Call Me Tonight - OVA - 1986

Area88

IPB Image

Call Me Tonight was made in 1986 and was the first in a series of fanservice OVA's from Pink Noise in the mid 80s. While most shows that use fan service as it's core are often shallow and repetive, Call Me Tonight breaks the mould and makes it's an integral part of it's heart warming and comical story. Infact i loved the story and characters so much that i've watched this anime quite a number of times now. Although it only has a short running time of only 30 minutes, i actually felt it was the perfect length and achieved everything it set out to do.

Visually this is a very beautiful anime and defintly one of my favourites to look at. The character designs and colour pallete seem to be almost a combination of Megazone 23 (Part I) and Dirty Pair. The soundtrack is mainly upbeat 80's style jazzy J-Pop with the standout theme being the song 'Please Call Me Tonight' which plays at both the very start and end of the OVA.

Sadly like so many other great OVA's of it's time this title has not been reissued for release on dvd in Japan. I do expect this anime to get released eventually though as most of the AIC catalogue is gradually finding it's way out on to dvd slowly but surely.

Overall i would personally say that this is once again a personal favourite of mine. It is one of the few shows daring enough to blend an unique variety of genres including romance, comedy, science fiction and horror. Also with the bonus of it being a one shot OVA, it makes great replay value with very little time commitment needed. Infact I recommend all Pink Noise OVA's especially Body Jack (OVA 4) which comes in a close second place to Call Me Tonight.

Here is a list of the whole Pink Noise series:

Pink Noise OVA 1: Call Me Tonight (1986) - Download Here

Pink Noise OVA 2: Campus Special Investigator Hikaruon (1987) - Download Here

Pink Noise OVA 3: Evil Dragon War Chronicles 1 (1987)

Pink Noise OVA 4: Body Jack (1987)

Availability: VHS (Japan), Laserdisc (Japan), Fansub

Edited by Area88

Yay for old-school 80's anime! You know, the good kind of anime.

I watched this show about a week ago when Area88 found the torrent link for me. It was definitely enjoyable. Gotta love those character designs!

Oh yeah, I had to download and install Media Player Classic, and then change it's default settings, to get the subtitles to work.

Director: Tatsuya Okamoto

Screenplay: Tatsuya Okamoto

Character Design: Kumiko Takahashi

Art director: Katsuyoshi Kanamura (Studio Jack)

Animation director:

Kumiko Takahashi

Masatoshi Nagashima

Satoshi Yamazaki

Cool! Thanks!

Kumiko Takahashi did the character work... I wonder if she had any influence other then that. Funnier then hell that she helps to make a great OVA, but just can't seem to finish her own materials. lol!

Satoshi Yamazaki also sounds familar and someone I should know.

Cool! Thanks!

Kumiko Takahashi did the character work... I wonder if she had any influence other then that. Funnier then hell that she helps to make a great OVA, but just can't seem to finish her own materials. lol!

Satoshi Yamazaki also sounds familar and someone I should know.

I think you're probably thinking of Rumiko Takahashi creator of Ranma and Inuyasha as the one who can't finnish her work....

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...ople.php?id=149

Kumiko mostly seems to be staff on animation projects not a storyteller in her own right.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...eople.php?id=11

Yeah, this is a great OVA from those golden days when they were so prolific! I downloaded this and Hikaruon a while ago and was impressed by the second Pink Noise production too. I've heard tell that there was a torrent at some point for Body Jack, but it obviously disappeared long ago, because I never found it... There's still a few other really nice 80s OVA torrents out there, like Dragon's Heaven and Cosmo Police Justy, so my search wasn't completely in vain! :)