The All Things Video Games Thread!

I'm now playing Assassin's Creed 2 on the PS3, and I have to say it is an improvement on the original. You no longer have to go to a previous memory to collect flags. I'm right now about to go to Tuscany (I think that's the next city after training in the villa) after buying a few paintings in Florence. Fun game so far.

The problem with AC2 is that it gets too easy after you get most of your equipment upgrades.

I'm not that impressed so far. Maybe it's just because I don't know anyone else playing but so far I haven't really seen why this game needs to be an MMO to begin with.
From what my friend told me it's supposed to be very solo friendly but still have end game raid content. I haven't experienced it personally and from what little I played I know I won't be buying this game.

Just as a reference this friend is someone I played WoW classic (among others) with, so it's not like I don't trust/respect his opinion or knowledge on the subject of MMOs.

A reboot of Cruise Chaser Blassty?!?
I hope it's more along the lines of...

CHRONO BREAK!!!

On the 360 front I decided to take a break from Mass Effect and get back into The Last Remnant. I'm at a part in the game at the Catacombs where I encounter a couple of squads of large fae-winged pricks, and if I activate the right trigger on both icons my army gets its ass kicked. I'm going to try to whittle them down by luring one icon at a time.

Edit: I failed to mention that I encounter them in a trapped room.

Edited by Wanzerfan

From what my friend told me it's supposed to be very solo friendly but still have end game raid content. I haven't experienced it personally and from what little I played I know I won't be buying this game.

Just as a reference this friend is someone I played WoW classic (among others) with, so it's not like I don't trust/respect his opinion or knowledge on the subject of MMOs.

It is solo friendly, very similar to Guild Wars but the game automatically gives you groups when you enter into an instance. The thing is, I have yet to play a mission where players were actually buffing each other or tanking, etc. Everyone just flies in, concentrates fire on the smallest ship, blows them to hell or dies, which happens with startling ease. This happens a lot, especially in the opening salvo as there's no way to lure away a single enemy ship and the designers tend to make a mob just a giant floating ball of ships and since there can be like 5-10 ships in a mob and 4 ships in your party and they ALL target the lead ship, well, they blow through your shields and kill you in the opening salvo. Not a big deal since you respawn right away and with the frequency of respawn points it's almost like dying and respawning is supposed to be a tactic rather than a penalty.

Anyone thinking about White Knight Chronicles?

http://www.thegameheadz.com/Games/Playstat...40/Default.aspx

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/01/whi...nline-tutorial/

I first saw it like 2 years ago, and thought it looked kinda Xenogears-esque (what with the giant knight in battle and all), and it's *finally* coming out to the US.

Anyone thinking about White Knight Chronicles?

http://www.thegameheadz.com/Games/Playstat...40/Default.aspx

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/01/whi...nline-tutorial/

I first saw it like 2 years ago, and thought it looked kinda Xenogears-esque (what with the giant knight in battle and all), and it's *finally* coming out to the US.

Maybe. Thing is, it seems like everyone was delaying games to avoid competing with Modern Warfare 2, and I'm finding a surprising number of games I want to play coming out in the next three months. I'm curious about White Knight Chronicles, but if it comes out during this time frame, I'm concerned that it could get lost in the shuffle.

It is solo friendly, very similar to Guild Wars but the game automatically gives you groups when you enter into an instance. The thing is, I have yet to play a mission where players were actually buffing each other or tanking, etc. Everyone just flies in, concentrates fire on the smallest ship, blows them to hell or dies, which happens with startling ease. This happens a lot, especially in the opening salvo as there's no way to lure away a single enemy ship and the designers tend to make a mob just a giant floating ball of ships and since there can be like 5-10 ships in a mob and 4 ships in your party and they ALL target the lead ship, well, they blow through your shields and kill you in the opening salvo. Not a big deal since you respawn right away and with the frequency of respawn points it's almost like dying and respawning is supposed to be a tactic rather than a penalty.

That I will agree on. I've only had one group where someone asked who was tanking, and when someone volunteered he flew in and promptly got destroyed. I think finding a group of friends or a good fleet is going to be the way to go.

finished Darksiders. Liked the game, a fun button masher though the end boss is a bit of a let down.

Seriously, lately you've been playing the same games as me, just beating them before I do. First it was Uncharted 2, then Dragon Age, then Bayonetta, and I just started Darksiders today. I'm guessing you're getting Mass Effect 2, and that's what I'm planning on playing after Darksiders.

