Idroplano da caccia sperimentale Savoia S.21.

...or, as its better known, "the plane from Porco Rosso". :)

I've been waiting forever for someone to bring out a pre-assembled, pre-painted version of this, and Japanese model makers Finemolds have finally obliged. This thing is essentially a plastic model kit with the details already applied and requiring a small amount of self-assembly. It certainly betrays its kit origins as it feels as fragile as matchsticks; pretty much the first thing I did with it is snap one of the landing float attachments by applying not very much pressure at all (thankfully corrected with a bit of glue). The box is a minor work of art in itself, with a velcro flap so that you can admire the contents and a lovely design which evokes the true spirit of Miyazakis work.

Experts will note that this is the original version of the aircraft, before the plane was rebuilt following events in Porco Rosso. I prefer the sleeker engine design of this one, but difficult decisions abound - the other version, after all, comes with a minature Fio as well...

post-745-1173702069_thumb.jpg

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I thought this was a topic about the real S.21 and early Schneider Trophy planes.

But the Porco Rosso plane is pretty cool too. Doesn't look anything like an S.21 though, no matter what they want to call it.

How much was this? And why didn't they do something more detailed with those gun troughs?

Sorry, I forget how many aircraft nuts - I mean, experts there are around here. :) It cost 4,700 yen, which is about three times the cost of the uncompleted version. And you thought that Yamato liked to hold its customers upside down until the money falls out... :p

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Sorry, I forget how many aircraft nuts - I mean, experts there are around here. :) It cost 4,700 yen, which is about three times the cost of the uncompleted version. And you thought that Yamato liked to hold its customers upside down until the money falls out... :p

Is that 1/48? The kit version has pretty extensive interior detail, as well as decent gun troughs. Looks like you pay more, for less detail.

Still a cool display piece.