The All Things Video Games Thread!

Tried it abit. Same old with new way of evolving patapons. The story seemed reset though.

I finished the 1st one. Was really addicted to it. Got most of the gold weapons.

Oh btw...this is good fracking news.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-...erica-this-fall

...Yeah, know this a while go.

Goddamn, why does the first SW that gets localized is also the weakest one?

Hell, NIS could localize the PS2 Remake of SW 1 or PSP port of the first 2 games.

But no, it gotta be Sakura Wars V.

Edited by REbirth

...Yeah, know this a while go.

Goddamn, why does the first SW that gets localized is also the weakest one?

Hell, NIS could localize the PS2 Remake of SW 1 or PSP port of the first 2 games.

But no, it gotta be Sakura Wars V.

I had no idea....that bad? :(

Lunar 1 is being remade/rereleased AGAIN

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/lunar/lunarho...lunarhotss1.jpg

I love the two main lunar games and all but holy crap why not put your efforts in to making a good sequel instead of remaking the first one 4 times...

Ugh, ANOTHER Silver Star Story port. I hate SSS. With a passion.

Hate may not be a strong enough word.

Why can't they give The Silver Star a good remake(which, don't get me wrong, it DESPERATELY needs) instead of one that changes everything and totally misses the point.

And don't EVEN get me started on the hideous trainwreck that is Eternal Blue remake. Even ignoring that they TOTALLY cocked up the gameplay... how in the HELL do you make a 4-disk PS1 game with FEWER AND WORSE FMV sequences than a SegaCD title(they also cut my absolute favorite non-FMV story sequence).

I borrowed a friend's copy of Lunar Legends, and it was even WORSE.

I managed to resist Dragon Song.

Game Arts sucks. They need to rehire the old staff and do this thing RIGHT.

*pets his SegaCD*

There, there, baby... it's okay... they can't hurt you.

i didn't most of my ps2 collection until feb. and march 2009.

i only had gt4 and gta san andreas for the ps2 for years... but i finally bought tokyo xtreme racer zero and 3, tokyo xtreme drift 1 & 2, gta 3 & vice city, kingdom hearts, the devil may cry trilogy, jet li's rise to honor, tomb raider legend & anniversary, tenchu: wrath of heaven and the d1gp drift game from gamestop used (tomb raider anniversary, tokyo xtreme drift & the devil may cry trilogy were new) (i still need to get kingdom hearts 2) after i got my tax refund (i built a quadcore pc for music/video editing too). i started the games just to see if they worked and see how much room i had on my memory cards, so i have some catch up to do. i beat the speed king in tokyo xtreme racer zero and i got lost in the first stage of devil may cry, but kingdom hearts just got me addicted to it (i know tomb raider is a short game so i'm saving those for last). my ps2 collection almost turned out like my ps1 collection, all that i have is gt2, 007 tomorrow never dies and tomb raider (i bought tomb raider factory sealed in 2008 off of ebay 'cause we had no memory cards back in 97-98 and never beat it, lol).

i can't wait for kingdom hearts 3 come out. i went from 2 must have games (gt and tomb raider) to 3, lol. gta is not on that list 'cause i didn't own any gta games until san andreas. i think that i'll add final fantasy xiii to my must buy list too. i haven't played a rpg since the 8bit sega days (miracle warriors, i never could find the last boss to kill) and i'm so glad that the random monster fights are sorta gone (i'm not counting my time playing WoW on a private server).

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

Seems like 2009 will be a busy year for the PSP.

From Software announces a batch of PSP ports of Armored Core and Tenchu: http://kotaku.com/5262359/from-software-ps...ncement-baffles

Level 5 reveals more infos and scans of their new RPGs this year:

- Mecha/Plamo based RPG "Danboru Senki": http://www.psphyper.com/psp/danboru-senki-...cenes-revealed/

- Horror RPG "Ushiro": http://www.psphyper.com/game-profiles/ushiro/

- Studio Ghibli + LV5's "Dream" RPG "Ninokuni": http://www.dshyper.com/news/weekly-famitsu...s-for-ninokuni/

Seems like 2009 will be a busy year for the PSP.