You wouldn't, by chance, be considering Dante's Inferno? A part of me is put off by the fact that the marketing has be horrendous, and a part of me is put off by the fact that it's not similar to God of War, it pretty much is God of War, with their art assets pasted on top of Sony's game. On the other hand, God of War is fun, and near as I can tell from the demo Dante's Inferno is kinda fun too. And I do have a birthday the week before, and I don't really know what else to ask for since my Mass Effect 2 reserve is paid off...

Seriously, lately you've been playing the same games as me, just beating them before I do. First it was Uncharted 2, then Dragon Age, then Bayonetta, and I just started Darksiders today. I'm guessing you're getting Mass Effect 2, and that's what I'm planning on playing after Darksiders.

You wouldn't, by chance, be considering Dante's Inferno? A part of me is put off by the fact that the marketing has be horrendous, and a part of me is put off by the fact that it's not similar to God of War, it pretty much is God of War, with their art assets pasted on top of Sony's game. On the other hand, God of War is fun, and near as I can tell from the demo Dante's Inferno is kinda fun too. And I do have a birthday the week before, and I don't really know what else to ask for since my Mass Effect 2 reserve is paid off...

Hah! I haven't played Bayonetta and will probably pass on Dante's Inferno as well. I generally avoid this genre but the idea of playing as a hulking pissed off Link was just too good to pass up.

Will definitely be playing ME2, have it on pre-order with Amazon.

Apparently the motherlode of nostalgia (abandonware) have been posted on 4chan's torrent section.

Remember Command Keen, Raptor, Jill of the Jungle, Jazz Jackrabbit, Epic Pinball?

Although there are a couple of games that aren't abandonware yet. (eg. X-Com and Raptor are all I know).

Since 4chan is of couse an NSFW site, I'll post the links instead. You might need DoxBox.

If any of the mods feel I shouldn't have done this, feel free to delete or edit my post.

[edit]The Epic Megagames download contains screenshots and boxarts... I never knew some of these boxarts were so horrible... especially Jill of the Jungle.

Lemmings and X-Com are commercially available. Get rid of those links. Not sure of the other ones but if they can be bought in some shape of form legally they don't belong here.

Don't you mean "Dosbox", shiroikaze?

Oops.

Lemmings and X-Com are commercially available. Get rid of those links. Not sure of the other ones but if they can be bought in some shape of form legally they don't belong here.

Alright, if anyone knows if there are any other that shouldn't be there, let me know.

So far, looks like some of the games in the Apogee pack and Epic Megagames pack are still available comercially via 3DRealms and Epic Classic

Blake Stone 1-2

Commander Keen 1-5

Crystal Caves

Duke Nukem 1 & 2

Raptor: Call of the Shadows

Wolfenstein 3d

Brix

Dare to Dream

Electroman

Epic Pinball

Extreme Pinball

Jazz Jackrabbit

Jill of the Jungle

Kiloblaster

One Must Fall: 2097

Overkill

Seek and Destroy

Solar Winds

ZZT

Edited by shiroikaze

Alright, if anyone knows if there are any other that shouldn't be there, let me know.

I'm not familiar with any of those games, but if they're games that were made but never published, then they're still assigned copyright protections in the USA. Copyrights are automatically assigned to any original work as soon as it's been created.

And if the companies or authors that made those games no longer exist or are deceased, then they're still afforded copyright protections in the USA.

The only games that you should be posting links to are open source games, games that have entered public domain, or games that have been designated by their authors as shareware/freeware.

I'm not familiar with any of those games, but if they're games that were made but never published, then they're still assigned copyright protections in the USA. Copyrights are automatically assigned to any original work as soon as it's been created.

And if the companies or authors that made those games no longer exist or are deceased, then they're still afforded copyright protections in the USA.

The only games that you should be posting links to are open source games, games that have entered public domain, or games that have been designated by their authors as shareware/freeware.

That's kinda lame since alot of the old DOS games aren't really commercially distributed anymore. But I guess I'll remove the links, I don't want this forum to get into any potential trouble because of me.

Edited by shiroikaze

After finding a copy of Earthbound for the SNES dirt cheap ($5) and playing through for the first time since I was ~10 and then playing the English patched Mother 3 made me respect this series much more then I did as a child. Also Mother 3's ending reminded me so much of

Evangelion's ending with the main character deciding to recreate or destroy the world and with 1000 different theories

Very under appreciated series with one of the funniest and moving story's ever to be seen in a RPG. Play them if you haven't.

Rant - Do MMO RPG Suck or is it just me?

