is where the fault lies. Artifacts like macro-blocking rear its ugly head. The cutscenes on the 360 are just "softer" than their PS3 counterpart.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalf...y-xiii-face-off

PSP lunar 1 re-re-remake - Anyone got it yet and thoughts on it?
Isn't it more than that?

Something like Sega CD>Saturn>PS1>GBA>PSP?

I haven't gotten the I haven't gotten the PSP version yet but I will be.

EDIT: Picked up the Premium edition of Lunar at Fry's for $35. It'll be a while before I actually play it though.

Edited by bluemax151

Steam coming to Mac.

http://kotaku.com/5488375/left-4-dead-2-te...to-mac-in-april

Best thing is if you buy a game for Win you can re-download it on the Mac for free! (and vice versa I think). No more dual booting for L4D2! Woot!

I doubt my Mac would run them.

But as someone who's platform agnostic, I think it's a good thing when a great game has a chance to reach a wider audience.

I doubt my Mac would run them.

But as someone who's platform agnostic, I think it's a good thing when a great game has a chance to reach a wider audience.

The Source engine is old-tech, can run it (kinda) on my crappy laptop a Mac could do it. Same with the flash-games, but I doubt you'll be getting the big-deal sequels that have come out within a year on one.(or my crappy laptop... :( )

The Source engine is old-tech, can run it (kinda) on my crappy laptop a Mac could do it. Same with the flash-games, but I doubt you'll be getting the big-deal sequels that have come out within a year on one.(or my crappy laptop... :( )

Valve says that it's going to be simultaneous release dates for Mac/PC/360 games from now on for their games. Well have to see.

"We looked at a variety of methods to get our games onto the Mac and in the end decided to go with native versions rather than emulation," said John Cook, Director of Steam Development. "The inclusion of WebKit into Steam, and of OpenGL into Source gives us a lot of flexibility in how we move these technologies forward. We are treating the Mac as a tier-1 platform so all of our future games will release simultaneously on Windows, Mac, and the Xbox 360. Updates for the Mac will be available simultaneously with the Windows updates. Furthermore, Mac and Windows players will be part of the same multiplayer universe, sharing servers, lobbies, and so forth. We fully support a heterogeneous mix of servers and clients. The first Mac Steam client will be the new generation currently in beta testing on Windows."

Technically, FF13 is out now on the east coast. So, will FF13 be discussed here, or do we put it all in the PS3 thread, despite there'll be at least a few people who'll buy the 360 version? (unless nobody here buys the 360 version)

I should've redeemed my Gamestop giftcard alot more sooner...

I'm surprised I haven't preordered it, but then again I have no incentive to get it right away. Other than the strategy guide and the Xbox360 console, there's really no collector's items coming with the game, eh?

Technically, FF13 is out now on the east coast. So, will FF13 be discussed here, or do we put it all in the PS3 thread, despite there'll be at least a few people who'll buy the 360 version? (unless nobody here buys the 360 version)

I still say put it in the PS3 thread. It's where 90% of the discussion has been so far, and even if a few people plan on getting it for the 360, I think they've figured out that people are talking FFXIII in the PS3 thread.

The Source engine is old-tech, can run it (kinda) on my crappy laptop a Mac could do it. Same with the flash-games, but I doubt you'll be getting the big-deal sequels that have come out within a year on one.(or my crappy laptop... sad.gif )

Maybe, but I still kinda doubt it. My Mac is a 1st-gen 13" MacBook. 1.83GHz Core Duo (no 2 in the middle), with an Intel GMA 950 for graphics. At least I had the good sense to upgrade the 80GB hard drive to a 160GB (or was it a 250GB?) hard drive, and take the RAM from 512MB to 2GB.

Not that gaming on my MacBook is a priority for me. It would have been nice back when I got it and it was the only entertainment I had at a job where I basically sat for 11 hours doing jack, but nowadays I've got a home-built gaming PC and Asus gaming laptop. Not to mention a job where I'm usually too busy to take a lunch, let alone play Portal.

Isn't it more than that?

Something like Sega CD>Saturn>PS1>GBA>PSP?

I haven't gotten the I haven't gotten the PSP version yet but I will be.

EDIT: Picked up the Premium edition of Lunar at Fry's for $35. It'll be a while before I actually play it though.

