The Gurren Lagann Thread.

Just one look at the pics posted in this thread is enough for me. Not a fan of this sort of anime at all.

Graham

Now that it's four months later I can EASILY say you're missing out.

If you're not a fan of this sort of anime then you must be real hard to please.

It's the BEST series of 2007.

Yeah graham. Stop wanting to look at old-style anime characters. You never know if the next macross will be inspired by hot bloodedness. Hehehe.

Oh yeah...Mac7 already done that. XD

Now that it's four months later I can EASILY say you're missing out.

If you're not a fan of this sort of anime then you must be real hard to please.

It's the BEST series of 2007.

I'm with UN on this one. Gurren Lagann makes you wanna go next door to see that ahole neighbor you have who lets his dog crap on your lawn, yell at him "Who the hell do you think I am!!", and punch his square in the face!

WHO THE F*** DO YOU THINK WE ARE?

F*(@! awesome!! I JUST WANNA YELL F*(!@(*@! now......F*!@&(*!@!!!

And lotsa Yomiko Readman Yomoko....urhhhh....Yoko Bewbage service. :D

What'd you guys think of Yoko's backstory?

You mean the "We need to set up a moment where the hero in question tears off her civilian clothing to reveal her costume and then proceed to open a can of whoop ass"? ^_^

I say its about time. Poor Yoko has been taking a backseat since Kamina's death. And i guess she still has to come to terms with it.

And been awhile since we've seen the "Gainax Bounce".

I just started watching this series due to an absence from downloading over the last year so I haven't read the whole thread for obvious reasons.

With that out of the way, Does anyone have or is getting the Gurren Lagan Impact Model?

http://www.hlj.com/product/KNM13488

The price isn't too bad for a 14cm figure (6") but does anyone know how good it is?

Not sure....but i'll be getting the Gurren 1s....and waiting for the flight version of the Gurren Lagann.

vi8775588587yi3.jpg

Episode 22 , I can't put it in words...so it was :ph34r: then :blink: and :wacko: with some :rolleyes: and finally B))

One spoiler:

ARC GURREN LAGANN

I can't WAIT. B))

...and spoiler tags not needed for that awesomeness.

Good Lord, I know this show is getting quite over-hyped but DAMN ! it´s just too freaking enjoyable, I personally haven´t had this fun since watching E7.

If there´s still people out there not watching this stuff then you´re loosing big time, gainax seriously redeemed themselves with this series (knock on wood), GL is probably one of the best executed mecha series in a LONG time

So F-ing ridiculously AWESOME!!! The show kinda got stale for a few weeks when it slowed down but now that it's picked back up, it's incredible! And the way the show is going, it doesn't look like the ending will suck either (I'm so tired of the typical anime ending where half the cast dies for no reason kinda like Kamina). This could definitely be the best anime of 2007. And I plan to get those Gurren-Lagann figures too b/c they are sweet! Hopefully we'll get to see a Arc-Gurren Lagann figure and I'm sure that the other big surprise in the episode will turn into some kinda robot and hopefully we'll see it as a figure too!

Good Lord, I know this show is getting quite over-hyped but DAMN ! it´s just too freaking enjoyable, I personally haven´t had this fun since watching E7.

If there´s still people out there not watching this stuff then you´re loosing big time, gainax seriously redeemed themselves with this series (knock on wood), GL is probably one of the best executed mecha series in a LONG time

*cough* Code Geass *cough*

Can't wait to go home and watch ep22 later though.

Protostar: Kamina = Obiwan Kenobi/Jesus, Simon = Luke Skywalker/ Us.

There obviously was a reason. :p

I haven't watched this yet, not even a single episode. What's so good about it?

Too be honest, the mecha designs really put me off. Not trying to be a troll, but they really look like something from a kiddies comedy anime.

Given that I generally only watch 'real robot' type war anime (Macross, Votoms, Blue Gender etc) and generally stay away from comedy anime, is it worth me trying this?

Graham

I'm sure you've been asked this before, but Graham, what did you think of Gunbuster?

What Keith said. If you liked Gunbuster, you'll like Gurren Lagann. And before watching this show but looking at all the pre-release images, I was like "WTF is with that mecha with the face in chest etc. This mecha will stink." Boy was I wrong. The show is full of epicness, for lack of a better word.

And I think people here are exaggerating by saying this is anime of the century cause I can think of other better candidates.

I'm sure you've been asked this before, but Graham, what did you think of Gunbuster?

I thought Gunbuster was just OK, but not the great classic that many people make it out to be.

Let me put it this way, I only own a very old VHS copy of Gunbuster and if something happened to the tape, I wouldn't feel a burning desire to replace it with a DVD.

For 80s' anime I'd much rather watch what I consider to be classics such as BGC, Gal Force, Votoms, AD Police, Patlabor, MegaZone 23, Guyver, Wicked City.

I dunno why, but apart from the Daicon shorts and Otako No Video, I've never really been impressed by or liked anything that Gainax has done.

Graham

I also got the WTH feeling when I first saw Gurren Lagann, but after 1-3 episode, I begin to like it.

I would dare to say that Arc Gurren Lagann >>> GunBuster (Hides)

From Gainax officila site:

mecha2_r4_c2_f13.jpg

Gunbuster can slice a planet, Arc Gurren Lagann can PUNCH an enemy into another dimension, now beat that :lol:

AWESOME ep 22. w00ts. Oh sure everyone gets "Plot Hero Armour" but i could care less for a show like GL. :clap:

And finally they found the Cathedral Terra, the battleship from episode 1 where Simon is going to blast the Anti-Spiral government with.

;)

I haven't watched this yet, not even a single episode. What's so good about it?

Too be honest, the mecha designs really put me off. Not trying to be a troll, but they really look like something from a kiddies comedy anime.

Given that I generally only watch 'real robot' type war anime (Macross, Votoms, Blue Gender etc) and generally stay away from comedy anime, is it worth me trying this?

Graham

I've been accused of being an anime elitist in the past... LOGH, Macross, Votoms, GITS SAC are my staples. I don't appreciate excessive fanservice or hokeyness, and at first I had the exact qualms about Gurren Lagann as you did. Still though I gave it a try, and I don't know what it is about Gurren Lagann, but I think it works, and is effing awesome. The

ridiculousness of it at times (in a sort of stated way) is what makes it so good. Again I usually don't go for shows like this, but somehow it just works, and is amazing. And its chock full of anime references. 22 is both a homage to Macross and Gundam (CCA) (wouldn't people say?)

Epiciticy indeed.