Aoshima Variable 1/48 Legioss for 2007

Save

So are there any pics floating around of the Aoshima legioss? They're slated for a July release so there has to be something. I preordered all three, but if they're simply rereleases of the Toynami's then I'll cancel.

While I don't imagine these will be much different from the Toynami MPCs I am also starting to really doubt they are just reissues of the Toynami products. Toynami sales its products based on them being limited editions and if they turned around and produced more for other markets they would be burning their customers. I am much more inclined to believe they will be extremely similar to the MPC but with the improvements any moron would have made to that line after inspecting one or two samples.

Now, Toynami's Ride Armors, those might get sold in multiple markets simultaneously. I could see that happening so long as Toynami sticks to the production numbers they announce (something it's already too late to do with the Alphas).

Are those the Toynami MPCs?

Yacolog also mentioned Aoshima's photos look just like MPC.

I pulled out my battle damaged MPC for comparison just to break(more like crumble) it's left hand at last.

Aoshima site says that their Legioss is 175mm.

My MPC alpha came out to be around 173mm.

I shouldn't jump to conclusion but they are darn close...

If these ARE the Toynami MPC's then I'd say Toynami is treading on dangerous ground here. The originals were marketed as highly collectible and very limited. That was how they justified the very high MSRP. This could seriously piss off a lot of their customers who paid the high price. I know I'd be outraged if I had bought one of the MPC's

Well, despite the MPC heritage, Aoshima/Miracle House has a reputation for solidly made diecast collectibles with generally impeccable finishing. Their 'Shin Seiki Gokin' series has produced a number of beautiful Getter Robo related toys, and more recently, they have sold the diecast 1/72 SPACE: 1999 Eagle, etc which were also licensed products made by another UK company. This may or may not mean that Aoshima will introduce more stringent QC or improvements to the MPC to ensure their reputation does not get tarnished. Hopefully, the usual Japanese hobby mags will have some decent photo spreads in the run-up to actual production.

Edited by drifand

If these ARE the Toynami MPC's then I'd say Toynami is treading on dangerous ground here. The originals were marketed as highly collectible and very limited. That was how they justified the very high MSRP. This could seriously piss off a lot of their customers who paid the high price. I know I'd be outraged if I had bought one of the MPC's

Seconded... Toynami is about to destroy the value of their own products and reputation if all is as it seems. What might be cool is if these are versions of the MPCs without diecast (or less of it) or something.

Edited by jenius

I dont understand how they could be reproducing the MPCs in the first place...

Same way Epoch released Superposable Mospeada Legioss toys, Toynami shopped them around to the various Japanese companies they know or Aoshima themselves approached Toynami.

Given the short time frame anybody expecting more than vry minor cosmetic changes and of course different Japanese language packaging are probably going to be disappointed IMO.

Perhaps the 'limited' production status only relates to Toynami's home-market MPC line, and not that of other overseas distributions/derivatives? At any rate, it will surely be more costly to import one of the apparent overseas releases after currency conversion and shipping costs than the o.g. MPC did in the first place.

I paid the high price for all four of mine, but strangely, I feel no outrage welling from within :lol:

As I don't have one myself, what do owners of the MPCs think could be improved in the short term to make them more 'solid', desirable?

- Sturdier materials for the hands? Optional PVC fixed pose hands?

- Better springs and detents for the joints?

- Better paint and finishing? Tampo markings?

- Display stand?

- More accessories? HBT cells? Miniature Cyclone and figurines?

You know what, if these new ones are simply copies of the MPCs, but with changes like better paint apps, fixed arched back fighter problem, more durable materials, better placed die-cast, and ratchety joints, it would probably be worth the MPC price...

As I don't have one myself, what do owners of the MPCs think could be improved in the short term to make them more 'solid', desirable?

- Sturdier materials for the hands? Optional PVC fixed pose hands?

- Better springs and detents for the joints?

- Better paint and finishing? Tampo markings?

- Display stand?

- More accessories? HBT cells? Miniature Cyclone and figurines?

You really handle one to see it.. Mine, the gun hand just cracked, I'm not happy. :(

Anyway, my list of improvements:

• Redone hands, definitely. POM, maybe, but definitely not the rubbery stuff the MPC comes with.
  • Better joints, as in, joints that are less limited in motion. This is especially true of the shoulders, which is kind of restrictive. Upper arm too. Hips may benefit from using ball joints but the transformation might be a constraint.
  • Better waist joint. There's no real need for a telescopic waist joint, and it jammed on mine once. I rather have waist that can twist rather then the silly telescope.
  • Better joints anywhere it has to take weight, such as in the legs/ ankles. I noticed a tendency for the feet to sag now.
  • Better head/ neck design. The current design encounters too much friction somewhere; the paint is rubbing off for some reason, and the Red/ Zeta type's head is fugly while we are at it.
  • Better missile launcher positioning/ design, especially the forearm missiles. Some of them are so badly positioned that they are shooting into the inner sides of the arms. Definitely need improvements there.
  • Integral side sensor. Currently it needs to be fitted on manually in Diver and Battroid, and it's a fiddly piece that can easily go missing. I rather it be integrated.
  • A proper securing mount for a loaded rifle in Fighter. Right now, you need to remove the clip the mount the rifle, meaning YET another fiddly bit to keep track of.
  • More ground clearance in Fighter. Chest compartment can be reduced (and that fiddly idiotic MOSPEDA deleted from the package!).
  • Better landing gears. Especially the back. I have one wheel with insufficient rubber, such that there's a large and obvious gap in the tyre... :blink:
  • Better overall fit in terms of locks. The arched back is mainly due to this (as you need everything to be locked together in Fighter, which introduces a bit of arch), so a better fit would go a long way to removing the arc.
  • LESS f@%#king diecast. Yes, LESS. Or at least, put it where it matters, like in the legs (where it is good for balance), but not in the torso (where it does piddley squat).
In review, the best thing would be to redesign from scratch. Too many fiddly problems. And if Aoshima is really picking the MPC for their line, I feel ashamed for them, really...

