Official - Weapons Banter Thread

Mechamaniac

Top pic.

One of my favorite outdoor ranges in HK, the Disciplined Service Shooting Association outdoor range at 'Kau To Shan', now sadly closed. Lots of steel 'Pepper Popper' targets to knock down.

Bottom Pic

Me back in 1992 during my basic training with the Royal Hong Kong Regiment (the Volunteers) RHKR(V). issue weapon was the 7.62mm FN FAL (L1A1 SLR). Can't believe how young I look in that photo!

Graham

Nice 12ga Graham, It looks almost like mine except for the mag extension and a few more custom parts ;) ,I hacked off my long hair too. The ladies liked it in the 80's and early 90's, but not too much past then :lol:

Favorite real weapons:

Katana

Mini-Gun (like the one held by the Terminator in T2)

Ak-47 (can take a lickin and keep on tickin)

Favorite Sci-Fi Weapons

Reason (read Snow Crash to figure out what reason is)

Tachyon Gun from Privateer (what? It's the best overall gun in that game)

Beam weapons from Freespace 2

That's my short list.

And remember, ALWAYS listen to Reason.

Hey Graham,

Nick Cage called, he wants his DNA back.

post-26-1066220614.jpg

Holy Cow!,

I knew thier was something thier,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hey, maybe he IS him disguised as Graham so he doesnt get all of us wanting his autograph, or brother maybe

Does any here have or used a BAR?

I tried picking up a BAR once...too damned heavy. I know that there are companies now in the US servicing World War II reenactors that produce a semi-auto firing BAR....that way you don't have to go through the whole rigamaroll of getting a Class III Weapons Permit (IIRC, thats the one needed). I wanna be able to get a Bren Gun personally....

I know that there are companies now in the US servicing World War II reenactors that produce a semi-auto firing BAR....that way you don't have to go through the whole rigamaroll of getting a Class III Weapons Permit

So what's nessesary to get one of those?

Check this link for info from your state:

http://www.packing.org/

I know that there are companies now in the US servicing World War II reenactors that produce a semi-auto firing BAR....that way you don't have to go through the whole rigamaroll of getting a Class III Weapons Permit

Couldn't really find anything on getting a hold of a BAR. But then again I don't even know where to start looking for that info...

Couldn't really find anything on getting a hold of a BAR. But then again I don't even know where to start looking for that info...

The laws won't be any different than any other semi-auto which you can pick up at you local Wal-Mart. I'd suggest calling around your local gun shops. Be sure to specify that you want a GI BAR since there is also a hunting rifle by browning commonly reffered to as a semi-auto BAR. Also be prepared to pay big money. $4000 -$5000

Check out this site. It loads really slowly. They make what you want but if you live outside of Ohio you'll have to get it through a local FFL liscenced dealer.

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/

Check out Shotgun News....I think they have vendors selling the SLR reciever. You basically have to buy a BAR Parts Kit and then use the SLR reciever. Sorry about that, had forgotten that they were basically selling only the reciever.

It's actually illegal to build a new gun from a parts kit without the proper license. The kits can only be used for refubising an already existing weapon. Dealers don't usually volunteer that info because they want you to buy thier kits. <_< You have to have an FFL to buy a reciever through the mail anyway.

They won't specify per individual weapon, but per the TYPE of weapon. In your state the semi auto BAR may be considered a regular rifle, or it may be considerd an assault weapon.

Here's how it works in Maryland, most states are probably similar, if not easier since Maryland is the anti-gun, pc capital of the left wing world.

Since the BAR has a box magazine that is located foreward of the trigger guard, the anti gun pussies in your state may have deemed it EVIL looking, and put it on the list of "assault" weapons. If that is the case, then you will have to treat it as a pistol purchase, and put in the paperwork, and wait 7 - 14 days etc.

If it is not on the list, then it is treated no differently than any other semi auto rifle, and can be purchased over the counter by anyone over the age of 18, and carried out of the store that day.

If you buy a full auto version...(first, the weapon alone will cost you thousands).

