The Watchmen

wolfx

What did you think of the Watchmen movie?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Watchmen movie

• 5 stars - Its awesome! I love it! I couldn't ask for more.
    • 4 stars - Pretty good adaptation. Wished it was more accurate to the comic though.
    • 3 stars - It was alright. They shouldn't have mosaic-ed Manhattan's unmentionables.
    • 2 stars - Barely passable....they got alot of facts from the comic wrong! The timelines are screwed up!
    • 1 star - The only great thing about this movie were the sex scenes
  2. 2. Did you read the Watchmen comic before watching the movie? Did you enjoy the movie overall?

• Read the comic , enjoyed the movie.
    • Read the comic, hated the movie.
    • Did not read the comic, enjoyed the movie.
    • Did no read the comic, hated the movie.

Yep, I hate everything ever made. There's absolutely nothing I like. At all.

I'm a bitter shell of a man who drinks chilled puppy blood.

(Really, now...just because some of us are not thrilled or supportive of this movie, that means we don't like ANYTHING? Please...)

There are a lot people on this board who are WAY too critical...and have extremely high expectations. When a new thread pops up, about a new movie coming out, the typical response is "my childhood is being raped (again)." Hell, that kind of response is almost expected on this message board. I would be very surprised if I didn't see a response like that...and would probably think that pigs are flying and hell is freezing over. It's quite annoying actually....

Anyway...I finally saw the movie tonight and I thought it was pretty good. I give it a B...B+ at best. It's definitely no Dark Knight, but it's far from being disappointing. I'll more than likely see it again to catch anything I might have missed. I really like how the characters come across...in that they're mortals like the rest of us.

Edited by Oihan

There are a lot of people on this board who are WAY too critical...and have extremely high expectations. When a new thread pops up, about a new movie coming out, the typical response is "my childhood is being raped (again)." Hell, that kind of response is almost expected on this message board. I would be very surprised if I didn't see a response like that...and would probably think that pigs are flying and hell is freezing over. It's quite annoying actually....

Welcome to Sci-fi/anime fandom. We are always nit-picky over critical bastards.

Taksraven

I gotta disgree, slightly, with you. I thought the casting was well done. Every character was cast pretty well. Rorschach was excellent, the best part of the film. I only had one real problem with the film, the sex scene in 'Archie' was waaaaaaay too gratuitous... In the book, there was nothing like it. I gotta remove a couple respect point from Snyder for that... he was doing so well, up to that point.

The whole time I kept thinking how that scene was so very similar to the sex scene in 300. Well, almost the whole time. :D

...horrible dialogue/script writing, atrocious acting and too much blue wang and man ass..

ok fight scenes, Rorschach and Silk Spectre II made it somewhat tolerable..

meh worth seeing once..

The fight scene in the prison was also reminiscent to the 300 fight scene where Silk Spectre and Night Owl are walking down the corridor kicking ass along the way with the slow-mo pauses for each blow. Not that it was a bad thing or that I didn't like it, just not really new.

Edited by sharky

The fight scene in the prison was also reminiscent to the 300 fight scene where Silk Spectre and Night Owl are walking down the corridor kicking ass along the way with the slow-mo pauses for each blow. Not that it was a thing bad or that I didn't like it, just not really new.

I was pleasantly surprised that the WHOLE movie did not turn out like that. All in all, I thought it was pretty good. Now I just have to read the novel to compare.

There are a lot people on this board who are WAY too critical...and have extremely high expectations. When a new thread pops up, about a new movie coming out, the typical response is "my childhood is being raped (again)." Hell, that kind of response is almost expected on this message board. I would be very surprised if I didn't see a response like that...and would probably think that pigs are flying and hell is freezing over. It's quite annoying actually....

meh I went in with no expectations. Didn't care how accurate it was vs the comic book. I just wanted to be entertained. And for the most part, I wasn't.

The Black Freighter and Under the hood dvd is out. Watched both Black freighter I never really liked, so the animated one was still meh. Under the hood on the other hand was awesome. Anyone who watched the movie and enjoyed it I'm sure would enjoy it.

Edited by bob joe mac

The Black Freighter and Under the hood dvd is out. Watched both Black freighter I never really liked, so the animated one was still meh. Under the hood on the other hand was awesome. Anyone who watched the movie and enjoyed it I'm sure would enjoy it.

Under the Hood was the only reason I was considering picking it up. So is it animated or live action? How long is it?

Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic dvd is pretty damn impressive, btw.

I gotta disgree, slightly, with you. I thought the casting was well done. Every character was cast pretty well. Rorschach was excellent, the best part of the film. I only had one real problem with the film, the sex scene in 'Archie' was waaaaaaay too gratuitous... In the book, there was nothing like it. I gotta remove a couple respect point from Snyder for that... he was doing so well, up to that point.