From Software announces a batch of PSP ports of Armored Core and Tenchu: http://kotaku.com/5262359/from-software-ps...ncement-baffles

Level 5 reveals more infos and scans of their new RPGs this year:

- Mecha/Plamo based RPG "Danboru Senki": http://www.psphyper.com/psp/danboru-senki-...cenes-revealed/

- Horror RPG "Ushiro": http://www.psphyper.com/game-profiles/ushiro/

- Studio Ghibli + LV5's "Dream" RPG "Ninokuni": http://www.dshyper.com/news/weekly-famitsu...s-for-ninokuni/

2009 will be a big year for the PSP... because it's getting some niche games that will probably never make it out of Japan, and ports of niche games we already have? :blink:

Have any of you guys heard of Sacred 2: Fallen Angel? It's a Diablo-type game that has local and online co-op (At least in the 360 version). It actually has decent reviews on metacritic. I've been dying for a good online co-op rpg, so I'm going to have to pick this up.

Have any of you guys heard of Sacred 2: Fallen Angel? It's a Diablo-type game that has local and online co-op (At least in the 360 version). It actually has decent reviews on metacritic. I've been dying for a good online co-op rpg, so I'm going to have to pick this up.

I played thru the first Sacred a bit.. might check this one out to get a Diablo fix.

Well I finally finished Fallout 3 and all the expansions.. very sad. Empty inside. Started Stalker Clear Sky. I think it's gonna be a bit of a punish to get thru.

In other news (sorry if this is REALLY OLD cos I've been awol for a while) did you all see the announcement for the next AvsP game? Good news after the release date push back for Aliens CM.

http://www.gameplayer.com.au/gp_documents/...1AvsP2More.aspx

@Guppy: the AvP bullshots already has me interested, problem is that motion sickness will be stopping me probably :p. I hope the new AvP lives up to its predecessors, I heard they were godly games.

Anyway!

Team Fortress 2 is having a free weekend just in time for the Sniper vs Spy Update. Steam download provided in second link. :)

http://kotaku.com/5263586/team-fortress-2-...ee-this-weekend

http://www.teamfortress.com/sniper_vs_spy/

What's the best way to clean cartridge contacts on old games? I've heard isopropyl alcohol (though the percentage usually isn't specified) form some, but others have said not to use any alcohol and instead use Windex. I'm not sure why former would be worse than Windex, which if I remember correctly has water in it. I have even heard Brasso is good cleaner as well, but I'm not sure.

Does anybody have some good experience in this area?

Edited by VT 1010

What's the best way to clean cartridge contacts on old games? I've heard isopropyl alcohol (though the percentage usually isn't specified) form some, but others have said not to use any alcohol and instead use Windex. I'm not sure why former would be worse than Windex, which if I remember correctly has water in it. I have even heard Brasso is good cleaner as well, but I'm not sure.

Does anybody have some good experience in this area?

Yeah that and a Q-tip was the poor-man's NES cleaning kit. I think you can also use hydrogen peroxide too if that's what you have lying around.

@Guppy: the AvP bullshots already has me interested, problem is that motion sickness will be stopping me probably :p. I hope the new AvP lives up to its predecessors, I heard they were godly games.

snip......

I jizzed in my pants when i saw the screen shots in the Marine. Predator and Alien POV. :D

http://www.holyfragger.com/multiplatform/f...s/avp/pictures/

Those poor marines and their puny M41A's!!!! :ph34r:

6696L.jpg

Also anybody saw the new Trailer for Modern Warfare 2? :ph34r:

Edited by grss1982

Blowing into them doesn't help anymore? A dry lint-free cloth should do fine. How dirty are they?

Blowing into them is generally a bad idea. It may work in the short term, but the reason it works is also what causes problems in the long run. The moisture from your breath results in better conduction right after blowing on it; however, this will eventually lead to corrosion on the cartridge.

My main concern is using a cleaning method that is the least harmful to the contacts down the road.

the AvP bullshots already has me interested, problem is that motion sickness will be stopping me probably :p. I hope the new AvP lives up to its predecessors, I heard they were godly games.

They were awesome games. I'd still be playing the first one, as I and many other fans feel it was better than the second, however the original AvP doesn't like newer Nvidia drivers. If you can get these games try 'em out, you won't regret it. As for the new one, f**k I'm gonna have to upgrade my rig again...

I REALLY hope that Salamander Rebirth is actually Salamander and not mother-sniffing Life Force.

*insert rant here about the author's confusion, howLife Force in Japan is NOT the same thing as Life Force in the US, NOR the same thing as Salamander, and how Gradius sucks.*

There's a possibility that Salamander Rebirth or the AC won't be released world wide, remember Salamander PSP, japan only.

