The Watchmen

wolfx

What did you think of the Watchmen movie?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Watchmen movie

• 5 stars - Its awesome! I love it! I couldn't ask for more.
    • 4 stars - Pretty good adaptation. Wished it was more accurate to the comic though.
    • 3 stars - It was alright. They shouldn't have mosaic-ed Manhattan's unmentionables.
    • 2 stars - Barely passable....they got alot of facts from the comic wrong! The timelines are screwed up!
    • 1 star - The only great thing about this movie were the sex scenes
  2. 2. Did you read the Watchmen comic before watching the movie? Did you enjoy the movie overall?

• Read the comic , enjoyed the movie.
    • Read the comic, hated the movie.
    • Did not read the comic, enjoyed the movie.
    • Did no read the comic, hated the movie.

I thought the trailer was great but just to be a killjoy how many times have we seen a pretty trailer and the movie turned out to be less than expected? I have high hopes for this film but I also have my doubts.

Saw the trailer b4 Dark Knight. The visuals are what I'd imagine (much like 300 did 4 me) but the music was oddly placed (Smashing Pumpkins from the Batman and Robin soundtrack?). I have high expectations for this one Zach Snider has another winner in Watchmen.

Snyder is currently fighting the studio to keep the theatrical cut at 3 hours, or at least break it into two movies.

Things like this give me hope for it.

Edited by Shmitty

Snyder is currently fighting the studio to keep the theatrical cut at 3 hours, or at least break it into two movies.

Things like this give me hope for it.

Remember when films had intermissions? I say we bring that back.

If Snyder wants Watchmen to be 3-hours, I am completely fine with that. I can put on a pair of Depends Undergarments, no problem.

Remember when films had intermissions? I say we bring that back.

If Snyder wants Watchmen to be 3-hours, I am completely fine with that. I can put on a pair of Depends Undergarments, no problem.

It's the movie theaters that are the problem though. They *don't* want intermissions. After you've dropped your dough at the concessions counter they want you out of the theater as soon as possible so another set of people can come in and do the same thing.

That this is clocking in with a long run time is a good sign. If anything, we should get an extended dvd if the studio does cut it down(and most likely sink it).

It's the movie theaters that are the problem though. They *don't* want intermissions. After you've dropped your dough at the concessions counter they want you out of the theater as soon as possible so another set of people can come in and do the same thing.

That this is clocking in with a long run time is a good sign. If anything, we should get an extended dvd if the studio does cut it down(and most likely sink it).

The 3 hour run time is just what Snyder feels he can get for the theatrical (even though it seems like he'll have to fight for it), the real cut is supposed to be closer to 4 hours, and will be on the DVD release with the Black Freighter.

The 3 hour run time is just what Snyder feels he can get for the theatrical (even though it seems like he'll have to fight for it), the real cut is supposed to be closer to 4 hours, and will be on the DVD release with the Black Freighter.

Dope.

I believe him when he says he is dedicated to being faithful. The longer it is, the better, I say.

I just finished reading The Watchmen for the first time. IT'S FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!!!! :D The movie looks perfect, I hope it will be popular. :)

Cheers! Good to see another new fan. Watchmen is awesome. Did you just get the regular graphic novel or did you splurge and buy the big Absolute Watchmen hardcover with slipcase? I got the big boy and boy is it worth it :)

What we got something against the Smashing Pumpkins? :huh:

"The Smashing Pumpkins suck! I hate you, and I hate the bands you like!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a great video :)

If I don't directly link (and I usually don't; this was a rare instance) I find it best to at least italicize and wrap any reference in quotations at the very least. That way most people realize you're quoting something and if they don't know there's a good chance someone will ask.

It's a great video :)

If I don't directly link (and I usually don't; this was a rare instance) I find it best to at least italicize and wrap any reference in quotations at the very least. That way most people realize you're quoting something and if they don't know there's a good chance someone will ask.

No no I just say the quote and apparently nobody I drop it on knows about Red vs. Blue sadly. And it's such a good vid...

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet. Interesting read, but I'd say it's overhyped on the whole. I do like all the layers the original work had, so hopefully they translate to the film well. Its funny too because I know pretty much exactly what parts the stuff in the trailer is from. Wonder how they'll cram everything in...