I now realize why the sex scene had to be a bit long... i would suppose the flamethrower was supposed to coincide with an orgasm (whether by nite owl, spectre, or both at the same time, who knows?) otherwise, the joke is lost. So if you get the flamethrower after just 10 seconds of doin it.... hehe. in the comics, it would work with a few panels, but in the movie, a sex scene that short is a "what, you're already done??" moment. :p

Under the Hood was the only reason I was considering picking it up. So is it animated or live action? How long is it?

Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic dvd is pretty damn impressive, btw.

Both shorts are around a half hour Under the hood being longer of the two. Black freighter is animated and done fairly well but just like the comic it by itself isn't anything special.

As for under the hood it is live action its set up like a old fairly grainy 80s TV interview with commercials and all lol. Has the same actors that played the characters in the movie. So Nite Owl 1 Silk Spectre 1, Molock...yea a little bit of continuity mess up I guess and the comedian for a brief moment. It's pretty good nice little add on to the movie as a whole. Talks about the old minute men and Nite owl 1's back story among others the rise and fall of masked heroes and such.

QUOTE (Gubaba @ Mar 19 2009, 11:59 PM) *

I never got the impression that anything was difficult for him (except seeing through tachyons). Where did you get this information?

It's just conjecture.

I also got the feeling that it was only rebuilding his body from scratch for the first time that was difficult for him, but what bothers me about him reconstructing himself is the fact that Jon admittingly "never made a decision for himself." When his atoms were broken down anything left of his conscious had to be thinking "alright I am dead, off to heaven I go." Yet this indecisive guy is the only one to labor in rebuilding a human body from some lingering conscience for a month come on. I think out of all the countless criminals, Vietnamese soldiers, and Rorschach who were all blasted to atoms and all had more guts then Jon, at least one or more should have reconstructed themselves as well. Perhaps, not a complete human body, but in the very least a floating head or something. Come to think of it if Jon can resurrect himself twice from nothing into a big blue body, I think the only think that made the never compromising Rorschach accept death over struggling to become a godlike being like Dr Manhattan was the fact that he took off his mask so he would die as Walter Kovacks.

I also got the feeling that it was only rebuilding his body from scratch for the first time that was difficult for him, but what bothers me about him reconstructing himself is the fact that Jon admittingly "never made a decision for himself." When his atoms were broken down anything left of his conscious had to be thinking "alright I am dead, off to heaven I go." Yet this indecisive guy is the only one to labor in rebuilding a human body from some lingering conscience for a month come on. I think out of all the countless criminals, Vietnamese soldiers, and Rorschach who were all blasted to atoms and all had more guts then Jon, at least one or more should have reconstructed themselves as well. Perhaps, not a complete human body, but in the very least a floating head or something. Come to think of it if Jon can resurrect himself twice from nothing into a big blue body, I think the only think that made the never compromising Rorschach accept death over struggling to become a godlike being like Dr Manhattan was the fact that he took off his mask so he would die as Walter Kovacks.

Big sticking point: No one else who died in the comic was killed by Intrinsic Field Removal. That made all the difference.

Also, I never really took Jon at his word that he never made a decision for himself...he was ALWAYS trying to put the blame on other people, for absolutely everything.

Big sticking point: No one else who died in the comic was killed by Intrinsic Field Removal. That made all the difference.

Bubastis was killed by the Intrinsic Field Remover machine, but then again he was a lynx not a person. Perhaps there really was a "God in the machine" that made all the difference. Still I allways though that Dr. Manhattan's "death wave," as I like to call it when he kills people with a wave of the hand, removed Intrinsic Fields thus exploding people atoms. Thats why I always felt that by killing people the very way he was granted godhood that sooner or later he would create an antichrist to strike him down in a kind of acension suicide similar to the fate of Stargate's ascended villian Anubis. That I believe would have been a better ending for Dr. Manhattan, as the overpowered hero archetype that is done in by the use of his own godlike power.

Also, I never really took Jon at his word that he never made a decision for himself...he was ALWAYS trying to put the blame on other people, for absolutely everything

Well that is the thing about Jon he suffered from an External locus of control hence he would allow others to make decisions for him and then blame them. Those with external locus of control feel that fate, chance, and anybody but themselves decide their fate. Jon was written to be the polar opposite of Rorschach who always took his fate into his own hands.

Edited by Freiflug88

I think Manhattan is more the symbol of military nuclear power, that is something very powerful but unable to take its own decision and always controled by someone else (the guy who has the finger on the button); on the human side, it's also more interesting to consider this super hero as having all powers except the most important: the power to take a decision

Concerning the removal of Intrinsic Fields, I clearly remember one of the big head of the research labo (the one where Jon was disintegrated...) saying that the exact circumstances of this accident couldn't be reproduced again. Think about it: if creating super heroes was as simple as that, every nuclear powered nations in the world of Watchmen would have their own Dr. Manhattan...

• 1 month later...