A friend recommended that I try the Star War Galaxies trial with him. Last computer game I played online was Star Wars Dark Forces 2. I thought why not lets see how thing have advanced in the last decade. I have a new high performance, HD laptop with a high speed Internet a modern game is gonna kick ass.

It didn't! Graphics suck, combat system sucks. Stand still and shot a gun in the head 50 times. Can't use some blaster till I reach a certain level. WTF? How hard is it to point a shot a gun?

As I understand it you pay monthly fees to play games? I start the game with sucky abilities, crappy weapons and bad clothes. Why can't I start with Storm Trooper Armor, two double light sabers and speeder bike? Why do I have to do all these crappy jobs for just 100 credits? If I'm paying to play why don't I get cool stuff from the start? Think I want to spend hours a day working for it? I'd play video games 1 hour a week. I want cool stuff now! If I pay to play give me good stuff and skills! And I want it Now!

Why does the graphics suck? Am I wrong for thinking this would be like PS3 Home but with Fricken Lasers? Look at PS3 Online games. The PS3 cost less than a computer you get to play online games at no extra charge. I can play Metal Gear Online get my ass kicked and called a F@g by other players but at least the graphic are cool, I get good clothes to wear and weapons to use and I don't pay extra.

MMO RPGs are scam aren't they?

I wouldn't base any judgment on the MMO genre on Galaxies, as it's widely regarded as well...a failure at this point. MMOs are actually by and large a good value. At the height of my wow playing it was all I really played game wise, thats only 15 bucks a month, versus the 60-180 dollars I might spend depending on the release month. It costs more to go to the movies and buy some twizzlers.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Rant - Do MMO RPG Suck or is it just me?

To be fair, like kaioftheforsaken says, you can't really judge MMOs by Galaxies. I think Galaxies has/had a few fans on these boards, but for the most part people thought it was crap, so SOE changed a bunch of stuff and everyone got even more pissed off at it. Another thing worth pointing out is that the game launched back in 2003. Stick a PS2 game in your PS3 and see how it looks, and then recall that the PS2 has fixed specs. While developers don't seem to mind making you buy a new graphics card every time a new shooter comes out, they try to make MMOs more mass-market by dumbing down the the graphics and what not so that an "average" computer can run it... which means Galaxies was designed to run on a Pentium III and Windows 98.

Now I'm not saying any of this to defend Galaxies or any other MMO. Because, IMHO, the answer to your original question is that yes, they do suck. Consider World of Warcraft, if you will. Now I'm sure there are some MMO players who are going to agree that WoW sucks and that we should consider their poison of choice instead, but with over 6 million players WoW is the de facto representative of the genre. And to be fair, WoW has colorful graphics, runs on almost any computer, and is pretty easy to learn. But the game itself is pretty much a series of looking for a guy, the guy telling you to kill x number of y, or bring him x number of some stupid crap by killing even more y. And it's hard to feel heroic collecting 20 zombie bear nutsacs for some old dude who lives in a shack in the woods when there's 6 million other guys doing it, and you have no idea what the purpose behind it all is.

Galaxies has become a travesty, they did a complete overhaul a while back to dumb it down/WoWify it. Even though I only played it a little before the change (since my rig at the time couldn't run it reliably) it was better the way it started honestly. Although the starship combat was still alright but no X-Wing/Tie Fighter/etc.

I played classic WoW from launch for about 2 years. It's pretty depressing to see how dumbed down it has become and how Blizzard tries to constantly steal innovative game play ideas it feels up and coming MMOs might have that will steal some of their audience away. I remember when WoW didn't even really have PVP to speak of and honestly even now it's a joke. That's not even getting into how the storyline is so sparse in comparison to Warcraft or the IP they ripped off of (Warhammer).

Not there's anything wrong with the concept but the argument of "6 million people can't be wrong" has all kinds of bad/silly/hilarious implications.

On a side note ebgames.com already charged me for my Mass Effect 2 collector's edition. Is that legal? :lol:

Considering it is probably in the box with a shipping label to your house on it already...yeah probably. I think they say "we wont charge you until it's ready to ship". Well the likelihood is it's ready. I have a few friends that work at retail GS and they are expecting their in store shipments before the week is over.

That's another thing that irks me--stuff like the Centaur. Those were half-assed kit-bashed designs both FX-wise and canonically. Yet they're in, and not the classes they were derived from. I'm surprised we don't have Yeager class instead of Intrepid...

I am basking my my nerdiness as I read this, and it is good.

Downloading STO beta now, supposed to have a key from Nvedia friday. If it dosne't pan out, I may need to snag an EB key.