SegaCD original > Saturn remake > Saturn MPEG cart port(yes, this is a different release) > PS1 port > Windows 9x port > GBA remake > PSP remake

So yeah, re-re-remake. Just with a fistful of ports on the way there.

And I must apologize to XSeed. I really like you guys and want you to succeed, but I won't be buying this release, premium box or not, and I hope no one else does.

I played the demo, and it was good for nothing but raising my blood pressure.

This is not XSeed's fault. Game Arts is making the game worse with every revisions. They need to be taken out back and shot.

Lunar has been dead since Studio Alex stopped being involved. Yes, this means I am officially disavowing the Saturn/PS1/Win9x versions as well.

The SegaCD versions are the ONLY versions. Well, and that Game Gear game no one likes to talk about.

Sanposuru Gakuen?

I haven't played my PSP copy yet (the art is definitely better from what I've seen though) but I'd definitely have to disagree about the SegaCD version being the best release. It and the Saturn version(s) are extremely archaic and almost if not completely unplayable. They only version worse is probably the GBA release. I'm not exactly sure why you don't consider the PS1 version a remake? It's substantially different in just about every aspect.

For the record I have a Japanese Saturn so I understand the mpeg cart existed but don't really think that release was all that noteworthy.

SegaCD original > Saturn remake > Saturn MPEG cart port(yes, this is a different release) > PS1 port > Windows 9x port > GBA remake > PSP remake

So yeah, re-re-remake. Just with a fistful of ports on the way there.

And I must apologize to XSeed. I really like you guys and want you to succeed, but I won't be buying this release, premium box or not, and I hope no one else does.

I played the demo, and it was good for nothing but raising my blood pressure.

This is not XSeed's fault. Game Arts is making the game worse with every revisions. They need to be taken out back and shot.

Lunar has been dead since Studio Alex stopped being involved. Yes, this means I am officially disavowing the Saturn/PS1/Win9x versions as well.

The SegaCD versions are the ONLY versions. Well, and that Game Gear game no one likes to talk about.

I honestly don't see where all your hate is spewing from, while the Sega CD had the superior music, the Saturn/PS1 version vastly expanded on the story, and refined the battle engine quite a bit. EB took less of an improvement from its Sega CD/PS1 transition, but then the game was already pretty tight to begin with. Plus it had one of the best surprise epilogues, if not the best ever. I've only played a bit into the PSP remake, but so far, it's a pretty competant port. Prettier graphics, and a bit simplified, but that's just the current trend with RPG's. Kids these days can't be bothered to ::gasp:: walk across a world map, and chance getting lost on the way to their next town. Hell, I doubt many in the current game playing gen would be able to get halfway through Phantasy Star II (say it were shined up with pretty/modern graphics & cutscenes) without giving up because it's too long/slow.

But to bash Silver Star Harmony like it's "Dragon Song" is way to harsh. :)

I haven't played my PSP copy yet (the art is definitely better from what I've seen though) but I'd definitely have to disagree about the SegaCD version being the best release. It and the Saturn version(s) are extremely archaic and almost if not completely unplayable. They only version worse is probably the GBA release. I'm not exactly sure why you don't consider the PS1 version a remake? It's substantially different in just about every aspect.

I was under the impression the PS version was more or less a port of the Saturn version. Guess I'm wrong.

Man, now I may have to actually play it.

I don't deny that The Silver Star needed a remake.

My problem is that the remake it GOT was a mockery of everything the original game was ABOUT.

It's sad, but it makes me very hesitant to recommend one of my favorite series of all time.

I can recommend a dated and awkward game, followed by one of the best JRPGs in the history of ever. Or I can recommend a twisted mockery of that game followed by a broken version of one of the best RPGs ever that no longer works properly as a sequel.

I honestly don't see where all your hate is spewing from, while the Sega CD had the superior music, the Saturn/PS1 version vastly expanded on the story, and refined the battle engine quite a bit.

Rewrote and BUTCHERED the story, not expanded.

Lemme tell you, it was a serious case of whiplash when you're playing Eternal Blue for the first time and you find out Althena's dead, and has been for the better part of a millennium. Alex is the REASON Althena retired, not a damned booby prize.

Not as good a kick as the first EB ending, but...

EXPANDED would be developing more on the history of the magic emperor, the original ME's connection to Ghaleon, the relation between Althena and the Dragonmaster, and WHY the dragons are dying out(the ones in the game are the last surviving members of the dragon tribe... raising a hell of an unanswered question for Eternal Blue's dragons).