Now that I looked over my list of improvements, I have to conclude that there is no one fatal flaw in the Toynami MPC, but a bunch of minor and irritating flaws that reduces the value. Death by a thousand paper cuts, as they say.

You guys are nuts.

No way this will be a "fixed" version, and no way is this a slap in the face to previous buyers. North America had a, what, 2 year exclusive? Besides, at the prices Aoshima is selling these for, it doesn't look like they are any less "collectable" than they used to be. It's not like they were ever rare or hard to get anyhow.

no way is this a slap in the face to previous buyers. North America had a, what, 2 year exclusive?

You musta bought a different MPC than the one I bought. Mine says it's limited to a production run of 15K. Apparently yours has the additional small print that says "In the American market." Making something limited only in a certain geographic area in a society that has things as miraculous as airplanes makes that "limited" term meaningless.

You musta bought a different MPC than the one I bought. Mine says it's limited to a production run of 15K. Apparently yours has the additional small print that says "In the American market." Making something limited only in a certain geographic area in a society that has things as miraculous as airplanes makes that "limited" term meaningless.

If someone bought an Alpha assuming the "limited" print was an iron-clad promise then I guess they're screwed. I'm not saying this isn't them going back on what they initially said, but I am saying that I don't imagine very many people give a poo, and I'm sure Toynami cares even less.

A collecter's (who's money they already have) hurt feelings that his Alpha isn't quite as "limited" as it once was versus profits from the Asian nostalgia market...tough call for Toynami/HG on that one.

I find it hard to believe that anyone cares about this one way or the other. The Toynami's aren't gonna appreciate much anyway, at least this way Asian Mospeada fans can have a decent, modern Alpha/Legioss without importing one.

Making something limited only in a certain geographic area in a society that has things as miraculous as airplanes makes that "limited" term meaningless.

Perhaps, but doesn't stop it happening over and over again, look at DVD region codes, region locked/crippled for specific region consoles, companies love to control things by region as it lets them set different pricing and such extra money by licenses for each region.

Also the different names (Alpha Fighter and Legioss) are rather important, especially considering we are talking about Robotech and Mospeada which are legally are seperate though related things.

No, you guys are right, Toynami seriously has no obligations here and anyone who bought their products has no right ot expect them to really mean what they say. After all, Toynami did say that the initial VF-1 MPCs would only be 10K and then upped that number to 15K after receiving a bunch of pre-orders (which obviously de-values what the people who pre-ordered before the number change had paid for).

F-that, you guys are wrong. People absolutely have a right to be pissed that their collectibles are being devalued by a company looking to make more money no matter how logical that search for more money is. What would people say if Yamato re-released the VF-1A LV1 as a mass production run with a different name? When people say something is limiited they're expected to live up to that, don't be apologists of some sort and give them an easy way out. For my own part, I am far more upset with the principals being pissed on here than anything to do with value. If I tell you something is one of a kind I mean that it's the only one in existence, I don't mean that it's the only one that I'm calling by a particular name.

If they reboxed them as mospeada technically they are from a different world with different characters though aren't they?

They could have improvements like strong plastic instead of diecast, better locking together of parts, just generally higher quality materials. Then just release the mpc as mospeada toys on RT.com later on for purists of the original japanese show.

No reason why toynami can't do both the robotech versions of things as well as the mospeada version of things.

After all we got "macross" toys from them (1/100 vf-1) alongside robotech toys (the veritech mpc including jack archer repaint) and that caters to international fans of either show. (couldn't they just cheat and say this new line of mpc are the mospeada line??)

No, you guys are right, Toynami seriously has no obligations here and anyone who bought their products has no right ot expect them to really mean what they say. After all, Toynami did say that the initial VF-1 MPCs would only be 10K and then upped that number to 15K after receiving a bunch of pre-orders (which obviously de-values what the people who pre-ordered before the number change had paid for).

You've got it exactly right here. I don't know where the confusion is.

And anyone who bought an Alpha as a valuable "collectable" and not simply as a cool toy of a show they liked was being foolish anyway. They were selling these things out of bargin bins in gamestop for christ's sake.

I have all four Alphas, and I can't even imagine a world where I would be upset that they are releasing more.