Alcohol is good. In fact, it's what was in the cleaning kits.

Generally, higher % is better. Because that which is not alcohol is water. Water is not your friend.

Brasso is bad. It's abrasive, and actaully scrapes the metal off.

Windex I dunno about. Water, ammonia, and food coloring, basically?

A standard pink pencil eraser does wonders on heavy corrosion, but you may have to take the cart apart to deploy it. Also messy.

Real, honest-to-Kawamori contact cleaner is probably the best thing you can use, but that's a lot more expensive and harder to find.

Also, apparently Vic Ireland's got things off the ground and moving again.

http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/03/04/mia...-founders-gaiji

Edited by JB0

Alcohol is good. In fact, it's what was in the cleaning kits.

Generally, higher % is better. Because that which is not alcohol is water. Water is not your friend.

Brasso is bad. It's abrasive, and actaully scrapes the metal off.

Windex I dunno about. Water, ammonia, and food coloring, basically?

A standard pink pencil eraser does wonders on heavy corrosion, but you may have to take the cart apart to deploy it. Also messy.

Real, honest-to-Kawamori contact cleaner is probably the best thing you can use, but that's a lot more expensive and harder to find.

Thanks, JB0. The Official NES Cleaning Kit said to use a 50/50 solution of water and alcohol, but I was obviously a little hesitant to use water. I was wondering about Brasso--though I figured as much. Is there a particular type of contact cleaner you recommend?

My ex bought a new pin connector for her NES, made all our old games work first time, every time. No cleaning, blowing into the cartridges, or anything.

Thanks, JB0. The Official NES Cleaning Kit said to use a 50/50 solution of water and alcohol, but I was obviously a little hesitant to use water. I was wondering about Brasso--though I figured as much. Is there a particular type of contact cleaner you recommend?

I use rubbing alcohol.

Usually a >70% solution.

It's the universal cleaner!

(The old NES kit most likely meant to go buy a bottle of 50% alcohol, not to mix it. I'm really not sure why they recommended a solution.)

My ex bought a new pin connector for her NES, made all our old games work first time, every time. No cleaning, blowing into the cartridges, or anything.

Just don't stick a Game Genie into it. You'll wreck the connector.

Assuming it's the usual straight connector and not an actual ZIF like the original deck used.

I use rubbing alcohol.

Usually a >70% solution.

It's the universal cleaner!

(The old NES kit most likely meant to go buy a bottle of 50% alcohol, not to mix it. I'm really not sure why they recommended a solution.)

On page 3 of the official NES Cleaning Kit manual, it says the following:

A. CLEANING GAME PAKS

2. With your finger, apply a small amount of water* to the blue end of the cleaner until it is slightly damp.

*If possible, distilled water should be used. OR

For maximum cleaning effect, use a mixture of 1 teaspoon isopropyl alcohol and 1 teaspoon water.

The fact that it initially suggested to use water caused me to question it just a little bit. ;)

I don't want to replace the connector if I don't have to. I used some alcohol and Q-Tips to clean a couple of cartridges and they worked fine on the first try. Even if I did replace the connector, I would still have to clean the games. Any foreign substances on the cartridges would eventually accumulate on the new connector, which would then have to be cleaned as well. As long as my current one work fine, I don't see the need to spend even more money than necessary.

I'm a little surprised that no one here is talking about the PSP Go.

Linky.

Another link.

Still more linkage.

Yeah, it might look like a Mylo, but I'm okay with the design for a gaming device. I also don't mind 16GB of flash storage, or downloading my games in the future for instant gratification. I just want to know what I'm supposed to do with the small collection of games I already own on UMD. What, am I supposed to buy them again? Maybe Sony will have some sort of program where you can send in the UPC's from the games you have on UMD to get codes for the digital version.

I just want to know what I'm supposed to do with the small collection of games I already own on UMD. What, am I supposed to buy them again? Maybe Sony will have some sort of program where you can send in the UPC's from the games you have on UMD to get codes for the digital version.

*looks at PSOne Classics*

I'm sure there's going to be a way to convert your existing disks for use on the PSP. No way they'd charge you again for the same game.

PSP Go is about as inspiring to me as the GameBoy Micro was.

Wait, so there is no UMD drive on the PSP Go?

[edit]I guess it doesn't.

Crap, now I really can't buy it after investing on the games on UMD. If the Go surpasses the PSP 3000 in the future, Sony better find a work around for older owners. It makes all the games I bought less useful now.