General Vintage Gakken Mospeada Question

emerson

All this recent talk about Mospeada has rekindled my interest in the vintage Gakkens.

Quick question: "The Henshin Robo." What is it?

Were these repackaged by Gakken for sale outside of Japan? For some reason, my memory is telling me that these were manufactured by Gakken Singapore?

If someone could shed some light, I would be much obliged. Thanks!

You are correct on both counts.

Thanks, Jenius. That was fast!

And the Gakken Singapore Mospeada toys were intended for sale just in Singapore (that's a tiny market), or for Southeast Asia as a region? Greater China? All pan-Asia, ex-Japan?

Just curious, is all...The packaging is still clearly labelled "Mospeada." Wondering what the significance of adding "The Henshin Robo" is...

"Henshin" means "change."

There are so many box variations of the Legioss, I think if you count up all of the Gakken/Select and Matchbox versions, there are five in total? Six?

I think the idea was just to get some English packaging out there for English-speaking markets. Some of the box variations say "Robotech," others don't.

"Henshin" means "change."

There are so many box variations of the Legioss, I think if you count up all of the Gakken/Select and Matchbox versions, there are five in total? Six?

I think the idea was just to get some English packaging out there for English-speaking markets. Some of the box variations say "Robotech," others don't.

Yea, all the Mospeada toys my brothers and I saved up for back in the 80's were all in Robotech packaging. I think the original Japanese box art and design was herds better.

I used to think Henshin Robos were what was sold in Europe but I've since been corrected on that one. Apparently Henshin Robo was Gakkens way of reaching other markets (as you've heard) and then once Excite & Matchbox got in on Robotech distribution everything US then received the Robotech branding. I think it really all just boils down to a distribution game and whoever was distributing (and whoever they were distributing for in the way of a license holder) had a hand in what the box would look like. There are several variants of the packaging to hunt down if you feel so inclined. Gakken of Singapore is easily the more prolific Gakken product, finding genuine Gakken of Japan stuff can be quite tricky.