Should We Release the current alpha of the Macross TC

Lestat

The modelling is almost complete, but we lack the manpower to handle the HW2 side of things. Do you people think you'd like to see what we've done in-game in order to attract much needed new blood into the mod?

Hmm, well it is really up to you.

But from the rough estimates you gave, I myself do not suggest releasing a alpha, but thats just me. Other people would have different opinions.

Why not make a video showing off what you have in terms of gameplay and models that are already done? It would definitely tell people that the project is not dead.

And maybe if you updated your ModDB section for the mod with the video and request for modelers it would definitely work out. The last time you updated your mod in there was like a year ago...

Glad your back Lestat. :)

well,why not?

I noticed you guys haven't release a lot of updates in the past few months and years.

I doubt anyone out there actually knows what you guys are up to.

A lot of the good mods i have played in the past,usually releases a half done version of the mod as their first version.

But they keep updating their mod and let the public keep track of their work easily,by posting it in various forums and places with a lot of people.

A lot of talented and interested modders stumbled onto it randomly and offer to help volunteerely .

In the end,the mod keeps getting better and better.

I am a Chinese Macross and HW2 fan.

There are many people know this mod in China ,they always ask this mod's progress .So I think the Release of the current alpha of the Macross TC will attract new blood from Chinese fans!

I've been working on a Gunbuster to be exported to HW2, but i couldn't make it work without crashing the game. It's all done, the model, the goblin, the lod, the texture, .ship file, .wepn, exported to .hod still can't make it work without crashing while loading the map, anyway if you want i could try to help you guys with the project, but i really don't know at all how to mod HW2.

One thing to consider is doing what other mods have done and simply release the mod with the new models.

New coding can be tested and fixed for the beta release. This way the bugs remain internal and won't frustrate the fans.

The fans get to play HW2 with the Macross models and that always attracts and inspires help.

Many successful mods start out this way and grow by simply adding to existing releases making them more popular.

Frequent updates in the forums, site and mod sites help to let fans know it is not just another abandoned mod floating around.

Something to consider

I've been working on a Gunbuster to be exported to HW2, but i couldn't make it work without crashing the game. It's all done, the model, the goblin, the lod, the texture, .ship file, .wepn, exported to .hod still can't make it work without crashing while loading the map, anyway if you want i could try to help you guys with the project, but i really don't know at all how to mod HW2.

Is the "map" an existing HW2 map or a new one?

If it's a new one try using an exitisting map, if not then you may be missing something in the coding. The mod tools should have some sort of bug reporting software that you can use. Check modding forums too, you problem may be more common than you think.

Edited by Zinjo

Is the "map" an existing HW2 map or a new one?

If it's a new one try using an exitisting map, if not then you may be missing something in the coding. The mod tools should have some sort of bug reporting software that you can use. Check modding forums too, you problem may be more common than you think.

It is an existing HW2 map. I exported the hod with 0 errors or warnings, all the excel files also were exported without problems. The problem is when i try to load a skirmish game, the game just crash, i don't get into game.

It is an existing HW2 map. I exported the hod with 0 errors or warnings, all the excel files also were exported without problems. The problem is when i try to load a skirmish game, the game just crash, i don't get into game.

Try other game types to narrow it down.

It may only be the coding for the skirmish game type which will narrow down where you'd need to look (can you tell I used to test game mods.... :p ).

Oh yeah this is gonna win me soem fans....

I say NO. At least not yet. I would suggest making a plea on RELIC boards and appeal to the community's spirit that you are done modeling and need some help on the HW2 side of things (ie conversion, etc).

I know of a few mods in the past that from the start were community projects, but those fell apart due to the core leadership dropping the ball.

That is NOT the case with DYRL, your leadership is strong and I think the attempt to gather new skilled people should come one last time before just uploading the whole alpha now unfinished...

I think the whole experience you get from the mod will be increased by that instead of viewing a half-finished work beforehand. That's just this guy's opinion.

Edited by Star Dragon

Oh yeah this is gonna win me soem fans....

I say NO. At least not yet. I would suggest making a plea on RELIC boards and appeal to the community's spirit that you are done modeling and need some help on the HW2 side of things (ie conversion, etc).