You must obtain a class III weapons permit - This basically means that you have to get permission from your State Police, and the FBI for you to own the weapon. The fine print on the class III permit usually stipulates that you will store the weapon ONLY in a proper safe, and that it will be there AT ALL TIMES. The finer print usually stipulates that the FBI or the State Police can come in and search your premesis AT ANY TIME, to ensure that the weapon is indeed in your posession, and being stored properly etc. On top of that, it costs at least 100 dollars for the application fee, and it doesn't end there, usually, you have to pay a fee every year to keep the class III permit active.

In the long run, they try to make it financially prohibitive so that only dealers will really be able to comply with all the crap they make you do. Additionally, as expensive as .30-06 ammo is these days, you would probably only be able to afford to shoot the thing once in a blue moon, and when you did, you'd drop 50 bucks in about three seconds flat as you emptied each magazine.

Seeing as I have helped some cops with their Class III ATF Form 4 paperwork to get automatic weapons, here is an exact list of the things that must be done to get one:

- you must live in a state that does not bar private citizens from owning class III weapons (only about half the states out there allow them, and even those states it can be near impossible to get one without propper "connections")

- you must contact the BATF and get what is known as a "Form 4 permit applicaiton for a tax stamp" (the class III permit is actually a tax stamp like the things you see on booze and cigarettes)

- You must fill out the form completely (not much harder than your average NICS yellow sheet)

- You must submit a recent (within the last year) photo of yourself from front and back along with a full set of fingerprints.

- You must get a signed letter of approval from your local LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) of appropriate rank to approve something like this (it can be from the chief of police, local sherrif, local DA or anyone in the top end of the legal field. The ATF website has a list. This is the part of the application process that is nearly impossible for most people)

- You must submit the completed form, photo and fingerprint cards with the approval letter with a payment of $200 for each Form 4 submitted to the BATF.

- When your application is submitted it undergoes a federal background check performed by the BATF using FBI files. This process takes between 6 months and a year to complete.

- Upon approval of your application the BATF mails you in a certified envelope your tax stamp paperwork with which you can legally purchase one automatic weapon, automatic sear or a registered receiver that will become an automatic weapon.

- Limitations on what you as a private citizen can buy: due to the 1986 Automatic weapons act private citizens who have a Class III Form 4 permit can no longer own, build or be in possession of a machine gun or other like weapon or item manufactered after 1986. This means any and all guns you could possibly own must have been registered as a machine gun with the BATF prior to the law's enactment in 1986. That is why most machine guns on the market are all old. Anything that does not fall into that category is classified as a post '86 law enforcement only model or a post '86 dealer sample that are only ownable by law enforcement entities like the FBI and local police departments (NOT individual officers) or they can be held by a Class II/III dealer for transfer to those entities.

Getting a legal machine gun in the US is one of the hardest and costliest things to do. Not only is all of the above true but most of the time you never find the gun you want in your state and you have to have it transfered from another state in to your local Class III dealer, which costs an additional $200 transfer fee plus all the other taxes. The cheapest Class III machine gun on the market is the Cobray (Ingram) M-10/45 (commonly called the Mac-10), you can get them for about $1,200 plus the tax fee, sales tax and any other transfer fees.

Seeing as I have helped some cops with their Class III ATF Form 4 paperwork to get automatic weapons, here is an exact list of the things that must be done to get one:

- you must live in a state that does not bar private citizens from owning class III weapons (only about half the states out there allow them, and even those states it can be near impossible to get one without propper "connections")

- you must contact the BATF and get what is known as a "Form 4 permit applicaiton for a tax stamp" (the class III permit is actually a tax stamp like the things you see on booze and cigarettes)

- You must fill out the form completely (not much harder than your average NICS yellow sheet)

- You must submit a recent (within the last year) photo of yourself from front and back along with a full set of fingerprints.

- You must get a signed letter of approval from your local LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) of appropriate rank to approve something like this (it can be from the chief of police, local sherrif, local DA or anyone in the top end of the legal field. The ATF website has a list. This is the part of the application process that is nearly impossible for most people)

- You must submit the completed form, photo and fingerprint cards with the approval letter with a payment of $200 for each Form 4 submitted to the BATF.

- When your application is submitted it undergoes a federal background check performed by the BATF using FBI files. This process takes between 6 months and a year to complete.

- Upon approval of your application the BATF mails you in a certified envelope your tax stamp paperwork with which you can legally purchase one automatic weapon, automatic sear or a registered receiver that will become an automatic weapon.