Sweet. Interesting read, but I'd say it's overhyped on the whole. I do like all the layers the original work had, so hopefully they translate to the film well. Its funny too because I know pretty much exactly what parts the stuff in the trailer is from. Wonder how they'll cram everything in...

Zack Snyder is reportedly pushing the studio to let him clock the movie near the 3-hour mark. I've heard they want him to drop it down closer to the 2.5 hour mark. We'll see though.

Looks like Kevin Smith got a private screening of the Watchmen

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/08/15/kev...-pulled-it-off/

Very good sign. However I haven't put complete trust in Kevin Smith's nerd-dar since his saying the last Star Wars prequel was just as good as the OT. It wasn't. It dropped the ball; it just didn't drop it as far as the other two preceding movies did. He's generally on track, but sometimes he's way too positive and gets too caught up in the hype. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is the former and not the latter.

I was EXPECTING to get the trailer for this before Dark Knight but did not. Very annoyed. The Smashing Pumpkins song for the trailer was excellent. Would make a great theme for any comic film. Both versions of the song are cool.

To be honest, I would not mind a slightly shorter version in the cinema as long as we got an extended version on DVD. I thought that this idea worked really well with LOTR and if they wanted to do a cinema re-release of the extended version later, they could.

If it was truly successful, I wonder if they would be idiotic enough to attempt Watchmen 2. That would be funny.

Taksraven

Anyone else hear about this?

Fracking A$$holes :angry::angry:

The sad part is, Fox wants to kill the production rather than split the profits or ceded rights or maybe even a settlement. They have till the beginning of next year to fix this cuz production is done and they are in post-production.

You would think they would have stuff like this sorted out BEFORE they started filming... :angry:

Thing is, Fox didn't even make a claim until February, so they'd already begun filming by then (likely had a lot done already). Not only that, but trying to kill its release instead of wanting money? They're just being dicks so that Warner will give them as much cash as they can. Huge dicks.

Anyone else hear about this?

Fracking A$$holes :angry::angry:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799072...yid=13&cs=1

Pretty staggering stuff. You would think that things would have to be pretty well sorted out legally before a project could get to this level of production.

I think that Fox is talking crap, knowing full well that there is no way WB would let them stop this project from being released. Fox is just trying to up the money they get.

BUT, if things go go badly wrong, and I mean BADLY, we might just have the most expensive unreleased film in history. (Bootleg versions would appear on the net though.)

Taksraven

I'm no lawyer but I'd imagine that Fox did itself no favors in waiting so long to bring the issue up. I believe they had an obligation to act when they became aware of the infringement and are supposed to act in a manner as to reduce damages to all parties. Waiting until a movie has been filmed before pressing an issue that has been public knowledge for years is bad play. I also imagine Fox's hard line stance is just posturing to try to work out another quarter of a percent in any deal that gets brokered.

I think Fox didn't care at first because they figured no one would be able to do the movie right. Then WB came a started eveything and still Fox was like yeah this is still going to be a crap movie, WB hasn't done a decent superhero flick except Batman Begins ( all this being said before TDK came out). Then they saw the footage in Feb and were like, "Oh poo!!!! It looks amazing, okay we now need to put a stop to this somehow. Wait don't we have the rights to this?? Yeah let's tank this film."

Fox's response posted on Entertainment Weekly

...Asked for a response to the fan uproar, a Fox spokesman said in a statement: “Of course we are concerned about the fans; however, any disappointment from the core fans should not be directed toward Fox. What we are doing is seeking to enforce our distribution rights to Watchmen. Legal copyright ownership should not just be swept under the rug and ignored....

Declaring defense of copyright for this generation of movie goers is like lamenting the umbrella you forgot during a torrential thunderstorm. And the condecension toward "core fans" in that article is like a slap in the face. Fox's PR department should be shot.

The ruling so far is that the litigation can move forward so it's up to WB to put forth the proof that Fox needs to shove it up their a-hole. Now either WB screwed up royally, or Fox needs to crawl back into their corner.

Despite what their lawyers may say, Fox is probably just looking for a payday. That would explain why they waited so late in the game before coming forward, just when the stakes are at their highest for Warner Bros. Stopping WB's Watchmen during pre-production would have earned Fox nothing.

I find it amusing that fanboys are furious at Fox. I've read and have been thoroughly satisfied with the Watchmen graphic novel, therefore I have no interest in seeing a live-action version of it.