Not scraping the whole magic emperor back story, changing Ghaleon's, Althena's, and Dyne's motives and actions completely, skewing several other characters severely(most notably Nash, who got totally screwed), and *gripegriperantcomplain*

Actually replayed TSS recently, and was struck even more by how far things had skewed in SSS.

And Nash's triple-cross is STILL badass... oooh, add an FMV sequence of his daring escape from the Vile Tribe soldiers, dragon helm in hand! THAT would be quality entertainment.

Not dressing him up like a giant robot banana and making him a boss. :angry:

I've only played a bit into the PSP remake, but so far, it's a pretty competant port.Prettier graphics, and a bit simplified, but that's just the current trend with RPG's. Kids these days can't be bothered to ::gasp:: walk across a world map, and chance getting lost on the way to their next town.

Honestly, I was appalled by the maps being broken up into 2-4-screen mini-maps more than anything else.

That was what did me in.

The world map I could live with. It served no point in the PlayStation version, may as well abolish it totally.

I knew the FF-style bottomless item bag was coming, distasteful as I find it(even in Final Fantasy!).

I even expected limit breaks after what I'd seen of Lunar Legend. I was ready for them, sort of.

I could even LIVE with the generic menu screen instead of a proper Lunar menu, maybe. Though it broke my heart(Nall is for saving!).

But those black screen transitions every few steps? Not enough premium box content in the world.

But to bash Silver Star Harmony like it's "Dragon Song" is way to harsh. :)

I can't do that, because I never played Dragon Song. :p

It's one of the little edges I've gained in my fight to keep my tenuous grasp on sanity. From everything I've heard, it'd push me over the edge.

But either way... Studio Alex wasn't involved with anything after Walking School. None of the remakes, and not Dragon Song. That's my official justification for not counting them.

Well I'm comparing the JPN Saturn version with the English PS1 version..

I had heard the PSP has some bad load times/mechanics but I play everything from my memory card anyway so it might improve that aspect a bit. I know Jeanne D'arc and the Gundam Battle games for instance really benefit from not having to read the UMD.

The story from SegaCD to Saturn is basically the same with more facets added. If anything the US versions deviate a lot in the fact they were made more humorous in the translations among other things. If you're going to direct hate on anything in the series it should be like every US release I guess.

The story from SegaCD to Saturn is basically the same with more facets added. If anything the US versions deviate a lot in the fact they were made more humorous in the translations among other things. If you're going to direct hate on anything in the series it should be like every US release I guess.

And once again we get the Working Designs hate with no evidence to back it up.

Fact: Hiro and Ronfar got punched into orbit for staging a peep show while Lucia was changing clothes.

The games were always a little light-hearted. WD may've had a bit of fun with some of the NPC dialog, but they're HARDLY responsible for it not being SERIOUS BUSINESS all the time.

For all the hate that gets heaped upon them, WD actually CARED about the games they translated and did their best to keep things intact. In fact, Game Arts WANTED WD to do the original Lunar: Silver Star translation, because they had TG16 releases to prove they DID do localization right. And both companies worked very closely together all through the localization process to ensure it was right for Lunar too.

Which is why XSeed is following in WD's footsteps(actually, based on the demo, it seems they just bought the old WD translation. Not that I mind that.).

If you've got some examples of WD ACTUALLY messing Lunar up as opposed to "THEY MADE A JOKE! BURN THEM", I'm all ears.

In fact, I've long wondered if the secret origin of dragon diamonds is a bit of WD "flavor."

I do know of a few minor goofs, but no one seems to want to say anything more than "E BAY AND BILL CLINTON!"(Victor Ireland has publicly apologized for the NPC Clinton joke in SegaCD Lunar 2, for the record.)

Either way, I KNOW the PS1 version is hugely different. US version to US version. And it's not because WD wanted to change them(Hell, the script in Lunar 2 PS was largely cut/paste'd from Lunar 2 SCD)

And until they restore Nash to the badass I know he is, I will not forgive Game Arts! BRING BACK STUDIO ALEX! RESTORE LUNAR TO IT'S PROPER GLORY! CLEANSE THE BLASPHEMOUS WORK OF ZOPHAR'S FOLLOWERS WITH THE GLORIOUS LIGHT OF ALTHENA!