- Limitations on what you as a private citizen can buy: due to the 1986 Automatic weapons act private citizens who have a Class III Form 4 permit can no longer own, build or be in possession of a machine gun or other like weapon or item manufactered after 1986. This means any and all guns you could possibly own must have been registered as a machine gun with the BATF prior to the law's enactment in 1986. That is why most machine guns on the market are all old. Anything that does not fall into that category is classified as a post '86 law enforcement only model or a post '86 dealer sample that are only ownable by law enforcement entities like the FBI and local police departments (NOT individual officers) or they can be held by a Class II/III dealer for transfer to those entities.

Getting a legal machine gun in the US is one of the hardest and costliest things to do. Not only is all of the above true but most of the time you never find the gun you want in your state and you have to have it transfered from another state in to your local Class III dealer, which costs an additional $200 transfer fee plus all the other taxes. The cheapest Class III machine gun on the market is the Cobray (Ingram) M-10/45 (commonly called the Mac-10), you can get them for about $1,200 plus the tax fee, sales tax and any other transfer fees.

I think the price is even higher now, one guy i ussed to work with stopped renewing his cause of cost

You don't have to renew a tax stamp, they are a one time payment deal. He is most likely renewing an FFL or Class II/III license.

Sorry, I though you were talking FFL

Im a bad speed reader, we wont get into my spelling

Well as far as the BAR goes I'm not looking for the full auto one, and I'm not taking it out to a range often, all I really want is a bad-ass display piece that can shoot.

I wonder if any of the gun laws are going to change here in California with the Terminator as govenor. The gun laws have always been one of the things that piss me off about this state...

I hear ya, Druna :( Fellow Califronian here. Seems there are alot of Cali people here ^_^

Damn... I knew none of this and had a mac...

Granted... it was aquired from some-one leaving the country for a while a whole lot cheaper than that... and sold back at a tidy profit a year later. I think I ponyed up for ammo twice during the year... "yippie... look at me... I just spent $50 shooting a cans, trees, and dirt". Might be a good weapon for crowd control in close quarters... but lord knows you'd be toast against anyone with a rifle who could shoot.

So I can only assume that my friends shouldn't be modifying firing pins on non-chinese made AK's?

should I also assume that I shouldn't put "modified sound supressors" in my trade post :rolleyes:

I've seen some home made guns... and I don't mean saturday night specials either. Amazing what can be accomplished with a proper machine shop.... anybody here dabbled?

nobody's answered my question about a 380 colt that looks just like a PPK? :blink:

i'm actually thinkin of getting into airsoft to try and have some fun with guns!  i want to get a tokyo mauri m733 commando carbine.  anyone here do airsoft?

I bought an airsoft rifle last spring. I got a Tokyo Mauri FN P-90. It's a blast to shoot on full auto! Airsoft guns are a relatively cheap way to get replicas of guns you aren't allowed to own (like the P-90) or can't afford as well as being fun to shoot. I haven't tried it yet, but you can find groups who have war games with airsoft (similar to how paintball is used). It looks like it would be fun. I think airsoft is quite a bit more popular in Japan and Asia than it is in the States, but I think it's growing here.

Watching the restored The Good, The Bad & The Ugly last night just reaffirmed my desire....no, need to get a nice Colt Navy clone.

:blink::blink::lol:

Let me know if you find two :rolleyes:

ps... airsoft makes paint balls that fire from their guns... so it pretty much is paintball with realistic weapons. I just love paint grenades ;)

Watching the restored The Good, The Bad & The Ugly last night just reaffirmed my desire....no, need to get a nice Colt Navy clone.

LOL! I should be asking you that. You Yanks can just stroll into Cabellas and pick up a pair of percussion sixguns for about $300, no paperwork required. But here...let me whet your appetite with this picture:

post-26-1066330292.jpg

Edited by bsu legato

LOL! I should be asking you that. You Yanks can just stroll into Cabellas and pick up a pair up percussion sixguns for about $300, no paperwork required. But here...let me whet your appetite with this picture:

at work, Im about 1/4 mile (.3333 clicks) away from the nearest gun shop/target range ;) gotta love America