I know of a few mods in the past that from the start were community projects, but those fell apart due to the core leadership dropping the ball.

That is NOT the case with DYRL, your leadership is strong and I think the attempt to gather new skilled people should come one last time before just uploading the whole alpha now unfinished...

I think the whole experience you get from the mod will be increased by that instead of viewing a half-finished work beforehand. That's just this guy's opinion.

Replacing models and allowing players to use them in game is not an unfinished Alpha. The mod will be completely playable only without all the extra mod specific effects included. That will come later and only enhance the experience for players.

There are two ways to release a mod as far as I've seen.

a) You release a basic beta (or "alpha"-depending on your definition) with swapped out models and build a fanbase from "users" who will get others on board via word of mouth.

b) The other method is to regularly update those browsing your message boards and hope that enough stick it out until you have a stable beta with models and initial effects.

The second is often preferable by groups but also takes much longer and the risks are the loss of most of the fanbase before the mod sees it's first release (I've seen that too), particularly for a group with no known track record to point to (even known groups run that risk dispite their previous accolades).

The Battlefield 1942 mod Desert Combat did the model swap and worked that method for their first release (they didn't even replace all the models :rolleyes: ). Then finally after 7 full releases and a huge fanbase following, the development stopped because the game publisher hired the team on.

At the height of their popularity there were many well known modders who either joined them or asked to join them because everyone wants to be part of a popular mod....

But my point is that in modding if you don't feed the fickle fans, they tend to move on.

Something to consider, but ultimately your call.

Edited by Zinjo

One thing to consider is doing what other mods have done and simply release the mod with the new models.

New coding can be tested and fixed for the beta release. This way the bugs remain internal and won't frustrate the fans.

The fans get to play HW2 with the Macross models and that always attracts and inspires help.

Many successful mods start out this way and grow by simply adding to existing releases making them more popular.

Frequent updates in the forums, site and mod sites help to let fans know it is not just another abandoned mod floating around.

Something to consider

Agreed - been following this for a while - even releasing some type of vid will inspire people and bring in some assistance where and when, need be. Frequent updates and screenies would be great.

Keep up the good work. - looking forward to installing this :)

Gunbuster is working now. Not 100%, but i can get it in-game now. Need to fix its arms&legs movements (it doesn't move all the time). Don't know if it will work. At least the head rotates. It wasn't a problem in the model, it is just that the relic tools sux. It came to work by NOT using the "oficial relic sdk way".

Screenshots:

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

---EDIT---

Now it can move it's arms perfectly. Just need to add the engine glow and few little details and it should be finished.

IPB Image

Edited by akt_m

Gunbuster is working now. Not 100%, but i can get it in-game now. Need to fix its arms&legs movements (it doesn't move all the time). Don't know if it will work. At least the head rotates. It wasn't a problem in the model, it is just that the relic tools sux. It came to work by NOT using the "oficial relic sdk way".

Screenshots:

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

---EDIT---

Now it can move it's arms perfectly. Just need to add the engine glow and few little details and it should be finished.

IPB Image

wow..just wow

I'm speechless

now if you could create Ideon for this game

you will be the new god of mecha :D

The model is done, not very well done (didn't optimized the polycount, should be around 4000 and the proportions are not 100% ok), just need to UV and texturize it and insert into game. 30% done i would say.

I searched in youtube and only found attacks for Ideon, the sword that comes out from its hands, the blue gun and the missiles that comes out from its arms and legs. I can say that the sword and the missiles could be easily done, the blue gun i would have some big problems to do the "tsunami" that comes out of it.

Also can't figure out where is the thruster or the engines.

Sorry for using this topic this way. I guess there aren't any problems are there???

IPB Image

-edit-----

DL HERE: http://rapidshare.com/files/26041156/GUNBU..._IDEON.rar.html

Edited by akt_m

Sorry for using this topic this way. I guess there aren't any problems are there???

Just to tell ya you are going off topic and we are talking about the release for Macross TC, I don't want to be mean but make another thread for this. People get upset when they see a thread updated with off topic information.

Edited by Ishimaru

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...